The Last Trip: An (Eastern) Fantasy Food Adventure-Bonus Feature, Pam & Her Mom Pt 2 Sept 17 the end

For some reason I am only getting selective alerts again and missed a bunch of updates.
We lifted the Travel Ban! :banana:

Yay for the lifting of the travel ban.

We're getting really close to being done, essentially just a few more pieces of furniture left to sell or donate. It's just been so overwhelmingly hot here, we are taking baby steps. We have two major furniture pieces still to list on eBay/Craigslist. So the end is in sight, pretty much.

That is wonderful news.

American has changed their mileage options (either that or we booked this trip way too late). The 1st class/business flights that we used to take for 25K miles for each jaunt are now 45K each flight. We might have had to deal with that on our last trip, but we had more miles then. Now we only have 116K, and if we travel coach, we need three seats which is almost as expensive, 20K per seat, so a total of 120K.

That stinks. I know a lot of frequent flyer programmes are changing their miles structure at the moment.

When I woke up it was pouring rain, like monsoon, not the sprinkle we had in St. Thomas.

Oh dear, Castaway Cay in the rain is no fun. I am glad that it improved later.

Then I crossed the hallway into the actual Rainforest Room, and there was only one other person in there.

That was a bit of luck.

When I had sufficiently perspired, I tried the various showers. They were all too cold, but they rinsed me off well enough to get in the hot tub.

I always find this with the showers in the Rainforest Room.

This was my last one before I got another free one. The CM was so nice he gave me a new card with 5 stamps on it!

That was nice of him.

I love the top.

heard her tell another guest that she could hear the fireworks from her house. The only time I've heard that phrase was in respect to Disneyland.

Actually we have friends in Orlando that can hear the Magic Kingdom fireworks from their house. When the new fireworks show started, they said that it sounds like World War 3 has started in their family room.

Turns out she was from Yorba Linda

It really is a small world.

I wasn't paying close attention and I thought I was getting a Strawberry and vanilla cone, but it turns out that it was strawberry and banana. It was surprisingly good, I never would have expected that.

I have seen this combination a number of times on the Wonder.

Our tablematers ordered the Porcini Sachetti

Fran had Malaysian Chicken satay

She had the Beef Wellington and was very happy with this.

That menu looks right up my street.

Just about everything was Castaway Cay specific. Only place on the planet you can get it.

When we were there in November, the Disney Outlet on Vineland Street in Orlando had a ton of Castaway Cay merchandise.

Oh, I love those.

Not sure if we’re just crazy or anyone else plays this, but we like to count how many lizards we see on our trip.

I do this, too.

Corinna

Sounds like it was a pretty easy morning getting off the ship. Great that you had a mini-meet!

Love the CC shirt and the Marie shirt.

I was amazed at how smooth it went. I got some cool shirts this trip!

On our very first cruise we went to the regular BBQ on CC, only because it was a double dip and we had already eaten at Serenity Bay. We much prefer the SB lunch and have never gone back to regular place.

That's good to know. I've never eaten at the regular place, always gone to SB.

Great last morning on the ship, you made excellent time. Loved seeing the pictures of the Quiet Cove. I'm ready to go back :hyper:

Awesome that you remembered to get your free coffee.

Just a little over a year now! :thumbsup2

It's so rare that you get anything for free at Disney you must take advantage of it!

I LOVE your CC shirt!!! I must buy that when we go next year. I hope they still have it!

My SiL would adore that Marie shirt, if I see it I must buy it for her. I've never seen it before.

I find that they don't have the same things as last time when I get back, to be truthful, I've only been there three times.

Sounds like an excellent debarkation - and there is no better cure to the just-got-off-the-Fantasy-blue than a stay at WDW right after!

WDW certainly bridges the gap back into the real world by easing you in slowly. No one is making your room twice a day, and you have to pay for your meals, but it's still magical!

Gotta have priorities!

Wow! Nice work out of you two!

Amazing what we can do when we put our minds to it!

Nice when it's not stressful.

You can sure say that!

I know! It's such a beautiful sight!

Well, as along as the repo man isn't knocking on your door, you must be doing something right.

As much as I joke about being broke, I do realize that we are very fortunate financially. We don't worry about where our next meal is coming from, we have a roof over our heads and we have health insurance. There are people with less than that who are still happy and functioning in society.

And thanks for posting that. There goes another week of sleep.

:laughing:

Wow, I thought you'd tried everything at this point!

Oh, geez no! As you can see from my signature I've only eaten at 40% of the restaurants, and there are so many other things I still have yet to try.

Well...I mean, it's barbecue.

True, but when I go to kiosks in Epcot I want to try things I can only get there. Plus I did have the BBQ last year with Jim and Alberto.

For some reason I am only getting selective alerts again and missed a bunch of updates.

Yes, I've heard this from a number of people....

That stinks. I know a lot of frequent flyer programmes are changing their miles structure at the moment.

Yeah, I'm not happy with it, we are considering getting a Southwest Rewards Visa since we will probably be traveling on them more often now.

Oh dear, Castaway Cay in the rain is no fun. I am glad that it improved later.

Me too, I hope we have better luck next time.

I always find this with the showers in the Rainforest Room.

Huh. This was my first time, can you control the temperature?

I love the top.

Thanks, I got a gray one last week too.

Actually we have friends in Orlando that can hear the Magic Kingdom fireworks from their house. When the new fireworks show started, they said that it sounds like World War 3 has started in their family room.

I didn't know that people lived that close. I thought there was a good buffer around the parks other than employee housing.

I have seen this combination a number of times on the Wonder.

It was not bad at all, but I believe that it is deadly for you.

When we were there in November, the Disney Outlet on Vineland Street in Orlando had a ton of Castaway Cay merchandise.

Interesting to note. We rarely get a car, so we don't get there often.

I do this, too.

Oh, good, we're not the only ones!

So for those of you hold outs still using Photobucket, I’m sure by now you have heard the news about them trying to grab us by the wallet. We are no longer made of money and $400 a year to write Trip Reports is ridiculous to me so I have adopted a new way of adding photos to my trip report. Instead of using some site that I do not know when they will pack it up and shut down all my pictures, I’m using our own site that we use for hosting the website that advertises our apartments. It going to take some extra work on my part, but rumor has it that PB has already dug themselves in so deep with all the free accounts they gave out. This $400 charge may well be a last ditch effort to save themselves. So here's what I ask of you. My first post (this one) has full sized images. They are slower loading, so for the second post, I optimized them for the web. Please let me know if you notice a difference between the resolution and load time for each of the posts.

We left off saying goodbye to our friends, they were going back to their room and we were going to lunch!

z17FC0304CDF01.jpg

We were seated almost immediately at Le Chefs de France.

z17FC0304CF02.jpg

z17FC0304CF03.jpg

I had a pretty good idea what we wanted. We always end up with too much food from here, and this time we tried not to have that problem.

z17FC0304CF04.jpg

z17FC0304CF05.jpg

z17FC0304CF06.jpg

z17FC0304CF07.jpg

z17FC0304CF08.jpg

We each ordered a soup. I got the Onion Soup gratinee’. This soup ran circles around the one I had on the cruise line.

z17FC0304CF09.jpg

The cheese was ooey gooey, and the broth was just fantastic!

z17FC0304CF10.jpg

She got the lobster Bisque and really enjoyed that one as well.

z17FC0304CF11.jpg

They also served us some French Bread and Butter.

z17FC0304CF12.jpg

Then we split the Macaroni au Gratin. This is so rich and full of Bechamel sauce. I tried really hard to finish it, but there was no chance. We took the leftovers with us, but they ended up staying in the fridge where we put them when we checked out of the hotel.

z17FC0304CF13.jpg

[Continued in Next Post]

[Continued from Previous Post]

Outside the restaurant was the Beauty and the Beast Topiary.

z17FC0304FC01.jpg

We didn't have dessert at the restaurant on purpose. When we had passed the France kiosk earlier in the day we decided to share a Macaron for dessert.

z17FC0304FC02.jpg

z17FC0304FC03.jpg

It was a raspberry macaron with fudge filling. Unfortunately the fudge was so strong that it overpowered the raspberry flavor and you couldn't taste that at all.

I also got a Grey Goose Le Vie en Rose slushy.

z17FC0304FC04.jpg

We had planned to go to the Festival Center next, and just as we were walking through Canada the text came in that the room was ready. Fran still wanted to go to the Festival Center, so we pushed on, capturing pictures of the topiaries along the way.

z17FC0304FC05.jpg

z17FC0304FC06.jpg

z17FC0304FC07.jpg

z17FC0304FC08.jpg

I love what they do to the International Gateway during this Festival.

z17FC0304FC09.jpg

It appears to me that they seem to make this area near the Imagination Pavilion Fantasia Themed. It was like this last year as well.

z17FC0304FC10.jpg

z17FC0304FC11.jpg

z17FC0304FC12.jpg

z17FC0304FC13.jpg

These people really annoyed me. I wanted a picture without anyone in it, but they refused to leave. I spent the entire time while Fran bought pins waiting. Finally I just took the picture figuring that I would photoshop them out, but on another day I got one.

z17FC0304FC14.jpg

z17FC0304FC15.jpg

Another photo op that I waited forever to get a shot without people. I should have photoshopped out the guy’s shadow!

z17FC0304FC16.jpg

z17FC0304FC17.jpg

z17FC0304FC18.jpg

z17FC0304FC19.jpg

z17FC0304FC20.jpg

The Festival center wasn’t that exciting, mostly a store, we left after making a couple purchases.

Next up: We head back to the room.

This was my first time, can you control the temperature?

I am not sure about on the Fantasy, but on the Magic and Wonder, you can adjust the temperature on the fog shower and the one with the jets, but not on the rain shower.

I didn't know that people lived that close. I thought there was a good buffer around the parks other than employee housing.

I think because it is so flat, sound travels further. Our friends are about 15 minutes away from the entrance of Magic Kingdom.

It was not bad at all, but I believe that it is deadly for you.

Yes, I am always a little nervous when I see this combination as I am not sure how well they clean the machines between different flavours.

It was a raspberry macaron with fudge filling. Unfortunately the fudge was so strong that it overpowered the raspberry flavor and you couldn't taste that at all.

That sounds amazing. What a shame that this combination did not really work.

I also got a Grey Goose Le Vie en Rose slushy.

z17FC0304FC04.jpg

That looks delicious.

Corinna

It was deja vu with your update! I'm glad your soups were awesome like ours were!

You got some great photos of the festival displays!

Photos are only slightly slower loading, but they look great! If it saves you $400 it's a perfect solution. That macaron looks good but looks awfully small for $4.75. But we all gladly pay it, don't we? Love those slushies.

I had no issues with the photos loading (our internet is VERY fast) so ......:confused3:thumbsup2

I'm kicking myself that I didn't get a La Vie en Rose slushy in January *sob*

Such gorgeous photos of the topiaries. I'd say with the amount of people that I'm sure were there that day you did a great job of getting empty/nearly empty photos! Perhaps 'bumping' into people with the scooter may make them move out of the way a little sooner :confused3 :rotfl:

Pics worked out great! And you did an admirable job of getting them people free!

They are loading fine - my only issue is that some are too big for my screen (working from a laptop). LOL

I have to say that the pics are loading very slowly for me (can't tell a difference between the two posts though as it affects everything on one webpage).

I have had issues with pics loading slowly on my ipad before and will give it a try on that as well (currently at work PC). I fear that there I will notice it very much. I have often trouble when people post lots of pictures on it already.

The photos are loading fine for me, and the clarity is good. Very much enjoying your trip report (as always). The topiary photos are lovely!

See I'm a couple chapters behind, but am slowly catching up. I have both your threads left as I saved the best for last this time. Will be back after dinner maybe or tomorrow. :) Hope you're having a fabulous day so far!!

No problem loading the pictures on my phone and they look great.

That lunch! :faint: popcorn::

How sad about the macaron, I've had that one several times and the raspberry is always very distinct. Love it!

Aren't those topiaries fantastic!!! I especially liked the Pooh ones this year.

Boo on the people who wouldn't move.

Love Flower and Garden photos!

Slight slowness with the pics loading but nothing significant--really see the details in the bigger pics.

Well, I am sorry to report this, but the thread would not load at all on my ipad. Yes, it is already 4 years old. But this was even slower than other picture heavy posts.

Hope you have good luck with all your F&W bookings today!

All the pics worked Great for me on my iPad! I'm so glad the travel ban has been lifted ... I love reading your trip reports!

Thanks, it took some work on my part to be able to fit into it!

Makes sense. With all those light sabers, it'd be real easy to cut off a limb or something.

I think he did make some noises, I was so engaged with C-3PO that I wasn't paying much attention to R2D2 and then he moved! I was so blown away by that, and the photographer flashing the camera I was sort of on sensory overload!

<Alison has sudden seizure>

I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out!

That's why I'm here.

Well in his defense there are pools on either side of the food court. You can't see them but they're probably less than 25 meters away on either side.

Ah. Okay. He gets a pass then.

I would have preferred a pickle spear, but those don't go well on hamburgers so you have to eat a lot of slices to make up for one spear.

Yes! Exactly this!
Are you sure you won't marry me?

It was very nice, but I'm not sure I would do it again.

Really! Why?

Oh, it was very good. We went to a winemaker dinner once where they poured only Tokaji wines. It was super expensive and they only gave small pours, but wines were very good. I think you would like them, they are sweet.

Yumm!

I was afraid to try it at first, but when Fran said that she couldn't taste any I got brave.

I dunno... I'm extremely sensitive. I don't have a great sense of smell or taste I don't think.... except in that department.

I have not tried any of the wines with Pixar labels, but I've been to a Lasseter wine dinner (with John and his wife present),

No. Way!!!!

and a spoiler alert on the other TR, one of the wine demos that we went to on our last day at the F&W Festival was with Lasseter vineyards. We are even members of their wine club. I just had a bottle of their wine the other night.

Nice! Didn't know that.
(Must get my cameras fixed... er... uh.... How could I possibly know that?)

I just don't choose, but it's hard to weed out which ones I'm going to post.

::yes::

No, you can't take food "to go", which is weird since you can take it from the buffet or the quick service back to your room.

Yes. Very weird.

Something to do with germs and disease breaking out. Like if you don't put it in your cooler and then eat it the next day. And who is to say that you're going to eat your room service order right away? But no they don't want you taking food from the dining rooms.

That makes zero sense if you can take buffet items.

Well once I got whatever it was that was bothering me out of my system, I went right to sleep and felt fine the next morning.

Good!

Well luckily not in the 100s in Long Beach, but in Palm Springs it's been up to 122,

:faint:

we've been in the high 80's but with 90% humidity

Ugh. Just... no.

Well as I think about it, the last couple trips we paid the 45K, but that was because we wanted the non stop flight and didn't want to change in Dallas. However now even the flight's with a plane change are 45K as well. Ever since American and US Airways merged it's been going downhill. The used to bake cookies near the end of the flight. That stopped as soon as the merger took place.

:sad2:

Mergers are supposed to be a good thing, aren't they?

Bummer. We leave Nov 2nd. We get there on the night of the 25th.

Hmm... You never know. I still need to check on a few things.

I know, is a little climate control too much to ask?

Yeah! Come on already!

No, it's a fairly old movie. 2008, I just looked it up. George Lopez and Drew Barrymore were the main stars (voices). There have been two sequels since.

I'm apparently out of the loop.

I doubt you would ever get to see the women's locker room! :eek:

:lmao: I meant the other areas! Or are the all gender specific?

Both were humid heat, but the steam room has a big burst of steam every few minutes. The room is so steamy you can't see across it. The Turkish bath you can see everyone clearly. I think I like the anonymity of the steam room better.

I get that.

I can't wait until the next cruise to get in it on a day at sea!

I bet!

I can't imagine how much these heated ones cost! :eek:

I wouldn't know. I didn't see them for sale anywhere.

That's the thing about a lot of these storms, they pass through and it's nice the rest of the day. Usually.

Ah. I guess unless there's a tropical storm or hurricane.

Just about everything was Castaway Cay specific. Only place on the planet you can get it.

Oh. Hmmm... I wonder if I'd get anything.... not a big souvie fan.

Well considering that planes don't land on it any longer, I don't think it's an issue. It was only when the island was used for drug smuggling that the trams could pose a problem for planes.

But it would be more exciting.

That was my entire reason for wanting to skip the family buffet. That and the Rib Eye were exclusive to the adults beach buffet. Perhaps some of the salads as well. When I went up and took a peek at the family buffet, I immediately saw no Mahi Mahi, and that clinched the decision for me.

Would for me too.

I wish she would never that happy at home!

Guess you'll just have to go on more trips!

They had lots of odd flavors at the soft serve machines on the ship. I'm not a huge fan of soft serve, so I only went there the one time to get her a tub of it, earlier in the cruise.

I'm usually not a fan either. But if there's nothing else... and I want ice cream....

Thank you, it looks nice along with our Iron Man, Haunted Mansion mug, Spaceship Earth....too many souvie mugs!

<shelf buckles and crashes to the floor from the immense weight resting upon it.>

Actually you can't do that. The sheets they leave for you are the minimum amount you have to give your host/servers. But we have always had such excellent service we feel they should be rewarded. Besides, they are paid almost nothing. The only pay they really get is from tips which is why they are so willing to do almost anything for you.

Actually, yes you can. Perhaps not on Disney, but on whatever cruise line she was on. She went and insisted they lower it.

:sad2:

My mom: Calculated 15% on the sub-total before taxes and tips exactly that amount. or close to it.
Me: Roughly calculates 20% of the total after taxes and usually adds on more to that.

I can understand. If it were a guy in there, I would have been reluctant to get in.

Guy or girl, I probably won't get in.

Wait... is she super hot? Then I'm getting in.... and she's getting out!

I've only had it at Disney, on the cruise ship and at a place that you have dined at.

But it wasn't offered. I'd know. I would've ordered it. ;)

and get my free cup of coffee!

Free... How much did this cruise cost for your "free" cup of coffee? ;)

I think it's cute you're so proud of that! :laughing:

Pretty!

We went back to the Enchanted Garden and we had the table to ourselves. The tablemates had let us know that they planned to do the walk off early and wouldn’t be coming for sit down breakfast.

Were you happy about that, or sad?

I got Eggs for the Road with eggs over easy

I'm very torn. I love good scrambled eggs... but they're almost impossible to find prepared correctly.
So my go to (especially if I have toast for dipping) is over easy.

We both surrendered to our breakfast and gave up before we could join the clean plate club.

:sad2: Good thing you weren't at Prime Time.

She was small but mighty and handled our seven bags (including carry-ons) with ease.

Wonder Woman!

Customs was a breeze, other than the customs agent calling me Goldilocks,

:laughing: You liked that, didn't you.

This is the story of my life, even today I was moving our money all over the place to make things work out. Ugh.

:hug:

The stuff nightmares are made of.

no our room was not ready yet,

I wouldn't' think so, that early.

Nice!

I got a Grand Marnier Slushie, my first! It was very good!

Aren't those good?!?! I had my first on my trip with Kay.

Cool!

I realized that the Morocco kiosk had a Merguez “Hot Dog” which certainly got me curious.

Me too. I had to Google what a Merguez was. I'd try that!

It was spicy and I think I'm the only one who really liked it.

I wonder. Super spicy? Or just a bit hot?
I might like it. I'd certainly give it a shot.

It was really good and the only complaint we had was that I didn’t make enough sausages.

:goodvibes Well that's good!

We watched the Taiko Drummers for a few minutes before moving on.

Love Taiko drumming. We have a very good one here in Winnipeg.
Also, I have a cousin who just recently went to Japan for a Taiko workshop.

But first we admired these miniature gardens.

I like those!

But not without taking our meet photo to prove we did meet.

Photoshopped!

Not sure if we’re just crazy or anyone else plays this, but we like to count how many lizards we see on our trip.

You're just crazy.

;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter