• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Disneyland Hotel Superthread

I would be interested in hearing about any recent experiences about how it has been getting through security and into DLR for EE. Is there still no dedicated line for EE guests to enter the park? How quickly did the security line move if you don’t have a bag? Thanks!

Was there in October. From the hotel (we were in Adventure), you could walk out the backside, through the gate and . . . right into the huge long line. Now admittedly, this was the backside of Downtown but I was amazed every morning at the crowds at Downtown Drive, several times all the way back to the parking lot on Paradise Way. And I don't mean at 0800 but rather 7:15-7:30 time frame. They'd have at least two lanes open, usually four. But bag check was crazy slow. And they kept pushing people w/o bags into that lane sometimes.

If you come in through the back, definitely allocate some extra time, especially if you want to make the first load for the mono.

I was at DLH in November 12-16th. We got to security at 6:35 one morning and line was 30+people. Second day, we were in line by 6:25 and we were 10th or so in line. By 7:00am when security opened, the line was all the way back to PP(if not further back).

I did notice each day, a few guests from DLH walk right up to security at 7:00am, and give no care to the huge line that they were cutting. I of course let them know they were cutting, but they didn’t care.

There wasn’t a specific line for “No bags” but security was fairly painless, just be early for EE😳

First day to DL enterance by 7:12, and Harbor Blvd security was already open and fully letting guests in. As I’ve read Harvor Blvd isn’t to open till 7;15am(not sure if this accuracy). Gates opened slightly before 7:30am, easy to see what/where the EE lines were. I showed cast members my hotel reservations screen. Able to get PP, Toads, Snow White and finished Alice by 8 AM. EE was located far R side by tomorrow land.

Second day at DCA, first in line by 7:09. They again opened gates slightly before 7:30 and easily signed area where to line up down “Main Street” by Grizzly RR, right before Marvel Land. Did W.S and G of G by 8 am and went to RR in Cars Land, but was closed.

Hope this helps!! Biggest thing is to get to security line by at least 6:30 (or slightly earlier)is my biggest advice, this will help you get to/through everything “first” before the masses come.

Hope this helps!! Biggest thing is to get to security line by at least 6:30 (or slightly earlier)is my biggest advice, this will help you get to/through everything “first” before the masses come.
That's super helpful. 6:25 sounds like my target time.

I'm not sure what the Harbor Schedule is currently, but when we were there in April the security fellow said 7:15 or when the first shuttle arrived from the parking lot, whichever was first. I expect that the timing is full of real-world variables. I remember being dismayed seeing the DTD side getting in line at the gates before our security line opened on Harbor. Now that the shoe will be on the other foot it's a little funny how my perspective will change. WHO HAVE I BECOME????

The whole dilemma could be solved with a handful of EE specific turnstiles, no?

Was there in October. From the hotel (we were in Adventure), you could walk out the backside, through the gate and . . . right into the huge long line. Now admittedly, this was the backside of Downtown but I was amazed every morning at the crowds at Downtown Drive, several times all the way back to the parking lot on Paradise Way. And I don't mean at 0800 but rather 7:15-7:30 time frame. They'd have at least two lanes open, usually four. But bag check was crazy slow. And they kept pushing people w/o bags into that lane sometimes.

If you come in through the back, definitely allocate some extra time, especially if you want to make the first load for the mono.
Thanks for the info. If we don’t make the first monorail, what time do you think we would make it into the park after catching the second one? With some foot issues I may be relying on the monorail to reduce some walking.

I was at DLH in November 12-16th. We got to security at 6:35 one morning and line was 30+people. Second day, we were in line by 6:25 and we were 10th or so in line. By 7:00am when security opened, the line was all the way back to PP(if not further back).

I did notice each day, a few guests from DLH walk right up to security at 7:00am, and give no care to the huge line that they were cutting. I of course let them know they were cutting, but they didn’t care.

There wasn’t a specific line for “No bags” but security was fairly painless, just be early for EE😳

First day to DL enterance by 7:12, and Harbor Blvd security was already open and fully letting guests in. As I’ve read Harvor Blvd isn’t to open till 7;15am(not sure if this accuracy). Gates opened slightly before 7:30am, easy to see what/where the EE lines were. I showed cast members my hotel reservations screen. Able to get PP, Toads, Snow White and finished Alice by 8 AM. EE was located far R side by tomorrow land.

Second day at DCA, first in line by 7:09. They again opened gates slightly before 7:30 and easily signed area where to line up down “Main Street” by Grizzly RR, right before Marvel Land. Did W.S and G of G by 8 am and went to RR in Cars Land, but was closed.

Thank you. I can’t believe people cut the line and got away with it! Grrrr

We just got home from our trip, which was capped off with a night in DLH club level (a premium view room on the 9th floor). Happy to answer any club lounge questions people might have re: food offerings, hours, etc..

Not sure what happened, but I don't trust the process they have in place for room texts. At 4, I asked the club lounge hosts for an estimate on when we'd get our room; they called and found out it was just about to be inspected, so the text would be any minute. I confirmed my phone number was correct in the system. We put ourselves on the Trader Sam's walk-up list, figuring we'd at least be able to throw our backpacks in the room before getting the notification to dine. Um no. By the time we finished drinks and food (including an allergy order that involved talking to a chef), still no text. Back to the hosts, who were able to give me a room number. We dumped our backpacks but didn't have time to call our luggage up, and half-ran to our 6:30 Oga's res. I never did get a text. My advice: don't feel bad about asking for a status update.

The room is as charming as I remember from 10 years ago, and we got our room request (for the layout with the daybed). DS reports that the daybed is far more comfortable than pullouts. Highly recommend if you have 2 kids who won't share. The view was great (pricey of course!), and the room was very spacious. Super convenient access to Downtown Disney from Adventure; we had planned to use the monorail to go back and forth a couple times, but it was feeling uncooperative about that plan. Still love love love the headboard. :)

I'm not sure we'll be back, at least as a family of 4 (two adults, two teens) for a multi-night stay. We stayed at the Home2 Suites the prior 4 nights, so the DLH's lack of modern updating/upkeep was unfortunately apparent. My issues: 1) 3 drawers are not enough storage for 4 people for more than a couple nights; won't matter to you if you are fine living out of suitcases, and those do fit under the beds easily. 2) barely enough outlets to charge 4 phones and one laptop. 2 outlets were awkwardly nowhere near furniture, just there for the lamps, and there was only one regular USB port on the single nightstand between the 2 queens. If we'd had a 3rd kid or an extra laptop, we'd have had to use the bathroom outlets to charge. 3) bathroom was just kind of sad. The door didn't close, but ok, it's an old hotel. I was startled by the poor bathroom lighting - no lighting over the shower/tub at all, and the single ceiling light by the vanity was too weak/far to help. Instead of a light, the ceiling above the shower had a hole with a copper pipe opening that once held a rainshower head? (DH's guess - but he was somewhat mortified that they just left it like that instead of covering it up). The mickey hand lights on either side of the mirror are cute but dim. If you want to do makeup, bring some of your own lighting; the makeup mirror doesn't have a light either. The plumbing sounded very rough - toilet ran nonstop, and the faucets caused a jackhammering sound if you turned them on more than a slight drizzle. I realize the hotel is old, but it's so expensive that it's harder to accept some of that sadness. YMMV, and the issues with the above would be much less apparent if you have only little kids (without makeup, piles of clothes, and their own devices to charge). The spaciousness due to lack of furniture would be GREAT with pack-n-plays and strollers, too.

I gave all that detail above with the intent to be helpful, and hopefully it's not coming across as being an overall negative experience. We really did enjoy our stay, and the DLH overall. :) We used the heck out of the lounge, sat and watched the night lights from our room, loved our Trader Sam's meal, and wandered the grounds and towers just to take it all in!

We just got home from our trip, which was capped off with a night in DLH club level (a premium view room on the 9th floor). Happy to answer any club lounge questions people might have re: food offerings, hours, etc..

Not sure what happened, but I don't trust the process they have in place for room texts. At 4, I asked the club lounge hosts for an estimate on when we'd get our room; they called and found out it was just about to be inspected, so the text would be any minute. I confirmed my phone number was correct in the system. We put ourselves on the Trader Sam's walk-up list, figuring we'd at least be able to throw our backpacks in the room before getting the notification to dine. Um no. By the time we finished drinks and food (including an allergy order that involved talking to a chef), still no text. Back to the hosts, who were able to give me a room number. We dumped our backpacks but didn't have time to call our luggage up, and half-ran to our 6:30 Oga's res. I never did get a text. My advice: don't feel bad about asking for a status update.

The room is as charming as I remember from 10 years ago, and we got our room request (for the layout with the daybed). DS reports that the daybed is far more comfortable than pullouts. Highly recommend if you have 2 kids who won't share. The view was great (pricey of course!), and the room was very spacious. Super convenient access to Downtown Disney from Adventure; we had planned to use the monorail to go back and forth a couple times, but it was feeling uncooperative about that plan. Still love love love the headboard. :)

I'm not sure we'll be back, at least as a family of 4 (two adults, two teens) for a multi-night stay. We stayed at the Home2 Suites the prior 4 nights, so the DLH's lack of modern updating/upkeep was unfortunately apparent. My issues: 1) 3 drawers are not enough storage for 4 people for more than a couple nights; won't matter to you if you are fine living out of suitcases, and those do fit under the beds easily. 2) barely enough outlets to charge 4 phones and one laptop. 2 outlets were awkwardly nowhere near furniture, just there for the lamps, and there was only one regular USB port on the single nightstand between the 2 queens. If we'd had a 3rd kid or an extra laptop, we'd have had to use the bathroom outlets to charge. 3) bathroom was just kind of sad. The door didn't close, but ok, it's an old hotel. I was startled by the poor bathroom lighting - no lighting over the shower/tub at all, and the single ceiling light by the vanity was too weak/far to help. Instead of a light, the ceiling above the shower had a hole with a copper pipe opening that once held a rainshower head? (DH's guess - but he was somewhat mortified that they just left it like that instead of covering it up). The mickey hand lights on either side of the mirror are cute but dim. If you want to do makeup, bring some of your own lighting; the makeup mirror doesn't have a light either. The plumbing sounded very rough - toilet ran nonstop, and the faucets caused a jackhammering sound if you turned them on more than a slight drizzle. I realize the hotel is old, but it's so expensive that it's harder to accept some of that sadness. YMMV, and the issues with the above would be much less apparent if you have only little kids (without makeup, piles of clothes, and their own devices to charge). The spaciousness due to lack of furniture would be GREAT with pack-n-plays and strollers, too.

I gave all that detail above with the intent to be helpful, and hopefully it's not coming across as being an overall negative experience. We really did enjoy our stay, and the DLH overall. :) We used the heck out of the lounge, sat and watched the night lights from our room, loved our Trader Sam's meal, and wandered the grounds and towers just to take it all in!
We had a similar experience at DLH Dec 9. We also had a premium concierge room. Ours was on the 10th floor, directly below the lounge. We stayed the first 3 nights at GCH in a standard room and the DLH room was a last-minute splurge as we decided one more night would be awesome.

We were just 2 adults. Our room was nice, with that huge window wall looking out at the parks and into the distance. The views were incredible and we had a wonderful time watching the fireworks and WOC. But the room wasn't really worth the price we paid and was "tired". We did have lots of USB ports, though! I didn't find much in the lounge I wanted to eat. They used to have great food options in the past but for the 2 days we used it this time, it was just basic stuff. I think concierge is great if you have a family, though, depending on how much you use it. We used to go as a family of 5 and it was well worth it, but the food was also a lot better than we had this year (I miss the homemade potato chips!). On property, I would rather stay in a standard room at GCH, but I do love DLH and will likely go back if/when they reopen Steakhouse 55.

We had a similar experience at DLH Dec 9. We also had a premium concierge room. Ours was on the 10th floor, directly below the lounge. We stayed the first 3 nights at GCH in a standard room and the DLH room was a last-minute splurge as we decided one more night would be awesome.

We were just 2 adults. Our room was nice, with that huge window wall looking out at the parks and into the distance. The views were incredible and we had a wonderful time watching the fireworks and WOC. But the room wasn't really worth the price we paid and was "tired". We did have lots of USB ports, though! I didn't find much in the lounge I wanted to eat. They used to have great food options in the past but for the 2 days we used it this time, it was just basic stuff. I think concierge is great if you have a family, though, depending on how much you use it. We used to go as a family of 5 and it was well worth it, but the food was also a lot better than we had this year (I miss the homemade potato chips!). On property, I would rather stay in a standard room at GCH, but I do love DLH and will likely go back if/when they reopen Steakhouse 55.
We really did appreciate the view (despite the dirt lot haha!). It's funny that you mentioned the food used to be better. We used the lounge every opportunity possible. The drinks were great for us. Kids had all the soda they wanted, I had wine and mimosas, DH had espresso and coffee. The snack time options were not great - it was nice that they had gf friendly bars for DH, but my kids don't want crudites mid-afternoon. Why not cheese and crackers, you know? It seemed like a mix of things that either no one wanted or were more appealing to little kids (uncrustables, goldfish crackers, bland cookies). The happy hour with appetizers was by far the best - I really liked what I had. Dessert was just... weird. Nothing little kid friendly, just all those pretty looking gelatin-set little things that weren't even well-made (would have chewy little gelatin bits every now and then). My teens thought the desserts were bad, aside from the little donuts; this is saying something, b/c one of them has a major sweet tooth and will eat practically any dessert. I thought they were prettier-looking than tasting, for sure. Breakfast food was, sadly, worse than the Home2 Suites included breakfast, for us. The pastries were mass-market things you get at grocery stores and other hotels; no hot things like eggs, meats, or potatoes. I did like the chia seed pudding, but we missed out on the protein options that Home2 had.

I forgot to mention that when we were there the 9th, we each got one of these chocolate packs on our pillows, which was really cool:
20221231_181849.jpg

EDIT: PLEASE IGNORE ME LOL, wrong thread :)

I'm not sure why I'm so overwhelmed with hotels, I really don't know where to stay this time! We're going in March. Keep in mind that we're Canadian, so cooler weather won't take us away from pools/waterpark :) I currently have 3 hotels booked, but each one has really good and really bad reviews. Looking for some advice. They are all approximately the same price (within $300 over 9 days). We are a family of 3 - two adults, one 9 y/o and will have a rental car for 2-3 nights (not on planned park days).
  1. Residence Inn by Marriott Anaheim Resort Area/Garden Grove, 1 bedroom suite (king bed in bedroom, sofabed in living room) (we stayed here 5 years ago and we're happy with it).
    1. Pros: Nice, but basic pool; good breakfast. Near restaurants and shopping. Spacious room w/kitchen.
    2. Cons: not close walking distance, ART not always on schedule, parking extra
  2. Cambria Hotel Anaheim Resort Area (2 queen room)
    1. Pros: breakfast and has water park for non-park days.
    2. Cons: Smaller room, not walking distance, parking extra
  3. Howard Johnson by Wyndham Anaheim Hotel & Water Playground (2 Double Beds, Economy Room, Buildings 3-6)
    1. Pros: water park, walking distance from the parks
    2. Cons: I'm hearing the rooms in the older buildings are not good and dirty, no breakfast included, parking extra
Does anyone have any advice? I'm leaning towards the Howard Johnson because of the convenience factor - now that my son is older I think we'd benefit from taking a break in the middle of the day and going back to stay until close, but I'm pretty concerned about the state of the rooms in buildings 3-6 based on reviews. Also obviously I'd prefer breakfast be included but with a fridge in the room, we can easily have something in our room before heading to the parks.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why I'm so overwhelmed with hotels, I really don't know where to stay this time! We're going in March. Keep in mind that we're Canadian, so cooler weather won't takes us away from pools/waterpark :) I currently have 3 hotels booked, but each one has really good and really bad reviews. Looking for some advice. They are all approximately the same price (within $300 over 9 days). We are a family of 3 - two adults, one 9 y/o and will have a rental car for 2-3 nights (not on planned park days).
  1. Residence Inn by Marriott Anaheim Resort Area/Garden Grove, 1 bedroom suite (king bed in bedroom, sofabed in living room) (we stayed here 5 years ago and we're happy with it).
    1. Pros: Nice, but basic pool; good breakfast. Near restaurants and shopping. Spacious room w/kitchen.
    2. Cons: not close walking distance, ART not always on schedule, parking extra
  2. Cambria Hotel Anaheim Resort Area (2 queen room)
    1. Pros: breakfast and has water park for non-park days.
    2. Cons: Smaller room, not walking distance, parking extra
  3. Howard Johnson by Wyndham Anaheim Hotel & Water Playground (2 Double Beds, Economy Room, Buildings 3-6)
    1. Pros: water park, walking distance from the parks
    2. Cons: I'm hearing the rooms in the older buildings are not good and dirty, no breakfast included, parking extra
Does anyone have any advice? I'm leaning towards the Howard Johnson because of the convenience factor - now that my son is older I think we'd benefit from taking a break in the middle of the day and going back to stay until close, but I'm pretty concerned about the state of the rooms in buildings 3-6 based on reviews. Also obviously I'd prefer breakfast be included but with a fridge in the room, we can easily have something in our room before heading to the parks.
Hi there!
This thread is specific to the on-property Disneyland Hotel. You might get better response by starting a new thread with your questions. :)
I've not stayed in any of your listed hotels, so I'm no help. LOL

Hi there!
This thread is specific to the on-property Disneyland Hotel. You might get better response by starting a new thread with your questions. :)
I've not stayed in any of your listed hotels, so I'm no help. LOL
I just realized that! I thought it meant all hotels in the area :)

Just checked out today after a 3 night stay. Booked deluxe view thru Costco, added a request for fantasy tower at that time. Did online check in when it opened (a week prior?) and saw that it had the request noted. We arrived late and got our room assignment sent to the app around 4 pm, we got to the hotel around 7:30 and went straight to the room and used my phone to unlock the door. First time at a hotel never speaking to the front desk.

The room was beautiful, had the best mouse keeper who gave us lots of extra cocoa and H2O toiletries. I have a very sensitive back and I slept like a baby with no back pain. Shower had hot water and good pressure and we got a nice pool view in the Fantasy Tower. Not sure what people are complaining about. It’s been a few trips since we stayed on site and it was lovely.

Dinner at goofys kitchen was good, hasn’t changed much over the years except less characters. We got good interactions considering it was me and my almost 19 year old :)

Late lunch at Tangaroa terrace was meh. Cold gyoza and chicken rice bowls were lifeless, only the broccoli was cooked well. The non alcoholic drinks were good!

Coffee house chocolate croissant and the chia bowl were both delish, and easy to do if you aren’t rope dropping. In theory you could get both the day before and have on hand in your room.

Overall, it was a lovely stay. We’ll be back I am sure.

The room was beautiful, had the best mouse keeper who gave us lots of extra cocoa and H2O toiletries.

Are they still using the travel sized toiletries at DLH or are there the mutli-use dispensers in the shower?

When we were at GCV in March 2022, there were still the small ones and I was SO happy to see them there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter