The Gulf State Park DISMeet 2017 Thread (aka "The Sequel")

We went to Fisher's for dinner. It is supposed to be upscale and the prices were. The food was good but not worth the price. I enjoyed Blue Gill a lot more. We did get oysters again this time grilled. I still prefer them raw but these were good. Probably the highlight of the meal.

IMG_2573.JPG

Next the grouper which was the special. Individually all components were good but they did not go together so perfectly. It was definitely over priced though.

IMG_2574.JPG

Also had crispy Brussel sprouts those were good too.

After dinner we got home and fed pups. It had stopped raining so took them for a walk. Ran into some new dissers, hi again, and then saw Jim and Ian. Mallory got lots of pets. Then she met some new people and got more love. This is when yeti was tired so into the wagon he went.

IMG_2578.JPG

He looked pretty pathetic but tiggerdad drove by and everyone said hi to the dogs. I do think yeti was happy for his ride. We did let him walk the last bit to the rig.

No sitting outside it is wet. Hoping the weather holds up to get a run tomorrow morning but still calling for rain the rest of the week.

The Ya-Ya is what I always get Ed. Always loved it.

After the rain we went walking on the beach. Dave, the park ranger was riding the beach in his truck and stopped by. He educated the girls on different shells and animals in the park. Then he recognized me and immediately thanked us for the food that we Disers had sent to them the other night.

Dave is originally from Tuscaloosa and we got to talking about my property in northern Tuscaloosa county and he has family that live about a mile away from it.

This evening we redeemed our two free game passes from last year at Pirate Island golf.
IMAG1223.jpg

I officiated as this bunch of cheaters have to be watched closely.

Mike, I'll try and ride over to the dog park and get you some pics before we leave.

The rain is keeping us indoors this morning. My bunch is still sleeping so I took my breakfast and made a run for Southalabama5ers camper.

Tried to get started on new puzzle but the rain didn't allow for that either.

Good to see Ed's wife made it in safe.

td-sleeping.jpg

Okay... I get it... Your on vacation and my time (circled) is an hour later than your time (I am eastern, yours is central) but really? I wish I could sleep that late.

Interesting lunch.

Lisa and I went to King Neptune's and we both ended up NOT getting seafood (oddly enough).

I saw fried chicken livers on their lunch special menu and it's not often I get those so fried chicken livers, fried okra, new potatoes, a dab of bread pudding, and garlic toast was $4.95. Hey, it wasn't haute cuisine but it was only $4.95. Guess that gives me a bigger budget for dinner. Lisa ended up getting a $4.95 veggie plate. We're cheap dates I tell ya.

Rain stopped (mostly) about 11am. I've got a GFCI outlet in the Aliner that keeps popping off. Circuit breakers are all fine, inside and out. The fridge is downstream of this particular plug so as it cuts off (after only about 15 seconds after you reset it), the fridge tries to flip over to propane and I hear it clicking trying to light the gas. So I don't want to leave it till I get home.

On the puzzle front, as Michael said, not much progress was made. We had to break down the Pooh puzzle first and put it away then I had a combo box of 5 different Disney puzzles: two 300 piece, two 500 piece, and a 750 piece. I asked Randy which one he preferred and his answer was "go big or go home". So we started the 750 before the drizzle started.

Bama Ed

We decided to drive around to ride out the rain. Stopped in FloraBama lounge, but decided to grab lunch at Michael's favorite Gulf Island Grill. The rain has stopped, so we will be heading to the beach when we get back.

j

We woke up this morning to the sound of frog and not rain. My butt was hurting so I wanted to get my run over with. I started about 7:20 and that was important. Bert started 15 minutes later I guess. I got back and did some exercises am so waited for Bert. The sky was dark. I saw a flash and heard thunder and it was not Bert. Then it started to pour. I went out was going to get in the car but then I saw him. I beat the rain he did not. We waited out the storm and then went to breakfast at Brick&a Spoon. Was delicious had biscuits with gravy to start and then a crab scramble with cheese grits.

IMG_2579.JPG

It was still raining but much lighter so decided to hit the outlet mall. I wish I had not but made some good purchases for both of us. My frivolous one is the best.

IMG_2581.JPG

Okay, so after the rain we rode over to OB as DW insisted on new shirts. After that I decided that if Ed was gonna take my suggestion on a restaurant then it was only fair I did the same.

We headed to Desotos behind Souvenir City (aka the shark place)
IMAG1230.jpg

I had the stuffed shrimp, au gratin potatoes, and corn fritters.
IMAG1231.jpg
My oldest got the grilled shrimp.
IMAG1232.jpg
All and all a good find and the food was good. I figured it would be as the outward appearance of the building was a little run down. In my experience this equals good food, which it was.

Afterwards nobody could decide what to do, so I did. Being the history nerd I am:
IMAG1234_1.jpg
To me it was nice. Had a good video documenting Hurricane Ivan landfall in 2004. They were thoroughly bored. Maybe now they've learned their lesson and will spit out suggestions next time.

Kris,

I made the mistake of showing Donna the Mickey Coach purse, I just got her a Dooney and Burke Cardinals purse for Mother's Day. Her birthday is coming up in August though. :worship:

j

We have ended up at The Original Oyster House.

Wait with us won't you? They quoted us 30-40 minutes.

Bama Ed

Well the rain cleared out enough the afternoon, got outside and rode bike and visited with other DIS'ers. Right now I'm at The Yard Milkshake Bar waiting 45 minutes to get our $57 worth of milkshakes, so I'll take sometime to do a post or three!!
20170601_200553_zps8qf0hojh.jpg

Anyhow we rode down to the dog park to get some pictures for Mike as directed by Tiggerdad,

20170601_162739_zpso4dkmqna.jpg

20170601_162745_zpsxpuytiie.jpg

20170601_162745_zpsxpuytiie.jpg

20170601_162754_zpssgqlfnci.jpg

It looks very nice, and plenty of room for Fido to run around.
20170601_162927_zpszrzp7kfn.jpg

20170601_162930_zpsxbcujuxa.jpg

20170601_162941_zpssjiito2z.jpg

I guess they got a copy of Disney dog park rules,
20170601_162945_zpsdafxbpyo.jpg

And always pay attention to the little blue sign,
20170601_190811_zpsu1kodr52.jpg

They're not joking.

On the way to the dog park I came across a Bobcat.
20170601_163810_001_zpsix6fu0in.jpg

We had a starring contest,
20170601_163823_zps6zk58i3n.jpg

I won. Well just got my shake, I'll post a pic of it in a few.

Well after lunch we swung by the local GS library (always wanted to check it out).

Then I stopped at Wally World and got a new GFCI and went back to the camper and swapped it out. Problem solved!

After that Lisa and I went for a ride around Middle Lake using parts of the newer trail system and parts of it that had been around for a year or two. It was a very pleasant experience. I'll have to measure it here later on.

The sun had come out and it turned into a very pleasant afternoon. I set up the puzzle table and the silent song went out and soon Randy and Michael were snapping pieces in place. Here is out current 750 piece project:

As I said it turned into a nice day.

This project is underway.

My dinner was good at Oyster House. I blew out the budget and got the broiled seafood platter. Since we're into food pictures on this trip, I have to oblige. Three kinds of shrimp (broiled, stuffed, boiled) and fish.

Cool pix of the bobcat, Randy.

Bama Ed

It sounds like everyone had a more exciting night than we did. Bobcat, milkshakes, GFCIs and a library.

We hit another beach store. Ian had a blowout on one of his flip flops and needed replacements. Then we hit the Pink Pony Pub. It's a long standing establishment in the middle of the Gulf Shores tourist Mecca. We had a big lunch and just wanted snacks tonight. Since everyone has been posting food pics, I figured I'd take some too.

Beef nachos and mozarella sticks.
20170601_204104-1328x747.jpg
20170601_204109-1328x747.jpg

And of course, something to wash it down. A margarita for Donna and a beach banana for me along with Donna's phone case to the it all together.

20170601_201828-1328x747.jpg

j

We ate pizza at the camper (Thanks Ashley). After that we went golfing at the Track.

After golfing we went for our customary dessert at Scoops.
IMAG1240.jpg
If you notice Papa Rocco's sign in the background it's a pretty... different slogan. Keep saying I'm gonna try it one day.

Me and my youngest had the banana split. Per my norm I substituted the mint chocolate chip in place of vanilla.
IMAG1237.jpg
You notice two of the cherries are already gone. My oldest is quick in the art of stealing dessert toppings.

After that it was a trip to the longest pier on the Gulf Coast. If you are staying in the campground then admission to the pier is included for free.
IMAG1244.jpg

IMAG1246.jpg

To finish off the night we took up lights and nets and made our way down the beach towards the middle beach. I would hazzard a guess at probably 20 crabs captured and released.

Definitely an ice cream night. After dinner, which were burgers in the grill, we walked dogs. Yeti made it all the way to canal and back home without the wagon. I think because everyone was out so no talking just slow walking.

Then we went to the beach and walked around dusk. Bert has the pics of the interesting sky with the dark clouds. From there we tried to go to Scoops. Lots of cars and it had started to rain. The line was out the door, so we continued in and hit Matt's.

It's early looks like I should be able to run this morning supposedly rain will hold off till dinner.

Today the sun is out! :yay:

And my bunch is still in bed. :confused3

Been out riding this morning. Found some of the locals sun bathing.
IMAG1249.jpg
IMAG1259.jpg

Randy thanks for pics of dog park definite need to do some more work with these 2 to keep them away from the water and the locals.
Kris thanks for heads up on the frogs we have them out and chirping nightly now and Sky badgers me into letting her out to hunt them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter