The latest can you top this

DH went to get our daughters handicap placard after we were discharged from Rehab. We know a woman that works there, however she wasn't there. The employee told DH that he had to have the handicapped person bring the form in, he said she's not yet two years old. She proceeded to tell him that not only are you not allowed a HP if you aren't of legal driving age, but that children also aren't handicapped. He said the doctors that diagnosed her TBI and stroke said otherwise.

He was getting ready to leave and come back when our friend was working when the lady said she would do it, but acted like it was illegal the entire time.

We found out about a month later that she no longer worked there.

Urgh. I'm glad the woman is gone. I can't believe she said that children can't be handicapped/disabled!

I don't know if this is still true, but I think there used to be a few states that wouldn't issue handicapped placards for children under 2 or so (I'm assuming your state isn't one of them since they issued the placard. I also assume this was something you checked or your advice to get the placard came from someone who'd know if there was a minimum age). I know in the UK Blue Badges (their version of a handicapped placard) can't be issued if the person with the impairment is under 2. I believe the theory is that any child under 2 will take up the same space/be equally unsafe in a parking lot. It's blatantly not true, but I'm not sure if anyone's really challenged the law (certainly if they did, they were unsuccessful).

Agreed. My mother has multiple medical issues that culminated in an ileostomy last spring. Her health is extremely fragile which you don't notice until she gets up out of her chair. My partner's mother also has one and looks very healthy but could also need that stall for the same reason. These are things you can't tell by making an instant judgment on someone's appearance.
:thumbsup2
Which is a good reason for not making any comments. You can’t always tell, so the safest option is to assume the person either needed the stall, didn’t think anyone else would need it or, at least, meant no harm.
Even when it is possible to tell that someone is, for example, changing their children into Princess dresses, the most I would do would be to ask nicely how much longer they might be with the comment that we are waiting for that particular stall because DD is in a wheelchair and can only go into that stall. Most are very nice about it and will hurry. Their “crime” was that they did not think anyone else would need that stall.

Making a nice, polite comment usually gets a nice result in return. Plus, they will think about what I said the next time.
Making a rude comment is likely to get a rude comment in reply. Plus, the person who was in the stall is likely to remember the rude comment and feel justified in what they did.

A few years ago, I saw on the news that a certain state was looking into enacting a law requiring all vehicles to have the snow cleaned off the tops of them before they were taken out onto the roads. I wrote to one of the representatives of that state to remind them that such a thing would be hard to impossible for people with disabilities, especially those in wheelchairs driving large accessible vans. The woman representative wrote back that she knows what it is like to be disabled because she was pregnant the previous winter and she was able to clean her car off! :sad2: Yeah, walking around with a large belly and not being able to walk at all are practically the same thing! :rolleyes:

This is when you send a photo with circles and arrows and an explanation in small words. Oi.

Urgh. I'm glad the woman is gone. I can't believe she said that children can't be handicapped/disabled!

I don't know if this is still true, but I think there used to be a few states that wouldn't issue handicapped placards for children under 2 or so (I'm assuming your state isn't one of them since they issued the placard. I also assume this was something you checked or your advice to get the placard came from someone who'd know if there was a minimum age). I know in the UK Blue Badges (their version of a handicapped placard) can't be issued if the person with the impairment is under 2. I believe the theory is that any child under 2 will take up the same space/be equally unsafe in a parking lot. It's blatantly not true, but I'm not sure if anyone's really challenged the law (certainly if they did, they were unsuccessful).

That is interesting, I hadn't heard that! We didn't ask about the placard, we were told by the social worker at the inpatient rehab first talked to us about it, she said we would be given the paperwork upon discharge, and at discharge one of the doctors gave it to us.

At the time she was given it, she was less than 2 months from her second birthday, so that is entirely possible.

Had a mostly pleasant experience at WDW recently. My husband has ALS and is 24/7 electric wheelchair now. My issue is invisible, but basically, I use an ECV due to pain and endurance trouble. Very nice bus driver loaded us first then opened the front door for everyone else. Lovely lady at the front said "Hmph - are there even any seats left?" Same lady whose hubby nearly clocked my husband in the head with her SUV of a double stroller that he then slammed on top of my ECV.

Best this trip was the woman who suggested to my mother in law that Disney should provide separate buses for "those kind of people". So glad I didn't hear this charmer though I probably would have been too utterly shocked and flabbergasted to come back with a properly "I'm sorry, did you want us to be included in separate but equal now" type retort. :confused3

Had a mostly pleasant experience at WDW recently. My husband has ALS and is 24/7 electric wheelchair now. My issue is invisible, but basically, I use an ECV due to pain and endurance trouble. Very nice bus driver loaded us first then opened the front door for everyone else. Lovely lady at the front said "Hmph - are there even any seats left?" Same lady whose hubby nearly clocked my husband in the head with her SUV of a double stroller that he then slammed on top of my ECV.

One of my faves was a few years ago when the busses still had "lifts" my DS and mom were loaded using the lift, the driver then turned to find a lady with a double stroller filled with toddlers and "stuff" he informed her she had to fold the chair and use the stair entrance, she huffed and said "why don't you make THEM use the regular door? what makes them so special, do you know how hard it is to unload this stroller myself?, you should be helping me first!"

I smiled and said, "perhaps if you get the driver to put your children on this dangerous lift and they fall, suffering lifelong disabilities you will get to be "special" too!" ....blank look, she waited for the next bus....:rolleyes:

At the parks now, and had an incident at Animal Kingdom yesterday. Had a man concentrating on his map and drifting sideways. I just had time to say "Look out!" before he stepped right in front of me and I bumped him. This sort of thing happens from time to time and usually results in apologies on both sides. This guy's reaction? "Don't tell me to look out, b****, it's your job to look out for me!"

At the parks now, and had an incident at Animal Kingdom yesterday. Had a man concentrating on his map and drifting sideways. I just had time to say "Look out!" before he stepped right in front of me and I bumped him. This sort of thing happens from time to time and usually results in apologies on both sides. This guy's reaction? "Don't tell me to look out, b****, it's your job to look out for me!"

Yikes! Gotta love the lack of personal responsibility there. I hope you have a better day today!

My first reaction to an incident like that would be - wanting to curse him out, wanting to beat sense into him, wanting a fairy to shower him in magic politeness dust. Then I would settle on my final, rational thought, "I'm so glad I'm not married to that guy!"

My reply to him would have been " Well it is a good thing that I was or one or both of us could have been hurt." I would have done it as nicely as possible, then ran over his toes. J/K on the running over the toes part.

Wow. I hope I can chill out between now and Thanksgiving day becuase we are leaving for 10 DAYS with our 4 children, 2 of whom are severely disabled. I am already on the defensive about what folks might say to us. I wish I could just relax and give folks the benefit of the doubt, but no I am already practicing in my head what I will say if anyone gives me any lip while we are there.

Maybe I should have a drink each morning before we head out to the parks, right?:lmao:

Our two disabled daughters are both adopted (very obvious in person) and the question we get the MOST (and in front of the girls, mind you) is, "Did you know they were like that when you adopted them?" I mean, what do you say? What I really want to say is probably not allowed on this forum, but what I do say is "Yes." It usually shuts the person up. Except those that need to keep going and they say something about they could never do that. One day I will look them straight in the eyes and say, "Do what? Love a child?"

I'll be sure and some back and let you guys know if we get any comments, and how I (hopefully respectfully) handled those comments. :rolleyes1

Wish us the best!

Wow. I hope I can chill out between now and Thanksgiving day becuase we are leaving for 10 DAYS with our 4 children, 2 of whom are severely disabled. I am already on the defensive about what folks might say to us. I wish I could just relax and give folks the benefit of the doubt, but no I am already practicing in my head what I will say if anyone gives me any lip while we are there.

Maybe I should have a drink each morning before we head out to the parks, right?:lmao:

Our two disabled daughters are both adopted (very obvious in person) and the question we get the MOST (and in front of the girls, mind you) is, "Did you know they were like that when you adopted them?" I mean, what do you say? What I really want to say is probably not allowed on this forum, but what I do say is "Yes." It usually shuts the person up. Except those that need to keep going and they say something about they could never do that. One day I will look them straight in the eyes and say, "Do what? Love a child?"

I'll be sure and some back and let you guys know if we get any comments, and how I (hopefully respectfully) handled those comments. :rolleyes1

Wish us the best!

I know what you mean.

We had a very good experience at Disney. Honestly, no one said anything to us (that I heard) that irritated me and the CM's were great. When people usually ignore your child with differences (after they had a chance to stare...), it was really welcome that CM's knew to say ,"hello" and even more. We also had more GOOD interactions with people than in regular life. He also had a fun time on the rides!

I can't speak to the adoption issue, as I know people can be very insensitive to that as well. :(

I hope you have a great trip!!!

Thanks, Heidi. Honestly, I am anticipating nothing by a wonderful family vacation with 4 fabulous kiddos. But sometimes that Southern, mother of 2 disabled children attitude comes out before anyone's even had a chance to ruffle my feathers. It's my own character weakness.

Annnnnnnnnnd, it's the reason that we booked Hoop-De-Doo mid week. Momma needs the all-you-can-drink respite to make it the whole 10 days!:rotfl:

I can't speak to the adoption issue, as I know people can be very insensitive to that as well. :(

I hope you have a great trip!!!

I can speak to the adoption issue. My dd and I spend a lot of time in the parks. If you go in expecting to find negative comments-you most likely will.

What I have found is if I don't call attention to something, most likely other people won't either. My dd is not my "adopted" dd. She is my dd. She is not my child with "insert medical label here". She is my child.

If you do run into someone who makes a comment-ignore them and walk away. You don't owe them any explaination. You can tell them "it is none of your business". Rude people come in all shapes and sizes and you can't fix stupid (I have even found "stupid" in the adoption community where you would think people would know better).It is not my job to educate the masses, I am there to enjoy time with my child.

As I said we are in the parks often and I can't remember the last comment I heard. :)

Thanks, Heidi. Honestly, I am anticipating nothing by a wonderful family vacation with 4 fabulous kiddos. But sometimes that Southern, mother of 2 disabled children attitude comes out before anyone's even had a chance to ruffle my feathers. It's my own character weakness.

Annnnnnnnnnd, it's the reason that we booked Hoop-De-Doo mid week. Momma needs the all-you-can-drink respite to make it the whole 10 days!:rotfl:

Please understand, the rudeness really is the exception to the rule! 99.99% of the time our trips are amazing and magical. the few issues we have had have been spread over the last 20 years and 30-40 trips. with that kind of volume there is bound to be an issue once in a while. I know we all come on here and tell our stories, and complain and commiserate a bit, but understand that I doubt one person here would say they would never go again. Go ahead and anticipate your wonderful vacation, And have a drink for me!:goodvibes

I will eventually be in a scooter or wheelchair due to disabilities and I am dismayed at some of the stories being told in this post about woeful people who think that being kind to someone who is disabled is a disability to them.

However, I just recently visited Disney World and was dismayed by a disabled scooter patron who was using Disney Transportation. He pulled up to the wheelchair loading site and after being loaded, he and thirteen companions, many of them young adults or teenagers, loaded onto the bus in front of people who had been patiently waiting in queue. In my opinion, at least 10 or 11 of those 13 companions should have stood in line instead of jumping in front of the 100 people already in queue. As expected, none of the companions offered their seats to elderly or parents with young children who had been standing in line for several minutes before the scooter drove up.

Common sense, courtesy, and manners should not just apply to non-disabled.

I can promise you, my married kids and grand-kids better not load onto the bus when my scooter does or they will find that I am not as disabled as I may look.

We just visited WDW Friday and Saturday, I have just gotten a new power chair, and it was BUSY at the parks. First day, first thing, we get to DHS on Friday, and we have a 45 minute drive to get there, and so I had to go the bathroom. Normal for us just getting to the parks, so no big thing. With the manual chair, I had been parking it outside the bathroom, and walking in, but I figured I'd try it with the new power, so in I went. That HC stall is first one in to the right, and there was a lady in there, just a lady, LOTS of other stalls open. Then, another lady in a scooter comes in behind me, and I told her the stall was occupied, hoping she'd get that I was waiting. Uh, NOPE!! She drove around me, right to the door, asked if the lady inside was someone she knew, and the lady in the stall said "yea, you can come in if you need to" then opened the door, and let the lady in!! so....I drove all the way THRU that bathroom to the other end stall, park my chair, and get in the bathroom that way.
That was the first thing, second thing we went to get on Star Tours, the HC ramp was busy, so they told us to come back in 10 minutes, gave us the blue ticket, and I went by the entrance, near a garbage can, was a good 12-16 inches away from a lady leaning on the trash can. She then BACKED UP without looking, and ran her ankle into my foot plate. There was nothing I could do to move out of the way. She gave me that "it's your fault" look, but I didn't really care at that point.
Epcot was pretty uneventful that afternoon.
Saturday morning, we headed to AK first, we did ok the first part of the day, and then heading to Camp Minnie Mickey in front of the tree, where all the traffic likes to back up, there was a SMALL lane after waiting for people to come thru, so I started to go, then this guy PUSHED his way coming at us, thru the little hole!! I ran over his foot, but again, nothing I could do!!
Later that night, we headed to MK, and I got knocked in the head with a full backpack. That was the main issue there. so people, please watch where you swing those humongous backpacks!!!!

We arrived in Clermont on 11/21 for our 5 month stay and on the second day of course my girls had to go to Disney. Dumbo had long lines all day so at 11:30 pm we got in the wheelchair line since the regular line had about 15 people in it so I figured the wait wouldn't be that long but I was wrong because the people in front of us had to stand there and argue with the cast member because he wouldn't let them board from the wheelchair line because they didn't have a GAC and they didn't have a wheelchair. See they were traveling with Rudy who I think was the grandfather that was in an ECV waiting outside the ride. They stood there and argued for 10 minutes that they were with someone in a wheelchair and it didn't matter if he was going to ride or not. Finally the CM said I'm going to load these people that actually have wheelchairs. Then the dad told his kids who at this point were crying that they don't like people that are with people in wheelchairs and that they won't let them ride the ride. By this time there were less then 10 people in the regular line.

Yesterday at MGM when someone with a GAC had to wait longer then she would have if she would have gone in the regular line for the Great Movie Ride starting yelling at the CM she only got the GAC so she wouldn't have to wait and wanted to get into the regular line that people were just walking up and getting on. Wonderful CM's then told her oh well now you can wait longer or get out of the line and go back into the regular line.:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter