The Magic is Back - Share your Experience! Superthread

Oooh I'm excited for both Pym's and the Shwarma place. There aren't many places in either DCA or DL where we can feed our two adult vegetarians and one very picky child. Both of these seem like a game changer for us. Guess I better plan to eat in DCA more!

Although special note in case any Disney management ever reads this: Not every plant-based meal has to feature impossible meat! (And thanks for adding some falafel!)

Is it safe to assume DL will let us into the park before 9am this Thursday, May 20, although some rides may not be open yet? What time do they tend to let people start trickling into the actual park?

I don't have a thorough write-up, but both my wife and I thought it was a lot more crowded than we expected it would be today. ride times were largely accurate for us, with some being perhaps ever so slightly overstated. While it didn't feel like a sold out day, it definitely didn't feel empty. I am sure this is due to the lack of entertainment and shows.

We are here a few more days, but I can't see us coming back until (at the earliest) Christmas 2022. I am glad we came and our kids are loving it, but I wouldn't want to return until shows are back and crowd prediction calendars can be more accurate. That first week in December has historically looked great. So, my hope is that week in 2022 will be good.

I can say it still has the magic Disneyland feel, but there are many things clearly lacking. Social distancing can't end quickly enough, food options getting back to normal will be awesome, and the ability to eat anywhere in the park will be great.

One positive, that I wasn't expecting, was that the mobile ordering experience was super slick and we waited till the last minute to order both lunch and dinner. I didn't see any restaurants unavailable at either slot. There were a few spots that looked like you might have to wait more than the 5 minutes we did, but nothing that I saw required an hours long wait.

Thanks everyone for continuing to post your experiences and advice.

Oh, yeah. I saw Trent Reznor, his wife, and their two youngest there too. That was cool...

Last edited:
roxy72 - I would assume an early opening since that's what they've been doing lately. Last Saturday Disneyland opened the gates at 8:15. I would avoid the Disneyland parking structure if you can. youtuber Fresh Baked was also there Saturday morning, and he showed the people from the Harbor side (where we were) getting into the park early, while the people at the parking structure were still waiting in line to park! They didn't even open the structure until 8:00, so those people were stuck & there was a huge surge of people waiting to get into the park around 9:00 - 9:30.

I don't have a thorough write-up, but both my wife and I thought it was a lot more crowded than we expected it would be today. ride times were largely accurate for us, with some being perhaps ever so slightly overstated. While it didn't feel like a sold out day, it definitely didn't feel empty. I am sure this is due to the lack of entertainment and shows.

We are here a few more days, but I can't see us coming back until (at the earliest) Christmas 2022. I am glad we came and our kids are loving it, but I wouldn't want to return until shows are back and crowd prediction calendars can be more accurate. That first week in December has historically looked great. So, my hope is that week in 2022 will be good.

I can say it still has the magic Disneyland feel, but there are many things clearly lacking. Social distancing can't end quickly enough, food options getting back to normal will be awesome, and the ability to eat anywhere in the park will be great.

One positive, that I wasn't expecting, was that the mobile ordering experience was super slick and we waited till the last minute to order both lunch and dinner. I didn't see any restaurants unavailable at either slot. There were a few spots that looked like you might have to wait more than the 5 minutes we did, but nothing that I saw required an hours long wait.

Thanks everyone for continuing to post your experiences and advice.

Oh, yeah. I saw Trent Reznor, his wife, and their two youngest there too. That was cool...

Uggh, this is confirming my fears after watching the wait times over the last week. I originally didn't have plans to go back until the fall, but we had some expiring airline credits so we when the reservations were released we booked for a long weekend starting this Saturday. I was stoked after watching the wait times and seeing the pictures for the first couple of weeks, but it seems like capacity/attendance have dramatically increased. My kids are used to Maxpass and hopping from ride to ride with no waits. They're not going to be on board for waiting longer than 30 minutes for anything, so I fear we're going to have lots of time aimlessly wondering what to do, especially in the middle of the day. Luckily we're staying close by, so I guess we can always go take a maskfree hotel break midday.

For the first week or two, folks were advising that it was better to get there slightly after 9 to avoid the wait in the Esplanade, but with the wait times building so quickly early in the day, it seems like we're back to the old days of the earlier the better to get as many rides in before the wait times shoot up.

Uggh, this is confirming my fears after watching the wait times over the last week. I originally didn't have plans to go back until the fall, but we had some expiring airline credits so we when the reservations were released we booked for a long weekend starting this Saturday. I was stoked after watching the wait times and seeing the pictures for the first couple of weeks, but it seems like capacity/attendance have dramatically increased. My kids are used to Maxpass and hopping from ride to ride with no waits. They're not going to be on board for waiting longer than 30 minutes for anything, so I fear we're going to have lots of time aimlessly wondering what to do, especially in the middle of the day. Luckily we're staying close by, so I guess we can always go take a maskfree hotel break midday.

For the first week or two, folks were advising that it was better to get there slightly after 9 to avoid the wait in the Esplanade, but with the wait times building so quickly early in the day, it seems like we're back to the old days of the earlier the better to get as many rides in before the wait times shoot up.

Well, we got in at 9:20 today and the line in to the park was great, but the park lines shot up super fast and the crowds felt nuts again. This wasn't the trip we were hoping for. Others might feel differently, but it is way more crowded than we would have signed up for. It is true that Main St was mainly empty main day, but the lines are nuts and we have a hard time finding places to escape the crowds. We might leave a day early, just because it isn't what we were looking forward to.

Definitely go early. We entered the line on the Harbor side around 7:30 and got into the park at 8:20. We rode nearly everything in Fantasyland with minimal wait times in the first hour or so, then the crowds started pouring in (I'm guessing people who were queued up at the parking structure/tram route). We still managed to ride 24 rides between the two parks in one day. I know that strategies change from day to day lately, but this is what worked for us. Good luck!

Went yesterday and agree that it was busier than expected.

Arrived shortly before 9 on the Harbor side. The line didn’t start moving until close to 9:15; they didn’t even seem to have security open until then! It was baffling and pretty frustrating; heard multiple people around us complaining that the weekend had been a breeze to get in, not sure what happened. Didn’t enter the park until a little past 9:30.

Started in California Adventure, where the lines were longer and more unpredictable than we’d hoped for. Was only able to get on 4 rides before park hopping to DL at 1 (for reference, we usually could get on at least 4-5 minimum in the first 1.5 hours pre-Covid if we started in CA). Was able to get a ROTR boarding group at 12 easier than expected, though Indy’s virtual queue was gone by the time park hopping started.

DL was FAR more manageable, though still not near pre-Covid levels. Guest behavior was pretty atrocious all day: social distancing was nonexistent (especially in queues...seriously, people, there’s giant marks on the ground telling you where to stand! A toddler could do it!) and I’d guess about 40% of people had masks below their noses with another 5-10% pulling them down completely once in a queue.Cast members asked people to pull them up when they saw them, but there just aren’t enough cast members around to properly enforce things.

Had no issues with mobile ordering like some have reported: even when we had to change a time due to getting hungry earlier, there was still enough available that it wasn’t a problem.

Rides were overall in some of the best shapes we’d seen them in, which was a welcome sight. All of the cannonballs lit up and actually spouted water on Pirates, which I don’t think I’d ever seen before 😂 and both fire effects were active on Indy (which opened its standby queue around 7:30). The snake barely moved, but hey! You take what you can get 😜.

Happy to answer any questions; I also kept track of all the rides we rode, both posted and actual wait times, if anyone is interested. Just don’t want this post getting TOO long!

Arrived shortly before 9 on the Harbor side. The line didn’t start moving until close to 9:15; they didn’t even seem to have security open until then! It was baffling and pretty frustrating; heard multiple people around us complaining that the weekend had been a breeze to get in, not sure what happened. Didn’t enter the park until a little past 9:30.

Started in California Adventure, where the lines were longer and more unpredictable than we’d hoped for. Was only able to get on 4 rides before park hopping to DL at 1 (for reference, we usually could get on at least 4-5 minimum in the first 1.5 hours pre-Covid if we started in CA). Was able to get a ROTR boarding group at 12 easier than expected, though Indy’s virtual queue was gone by the time park hopping started.

DL was FAR more manageable, though still not near pre-Covid levels. Guest behavior was pretty atrocious all day: social distancing was nonexistent (especially in queues...seriously, people, there’s giant marks on the ground telling you where to stand! A toddler could do it!) and I’d guess about 40% of people had masks below their noses with another 5-10% pulling them down completely once in a queue.Cast members asked people to pull them up when they saw them, but there just aren’t enough cast members around to properly enforce things.

Had no issues with mobile ordering like some have reported: even when we had to change a time due to getting hungry earlier, there was still enough available that it wasn’t a problem.

Rides were overall in some of the best shapes we’d seen them in, which was a welcome sight. All of the cannonballs lit up and actually spouted water on Pirates, which I don’t think I’d ever seen before 😂 and both fire effects were active on Indy (which opened its standby queue around 7:30). The snake barely moved, but hey! You take what you can get 😜.

Happy to answer any questions; I also kept track of all the rides we rode, both posted and actual wait times, if anyone is interested. Just don’t want this post getting TOO long!
Im very interested in the actual wait times vs posted if you dont mind.

Im very interested in the actual wait times vs posted if you dont mind.

Sure!

RSR: Listed 30, actual 35
Mermaid: Listed 30, actual 18
Incredicoaster: Listed 15, actual 17
TSMM: Listed 25, actual 15-17

Splash: Listed 20, actual 10
BTMRR: Listed 25, actual 15-20
Mr. Toad: Listed 10, actual 7-8
Pinocchio: Listed 5, actual 5
Haunted Mansion: Listed 35, actual 10-15 *(bypassed the stretching room)
Alice: Listed 20, actual 12-15
POTC: Listed 40, actual 15-20 (this may have been a fluke, as we joined just as they were reopening the line after diverting it in another direction)
MF:SR: Listed 30, actual 20-25
Space: Listed 40, actual 30
ROTR: Listed N/A, actual 30
Haunted Mansion: Listed 20, actual 10
Indy: Listed 35, actual 45

I should specify that CA was difficult because the ride times varied wildly: you’d see a 15 minute wait, then when you walked to it suddenly it was 30-40. It made it hard to decide whether to get in a line or wait for it to die down. DL didn’t really have that problem.

Sure!

POTC: Listed 40, actual 15-20 (this may have been a fluke, as we joined just as they were reopening the line after diverting it in another direction)

I should specify that CA was difficult because the ride times varied wildly: you’d see a 15 minute wait, then when you walked to it suddenly it was 30-40. It made it hard to decide whether to get in a line or wait for it to die down. DL didn’t really have that problem.
Ooo, this is just the sort of info I love. Thank you for tracking this! I will do something similar when we go next Thursday the 27th.

Sure!

This is awesome. Thanks!!!

We are planning on going this weekend. We used to take the 5 south offramp that goes straight in to the M&F garage. Is that road open early for us to sit and wait in till they open the garage? We were looking at arriving 715-730ish. Or do we have to exit fully and circle city streets around until they open it up?

We are planning on going this weekend. We used to take the 5 south offramp that goes straight in to the M&F garage. Is that road open early for us to sit and wait in till they open the garage? We were looking at arriving 715-730ish. Or do we have to exit fully and circle city streets around until they open it up?

It will be closed off until around 7:45.

It was reasonably fun but one of the downsides of going to Disneyland with my son at this time is that it was hard to really gauge his reactions to different rides and enjoy the park through him due to the necessary mask requirement.

I used to be really into Disneyland but have fallen out of love over the years (still love the history of it, just feel the modern Disneyland has passed me by). If it were my choice, I wouldn't go. The number one reason I have gone pre-COVID and will go in the future is to see my son enjoy it. Heck, I hate that they added Disney characters to it's a small world, but for my son I'm happy to play a game where I challenge him to find them all, and I feed him little hints here and there. He helps me overcome my cynicism and negativity.

But with a mask on, I can't see his smile or surprise or sense of amazement. It's harder to tell when he's not having fun or needs a break.

We've talked and discussed his favorite and least favorite rides, sure, but it's hard to feel his reactions in the moment and it kind of made me sad. He had a few firsts yesterday, like his first ride on Splash Mountain and Indiana Jones. He loved both and said he didn't even feel like throwing up. He took the story of the Eye of Mara so seriously that he was covering his eyes before we even got in the jeep haha. I was worried he was scared, but he was just playing around. I wasn't entirely sure at the time because of the mask, though.

So I think that if we go to Disneyland again, it will be after the mask mandate is lifted. It was okay, but it was missing my son's smile.

It was reasonably fun but one of the downsides of going to Disneyland with my son at this time is that it was hard to really gauge his reactions to different rides and enjoy the park through him due to the necessary mask requirement.

I used to be really into Disneyland but have fallen out of love over the years (still love the history of it, just feel the modern Disneyland has passed me by). If it were my choice, I wouldn't go. The number one reason I have gone pre-COVID and will go in the future is to see my son enjoy it. Heck, I hate that they added Disney characters to it's a small world, but for my son I'm happy to play a game where I challenge him to find them all, and I feed him little hints here and there. He helps me overcome my cynicism and negativity.

But with a mask on, I can't see his smile or surprise or sense of amazement. It's harder to tell when he's not having fun or needs a break.

We've talked and discussed his favorite and least favorite rides, sure, but it's hard to feel his reactions in the moment and it kind of made me sad. He had a few firsts yesterday, like his first ride on Splash Mountain and Indiana Jones. He loved both and said he didn't even feel like throwing up. He took the story of the Eye of Mara so seriously that he was covering his eyes before we even got in the jeep haha. I was worried he was scared, but he was just playing around. I wasn't entirely sure at the time because of the mask, though.

So I think that if we go to Disneyland again, it will be after the mask mandate is lifted. It was okay, but it was missing my son's smile.
Well said. This insight is truly something. I had not fully considered the far ranging effect of the mask requirement and how it may significantly inhibit enjoying my two youngsters reactions and those magical moments in general for our upcoming trip. Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:

I agree with Matthew D., well said. This is the first time my wife and I have gone with our kids. They are 11, 8 (almost 9) and 7. We had planned to go last summer, because we wanted our youngest to be old enough to walk around and not just crash super fast. I had assumed I would still love it, but the point of the trip was really for the kids. There are things that I still like, but it doesn't hold the same pull for me that it once did.

On a, probably picky/stupid note, I hate the way they are bringing so many video screens into the rides now. It feels like a cheap, lazy move and really doesn't carry any sort of wonder with it. Some of the rides incorporate it in ways that aren't so bad, but a number of newer rides just use it in ways that flat out suck. With the money they charge/make, they can, and should, do better than this. This isn't the source of me not being in love with Disneyland now, but it adds to it.

Having said all that, my kids love it and I hope to bring them back again once things have been back to whatever the new normal looks like for a bit of time.

In line with what you said, I would consider going again with mask mandates, social distancing, or the lack of shows. We came this time expecting the super low crowds talked about in the first couple of weeks. We didn't find that, but that's okay. For anyone else with plans to come, just don't walk in with unrealistic expectations. Know what you are showing up for and I hope everyone who does come has a great time!

On a, probably picky/stupid note, I hate the way they are bringing so many video screens into the rides now. It feels like a cheap, lazy move and really doesn't carry any sort of wonder with it. Some of the rides incorporate it in ways that aren't so bad, but a number of newer rides just use it in ways that flat out suck. With the money they charge/make, they can, and should, do better than this. This isn't the source of me not being in love with Disneyland now, but it adds to it.

I would mostly agree with that statement. Not the biggest fan of Midway Mania or Smugglers run. Ill hold my judgement on WEB Slingers. BUT Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway did the video screens right and I really enjoyed riding it at DW. Excited for this one to open at DLR.

The Harbor side generally opens at 8. But what happens is when the esplanade gets filled, they hold the lines to enter the area prior to security. And then you wait til enough space clears up and they trickle more people in. You arrived at 9 and with the esplanade being filled with people entering the parks, they held the lines until it cleared enough to let more people in. Just a timing issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter