The latest can you top this

cmesq61

DIS Veteran
Home from another magical week at Disney. One day while in EP I needed to answer nature's call, so I rode my ECV into the nearest ladies room. The stall was a bit tight, so I parked my ECV outside of it and walked into the stall with my cane (ever so carefully due to the sometimes wet floors!).

Anyway, when I was out of the stall and getting back onto my ECV, a woman with 2 little girls approached me and chastised me for using "the big stall." She said "do you know how hard it is to manage 2 children in a regiular sized stall? I needed the big one but you were tying it up." Honest to gosh. She actually said it! I said "If by big stall you mean the handicapped stall, yes, I am handicapped and I used the handicapped stall. To answer your original quesiton, yes, I know how challengining it is to raise children and herd them in a bathroom." And then I simply drove out of the bathroom.

I think I'll be telling that story for a long time. All in all, though, I thought people seemed better toward me and my ECV this trip. Yes, there were still the people who walked into me, stopped short in fornt of me, and tried to race in front of me, and of course, the 2 different dads one night who both tried to bash me and my ECV out of the waywith strollers. But most people seemed reasonable.

Can't wait-57 days till my next trip!!

One time my girls both in wheelchairs were waiting outside the companion bathroom for what seemed like forever when a woman I would say was in her 40's came out of the bathroom with a baby that looked to be about 2 months old in a stroller. She looked at my girls and said until he can walk and is potty trained he is disable just like you. My girls just looked at me because no one questioned her using the bathroom she just rationalized that the baby was handicap until it learned to walk and got potty trained which for someone her age I thought was pretty stupid.

Wow! Just WOW!

Here's a funny "can't fix stupid" story...

My youngest daughter, service dog, and I were at Disneyland one afternoon last September. I was driving my scooter with the dog prancing nicely beside me. A VERY loud mother was walking with her children a few paces behind us. She says....

"SEE KIDS?? SEE THAT GUIDE DOG?? HE'S HELPING THAT BLIND WOMAN DRIVE HER SCOOTER!! ISN'T THAT WONDERFUL??"

My daughter looked at me - dumbstruck.

A thousand smart remarks came to mind, but I chose to just keep driving...

Wow! Just WOW!

My youngest daughter, service dog, and I were at Disneyland one afternoon last September. I was driving my scooter with the dog prancing nicely beside me. A VERY loud mother was walking with her children a few paces behind us. She says....

"SEE KIDS?? SEE THAT GUIDE DOG?? HE'S HELPING THAT BLIND WOMAN DRIVE HER SCOOTER!! ISN'T THAT WONDERFUL??"

That happened to me just today in the market...eek!

Doesn't it make you wonder if people think before they speak??

Surely that's a redundant question? :confused3
(Yeah, I know, your name's not Surely) :)

One time at the Post Office, I was using my walker. I was talking with the clerk about my prosthetic leg. He asked me if that leg ever got cold! I didn't know what to say, since he was that stupid. :eek:

Wow! Just WOW!

I thought you were going to tell us she said something like "I don't know why they get to bring their dog, while we have to leave Fluffy in a kennel."

That would have been even more stupid. :lmao:

Once, when in a mall with DS he was about 12 and I had no choice but to take him in the ladies room and put him in the H/c stall. while I waited outside the stall, a woman said to another "I can't believe she brought a BOY into the womens room!" I replied sweetly "I know I should have taken him into the mens room, but the men seem to get even more upset than you are!" she thought for a moment, and said "ohhh, I guess so! but next time you should just take him home" Really?? I wonder if she could hold it for the 30min drive home.:eek:

I thought you were going to tell us she said something like "I don't know why they get to bring their dog, while we have to leave Fluffy in a kennel."

That would have been even more stupid. :lmao:

That person was at SW yesterday. There was a service animal in training (looked like the handler was socializing the dog with some of the smaller animals). The service animal had on a service animal vest, the handler had on a shirt that said "Service animal trainer". The handler was speaking to one of the educators about training the dog.......

Guy walks up and is LISTENING to the trainer talking to the educator about training the service animal. Guy pipes up and says "how come she gets to bring her pet in and I had to pay for a kennel?"

Wonder if he said the same thing to the officer walking the park with the sniffing dog LOL.

Once I was waiting for the HA stall outside Splash in Disneyland, and I was waiting fairly patiently... Then a woman comes up and tells me she needs the restroom first. My first thought was "invisible medical need with an emergency bathroom trip" - goodness knows I have had those myself...

Nope - "I just rode Splash Mountain and I am freezing cold and wet and I need to change clothes!!"

I replied she could do that in a regular stall, and she told me she "likes" the bigger one.

Why are people so surprised that they are wet and cold after riding SPLASH mountain in NOVEMBER?

Needless to say, I used the toilet before she did!

We took my DMIL 93 to WDW for her first trip in June. While we were there she used her own wheelchair if we were going long distances as she can walk short distances but is too weak for anything over a 100 yards or so.

We were at La Hacienda late one night and she decided she wanted to walk into the restaurant so we parked her wheelchair outside. We exited the restaurant about 1/2 an hour or so after the end of Illuminations so we could walk slowly out of the park after the rush.

We went to get her chair and it was gone! :confused3

This was her chair, not a rental. It had her name all over it. We thought maybe the Disney people picked it up?

We look down toward where Future World and the countries meet and there is a boy about 12 years-old with his family playing with a wheelchair. Yup. DMILs. We went over and politely said to him that that was DMILs wheelchair to please get out of it.

The parents never said a word to us or the child. :sad2:

Once I was waiting for the HA stall outside Splash in Disneyland, and I was waiting fairly patiently... Then a woman comes up and tells me she needs the restroom first. My first thought was "invisible medical need with an emergency bathroom trip" - goodness knows I have had those myself...

Nope - "I just rode Splash Mountain and I am freezing cold and wet and I need to change clothes!!"

I replied she could do that in a regular stall, and she told me she "likes" the bigger one.
I have that same problem a lot at the Wellness Center I go to. They have lots of yoga classes and many times the handicapped stall is occupied by someone changing clothes.

We look down toward where Future World and the countries meet and there is a boy about 12 years-old with his family playing with a wheelchair. Yup. DMILs. We went over and politely said to him that that was DMILs wheelchair to please get out of it.

The parents never said a word to us or the child. :sad2:

That is just sad. That child will never learn right and wrong with parents like that. I have come out of the restroom to have kids climbing all over my ECV too. But they can't easily move it. And generally the parent is standing there checking their phone while the child does what he wants until I ask the child politely to move off the scooter. Then the parent will generally act like they didn't know what junior was doing.

My mom uses an ECV at WDW. Something that's happened to us more than once is after she is loaded onto the bus, the driver always tells her that she needs to transfer to a seat if she can. She does, then after everyone else is loaded, someone always says, here's a seat we'll sit here and plops down on her ECV.:confused3 They then get really huffy when we tell them they need to get off of it. We tell them the driver told my mom she can't sit on it, if she can transfer, so neither can they. They don't seem to get it.

My mom uses an ECV at WDW. Something that's happened to us more than once is after she is loaded onto the bus, the driver always tells her that she needs to transfer to a seat if she can. She does, then after everyone else is loaded, someone always says, here's a seat we'll sit here and plops down on her ECV.:confused3 They then get really huffy when we tell them they need to get off of it. We tell them the driver told my mom she can't sit on it, if she can transfer, so neither can they. They don't seem to get it.

To kind of fix that problem, put the seat down. Most people (I know there are still some out there ballzie enough to put it back up and sit down, but you stop everyone) will not even try to sit there then.

Although it is sad that so many grossly inappropriate, hurtful & ignorant things atresia & done to disabled people, BUT after reading these stories I feel less alone, and to be honest, I've LOL'd A LOT!! thank you!!

Although it is sad that so many grossly inappropriate, hurtful & ignorant things atresia & done to disabled people, BUT after reading these stories I feel less alone, and to be honest, I've LOL'd A LOT!! thank you!!

Me too!!! It does feel good to not feel alone!!

We frequent the parks quite a bit, and most of the time I'm in a manual chair. I haven't had anyone use it, or steal it while I was on an attraction, but it is extremely difficult to take it into the bathrooms. There's ALWAYS a lady with 4 kids with her using the big HC stall, and then when you give them a look when they come out, they are the ones who give the bad looks because I'm HC. I do need the taller toilet, and the hand bars, otherwise I get stuck and can't get up off the potty!! :scared1: So, most of the time I have to wait. Sometimes we go into the companion stall with my DH, cause I am afraid of getting stuck on the potty. It happens here at home, and I have to have DH or worse DS get me up. When we're at WDW, if it happens, I have no one to help me, cause they can't come in the ladies room!! DH has sent someone in to check on me before, that he didn't know, or a CM passing by to make sure I wasn't stuck tho. It does drive me crazy, the women who take their kids in there, and with 3 or more, it takes FOREVER to get the HC stall. I have left the chair outside of a stall, and used the smaller HC stall, but I make sure it's in the way of the other people taking up space in the big one LOL They gripe about having to step over my chair, then that's what they get, right?? :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter