• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Disneyland Hotel Superthread

Sorry to hear about your bad experience! We will be there in 30 days for a surprise trip. I hope it is in better condition then. I am more concerned about you bad experience on DL Express. We are taking DLE from LAX and I don't want to use anything else because the DL design on the bus is the first time the surprise will be revealed.

What is this? I have looked to try to find out what the transportation options are from LAX to DLR, but I have found nothing until now. You may have just saved DH's sanity. Thanks so much for any info on DL Express.

Follow up - we arrived into LAX yesterday. It is crazy busy. We missed the DL Express bus so we had to wait another 30
Minutes. There are guys in vans that say Disneland Express. They are really persistent. The big bus was great. Smooth ride and our hotel was the first stop.

Follow up - we arrived into LAX yesterday. It is crazy busy. We missed the DL Express bus so we had to wait another 30
Minutes. There are guys in vans that say Disneland Express. They are really persistent. The big bus was great. Smooth ride and our hotel was the first stop.

So how do I sign us up for the DL Express bus? What does it cost? I really can't find any information anywhere else about this.

Thanks

? About views & requests:

In the "olden" days of DLH, when we made our reservations for a regular room, you could pay extra for a premium view or just have a standard view. The premium view was either of the pool or DTD/park and the standard was parking lots mostly. You could always add a request a specific view/tower but were never guaranteed a darn thing, not even a sofa bed. 9 times out of 10 people didn't get the DTD view. There just are not that many rooms with that view. If you paid for a premium view, you might end up in the far tower and have peeks of the park past the Adventure tower and people were not thrilled with that either but they had a pool view and couldn't complain. You could also end up looking over the pool from a few standard low level rooms so lots of people knew to request that to avoid a parking lot view or they asked for high floors in the check in tower to see the fireworks over the parking lot as a bonus for a standard view.

Now that all the construction is complete, I booked yesterday and saw there are more categories of views to choose from and pay extra in increments. The premium view is still listed as a upper level with view of pool or DTD/park but now you can also pick resort/pool view lowel level along with the standard view.

The premium view was a lot more, the medium view was only a little more than the standard so I picked the medium one. I called today to add my requests since I did the booking online and the CM said that I was assured a DTD or CA view! I really only wanted to make sure we got a sofa bed but thought if I was calling I would also request the Adventure Tower to be closer (if you've read my "boot" issue post.)

So does anyone have any insight on where they put you if you pay for the "medium" upgrade because I don't think the CM is right telling me that it's guaranteed to get some kind of park view. I'm almost positive the form said resort/pool view. We used to have some CMs on here to give us tips, do we still?

Also what are the odds of NOT getting the sofa bed if we have 5 in the room but one is a 2 year old? We have always gotten our "requests" but it meant driving down the night before and staying at another hotel just to get up early and check in first thing in the morning. I don't really want to do that but we will if it seems necessary to get a "good" room that we'll be in for 4 nights! We had to do that to get the CGH sofa bed room and got the last one available checking in at 8am.

I am so excited to be returning to DLH with the construction complete. We have been at the CGH the last few trips and the kids love it but it's time to try something new and fresh and DLH has always been my favorite.

? About views & requests:

In the "olden" days of DLH, when we made our reservations for a regular room, you could pay extra for a premium view or just have a standard view. The premium view was either of the pool or DTD/park and the standard was parking lots mostly. You could always add a request a specific view/tower but were never guaranteed a darn thing, not even a sofa bed. 9 times out of 10 people didn't get the DTD view. There just are not that many rooms with that view. If you paid for a premium view, you might end up in the far tower and have peeks of the park past the Adventure tower and people were not thrilled with that either but they had a pool view and couldn't complain. You could also end up looking over the pool from a few standard low level rooms so lots of people knew to request that to avoid a parking lot view or they asked for high floors in the check in tower to see the fireworks over the parking lot as a bonus for a standard view.

Now that all the construction is complete, I booked yesterday and saw there are more categories of views to choose from and pay extra in increments. The premium view is still listed as a upper level with view of pool or DTD/park but now you can also pick resort/pool view lowel level along with the standard view.

The premium view was a lot more, the medium view was only a little more than the standard so I picked the medium one. I called today to add my requests since I did the booking online and the CM said that I was assured a DTD or CA view! I really only wanted to make sure we got a sofa bed but thought if I was calling I would also request the Adventure Tower to be closer (if you've read my "boot" issue post.)

So does anyone have any insight on where they put you if you pay for the "medium" upgrade because I don't think the CM is right telling me that it's guaranteed to get some kind of park view. I'm almost positive the form said resort/pool view. We used to have some CMs on here to give us tips, do we still?

Also what are the odds of NOT getting the sofa bed if we have 5 in the room but one is a 2 year old? We have always gotten our "requests" but it meant driving down the night before and staying at another hotel just to get up early and check in first thing in the morning. I don't really want to do that but we will if it seems necessary to get a "good" room that we'll be in for 4 nights! We had to do that to get the CGH sofa bed room and got the last one available checking in at 8am.

I am so excited to be returning to DLH with the construction complete. We have been at the CGH the last few trips and the kids love it but it's time to try something new and fresh and DLH has always been my favorite.

From when I made our reservation:

They didn't call the levels of room: "pool/resort" view, etc. They said Standard, (Deluxe?), Premium and then concierge. I double asked the CM.

Also, room categories are based on whether you are on upper or lower floors. NOT the actual view. They don't guarantee a pool, DTD or resort view at all.

The category one step above standard (I think it was deluxe) is on the lower floors - up to or including the 6th floor. Premium is 6th floor and/or above.

This means you could be in a higher level, Premium room and STILL see a parking lot. He admitted it to me when I questioned him.

Sounds like we got different info. I have no idea what we are getting now. ??? We go in May.

Yes Rhonna, It has always been so confusing. The problem is that all the rooms are not alike. Some are much bigger with double sinks in the bathroom with a door to the toilet and plenty of room for the sofa and a table and chairs. Some bathrooms are pretty tiny and have the vanity outside the toilet/tub area. I just now found out that some rooms have sleeper "chairs" not sofa beds and are much smaller than I have seen so asking for a sofa bed is still no way to guarantee getting one of the bigger rooms. I need a lot of room, a big room more than I care about the view-lol. The biggest room I had (other than a suite) overlooked the waterfall and was a lot bigger than any room we had in adventure tower but I've seen pics of TINY rooms with 2 beds and no chair or table because the bed ends at the window!

We have stayed many times and it's always been "no guarantees" but I've never paid for premium view and got stuck overlooking either parking lot. You either overlook the pool or face DTD, not the parking lot. I found some more info and the rate we paid is lower level view of either the pool or resort(ie. DTD) on floors 3-6.

I wish you could just book adventure tower, dtd view and pay for it but there are just not many of those rooms. To be fair, we have often gotten our request and once even got upgraded to a suite and a few times our standard room had a great view of the grounds. When we check, in most times they don't give us our room number if the room isn't ready even though they do assign it and when we got bumped up to the suite I found out why. Someone else must have complained and ended up getting our DTD view after it was promised to us and we ended up with the pool view. The CM checking us in had told me the room number and when we came back late from the park, it had changed. I was sad but couldn't complain too much when they were giving me a suite. Oh, and you can't bribe them with cash either for a better room!

In essence, the earlier you are there, the more rooms they have to work with to make you happy. Someone years ago told me that they assign your room a few days ahead of your arrival but I never saw anything to prove that's true and it always seems like they are "looking" for a room when we check in. I was also told you could check in by phone on the way there but tried that at both DLH and GCH and they said no.

I really do think it depends on when you check in so I just decided to drive down a day early and spend the night at BWPPI so we can check in early at DLH. I will be going back to the hotel for the key as soon as the room is ready instead of waiting until the park closes so they don't give my room to a later arrival who is unhappy with his room-lol. If they don't call me around 4 or so, I will call them to get the key. They always say they'll call but only once have they called me and it's so easy to lose track of time at DL.

I guess it's just the luck of the draw and believe me, the time we got the suite, I wished we were in Vegas instead-lol!

Sorry I did not respond yesterday to the DLE question. As said above by sf, the DLRE is a big tour bus. I wouldn't get on the vans that say disneyland express. The guy pulled up in this van and tried convincing us to get in. The van was packed with people and I saw him twice drive by. Get the coupon that the Anaheim visitor site has. I can't get the link right now, but google search should have it. It was very seamless. You board the bus and pay as you get off. DL hotel is the first stop.

Just returned yesterday from our Disneyland Hotel stay. I must say the rennovations are simply beautiful! We had stayed at the DLH last summer and were extremely disappointed. I was so very pleased to see things back up to a Disney standard. We had an 8th floor DTD view room with 2 Queens and a day bed connecting to a king bed room. The rooms were fabulous. We also loved the grounds. We kept finding ourselves at Trader Sam's at night under the tiki torches for a nightcap. My love affair with this hotel has been renewed. :hippie:
A few notes for people looking for an update. * They were still actively working on the monorail slide repair *It still looks like they are lacking chandeliers in the lobby

A few notes for people looking for an update. * They were still actively working on the monorail slide repair *

I thought the slides were completely done. Did something happen already that it needs a repair? I missed that one.

I got married at the GCH last Thursday and stayed at DLH 12/7-12/11. Slides were down the whole time, but we had plenty else happening to keep us busy. Loved the renovations. The headboard was awesome. Great Service. Also loved the fire pit out by Trader Sam's. Fantastic experience.

Okay, that was succinct, lol. Can you give anymore info?

Sadly the new slides are having rust problems already, so they have closed them to fix the issue.

We are going to be there starting on Dec 19 through to Dec 27, for not only a family vacation, but our wedding on the grounds of the DLH, I am hoping they will have fixed the problem by then. We are staying in a 3 room suite and I was really looking forward to all of us having a blast at the pool lol

However there are the other pools, and I know that we will enjoy it regardless.

Sadly the new slides are having rust problems already, so they have closed them to fix the issue.

Oh man, who didn't do their research when they chose the materials, design, etc.? Good grief they JUST opened them! I certainly hope they are able to do a real fix soon and it doesn't keep happening.

Thought everyone would be interested in a quick renovations update. I'm not going to link here (because I'm not sure I'm allowed to link to a different Disney blog) but anyone interested in renovations updates should check out Al Lutz's column today.

According to him, the hotel didn't make their Nov finish deadline, so they pulled back on construction through the busy holiday season. It sounds like all that is left to complete are finishing touches (including chandeliers, artwork and hotel employee uniforms, etc.) and that all these details will be finished in January after the busy holiday season.

We'll be swinging through Anaheim during the Christmas week to take some update photos of the hotel. If you have any requests, please let me know here on the board in the next few days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter