The good, the bad and the ugly about July

Ms. S. White

Mouseketeer
Any insight on the middle of July? Obviously after the 4th! Is it as hot as it is in August? Crowds? Has anyone ever received a really good rate? Any comments would be appreciated!

I was there the third week of July 2001 and it was HOT!!
Very, very humid.
It thunderstormed every afternoon for about 2-3 hours but that didn't do much to cool it off.
My best advice is to take it slow, wear a hat and carry plenty of water with you.
I moved in slow motion the entire week.
I can't remember how the crowds were. I think I was too delirious from the heat to notice.

I was there last July 5-12. Yes, it was hot. The weather changes from year to year and day to day, so there are no guarantees except that it will DEFINITELY be HOT in July. We were fine. We were at the parks at opening in the AM--took an afternoon break and went back in the evening. The good news is the parks are open late in July. It doesn't really cool down at night, but it's a bit better without the sun beating down on you. The humidity is always there. It rained just about every day in the afternoon.

We were there July 20-27 last year, and it was hot and rained EVERY DAY. Crowds did not seem much different from when we usually go -- last week of May or first week of June. It was by far our least satisfying Disney trip but part of that was b/c there was no early entry. Being able to tour early before it got so hot or started raining would have made a big difference, I think. We skipped many things we had planned to do including Fantasmic, which was cancelled two of the three nights we tried it -- the other was the night after one or two cancellations and was much too crowded to get in. If it was the only time I could go, I would go then but it would not be my first choice.

We'll be there ourselves next July 8!!! I am wondering about the heat too. Well, atleast we will be having fun while battling the heat!! I read somewhere to bring a ziplock with ice and a bandana/washcloth that way you can cool off a little. I think this will be espcially helpful for the kids.

We were there July, 17 - 22, 2001 and it was hot, humid, and rained everyday from about 3-5pm. That being said, it was still an awesome trip. The key is to be prepared. Bring a bunch of bottled water to WDW with you, rent a fridge, and store the water in there. Everyday, before you head out, load up a back pack with water bottles to use throughout the day. (They cost ~$2.50 in the parks.)

As for clothing, wear light colored, loose fitting, comfortable clothes, a hat, sunglasses, and comfortable (and not worn out!!) tennis shoes (this is VERY important).

Get an early start every day. Try to do EMH (Extra Magic Hour) parks everyday and go until about early afternoon. (1:00 or so) By then, things will be really heating up and the parks will start getting crowded. Go back to your resort and take nap and a swim. You'll be surprised how much the nap helps you. Go back out about 4:00 - 5:00, hopefully by then the rain will be about over, and stay in the park until it closes. The nice thing about summer is that there are long park hours.

This is the plan we followed and it worked great for us.

As for crowds, yes it will be more crowded then mid-September or early February, but it's not a zoo like Christmas/NYE, Easter, & July 4. The kids may all be out for summer, but they are not all there the same week!

Have a great trip!!!

Mid July is HOT and HUMID. Really HOT and HUMID. It rains - everyday. Sometimes all day rain, thunderstorms, you get the picture. The crowds are thick. It's on-season and costs alot more. And after all that - here's why I LOVE mid July. The parks are open late. All parades and shows are running. The rain sometimes thins out the crowds if you're willing to stay in the park and deal with it. The waterparks are so much more enjoyable when the temp is 95 and the humidity is 100%. The whole WDW complex is alive and thriving, which adds to the magic - and since the grand invention of Fastpass, it is completely possible to experience all the biggies despite the crowds.

I am sad that I can't go in July this year, but our budget has pushed us to the end of August. I would go again in a heartbeat in mid-July. :D

We went week of July 4th, we had great time it was crowded and hot!!!!! Cast was I,DW and teenage son. If you have a plan and take several rest breaks in the shade you can have a great time. We were in our late 30's then now in our early 50's I don't think we will try WDW in July again.We now visit first part of December now, for last 15 years anyway.I'm glad we had our July experience at WDW , we did see many little ones and adults for that matter who looked melted and unhappy.So if you can't handle heat and crowds July can be hard on you.:D

It seems every time we've gone in July the parks have been saturated with LARGE tour groups from South America. We haven't found that to be the case in mid-June which have made our vacations more enjoyable.

Went last year in July and will be going back this July. Yes it is hot, yes it is humid, but everything is up and running and the hours are later. The rates at the deluxes are considered Value Season and last year we got an AP rate at Poly that was wonderful compared to what they normally want. We are hoping they will have these again this year. Our big meal was lunch so we would have ressies there right in the heat of the day, around 1:30. This was we were hot and tired when we went in to eat, had a leisurly meal, and when we came out an hour or hour and a half it had cooled down a little. Or we would go to the hotel for a swim. I also like July because DD likes the ride the wet rides over and over and to go swimming the whole time so this way I'm not freezing in the winter. Hope this helps!

Take extra outfits or be prepared to do laundry. It isn't unusual to wear 2 outfits a day. Also take extra tennis shoes, your shoes will not dry out over night after being caught in the rain. Using deodorant on your feet before wearing your socks helps prevent blisters.

We have had wonderful vacations at WDW in July, being prepared makes a big difference.

And, be sure to spend some time at the water parks!

fd091551.jpg

In previous years, we always went in July. It took about 2 years for us to learn our lesson! It always rains every afternoon for 2-3 hours, it's VERY hot (and we are hot weather lovers)- almost unbearably so and humid, too. Also, the number one reason for staying out of WDW in July....................
The Brazilian Tour Groups!!!!!

Ann

Are you willing to tell me more about the Brazillian tour groups?? Here at DL, we get the Mexico and Baja California groups. It makes it very crowded with hundreds and hundreds of schoolchildren around.

hayesmama

Thank you for all of your comments and suggestions!!

What's the deal with the South American/Brazilian tour groups?

we were in the world mid july of 2002...it was probably the hottest i have ever felt it...you could not go outside for more then a few minutes without having sweat run off of your head...

we kept our cool by drinking lots of water and taking breaks in the shade...we also did one day at the resort pool (we stayed at beach club villas)...

that being said, i would not hesitate to go again during the month of july...most of the attractions are inside and air-conditioned so it's not really that big a deal...just take your time and you will be fine....

the south american groups...now that is another thing...i found some of them (not all) to be very rude, loud and persumptious...some thought nothing of keeping one person standing in line and then letting their group of 20 to 30 jump in with them as they entered the attraction...some were also very loud and would not keep quiet in some of the attractions...lots of singing and chanting from them like they were at a soccer game...

have a great time!!!!

sunking

They are usually large groups of mostly teenagers with no concept of waiting in lines, no concept of saying "excuse me", and pretending not to speak English unless they are ordering food, in which case they speak perfect English. A few years ago, my DH and I were on the Rio del Tiempo ride in Epcot sitting in the boat in front of some of these kids, and one of them actually reached out and stroked my hair while we were on the ride!!

We were there last July, the week of the 4th. We must have been a bit early for the Brazilian teens, whose nasty reputation is well-known here. I personally think that ANY large group of teens with no parents around to supervise is bound to become scary. Anyway, the only tour groups we saw were comprised of Japanese adults, and they seemed to be well-mannered and quite organized. :)

Our weather was quite hot and we knew it would be crowded. We went to the parks only every OTHER day -- day on, day off. That way we didn't get exhausted. We tried to do the parks on the least hot days and avoided AK entirely. Too little AC in that place! We swam in the afternoons or rested in the hotel if it was rainy. We visited Downtown Disney and other resorts. We rented boats and had fluffy drinks at the Polynesian. On park days we returned at dinnertime, when crowds are a bit thinner and it's cooler outside. The parks are open late and all the parades are running. We saw the MK Spectromagic parade then waited to see Tinkerbell fly from the Castle at the beginning of the fireworks. It was AMAZING! I also think that watching the July 4th fireworks from the beach at the Polynesian was an experience I'll never forget. They were truly spectacular.

There is a real magic to being at WDW in the middle of the summer when everything is rocking. I think it can be enjoyable if you are realistic about weather and don't try to do too much. We had a wonderful time and actually saved a lot of money because of all the "freebie" things we did. My kids are 8 and 4 and they loved swimming in the OKW pool as much as visiting Epcot.

Have fun -- and remember the sunscreen!

OMGoodness! Sounds really scary that these teens are running around unsupervised (but like a previous poster said, they can't all be that way). Do they just fly in on their own unchaperoned?? When do they usually arrive??? Ugh !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter