The Long Road to Run Disney

Three weeks done, fifteen to go!

Monday was a rest day.

Tuesday's run was 2 miles @ EA. I ended up with 2.04 miles at 14:21 using 80/30 intervals. T+D=149 at 7:30 PM, total elevation gain of 107'. I am finding myself walking a bit slower than intended, but also running a bit faster. My older daughter joined me for this run since the fall tennis practices don't start until August 17th.

Wednesday was also 2 miles @ EA. I chose a different route and ran 2.07 miles at 14:11 using 80/30 intervals. T+D=143 at 7:20 PM, total elevation gain of 44'. The lap times were much more consistent on this run. My daughter joined me again.

Thursday was a rest day.

Friday also ended up being a rest day. I worked later than planned and then we attended the back-to-school picnic at 5:00 PM.

I did Friday's run on Saturday. This was 2.5 miles @ EB plus strides. T+D=154 at 11:20 AM. I finished 2.5 miles at 13:18 average per mile with splits of 13:36, 13:10, & 6:30 (13:02 pace). I felt really good on this run. I also got back out and cut the grass this afternoon. Birthdays as an adult are pretty lame!

I moved Saturday's run to Sunday. This was 3 miles @ LR. T+D=160 @ 7:15 PM. I finished 3.03 miles at 13:44 per mile with splits of 13:47, 13:50, & 13:39. This run also felt very good, although I was soaking wet with sweat by the end of it.

The kiddos finally went back to school today! Yay!

I am a bit intimidated by some of what's coming this week. I do have a spot mapped out for the Daniels R run tomorrow. I'm sure this will be interesting, since it's a new-to-me work-out. What's really worrying me is the three day running streak Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I don't think I've ever run three days in a row. I'm going to do my best to listen to my body and take these runs easy.

Monday was a rest day.

Tuesday's run was my first Daniels R workout. I walked a brisk pace for a mile at 15:50 pace before running the first 100 meter segment. I accidentally pushed the pause button on my watch instead of the lap button at one point so I actually ended up running the 100 meter segment 9 times instead of 8. I walked during my breaks. I set the goal pace on my watch for 9:10-9:20 during the running segments, but it kept beeping at me saying that I was going too fast. Run splits were 8:59, 9:19, 9:00, 9:45, 8:59, 9:21, 8:35, 9:07, and 8:30. I enjoyed this workout more than I thought I would. T+D=161 @7:00 PM. Elevation gain was 64' over 3.36 miles.

Wednesday was 2 miles at EA with 80/30 run/walk intervals. T+D=158 @ 5:15 PM. I finished 2.04 miles with an average pace of 14:21. Elevation gain was 98'. The splits are evening out more and more every time I do this type of run.

Thursday was a rest day.

Friday was 2.5 miles at EB + Strides. T+D=139 @ 6:05 AM and it felt amazing compared to the afternoon heat I've been running in! 2.52 miles with splits of 13:27, 12:47, and 6.53 for an average pace of 13:07.

Today's run is one of those epic failures that has me questioning my abilities. I set out for a 5 mile LR which felt okay for the first two miles. Just before the halfway point, I just felt drained. My breathing was fine, calves and knees a little sore, but nothing major. The energy just wasn't there. I walked for a minute and sipped some water before starting back running. I developed a pretty severe side-stitch and took another walk break towards the end of the third mile. I run walked the fourth mile before shutting my watch off and walking home. My husband actually picked me up in the car 1/4 mile from home because it was getting dark and he was worried about me. Mile splits were 13:30, 13:24, 13:53, and 14:40. T+D=157 @ 6:50 PM. Elevation gain 112'.

I'm sure the heat was part of the issue, but I am accustomed to running in these conditions. I had a sausage biscuit from Wards this morning. Lunch was a BBQ sandwich, roasted asparagus, and macaroni. I'm really not sure where the wheels came off today, but they definitely did. I have a 2.5 mile EA run on the schedule for tomorrow, but I'm going to see how I feel tomorrow. I know everyone has bad runs...

I set the goal pace on my watch for 9:10-9:20 during the running segments, but it kept beeping at me saying that I was going too fast.

I'd just do it by feel with consistent effort. The pace zones on your watch are irrelevant because the duration is too short for it to catch up. Plus the range based on the small duration makes the pace zones hard to hone in. Like you experienced it's mostly going to just tell you you're off pace even when you might not be. So just focus on how it feels and be consistent. Adjust after each rep by looking at the time it took to complete the interval.

Today's run is one of those epic failures that has me questioning my abilities. I set out for a 5 mile LR which felt okay for the first two miles. Just before the halfway point, I just felt drained. My breathing was fine, calves and knees a little sore, but nothing major. The energy just wasn't there. I walked for a minute and sipped some water before starting back running. I developed a pretty severe side-stitch and took another walk break towards the end of the third mile. I run walked the fourth mile before shutting my watch off and walking home. My husband actually picked me up in the car 1/4 mile from home because it was getting dark and he was worried about me. Mile splits were 13:30, 13:24, 13:53, and 14:40. T+D=157 @ 6:50 PM. Elevation gain 112'.

I'm sure the heat was part of the issue, but I am accustomed to running in these conditions. I had a sausage biscuit from Wards this morning. Lunch was a BBQ sandwich, roasted asparagus, and macaroni. I'm really not sure where the wheels came off today, but they definitely did. I have a 2.5 mile EA run on the schedule for tomorrow, but I'm going to see how I feel tomorrow. I know everyone has bad runs...

Remember, like you said, these things happen. Especially when the T+D is 157. The race is unlikely to be 157. And if the race is 157, then you know that all pace goals need to be thrown out the window. On the next LR in bad conditions, I want you to start slow. Like REALLY slow. As slow as you can tolerate. Then just gradually increase the pace towards the second half. Treat it more like a progression. Our bodies can react differently in the heat depending on the type of run. So these sustained runs at pace are much much harder than an interval based speed run because our body doesn't get the chance to "catch up". The goal of these training runs is to avoid a fade because a fade is a sign of pushing too hard. So let's see if we can switch up the plan a bit and avoid it better.

I'd just do it by feel with consistent effort. The pace zones on your watch are irrelevant because the duration is too short for it to catch up. Plus the range based on the small duration makes the pace zones hard to hone in. Like you experienced it's mostly going to just tell you you're off pace even when you might not be. So just focus on how it feels and be consistent. Adjust after each rep by looking at the time it took to complete the interval.

That makes perfect sense. I don't know why I thought the watch pace would be accurate for a distance that's too short for it to track reliably.

Remember, like you said, these things happen. Especially when the T+D is 157. The race is unlikely to be 157. And if the race is 157, then you know that all pace goals need to be thrown out the window. On the next LR in bad conditions, I want you to start slow. Like REALLY slow. As slow as you can tolerate. Then just gradually increase the pace towards the second half. Treat it more like a progression. Our bodies can react differently in the heat depending on the type of run. So these sustained runs at pace are much much harder than an interval based speed run because our body doesn't get the chance to "catch up". The goal of these training runs is to avoid a fade because a fade is a sign of pushing too hard. So let's see if we can switch up the plan a bit and avoid it better.

Thank you. I was feeling pretty frustrated with myself. I skipped yesterday's run and I do feel much better today. I will pick the plan back up tomorrow with the next R run and work on slowing down the easy days even more in this heat.

This week has been pretty eventful and HOT! Every run that I did this week was at a T+D of 160 or more.

Tuesday night was my older daughter's first tennis practice of the school year so it was my first time back out on the college's track. This is not a traditional track, but rather a 3/4 mile paved path around a small pond that is connected to a second 1/4 mile paved path that goes around the volleyball court. I'm attaching a screenshot to give you an idea of what I'm working with.

I walked a mile to warm up and then ran 8 x 100m at R pace. I definitely felt slower than the last time I did this work-out, but I am shamelessly blaming the heat. I walked almost another mile to cool down. I ended up with exactly 3 miles at an average pace of 15:22.

Wednesday was my husband's follow-up appointment with his neurosurgeon in Jackson, MS, which is about an hour from our home. He was finally cleared to go back to work!

While we were in Jackson we had lunch at the best Mexican restaurant I've ever been to and I visited Fleet Feet to try on some new shoes to replace my beloved Hoka Tracers. This is the first running store I've been to other than Fit 2 Run at Disney Springs. The foot analysis at Fleet Feet is pretty cool. I brought home a pair of Karhu Ikoni Ortix, which I had never heard of and still can't pronounce. However, I cut my run short that afternoon because these shoes were killing my toes. This should have been 2.5 miles at EA, but ended up being only 1.7 miles at 13:56 per mile.

I was also feeling pretty emotional because I was struggling with the decision to drop-out of college. I was registered for just four classes, but after reading the syllabuses I was feeling very overwhelmed. I ultimately decided that it's just not feasible for me to continue college while I'm working and taking kids to afterschool activities. I may try to finish my degree when the kids are older.

Thursday was a rest day.

Friday was 3 miles at EB + strides. I wore my Hokas for this run and my toes were STILL sore from Wednesday's run. I started off slow. The first mile split was at 13:37. Just after I turned around at my half-way point, a group of three dogs raced out of a yard and started barking/growing at me. I started yelling for them to go away and then one of them jumped up and nipped my hand. I hit him in the head as hard as I could with my other hand. Thankfully, he let go and I ran pretty hard until the dogs stopped following me. The bite broke the skin on two fingers which were bleeding a little. Adrenaline had taken over by this point and I kept reminding myself to slow down and calm down. My second and third splits were 12:54, and 12:34 which was really too fast for this work out and no formal strides. I tried to call the sheriff's department when I got home, but I never could get an answer on the non-emergency line and I didn't feel that the situation warranted a call to 911. I need to start back running with my gun and/or get some pepper-spray. I may also avoid this particular route for a while.

The weather was awful this weekend, with thunderstorms on Saturday and Sunday. We never lost power, but my parents did. I did not get my long run done last weekend. Coach @DopeyBadger, do you think I should proceed with this week as it is written? Four miles has been my longest successful run this cycle. I'm looking at 3.5 miles on Friday and 6 on Saturday.

I did manage to make a trip back to Fleet Feet on Saturday to exchange my new shoes for a pair of Saucony Kinvara 12s. I've worn an earlier version of this shoe (the 9), but they didn't seem to last as long as the Tracer. Hopefully these will hold up better. I bought the very patriotic pair that the salesman brought out for me to try on. My husband says they are hideous, but I kind of like them. I may look for another pair in a different color if these hold up well.

What an eventful week. Hang in there.

The weather was awful this weekend, with thunderstorms on Saturday and Sunday. We never lost power, but my parents did. I did not get my long run done last weekend. Coach @DopeyBadger, do you think I should proceed with this week as it is written? Four miles has been my longest successful run this cycle. I'm looking at 3.5 miles on Friday and 6 on Saturday.

I think that even the 4 mile LR you did that didn't go alright should be enough still. You have a history with running and such this is not your first build up to a HM. So I think you can handle moving from 4 miles max to 6 miles max. Although if you have doubts, then consider just taking it 1-2 min/mile slower than scheduled plus the T+D adjustment. Just extra slow. Include some structured walk breaks as well. Doing that will allow the run to be easier if you feel it's needed. There are very few cases with a LR that I will argue if someone wants to go slower.

I have absolutely fallen off the wagon with my training. I only completed four runs in the entire month of September. I don't know where my motivation has gone, but I do know that I will not be running the Magnolia Half Marathon this year. I need to at least get my tail in gear for a November or December 5K. There are several local ones to choose from.

I don't want to make a bunch of excuses, but I would like to elaborate on why this training cycle was such an abysmal failure with the hope that I can do some things differently going forward. Above average rainfall was a definite factor. My daughter missed four straight weeks of tennis practice because of the rain. I've been struggling lately with a mild case of depression. I made the right decision in dropping out of college, at least for now, but I am still not 100% happy with it. I am also SO ready for all the Covid restrictions, particularly the mask mandates, to be a thing of the past. I know that I need to make more of a conscious effort to run when I'm feeling down in the dumps. Once I get out the door, I usually feel so much better!

My older daughter and I are planning to run a local 5K on December 4th. I'm hoping that will be the motivation I need to get back in the groove of running. My husband's employer also has a free virtual 5K this month that I plan to do on Halloween. We are registered for the Rock N Roll 10K in NOLA for next February, but I am not optimistic about that run actually taking place. I'm also not sure we will go if it does happen because of the travel restrictions that are currently in place in NOLA. At the risk of having my own thread shut down, neither of my daughters are vaccinated because I am concerned about the potential long-term side effects.

We are tentatively discussing running the 1/2 during Marathon Weekend 2023, contingent on the mask mandates being gone by then.

Last edited:
My daughter and I completed the virtual 5K that was offered through my husband's employer on Halloween. She finished in 34:27 and I finished in 37:26. While I wouldn't pay for a virtual race, we will probably participate in this one as long as it is offered for free. Actually, a bit better than free since the company sends each finisher a $50 gift card. Virtual races lack the energy and support of in-person races, but this did serve the purpose of getting us out the door.

I have put together a training plan for the month of November for a December 4th 5K. This will be our first race since the 10K we ran back in April. I'm still trying to regain the fitness I lost during my unintentional break.

My older daughter and I ran a local 5K yesterday. It started and ended at St. Patrick's Catholic Church and school. We enjoyed the Christmas music played by a local D.J. at the start/finish area. Santa was there to take pictures with the little kids, but my baby girl was at home with her daddy. We also enjoyed the mostly flat course through the downtown area which had lots of support from the the police and fire departments as well as volunteers.

An elderly lady, who was walking the course with her husband, tripped and fell down during the race. She was mostly okay, but skinned up her knees and hit her chin on the pavement. A patrol car actually drove her through the finish line after everyone else had finished.

On paper, we both have new PRs, but the course was definitely short. My Forerunner 235 came up with 2.99 miles and her Forerunner 35 came up with 3.01 miles. We heard other runners making similar observations. I do think that this would have been a new PR for my daughter, if the course would have been measured accurately, as she shaved 2:08 off her 5K PR from the spring. I don't think that I could have run the additional .1 mile distance in the :15 second difference between this race time and my standing PR from 2018, BUT this does make me feel that the fitness level is there, especially if I recommit to my training.

This was our last race for 2021. We plan to run either a local 5K or the Rock n Roll 10K in NOLA on February 5th. We are going to train for a 10K and see if it happens and what the NOLA travel restrictions are by then. I have noticed that medals have not been released by the Rock N Roll Series for the NOLA races, but they have been released for other races happening later in 2022. I just don't know if that means much...

On paper, we both have new PRs, but the course was definitely short. My Forerunner 235 came up with 2.99 miles and her Forerunner 35 came up with 3.01 miles. We heard other runners making similar observations. I do think that this would have been a new PR for my daughter, if the course would have been measured accurately, as she shaved 2:08 off her 5K PR from the spring. I don't think that I could have run the additional .1 mile distance in the :15 second difference between this race time and my standing PR from 2018, BUT this does make me feel that the fitness level is there, especially if I recommit to my training.

Well done! Look at the Garmin course maps. There could be some funny business going on that cuts out part of the course. So it could still be a correctly measured course.

Well done! Look at the Garmin course maps. There could be some funny business going on that cuts out part of the course. So it could still be a correctly measured course.

I think you're on to something there. I see several corners that are cut funny as well as several places that look like I ran through buildings instead of streets. I guess tall buildings could make the GPS less accurate?

These green and orange lines are at the very beginning and end of the course and should be right on top of each other.

Screenshot_20211206-152315.png

The corners here are cut funny and the route isn't showing me to be on the roads.

Screenshot_20211206-152407.png

Screenshot_20211206-152426.png

Screenshot_20211206-152446.png

I guess tall buildings could make the GPS less accurate?

Yes, definitely. Sometimes these GPS issues cut the course in such a way that it makes a 3.11 mile race become 3.7 miles (doesn't mean it was measured long). But conversely, it's also possible to have a 3.11 mile race become 2.99 miles instead if the GPS cuts in the other direction (more unlikely, but possible). You can check both of these scenarios by mapping out the exact route you followed on Google Maps with the right click "measure distance" feature. This way you can see if Google Maps calculates the exact route you ran as closer to 2.99 miles or 3.11 miles. That's what I use to determine whether a race is truly short/long, or if it's just a GPS funny business thing.

Yes, definitely. Sometimes these GPS issues cut the course in such a way that it makes a 3.11 mile race become 3.7 miles (doesn't mean it was measured long). But conversely, it's also possible to have a 3.11 mile race become 2.99 miles instead if the GPS cuts in the other direction (more unlikely, but possible). You can check both of these scenarios by mapping out the exact route you followed on Google Maps with the right click "measure distance" feature. This way you can see if Google Maps calculates the exact route you ran as closer to 2.99 miles or 3.11 miles. That's what I use to determine whether a race is truly short/long, or if it's just a GPS funny business thing.

VERY INTERESTING! I came up with 3.07 miles, which isn't quite a 5K, but it is much closer than either of our watches came up with.

Happy New Year! We are exactly a month out from the Rock N Roll 10K in NOLA and I still don't know if we will decide to run it or just kiss that registration money good-bye. They did reveal the medals for this year so I am inclined to think the races might actually happen. As of right now, I am leaning towards not going. There are several local 5Ks in the spring for us to look forward to running. Tennis season is also right around the corner.

The girls and I were sick between Christmas and New Years and now my husband has a worse case of whatever we had. He went to the doctor yesterday with a really high fever and tested negative for strep, the flu, and covid. The doctor did send off a second covid test that won't show results until Thursday or Friday. Whatever it is, I don't think I've ever seen my husband be this sick.

We are looking at a quick beach trip over July 4th weekend. I'm also considering a trip to the mountains instead of Disney. @DopeyBadger's suggestion of waiting for Marathon Weekend 2025 is making a lot of sense. Has anyone here ever ran the Seven Bridges Marathon or Four Bridges Half in Chattanooga, TN? My daughter and I watched a few YouTube videos of the half marathon and are considering it for her first half.

I still haven't kicked whatever crud has been making the rounds. It is apparently not covid, strep, or flu. I am definitely on the mend, but also have no energy. I may try to get out and just walk at the track during my daughter's tennis practice tonight. Due to vaccine requirements and lack of training, we will not be participating in the Rock N Roll 10K next weekend. There are several local 5Ks in March, April, and May to choose from. I'm so looking forward to spring!

I am pretty discouraged. Although I haven't been posting here, I have been running 2-3 times a week for the past couple of months. I went to the doctor on Thursday because my head had been pounding since Tuesday. My hands and feet were also swollen and I was feeling nauseous and light headed. My normal doctor was on vacation so I ended up seeing someone new. She put me on a diuretic because my blood pressure was high. My headache and dizziness are better, but now my muscles, especially in my legs and glutes are cramping SO BAD! I picked up some potassium and magnesium supplements as well as some pedialyte. I'm supposed to go back in two weeks, but I may try to get in sooner if I'm not feeling any better tomorrow.

I've also been ignoring a pain in my right foot that I fear my be a stress fracture of the fifth metatarsal, either from running or wearing unsupportive sandals to work. I'm going to take at least the next two weeks off running. My daughter is angry with me. We were hoping to run a 5K next weekend. I haven't registered yet so I've decided to skip it.

I am pretty discouraged. Although I haven't been posting here, I have been running 2-3 times a week for the past couple of months. I went to the doctor on Thursday because my head had been pounding since Tuesday. My hands and feet were also swollen and I was feeling nauseous and light headed. My normal doctor was on vacation so I ended up seeing someone new. She put me on a diuretic because my blood pressure was high. My headache and dizziness are better, but now my muscles, especially in my legs and glutes are cramping SO BAD! I picked up some potassium and magnesium supplements as well as some pedialyte. I'm supposed to go back in two weeks, but I may try to get in sooner if I'm not feeling any better tomorrow.

I've also been ignoring a pain in my right foot that I fear my be a stress fracture of the fifth metatarsal, either from running or wearing unsupportive sandals to work. I'm going to take at least the next two weeks off running. My daughter is angry with me. We were hoping to run a 5K next weekend. I haven't registered yet so I've decided to skip it.

Wow, sorry for your health issues. The BP thing is scary. I hope they get a handle on it quickly. As for the foot....my currently broken 5th metatarsal sends good vibes to yours that it is not a stress fracture.

Wow, sorry for your health issues. The BP thing is scary. I hope they get a handle on it quickly. As for the foot....my currently broken 5th metatarsal sends good vibes to yours that it is not a stress fracture.
Thank you!

I have been lurking around the DISboards, especially some of the training journals, but obviously I haven't been posting here. My foot is feeling a lot better after me taking June, July, and the first part of August almost completely off from running. I did do a bit of swimming.

My doctor swapped me over to a blood pressure pill that does not contain a diuretic and that has helped me feel immensely better. I will have to go back in December so they can do blood work and check me over again.

I am on week four of my trusty old Couch 2 5K program and there are several fall 5Ks coming up. I'm hoping to run at least two this year, but I'm definitely off to a late start. I've had a bit of a rough year (the past several, if we are being honest), but I really felt like things were looking up a bit during my run tonight.

The college had a 5K positivity walk at the track around the campus lake earlier today. I really enjoyed the chalk sentiments that were left behind.

IMG_20220906_193642116.jpg

IMG_20220906_193449662.jpg

IMG_20220906_193829740.jpg

IMG_20220906_193736713.jpg

IMG_20220906_193510215.jpg
IMG_20220906_194018392.jpg
IMG_20220906_193410864.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter