The Flu

I didn't want the laundry to be contaminated. My husband hasn't gotten the flu. Since I've gotten sick I've stopped cooking, cleaning and doing dishes as well.
Unless you are wiping your nose on clean laundry or coughing into it, you aren't going to contaminate it.

I have never considered stopping household chores when I'm sick, especially washing clothes. You are washing and drying them. They will be clean when they come out. You can buy Lysol laundry sanitizer for extra measure if you want. You add it to the wash with regular detergent.

Washing dishes is using soap and water, so why would that be an issue?

I clean MORE when I am sick. I can't stand the thought of my germs on things.

As long as you aren't sneezing, coughing or blowing your nose all over whatever you are cleaning, it's not going to be an issue.

We all had the flu shot in early October. (Our arms were a little sore, but that was it.)

In addition to the flu vaccination, I have our kids take Elderberry during cold & flu season.

Flu started early in our area this year. And, in early December (just in time for exams), older DS came down w/ something flu-like - headache, slight fever, upper respiratory stuff, generalized achy feeling, etc. (Both he & DD commute to college.)

He felt sick for a couple of days, but fortunately for him, he was sick over a weekend. He passed along whatever he had to DD & younger DS, & DD ended up having to do one of her major end of the semester presentations while sick. (She was NOT happy w/ her brother.). Younger DS seemed to get whatever it was a bit worse than his older siblings, so I ended up calling our pediatrician. I didn’t want to take him in because of all the other stuff that’s going around. I talked to the nurse who said that it sounded like the flu but, since he had the flu shot, his case was lighter. She also told me, if I wanted to, I could bring him in & have him officially tested so we’d know for sure. I declined because, again, I didn’t want him to end up catching something else.

DH & I stayed well.

I’m wondering if they did, indeed, have the flu, but their flu vaccinations kept them for being really sick w/ it for several days. And DH & I never got it because, in addition to our flu shots, we‘re older & have more immunities built up to the various strains.

Better than zero. I prefer to have a mild case of the flu than a bad case of the flu. What bothers me is when folks around me don't get the shot. That's not cool.
My assistant refuses. Meanwhile, every student in my class is required by the state to be immunized, and I always get it as required by my allergy & asthma doctor. She has got it in her head that if she gets the shot, she will get the flu. :rolleyes: I double-checked with my own doctor who told me that the shot is not a live virus, and you cannot get the flu from the vaccine. It doesn't matter. She still refuses. Last year, when she got the flu, she got lightheaded and dizzy in the shower, fell, and gashed her foot on the metal part of her shower door. So, on top of being sick with the flu, she couldn't walk. I just can't with her sometimes.:sad2:

My assistant refuses. Meanwhile, every student in my class is required by the state to be immunized, and I always get it as required by my allergy & asthma doctor. She has got it in her head that if she gets the shot, she will get the flu. :rolleyes: I double-checked with my own doctor who told me that the shot is not a live virus, and you cannot get the flu from the vaccine. It doesn't matter. She still refuses. Last year, when she got the flu, she got lightheaded and dizzy in the shower, fell, and gashed her foot on the metal part of her shower door. So, on top of being sick with the flu, she couldn't walk. I just can't with her sometimes.:sad2:

Don't you worry about her ability to think analytically?

My brother lives in Seattle and was just in the ER and diagnosed with the flu...105 temperature and all. The moron did not get the flu shot. He gets extra dumb points because he has CAH and his endocrinologist said he should always be first in line to get the flu shot. My brother is a 28 year old giant man child. So now he has to triple his meds, plus take his shot however often til he’s over it🙄

My 2 year old son though, got the flu shot in the beginning of the season, and 2 weeks ago had a throat infection. I’ve never seen a “throat infection” cause temps to spike to 104. My son was beat red, shaking uncontrollably, couldn’t/wouldn’t eat, threw up several times....I went through a bottle of Motrin, a bottle of Tylenol, and 2 bottles of cough syrup. It took 6 days for his fever to completely go away. It was the sickest my son had ever been. Granted the dr said it was simply a throat infection, but I’d hate to see what it could have been if he hadn’t gotten the flu shot. My son is still not 100% as he still has a lingering cough.

Photo courtesy of dumb brother 😷

Attachments

• 306021C1-AB16-4319-88B2-0C7FFDE0B33E.jpeg
    306021C1-AB16-4319-88B2-0C7FFDE0B33E.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 15
My brother lives in Seattle and was just in the ER and diagnosed with the flu...105 temperature and all. The moron did not get the flu shot. He gets extra dumb points because he has CAH and his endocrinologist said he should always be first in line to get the flu shot. My brother is a 28 year old giant man child. So now he has to triple his meds, plus take his shot however often til he’s over it🙄

My 2 year old son though, got the flu shot in the beginning of the season, and 2 weeks ago had a throat infection. I’ve never seen a “throat infection” cause temps to spike to 104. My son was beat red, shaking uncontrollably, couldn’t/wouldn’t eat, threw up several times....I went through a bottle of Motrin, a bottle of Tylenol, and 2 bottles of cough syrup. It took 6 days for his fever to completely go away. It was the sickest my son had ever been. Granted the dr said it was simply a throat infection, but I’d hate to see what it could have been if he hadn’t gotten the flu shot. My son is still not 100% as he still has a lingering cough.

Photo courtesy of dumb brother 😷
You have a very large 2 year old 😆

Don't you worry about her ability to think analytically?
Fortunately I am the one responsible in the classroom, the one with the degrees who makes all of the decisions. Her job is to follow orders, which she does even though she gives me an attitude at times. I got a lot of push-back in the beginning, but she has realized that I know what I am doing and complies for the most part.

Unfortunately, people make health decisions that negatively impact those around them. That's pretty selfish.
Since you are not her physician/medical team, you have no right to make assumptions about her health decisions. People do many things that could possibly impact the people around them on a daily basis. You call it selfish, but you are not walking in her shoes to judge.

Since you are not her physician/medical team, you have no right to make assumptions about her health decisions. People do many things that could possibly impact the people around them on a daily basis. You call it selfish, but you are not walking in her shoes to judge.
We can agree to disagree.

Sure I can. I'm a very judgmental person. Just like I can judge the flat earthers. The earth is not flat.

Wow, pretty judgemental. No matter what your profession, you are still allowed to make our own health decisions.

So, I didn't get a flu shot for most of my life. Not because I was dumb enough to believe the debunked thoughts that "the flu shot would give me the flu" but because I made my own "health decision" for me not to get one. That decision, again, was not based on some outdated mode of thinking but based on my own reaction to vaccines. I balanced the risk of the shot to me against the risk of getting the flu and/or giving it to others. For many years, the risk/benefit ratio for me, was not to get one. I did get one this year as I am getting older and having other issues.

And, yes, I am thoroughly judging her for being stupid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter