The Flu

In the family, so far noone has gotten either strain of the flu. Husband has had bronchitis for several weeks though. He did get a flu shot, as he has a heart condition. At his job, a lot of employees have come down with the B strain, which is apparently a lot worse than the A. Several have ended up in the ER. I am trying to stay away from crowded spaces to lessen the chance of catching it, and /or passing it on to him. I hope that everyone who has it, recovers quickly and fully.

None that I know of. One coworker was out almost all of last week, but I don't know if it was the flu or a bad cold.

Knocking on wood, but my kids aren't hearing of other students out with influenza yet. A friend of mine just got over it, she felt pretty awful for about a week. We all got flu shots this year, but I'm not holding my breath that they will work for us, I've had bad luck with them preventing influenza in the past, and it always turned to pneumonia for me. Let's hope this year they will be effective. Hope you all stay healthy out there

So far, so good for us. We all got our flu shots so hopefully that lessens our chances. I figure if we can keep the kids from getting it, it will lower the odds of us adults getting it. Older DS and DH both have lung issues, it's scary when they get sick.

I did have to go to the urgent care the day after Christmas for an allergic reaction - I practically bathed in hand sanitizer every time I touched anything. The waiting room was FULL of flu patients. I wouldn't have gone for that very reason, but I was miserable.

I'm fairly respectful of the flu, last year a lady I went to high school with went to work feeling ok, told her supervisor she was sick and went home around noon, her husband found her dead at 6pm, it was determined to be flu related.

We have dodged both strains, but all did get a pretty bad head cold after New Year (of course mine developed into a sinus infection that won't clear so a visit to the ENT with nasal swap ensued). My kids' school was very hard hit by the flu just before Christmas break, particularly 1-3rd grades. At one point half of the teachers and 60% of the kids were out in those three grades. The school actually had a specialized cleaning company come in over the holiday. There was no difference in infection rates between vaccinated vs non-vaccinated kids.

I had it. My youngest had fevers but no flu. Oldest sore throat but no flu. A family up the block all the kids got it. Another family at school all the kids got it. It’s bad this year

So far I don't know of any.

I've had my DH get very sick last week. Was negative for the flu but ended up having pneumonia. Same with my cousin and her two kids; pneumonia with negative flu tests.

I'm sure there are people around me that must have it but I just don't know about it or they aren't saying.

This happened to my sister and her family. Her husband had a nasty upper respiratory infection (NOT flu, he was tested) around New Years which he passed to his 7 year old daughter, who developed pneumonia and a collapsed lung and spent 7 days in the hospital last week. She tested negative for flu, RSV, and bacterial pneumonia. Just a bad turn from a nasty virus.

So far, our household, no flu. Older DS was down hard for 3 days a couple weeks ago. Fever of 101-103, sore throat, cough, lots of chest gunk, etc.

I am currently on day 2 with a BAD head cold. It is all in my sinuses and it's awful. I fully expect it to turn into a sinus infection. No fever or any other flu symptoms though.

We all got flu shots, so hoping we dodge any actual flu this year. Type B was going through our city during Christmas break. I had a ton of friends on FB posting they had it.

All reports say it is hitting children the hardest this season.

This is because the particular predominant B strain circulating hasn't been around for 30 years. Kids today have NO immunity to it because they have never encountered it. Basically, anyone under 30 is at higher risk. Those over 30 likely have some natural immunity already.

Since other posters are mentioning it, I edited my earlier post to reflect that of the three people I know diagnosed with the flu right now, none of them had the flu shot, and two were children.

We all got flu shots this year, but I'm not holding my breath that they will work for us, I've had bad luck with them preventing influenza in the past, and it always turned to pneumonia for me. Let's hope this year they will be effective. Hope you all stay healthy out there
Who's to say that if you're not sick, they're not already working for you? If you're out and about in the public then there's a good chance they are!

We have dodged both strains, but all did get a pretty bad head cold after New Year (of course mine developed into a sinus infection that won't clear so a visit to the ENT with nasal swap ensued). My kids' school was very hard hit by the flu just before Christmas break, particularly 1-3rd grades. At one point half of the teachers and 60% of the kids were out in those three grades. The school actually had a specialized cleaning company come in over the holiday. There was no difference in infection rates between vaccinated vs non-vaccinated kids.
It's been pretty well established that getting a flu shot may not completely prevent you from getting the flu, BUT, chances are that if you do get the flu, symptoms will be less severe than if you had not had the shot, as a pp mentioned already. This, alone, is a reason to get the shot since flu can wreak havoc, and kill.

We all hear about people who died from the flu, but we don't often get to see what actually happens. I took care of someone who nearly died from flu, but didn't. The amount of damage to his body shocked (and saddened) even me. It strengthened my resolve to do whatever I could, for myself and my family, to prevent it, if possible. We all made a point of getting our flu shots in the fall.

My best friends family started with it the week after New Year's. Four of the five got sick. Multiple Dr visits, four urgent care runs for complications (ear and sinus infections) and two ER runs with a two night stay and home oxygen and nebulizer treatments for dad (a non-smoker and overall healthy 50 year old) who ended up with pnuemonia. He's still off work. Mom still on antibiotics for ear and sinus infections. They've had it rough. I can't even guess how much they've paid out in medical bills for all that. But a free flu shot might have saved them a lot of money.

My great nephew and most of his mother's family had it over the holidays. No shots.

My sister, bil, and two nephews had it about a week ago. Also no shots.

My best friends family started with it the week after New Year's. Four of the five got sick. Multiple Dr visits, four urgent care runs for complications (ear and sinus infections) and two ER runs with a two night stay and home oxygen and nebulizer treatments for dad (a non-smoker and overall healthy 50 year old) who ended up with pnuemonia. He's still off work. Mom still on antibiotics for ear and sinus infections. They've had it rough. I can't even guess how much they've paid out in medical bills for all that. But a free flu shot might have saved them a lot of money.

My great nephew and most of his mother's family had it over the holidays. No shots.

My sister, bil, and two nephews had it about a week ago. Also no shots.
The cost of the flu shot depends on your insurance. It is not free for everyone.

Yeah, for some reason, mine aren't "free" for me. But cheap enough I guess. Mine was billed at $20 and my insurance paid $16 of that.
Yes, I realize they are cheaper than a hospital stay, but this myth that flu shots are free for everyone needs to stop. We would pay 100% of the cost and insurance wouldn't cover any of it, beyond the possibly lowered contracted insurance rate if we had it done at a doctor's office.

None here yet though we had a respiratory infection make its way through work. I've been washing my hands like crazy and when I hear someone sneeze or cough the next aisle over I dodge them instead of going over with my "Hi, are you finding everything okay?".

After the respiratory problems I've been good. Hubs got the shot last week in prep for Disney World, I don't do injections but if I did my employer discounts them. Of course my employer's doctor couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a beanbag which I warned hubs about but his arm was out of commission for about two days after.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter