The Long Road to Run Disney

The 5K at the end of this month has been cancelled due to what I hope is paranoia surrounding the coronavirus. The 10K at the beginning of next month may cancel as well, but they are waiting until Friday to make a decision. Not that my running has been going very well, anyway...

Like everyone else, my racing calendar has been cleared for the foreseeable future. The Magnolia Half Marathon is the only thing I'm registered for that hasn't been canceled and that's not until November. I was able to defer the Hattiesburg registration for next year, so that's on my calendar as well.

Until yesterday, I had not run for a solid month. I've been working a lot more since the corona virus hit because some of the older people I work with have stopped working. I'm also finishing up with online classes at the community college for this semester. I have one final left! I started completely over with the Couch 2 5K program yesterday afternoon and that run went very well. I ran it on the same route that I originally started the program on six years ago. It was much easier yesterday than six years ago!

I also joined Weight Watchers yesterday. One of my coworkers has done very well with it. I'm currently 160lbs. I'd love to lose 30.

I am down 7.5 lbs with my first month of Weight Watchers. I committed to at least 90 days.

I have not run much at all, I'm averaging one two mile run per week. I need to restart Couch 2 5K at the beginning of June to be in shape to start Half Marathon training in August.

I really enjoy running and I feel so much better after a run, but it's been so hard to carve out the time.

I set my alarm for 5:30 this morning so I could finish up week two of Couch 2 5K at a relatively cool 65 degrees. This was my first early morning run this year. I have felt much more energetic today. I'm going to attempt to run on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday mornings through the end of July.

Weight Watchers asks us to focus on why we want to lose weight. I think I've finally found my answer: control. I have always been a control freak, even though life doesn't always make that exactly feasible. My weight has been gradually creeping up over the years, but that is a part of my life I can regain control over.

I started training for my first half marathon because I wanted a proof of time to get into one of the earlier corrals for a Run Disney race. I am a little discouraged that the bar has been raised, when I still haven't met that original goal, but I also realize that is no longer my sole motivation to run my next race (whenever that might be). I am able to leave a lot of stress behind when I run. I enjoy trying to beat where I was yesterday and even last year.

When things get back to normal, I definitely want to experience a race weekend at Disney. I'm in no rush and I will enjoy whatever journey gets me there, even if I start with the balloon ladies (which I hear can be quite a run experience).

I am down 7.5 lbs with my first month of Weight Watchers. I committed to at least 90 days.

I have not run much at all, I'm averaging one two mile run per week. I need to restart Couch 2 5K at the beginning of June to be in shape to start Half Marathon training in August.

I really enjoy running and I feel so much better after a run, but it's been so hard to carve out the time.

Congratulations on the weight loss progress 👍

C
I've been running on Tuesday and Thursday mornings as well as Sunday evenings. I finished week four of couch 2 5k this morning. I am now down 12lbs and under 150lbs for the first time in a couple of years.
[/QUOTE

Congratulations, Great Job 👍

I am at 143lbs...down 17lbs since starting Weight Watchers on April 21st. The program definitely works! I'm feeling much better about myself. I am also still running a few mornings a week, but not quite as often as I'd like. I'm still hoping that the Magnolia Half Marathon will take place in November. Since it is a very small race, it could still happen. That will be the only race I will even attempt to run for the remainder of this year for financial reasons.

I also don't know if or when we will return to Disney or if I will be able to run there anytime in the next several years. After the local public schools announced their plans for returning to school in the fall, we decided to put both our girls in private school for this year. It's expensive, but I am adamantly against having elementary aged children wear masks for 8+ hours. This will mean a lot of sacrifices, but I think it is what is best for our kids.

The Magnolia Marathon & Half has officially been cancelled 😢 I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. I have deferred that registration to next year. I'm disappointed, but honestly a little relieved that I don't have to train for a half right now since I have college classes (American Lit 2, Physical Science 2, Public Speaking, and Statistics) starting on the 24th.

There are a few local 5K races this fall that haven't cancelled yet. I'm going to focus on that distance and hope at least one of those races actually happens. I will have the spring and summer semesters off from college because I can't start at a four year college until next fall. This will allow me to focus on the Hattiesburg Half in April without juggling course work.

I have officially lost 20lbs with Weight Watchers! I'm back to 140 and feeling so good about it!

This has been an awful year all the way around. My older daughter is having some pretty major mental problems. Her psychiatrist has not officially diagnosed her as being bipolar, but he sees a lot of signs and is treating that as a very real possibility. We have had her in an inpatient program and made a trip to the E.R., in trying to get her on the right medication. It breaks my heart to see her struggling so hard.

We had to put both girls in private school this year, which has been great aside from the major expense. The day care our younger daughter was going to was destroyed by a tornado back in March. The middle school our older daughter attended was going to require masks be worn all day long, with no distance learning option. I just don't agree with asking kids to wear a mask for eight hours a day, five days a week.

Due to all the medical bills that are now rolling in and the cost of the girls' tuition, we feel like we have no choice but to cancel the mountain vacation we had planned for May. The cabin rental through VRBO is fully refundable, so at least there's that.

My daughter and I ran what was supposed to be a 5K on October 17th, but the course was mismarked and ended up being only 1.9 miles. The 5K we were supposed to run yesterday was cancelled the day before with no refund offered. The only other races in our area for the remainder of the year have already gone virtual, which doesn't interest me in the least. I wish I at least had a race to look forward to. I have several on my radar for next year, but who knows if those will even happen.

I hope that 2021 will be a better year.

Sorry to hear about all the troubles you and your family are going through. Hope things turn for the better soon.

Hang in there and hoping the best for the remainder of the year and beyond.
Hope 2021 is a better year all around and hope your daughter can get the help she needs soon.:hug:
Thank you both. Things seem to be looking up. Anti-depressants are not this kid's friends, but she is taking a mood stabilizer that seems to be helping.

Hi,

Not been on the board since October so had not seen you update.

We had similar issues with our Daughter growing up and struggled at that time 20 years ago to get a diagnosis, I understand your struggles.

Just wanted to say hang in there it will get better, I am sorry you have had to cancel your trip but don’t forget to take some time to look after yourselves.

Col

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!