The Dress Shop on Cherry Tree Lane

If the top fits perfect, I'd either wear skimmies underneath to help with the feeling too short issue, get a crinoline to wear underneath or my last resort would be adding a ruffle. I think adding a ruffle takes away from the structure of the dress and doesn't fit with the styling at all.
Seconded. I'd add, I would keep it and wear it in fall/winter months with tights (depending on where you live).

Picture would help?

Not the most flattering photo, but best I could do with my iPhone and timer. I have recently gone from a 22 to 18. Still a ton of work to do, but I’m slowly making progress. I feel like just a little more length would make the fit of the dress look better, but I don’t know maybe it’s just not a good cut for me.

Attachments

• BF1A19BC-61E8-4D64-9DC3-9D3843188974.jpeg
    BF1A19BC-61E8-4D64-9DC3-9D3843188974.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 212
Not the most flattering photo, but best I could do with my iPhone and timer. I have recently gone from a 22 to 18. Still a ton of work to do, but I’m slowly making progress. I feel like just a little more length would make the fit of the dress look better, but I don’t know maybe it’s just not a good cut for me.
Frankly, I think you look fabulous in it!

I actually think it looks very nice on you. But dress length is something you need to be comfortable with.

Congratulations on your weight loss! I think the dress looks great on you but if you're not comfortable with the length, I'd return it. I'm 5'9 so I understand the frustration of things being too short. I also know that if I'm not comfortable with something, it'll hang in my closet and I won't wear it.

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
Frankly, I think you look fabulous in it!

I actually think it looks very nice on you. But dress length is something you need to be comfortable with.

Congratulations on your weight loss! I think the dress looks great on you but if you're not comfortable with the length, I'd return it. I'm 5'9 so I understand the frustration of things being too short. I also know that if I'm not comfortable with something, it'll hang in my closet and I won't wear it.

Thank you all for your kind words. My husband saw it last night after I took the photo and convinced me to keep it and rock it. So I’m wearing it to brunch today. Thank you again for your kind words. I now have picks of orange bird hanging up as motivation to drop another 20 lbs. My husband asked how many dresses there are and I replied with enough to keep me motivated to get where I want to be and then I can collect accessories. He just rolled his eyes.

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Thank you all for your kind words. My husband saw it last night after I took the photo and convinced me to keep it and rock it. So I’m wearing it to brunch today. Thank you again for your kind words. I now have picks of orange bird hanging up as motivation to drop another 20 lbs. My husband asked how many dresses there are and I replied with enough to keep me motivated to get where I want to be and then I can collect accessories. He just rolled his eyes.
I thought it looked great as well - but then again the length that hits right at the tops of my knees is my personal favorite! I hope you enjoy wearing it today and have a great brunch.

So with the last sale I decided to order the Tiki and Small World to celebrate going down a dress size. I am around 6’ and the Tiki dress hits me in the middle of the knee. I would prefer a little longer, but it works.

The small world dress however is above the knee and it’s just to short. I’m debating my options. What would you do?

1) Exchange it for a larger size that is longer and have it taken in. (The top fits perfect right now.)

2) Add a ruffle to the bottom of the dress in a complimentary color to add length.

3) Return it and realize that not all dresses are meant to be.

I just can’t decide what I think is best.

A larger size isn't going to help you and the cost of fitting this to you will cost more.
Adding a ruffle is an alternative but I wouldn't do it as it changes the overall appearance.
Return it, sacrilege! You bought this dress because you like how it looks and I'm sure it looks wonderful on you. Hands down it's a fun dress! So really what can you do?

As a seasoned seamstress I recommend
Removing the solid blue waistband and increase the band width similar to the Tiki Room. I don't own the Small World dress but I own several others. I assume the blue waistband measures between 1.5-2" wide. The Tiki room waistband measures a whopping 4". The best part of replacing the waistband is you can increase it to your needs without compromising the look of the dress.

Waistband Comparison
Small World / Tiki

upload_2018-7-1_0-19-32.png

With this plan, here's what it should look like...
upload_2018-7-1_0-22-39.png

The above idea could work- it would help accentuate a waist also.
Or instead of a ruffle you could add a band of ribbon that matches the color of the waistband... not a ruffle.
I’m not a seamstress, can hardly sew a button, but I think a ribbon/band the same color as the waistband would be cuter than a ruffle.

A larger size isn't going to help you and the cost of fitting this to you will cost more.
Adding a ruffle is an alternative but I wouldn't do it as it changes the overall appearance.
Return it, sacrilege! You bought this dress because you like how it looks and I'm sure it looks wonderful on you. Hands down it's a fun dress! So really what can you do?

As a seasoned seamstress I recommend
Removing the solid blue waistband and increase the band width similar to the Tiki Room. I don't own the Small World dress but I own several others. I assume the blue waistband measures between 1.5-2" wide. The Tiki room waistband measures a whopping 4". The best part of replacing the waistband is you can increase it to your needs without compromising the look of the dress.

Waistband Comparison
Small World / Tiki

View attachment 334075

With this plan, here's what it should look like...
View attachment 334076

I love this idea, and may look into this. I honestly thought this would be more difficult. I am not at all a streamstress and not always sure what can be done. Thank you.

The above idea could work- it would help accentuate a waist also.
Or instead of a ruffle you could add a band of ribbon that matches the color of the waistband... not a ruffle.
I’m not a seamstress, can hardly sew a button, but I think a ribbon/band the same color as the waistband would be cuter than a ruffle.

Thank you. I actually meant adding a ribbon in a fabric as close to the blue band I could find rather than a ruffle, but used the wrong word. I agree with you that an actual ruffle would not fit the dress style.

I found the cutest and most comfortable shoes for my dresses. Wore a pair of these retro wedge sandals for four hours yesterday at DL, lots of walking and standing and no pain. It helps that they make me put the weight on the balls of my feet, I am a person who usually puts their weight on their heels and that is when I have issues. Bait Footwear is the company.

And finally finished my dress collection (thus far). Gave the Main Street dress another whirl. Tried on the three different smalls on the suggestion on the saleslady and they were all cut slightly different, and one of them actually fit pretty well. A smidge too large but the XS that fit perfectly also was ultra tight and this was pre-lunch. Added the dormouse cardigan as it looks adorable with so many of the dresses, and waiting on UPS to deliver my 25% mailordered small world and red shrug today. Can't believe I own five dresses, three purses, matching jewelry, a cardigan and two shrugs (plus other purses/accessories/shoes not from Disney to compliment). But I've worn the orange bird and tiki dresses out and about several places, and the main street and small world dresses would be perfect for any last minute events that I need to be a bit dressier for.

Plus its fun wearing them to Disney, I always get a lot of compliments and people flagging me down begging to know where I got them. Nearly made a woman on Space Mountain cry yesterday when I told her my tiki dress could be bought here at DL. She thought it was only WDW that sold them. I hope she was able to find her size and is now loving her new dress.

This is so interesting to see. I had a similar experience with a D&B bag I bought from the ShopDisney app last year - I wrote about it here. I got them to give me a refund but they made me pay the return shipping, which I found very annoying since they're the ones who sold me the faulty merchandise.

I have heard several simular tales. If I am spending $300 on a purse, I expect it to last and for the company to back its product. I stick to Loungefly and Danielle Nicole - cuter and more varied options at a fraction of the price and no major issues I have ever heard of. And I am not gentle with my purses and my older bags still look brand new.

I don't know how I missed this and your photo but my friend, I would not alter this dress at all. You look fabulous in it as is!

I think it looks great, but I too am one that prefer dresses below my knee. I have one that hits me right at the knee that I got at Hot Topic, but some tulle sewn on the end to simulate a peeping petticoat makes it fall below the knee. Still a bit uncomfortable wearing it, even though I wear shorter shorts that cover less than that on a day to day basis with no discomfort.

I had wondered about these dresses for taller ladies. It seems like they were made for women about my height - 5'6 - and shorter waisted. Taller women or ones who are long waisted always seemed to me like they'd have issues.

I ordered this frop ShopDisney during their recent sale, price was too good to let pass.

I got the 3X and I've lost some weight recently so it's a litttttttle big on top, but not terribly so? (And you can't really tell with the shrug)

Anyway, I love it - if I have to have it taken in a little, I'll gladly do so!

Attachments

• small-world-dress.PNG
    small-world-dress.PNG
    890.2 KB · Views: 107
I ordered this frop ShopDisney during their recent sale, price was too good to let pass.

I got the 3X and I've lost some weight recently so it's a litttttttle big on top, but not terribly so? (And you can't really tell with the shrug)

Anyway, I love it - if I have to have it taken in a little, I'll gladly do so!

I can't tell...plus being able to tie it in the back helps. I also got it on the sale. I didn't save as much, 25% versus my AP of 20%, but the tax was 9.5% versus Anaheim's 7.75%. Darn you Los Angeles.

I don't know how I missed this and your photo but my friend, I would not alter this dress at all. You look fabulous in it as is!

Thank you. You are very sweet.

I think it looks great, but I too am one that prefer dresses below my knee. I have one that hits me right at the knee that I got at Hot Topic, but some tulle sewn on the end to simulate a peeping petticoat makes it fall below the knee. Still a bit uncomfortable wearing it, even though I wear shorter shorts that cover less than that on a day to day basis with no discomfort.

I had wondered about these dresses for taller ladies. It seems like they were made for women about my height - 5'6 - and shorter waisted. Taller women or ones who are long waisted always seemed to me like they'd have issues.

Thank you.

I think knowing these dresses were designed to fit below the knee is a large portion of what was throwing me off, but in reality most clothes fit everyone in a different way and it becomes what we are comfortable with. I do have the Monsters Inc dress in the size up and it is a good 3 inches longer. Either way, They are still fun dresses and I am excited to wear them this summer and on our trips. I can’t wait to see what comes out next!

I think knowing these dresses were designed to fit below the knee is a large portion of what was throwing me off, but in reality most clothes fit everyone in a different way and it becomes what we are comfortable with. I do have the Monsters Inc dress in the size up and it is a good 3 inches longer. Either way, They are still fun dresses and I am excited to wear them this summer and on our trips. I can’t wait to see what comes out next!

Really, really hoping for no new dresses that I like for a few months so my fun money account can build back up again. Its currently drained dry. I just finished buying all the dresses and various purses and accessories for each that was on my want list, and shoes to match the lot.

Really, really hoping for no new dresses that I like for a few months so my fun money account can build back up again. Its currently drained dry. I just finished buying all the dresses and various purses and accessories for each that was on my want list, and shoes to match the lot.

How fun & exciting!

At least you know you have lots of fun wardrobe options already taken care of when your account builds back up. The wedges sound like they will be really cute and comfy. So rare!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter