• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Magic is Back - Share your Experience! Superthread

I can do a ride list if you guys want but my last post was getting too long!
TLDR- 16 rides in 12 hours. Two long snack breaks and about 45-60 minutes for our lunch and dinner. Over 26,000 steps!!!
Yes ride list please if you have time :)

I went already but have friends going in June, so I’m passing on info I read on here to them so they are prepared.

In park at 8:30am
RSR 25 minute wait
Incredicoaster 5 minutes
Wheel of death walk on
Goofys 15 minutes
GOTG 35 minutes

Hopped to Disneyland gates 1:30ish
Gates/Main Street -empty! walked around and cried a bit lol
Space mountain 45 minutes but there was a delay which they announced and told us we could stay In line. Probably would have been 30 minutes (posted 45) also cried when we got off SM. Lol.
Star tours 25 minutes (posted 45)
Splash mountain 20 minutes (posted 45)
Thunder Mountain 20 mins (45)
Toads 10 mins (25) teared up a bit in fantasyland :)
Alice 10 mins (25)
Teacups walked on
Roger rabbit walked on
ROTR not sure about this one . BG 182
Pirates 15 (45) this line earlier said 45 and it was snaked all the way down to thunder mountain. I bet it was really 45 then maybe even 60min
Thunder again 10mins
Rockets waited one cycle
17 rides! 8:30-9pm
Two long snack breaks. Ate at Award Weiners and French Market for lunch/dinner
All rides after about 7pm were almost walk on

This is always true of any Disney day!

Also true of life in general. 😆

I also appreciate ALL the reports. It really helps to get a range of thoughts and perceptions and experiences. My daughter and I are headed back on Thursday, and it’s clear that a lot has changed since we were there April 30!

Yup! Agreed.

And definitely very helpful the reports from in state visitors! Certainly aids in helping those in state who are holding off attending for whatever reason and those out of state until they are permitted to go 😊

Let me start with.....we had a great day! Seeing all those Facebook posts and experiences here really had me nervous but while it wasn’t “empty” and lines LOOK sooooooo long, everything moves quickly and our longest wait was about 30 minutes. Which when you are moving almost constantly, is doable!
Parking- we tried for Anaheim hotel at 0730 and it was full. Found one of the first spots on the first level at garden walk and was in line on the harbor side by 7:40ish. The lines are daunting. The amount of people in that area was overwhelming especially after the fact that we have all been a bit sheltered during the pandemic. BUT holy cow can Disney move people. The lines were zigzagged all the way through the whole corridor. We were pretty much right in the middle. Got there at 7:40iah. Line started moving at 8ish. Through security by about 8:15 through the gates of DCA by about 8:30.
DCA- headed straight to RSR and waited about 20 minutes. Off the ride around 9ish. The wait at that point was 120 per the app but I bet it was more like 60 minutes. They really inflate wait times.
Did incredicoaster and the swing wheel of death pretty much walk on. At this point we were starving and none of the food carts were open. They opened the churro carts at 1200!
Advice tip #1 bring snacks for the morning. We didn’t want to bring a bag so we didn’t have anything to eat
We did goofys, it said 30 minute wait and was more like 15. Mobile ordered at Cozy cone and then took a long break.
Advice tip #2 mobile order EARLY. Have an idea of where you will be later and order main meals at least two to three hours advance. This can be difficult because you also have to be flexible with rides as they can balloon quickly! But then shrink quickly as well. Snacks were a little easier. We booked most of our snacks while in lien and then headed there right after the ride. Worked well. Make “I am here” and you are walking over. Not when you get there.
So at this point it was 11 and I was feeling discouraged, the line for Monsters was 60minutes. I wanted to go to Disneyland but we had two hours until we could hop. Husband and kid did GOTG and I shopped a bit.Ate at Award Wieners.
Tip 3- menus are much smaller , look at them ahead of time. Also dont Eat at smoke jumpers , the amount of people over there at lunch time was insane.
Finally headed to Disneyland. We all cried , it was very emotional. Disneyland was a totally different story. We had so much fun and did every ride we wanted except HM and that’s really just because we ran out of time. We rode rides until 9pm exactly and the rides were all walk on from about 7:30 on.
This has gotten too long so I’ll stop here but feel feee to ask questions
One last tip....know your rides. Know which ones are slow loaders and which ones eat people to determine if a line is really long or just looks long
Thank you for sharing! Did you stay at DL the rest of your day? How would you have felt if you had to stay at DCA all day (no park hopper)?

Thank you for sharing! Did you stay at DL the rest of your day? How would you have felt if you had to stay at DCA all day (no park hopper)?

Yea we stayed at Disneyland the rest of the day.
I would have been very sad if we stayed at DCA all day. If I had to do it all again I would have stayed in Disneyland all day and skipped DCA all together

How has mobile order been for people who've been recently? I'm reading conflicting reports about long lines at the pick-up windows.

Yea we stayed at Disneyland the rest of the day.
I would have been very sad if we stayed at DCA all day. If I had to do it all again I would have stayed in Disneyland all day and skipped DCA all together
Did you choose DCA as your starting park because DL was unavailable or because you like DCA? Sorry for all the questions but I’m trying to decide if we are going to add a park hopper to park DCA ticket. We love DCA and usually happily stay all day but that was pre-covid and I’m not sure if there’s enough to do at the moment with some things not available there and line rides long.

RE: the mobile pick up, I've never used it in the past so I'm not sure how well it goes. But it sounds like even if you return to the pickup window at the time the app tells you to, you might still end up waiting? Now is the because they have yet to actually prepare your order (and only prepare it once you've showed up) or is it because so many other people have the same return time and are taking their turns picking up?

Sounds like there's a lotta reports here on crowds for things like the popular rides, getting into the park, lining up for the parking trams, etc. How about the traditionally really boring stuff: The Disney museum (outside the Abe Lincoln experience), the fire engine, the black and white movie theater on main street, and all the various gift shops?

Sounds like there's a lotta reports here on crowds for things like the popular rides, getting into the park, lining up for the parking trams, etc. How about the traditionally really boring stuff: The Disney museum (outside the Abe Lincoln experience), the fire engine, the black and white movie theater on main street, and all the various gift shops?
I don’t think any of those attractions are open.

RE: the mobile pick up, I've never used it in the past so I'm not sure how well it goes. But it sounds like even if you return to the pickup window at the time the app tells you to, you might still end up waiting? Now is the because they have yet to actually prepare your order (and only prepare it once you've showed up) or is it because so many other people have the same return time and are taking their turns picking up?

I don’t think the museum near Lincoln is open. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Take my experience with a grain of salt as I went the first 2 weekends of the park opening, so crowds are different: I didn’t have any waits for stores. It was very easy to pop in and out to browse.There are CM’s outside of them I’m assuming watching the attendance but I never had a line. Only mini-line (if you want to call it that) was for the emporium on Main Street, but once you got in the line it moved and we all went inside. I have a feeling they put it there to prevent a mob of people from crowding at the door to go in.

Hi everyone - we went on March 21-22. The tl;dr is that we had a wonderful trip, in large part due to our expectations being properly set thanks to the others who have posted in this thread.

We actually just moved to SoCal last November, so we were really excited to be taking our first trip as California residents! We stayed at the Tropicana - arriving Thursday night and eating at Downtown Disney that evening. We had reservations (and park-hoppers) for DL on Friday and DCA on Saturday.

Before I get into details, some perspective. It's hard for me to believe that Disney has been at this for only 3 weeks after being closed for over a year. And they've been dealing with the newly-increased capacity for only a few days. In some ways, that shows, but overall, they're doing an incredible job considering the myriad of seemingly arbitrary restrictions they need to which they need to adhere.

The good: Being back in Disneyland! In some ways, everything else is just details. It was amazing to be back. The park is in great shape! The carousel and HM have gotten some attention, for good reason. The cast members were amazing! They're wonderful at any time, but usually, on a two day trip, it's inevitable that I'll encounter some CMs who aren't thrilled to be there. Not on this trip - they felt as excited to be there as we were.

Wait times were manageable. I would say for most attractions, we waited between 15-30 minutes. A few were more like 45-50; the longest wait we had was for RSR on Saturday morning. We got into the park at about 8:30, and the line had already been built-up to about 60 minutes by the time we joined the queue. Many have pointed out that lines that look horribly long usually move really quickly - that was typically our experience as well. The exceptions were attractions that we don't usually expect to wait for - we probably waited 45 minutes to ride the carousel, due to its limited capacity. Similarly, we waited over 20 minutes to get into the Enchanted Tiki Room.

Over the course of the two days, we had no problem riding everything that was important to us, and a few things more than once. We managed to get boarding groups for Rise of the Resistance on both days of the trip (Friday at 7am, Saturday at noon). The lines for Rise look really long once you're in a boarding group, but I think we waited only 10-15 minutes before we were actually on the ride. I don't actually hate lines - I like to take in all the details of the park and the queues while waiting in them, so this wasn't a big problem for me. My kids (ages 5 and 9) did start to get bored, but overall they did pretty well. Not being able to snack in line was a bummer, though.

The boarding group for Indiana Jones was a little frustrating. We got a boarding group, but we still waited in line for about 40-45 minutes before were were actually on the attraction. Having to get a boarding group, be flexible with your callback time, and then still wait in a long line was unfortunate.

Food required more planning and was probably our least favorite effect of all the restrictions. We've been fans of mobile order since it was introduced because of the way it reduces wait times. Not on this trip - in many cases, you need to plan over an hour in advance to get a mobile ordering window. Then, once the window opens, you need to tell the restaurant when you're there and wait between 0-20 minutes for them to prepare your order. The app doesn't give you any real indication of how long you'll be waiting. Next, once your order is ready, you need to wait in a line to pick up up while wondering if your order is really prepared and getting cold (Ronto Roasters) or whether they're just preparing each order as the party arrives at the window (Cozy Cone Churros). Finally, once you have your food, it's time to find a designated dining area where you can consume it. Sometimes this is easy; other times it's a challenge. In Galaxy's Edge, it seemed to be especially difficult - we saw lots of people wondering around with Blue Milk trying to find a place where they could enjoy it. (We managed to find a table over by Docking Bay 7 after we went to the Milk Stand).

Snacking is a big part of the Disney Experience for us, but it's really not pleasant when it requires so much planning. We also noticed that we didn't drink a lot of water on this trip since you need to find a designated dining area to do so. The weather was really moderate (mid 70s) this weekend, but that would be an issue for any hot days. The snack carts don't require mobile ordering, but there seemed to be a lot fewer of them open than usual.

Having queues snake into so many parts of the park did diminish the experience. Parts of the parks that we like to use to get away from crowds and just take in the atmosphere, such as the Snow White Wishing well, are places for queues. Pixar Pier was downright unpleasant with all the queues (for food and attractions) filling up the walkway.

Masks weren't a problem for the most part - the moderate temps certainly helped here. However, we did find it harder to hear our kids (especially our 5yo) in noisy areas when we couldn't see their mouths. After 14 months of this, I thought I had gotten pretty good at keeping my mask from fogging my glasses, but the shape of the 3D glasses on Star Tours meant that I spent most of that ride unable to see anything.

All that aside, however, we had an amazing trip. We're glad we went, but we're looking forward to being back after some of these restrictions are lifted. As hokey as this sounds, going to Disney Parks really does seem to rejuvenate us. This has been a stressful year, and the weeks leading up to this trip had their own stresses for our family. After getting back from this trip, like so many others, the sun seems a little brighter and our feet feel a little bit lighter. It's wonderful that that hasn't changed.

Last edited:
How has mobile order been for people who've been recently? I'm reading conflicting reports about long lines at the pick-up windows.
It seems to vary from day to day, and week days vs weekends, You can check mobile order return times from home in the app, just start an order & it lists each location with the earliest return time available. So you can see places like French Market & Mint Julep bar have longer waits for return times than Galactic Grill, for example. I’d suggest doing this for the 2-3 days ahead of your visit so the info is current. This will change as park attendance increases or park hours are extended.

We also went yesterday (Saturday) and started in DCA and then hopped to DL around 2:15. DCA was CRAZY busy. DL, but comparison, was much more chill. I didn't expect that. Overall, yesterday was MUCH more enjoyable than Mother's Day. We all had a great day and spent 10 hours in the parks. We did some things differently after our first park experience, and those things made a huge difference in our enjoyment of the day, so I will share some of what we did.

We arrived at the parking structure almost at the same exact time as Mother's Day, at 8:35. This time, though, we were paying for our parking by 8:45 and parked by 8:50. We had been planning to walk through the DtD way, using the pedestrian bridge, but DH needed to use the restroom, and once you go down there it's a pain to go back up via elevator and walk over to the other end of the structure, so we just went the standard way. The walk along the tram route still sucks, by the way.

We had a bit of a wait to get into DCA as we picked the ONE line that only had one turnstile open, rather than 2. We got in finally around 9:30. Wait times werr already ballooned up and the park felt very crowded in the entry plaza area. We grabbed a DAS return time for Toy Story and headed straight to Pixar Pier to do the rides we missed last time. Little Mermaid first, posted wait time was 45 (!) but was actually only like 5 min. That was weirdly overexaggerated. Kids wanted swings next but they broke down. So, we headed to Inside Out, where we waited about 10 minutes (posted 20). Did Toy Story next, and it broke down just as we were about to board. We decided to wait and it was back up and running less than 10 minutes later. By then, the swings w were back up so we headed there next and found a 45 min posted wait. I glanced at the line and figured it would be more like 15 (ended up being 20). By this point it was 11:05am and we had a reservation at the Alfresco Terrace for 11:30. I knew it would be close but we made it. DH sat out the swings so I had him go pick up a mobile ordered pretzel for the kids from Sonoma Terrace so they would have a snack, since the food at Alfresco is a bit fancy for them. He waited like 15 minutes for this stupid pretzel. My gosh. He said they weren't even fulfilling orders and telling you they were ready. There was a line and people would go up and say what they ordered and they would get it for them. So, he had to stand in a long line since the place just opened at 11:30 and there were already a lot of people waiting for mobile orders.

We were seated around 11:45 for our reservation. When I tell you that this reservation was the best decision I made for today, I am not exaggeting. DH was starting to get squirrelly by this point. The park was more crowded than we expected and he was starting to get anxious and then the pretzel situation annoyed him (again with the pretzels at Sonoma, 😆). Our experience at the Terrace was PHENOMENAL. We did have to prove our Legacy Passholder status to be seated. The drinks and food were amazing, it was so calm up there and we sat for about 90 minutes just relaxing, drinking and snacking. My son even ordered the CUTEST drink...A Bug's Drink. He loved it! I loved the nods to old DCA in the food and drink names. We had the Mulholland Meatballs and the Slider Invasion. Both were SO good! The sauce on the meatballs was incredibly spicy, though, so beware! For drinks, I had the Drop In...If You Dare. Excellent and STRONG. I also tried the Ultra Flight, a trip of gin drinks inspired by Soarin over CA. I could not stomach the "sea" inspired one. Literally tasted like bad cologne, but it was pretty! Husband just had boring beers.

While here we scored BG 90 for RotR with no effort. We then headed to RSR using our DAS. Immediately after the ride we quickly checked in for our Flo's mobile order pickup time (1 minute before our window expired). They said immediately that the food was ready for pickup, but we still had quite a wait after arrival. They put us in another numbered line to wait and they didn't actually prepare our order until we got to the counter. We had customized a burger and they made it after the rest of our order was already on the tray. DH had a bit of a time finding a table. NONE of the tables inside Flo's are available, which I don't understand. I noticed a standby order line at Flo's.

So, our Boarding Group ended up being called an hour before the estimated time, at 1:01. At 1:01, we were still sitting at the Terrace and needed to still ride RSR and get our lunch at Flo's, and I knew we wouldn't make it by 2:01. Since we needed a DAS return time, I spoke to a GR CM at the kiosk and asked if we could show up late if we got the return time before our BG time expired. He had me take a screen shot of the BG number just in case, but it ended up not being an issue. We got the front row this time for RotR and my husband (and the rest of us) liked the ride MUCH better than being behind the plexiglass. It really makes all the difference being in the front row. For those wondering, the boarding colors blue and grey are front row. Red and Orange are the back row.

We did MFSR next, after an impromptu Green milk break (only did this for my son because the return window was immediate). Posted wait for MF was 40 minutes (we watched it switch from 50). Actual was like 15, max. We then rode BTMRR using DAS (this line was LONG and was posted at 45), no idea actual, but it stretched almost all the way down the trail to the tables put out as overflow Red Rose Tavern. We did some fantasyland rides next. Tea Cups (5 min wait), Dumbo (posted 30, actual 7). DH and younger DS then headed to Star Tours while older DS and I went to pick up a coffee for DH from the bakery (by this time, it was about 5pm and while the return window was immediate, the options were limited to the raspberry macaron, the toasted cheese and soup, one salad and the turkey sandwich, as well as coffee and soda. So, if you want food from the bakery, get it early.

We headed to Tomorrowland and found a table across from the launch bay under a covering. Sat for a LONG time here and relaxed. The coffee break was much needed by DH. He sat while I took the kids on Autopia (5 min wait posted, 5 min actual). We then sat for a bit more and headed back to Fabtasyland around 6 to ride Peter Pan using DAS. That was my special request for the day, as we missed it last time. Up next was dinner for younger DS at Red Rose Tavern. Had a LONG wait here to pick up food. Same situation as Flo's where food was "ready" immediately, but had to stand in line inside (very controlled by CMs) and then had to wait again for the food to actually be prepared once I got to the counter. Sat inside after not finding any tables outside. When I went in to pick up food, I noticed lots of empty tables inside so texted DH to come in. They almost wouldn't let him in until he told them he was with me and I was waiting on a mobile order. After dinner, rode Casey Jr (posted 25 min, actual 10 or so). Then one more ride on Big Thunder where we asked for the back and were placed in rows 8 and 9. Younger DS expressed some disappointment (he wanted to go FAST and our last 2 rides had been in the front car). I told him "this is as far back as they could put us because the very back already has people in the rows. It's okay." I guess the CM overheard and pulled us out of place and said we could have the back row of the train on the other side. That was very sweet of him. I think he saw DS's ear defenders and realized that the back row was "really important" to him. ❤

We also had some really great interactions with plaids at the kiosks. I am trying to make my son take responsibility and ask for the return times himself, since he's 15 now. He gets very nervous since he has a speech impediment and sometimes has a hard time getting words to come out, but I'm trying to get him used to being his own advocate. He did great and the cast members were so kind and patient with with today. A few joked with him and he loved that. He loves jokes. One asked him which Thunder Mountain he wanted, big or small. That got a laugh out of him. He then said "Lightning Mountain " and the CM replied back, "that's in the other park." 😆

After this we went to DtD, and I posted a bit in another thread about how INSANELY crowded it was here. We planned to get pizzas for DH, older DS, and myself at Napolini. Getting there was like salmon swimming upstream, but we managed to grab the last table outside and I went in to order. We had our pizzas within 5 minutes. Kudos to Napolini for efficiency and fantastic pizzas. We love Naples/Napolini and are SO happy the quick serve is back open! Mobile ordered (via their website) some ice cream for the kids from Salt and Straw and brought it back to the table for them to eat there, which was a good move because there was nowhere else to sit anywhere near there.

After dinner we headed back to the parking structure via DtD. What a difference! Even though it was crowded, there was music playing and stuff to look at and then once we left DtD, the pathway back to the structure was peaceful and nicely lit. DH commented "way more enjoyable walk than that depressing tram route."

We were back in the car around 9pm and back hole by 9:15. Overall, a great day. Having those 2 long breaks to just sit and relax were KEY. I won't go back to the parks again without a reservation somewhere midday or so to sit down and have some food/drinks. I already made Lamplight Lounge reservations for 2 of our July trip days, and will keep trying to add Alfresco Terrace as well. We aren't usually big sit down meal people so this kind of thing works for us. Also, we will be at the Grand and will be able to leave the parks and just have some pool or down time in the room and it will help a lot. Our days of being APs and just hitting the parks for 3-4 hours and leaving when we've had enough are probably over for the foreseeable future. Now that we are paying full price, we have that "need to get our money's worth" mentality and we are not used to 10-12 hour touring days. Having the breaks helps a lot. It's unfortunate that right now, this is hard to schedule in. Hopefully more places will open and capacity will be back to 100% after June 15. Even something like the Railroad isn't a reliable way to just sit and chill for awhile. It's hard to get ON the train right now and my kids were upset upse that it stopped running at 3. We had no chance to ride it yesterday. I promised them when we come back in July we will ride.

As a general statement, I found the parks, especially DCA to be very crowded up until around 6pm, then it seemed to empty out pretty dramatically. Guessing lots of families with little ones are just done by that point, and people left in droves to get dinner in DtD.

What do you think the reason for the over inflated wait times are? Are they just fluctuating too fast for them to keep up?

What do you think the reason for the over inflated wait times are? Are they just fluctuating too fast for them to keep up?
I’ve heard several people now (including the boyfriend of an attractions CM, who might actually know) suggest that they sometimes bump them up when they’re out of room for people to wait. If you try to get in a “50 minute” line in Fantasyland, for instance, sometimes they’ll tell you the line is full and ask you to come back later, but the actual wait is like 15-20 minutes. It seems that “jacking up the wait time” can be used as a tool to drive people away.

Of course, this isn’t applicable everywhere and doesn’t seem to be consistent, but it makes a certain amount of sense to me as one reason this might sometimes be occurring.

I’ve heard several people now (including the boyfriend of an attractions CM, who might actually know) suggest that they sometimes bump them up when they’re out of room for people to wait. If you try to get in a “50 minute” line in Fantasyland, for instance, sometimes they’ll tell you the line is full and ask you to come back later, but the actual wait is like 15-20 minutes. It seems that “jacking up the wait time” can be used as a tool to drive people away.

Of course, this isn’t applicable everywhere and doesn’t seem to be consistent, but it makes a certain amount of sense to me as one reason this might sometimes be occurring.

This sounds very plausible.

One asked him which Thunder Mountain he wanted, big or small. That got a laugh out of him. He then said "Lightning Mountain " and the CM replied back, "that's in the other park." 😆

We were back in the car around 9pm and back hole by 9:15.

Not to be argumentative, but if the parking and walking are so bad, why don't you take a ride share if you live so close? Again, not trying to upset you, just curious.

Also, I love the jokes about the various mountains and the quick thinking of where he can find Lightning Mountain!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter