The end of tiny shampoo bottles - it ain’t just Disney!

This may be slightly OT, but do most people actually use the provided toiletries? We have never traveled without bringing our own bathing products, so this is kind of foreign to me, i guess. I dont much care what kind of shampoo is provided because i guess i always assumed the only people using them were those who legitimately forgot theirs accidentally. I've heard of people stealing them off the carts, of course, but always thought that was kind of an outlier, like people stealing straws from a fast food place or something, just a random weird thing that happens occasionally. It never occurred to me to use the provided toiletries because i guess i just prefer the products that i am used to and know work well.

All the time, especially if it's good. I bring dove soap bars because regular soap makes me itchy, but for the rest I'll use anything. I'm on the road about 25% of the time for work and I always use hotel shampoo, conditioner, etc. Lots of hotels provide higher-end stuff these days (which they probably get for cheap or even free since it's brand promotion.) I use the Neutrogena, Peter Thomas Roth, etc. from Hilton. The Salvatore Ferragamo soap and bath salt at the Waldorf is awesome! Why schlep more in luggage if it's included?

It's the same reason I avoid chain restaurants when I'm travelling. Try new things!

i just read a recent research study that showed that the air driers actually spread more bacteria and fecal matter around a bathroom than paper towels. ICK! I can't find the article right now, but I'll take another look for it and post a link.
Here's one of the articles covering that subject.
http://www.newsweek.com/hand-dryer-bacteria-feces-hands-878925
As for the pumps in the showers, I'll never use them.
I know what's in my bottles, and whom has handled them...................

This may be slightly OT, but do most people actually use the provided toiletries? We have never traveled without bringing our own bathing products, so this is kind of foreign to me, i guess. I dont much care what kind of shampoo is provided because i guess i always assumed the only people using them were those who legitimately forgot theirs accidentally. I've heard of people stealing them off the carts, of course, but always thought that was kind of an outlier, like people stealing straws from a fast food place or something, just a random weird thing that happens occasionally. It never occurred to me to use the provided toiletries because i guess i just prefer the products that i am used to and know work well.

I always use the toiletries - it saves me from packing my own, especially on flights. I do bring travel sizes of my own shampoo and conditioner, but my husband uses theirs and we both use the soap and shower gel provided by the hotel.

If I’ve used a bottle and there is some left then I may take it home to use it there, rather than it going in the trash. I don’t ever take unopened toiletries, and aside from the usual debate, I just don’t need the clutter!

i just read a recent research study that showed that the air driers actually spread more bacteria and fecal matter around a bathroom than paper towels. ICK! I can't find the article right now, but I'll take another look for it and post a link.

I have seen many studies over the last year or so about this. I never use the dryers anymore, and frankly it really annoys me when there are no towels available as a choice in a restroom. Plus the dryers are too freakin loud, they literally hurt my ears.

The dispenser debate reminds me of the camelbak water reservoir craze that swept the hiking/traveller market 10 yrs ago. Looked like a great idea until consumers realized they had to continually inspect and clean the tube system otherwise they were ingesting mold. So back to practical nalgenes and stainless steel water bottles for most. I suspect in shower dispensers will be another expensive failed experiment that guests will have to bear. Esp with WDW now offering housekeeping opt out for gift card. Those dispensers will be ignored for weeks on end and in a hot, moist (sorry Ryno!) enviro, they will get nasty sooner rather than later. Dispensers don't need to be tampered with to get bad. They will bloom in humid, dark shower stalls in the Florida heat. Inevitable.

I travel extensively for work, and many high-end hotels have the wall dispensers now. For the life of me I can't understand why people are so miffed about this!

I am actually on a work trip right now and noticed at the first hotel we were in (a Klimpton in Seattle) had the wall dispensors as well.

Personally I am fine with it but know others are worried about using something that didn’t arrive to them sealed

I never bring my own stuff and always use what is provided- not just at Disney but any hotel

I am not that particular and, um, don’t have a ton of hair to deal with though

i sometimes use the little bottles provided, but at WDW one of our first stops on the evening we arrive is the walgreens just outside the disney spring entrance where we buy shampoo/conditioner/ etc. We used to bring it all with us, but now that you can't put it in your carry on, we just pop over to walgreens and buy..

i should add that our stays at WDW are always 14 to 21 days long (except for the year we visited for 28 days and last year was 24 days), so regular size bottles of shampoo/conditioner definitely don't go to waste...

I personally have a "pet peeve" with the places that ONLY offer the hand air dryers. Most of the time they are on both ends of the LONG lines of sinks only, so the floor is always filled with water, and gets slippery - not good for somebody like me who has mobility issues, and uses a cane. And if their air dryers are like the ones in all the AMC cinemas around me, they are FIERCE - they FEEL and SOUND like the jet engine on a supersonic jet, make your skin look like your're turning into an instant skeleton, and yet do NOT dry your hands hardly at ALL. :(

Are they using the same brand of soap/shampoo that was in the little bottles?
Do they still provide lotions in the little bottles?
The National Parks hotels have had these dispensers for awhile. Their soap was pretty cheap and drying though.
It’s their H2O brand, body wash, shampoo, conditioner. No other bottles or lotions, 1 bar face soap. ( POR today)

I am all for this change for environmental reasons. I use what is in the hotel when I travel and don't really care if it is in a dispenser.

Dispensers were annoying actually. They are mounted in such a way that pressing down on them was uncomfortable for me, the dispenser itself is each a small narrow one so ur needing to push it several times to get enough product. And it’s high on the wall.
I happen to use their brand tho, so that was fine.
They should also provide the facial soap for both the shower And the sink area, which they don’t. Though you could likely ask for that.
I opted out of housekeeping .. grabbed the gift card instead, and they will refresh the towels and/or supplies as needed. And of course there are towels at pool area as well.

During my WDW trip last week, I immediately emptied the wall dispensers of the soap/shampoo/conditioner and refilled each one with Dole Whip.

Was probably a real hassle for the mousekeeping crew, but it certainly made my showers much more enjoyable.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

What struck me today while at the parks is why aren’t all the bathrooms just air hand dryers only? It’s stops there from being paper towels all over the place and it’s not wasting all that paper. The little shampoo and body wash gets used on future travel at least
A lot of epidemiologist think those air dryers spread a lot more germs than one thinks...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter