The Disney Wish, what are you wishing for?

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but I thought the announcements were available on the information channel on the TV as well as the hallway speakers? Maybe have that channel as a preset memory on the remote you can just press and take you there. I would say have the TV automatically switch or display it like EBS but that would be problematic for folks that don't want to hear the optional announcements.

I thought they used to, but the last 4 cruises we have missed most announcements on the Fantasy because you can't hear them at all. We searched every TV channel and couldn't find it.

I thought it was crazy what RCCL did with the island as far as charging but then I was speaking with an officer onboard a Royal cruise and he mentioned the reason is they didn't want everything to have an hour wait to get to use it. If they offered some options as an upcharge it would control the crowds. Still plenty which is included.

Funny how these “we have to control crowds somehow!” solutions always seem to put more money in the theme park’s or cruise line’s pocket.

Funny how these solutions always skew toward higher-income people who, in addition to being able to pay these up-charges, probably spend more per-capita than what the “average” guest spends.

Just sayin’.

I thought they used to, but the last 4 cruises we have missed most announcements on the Fantasy because you can't hear them at all. We searched every TV channel and couldn't find it.

They had it on the Dream this summer - channel 1 maybe? I seem to remember something on the tv frame that said as much.

Funny how these “we have to control crowds somehow!” solutions always seem to put more money in the theme park’s or cruise line’s pocket.

Funny how these solutions always skew toward higher-income people who, in addition to being able to pay these up-charges, probably spend more per-capita than what the “average” guest spends.

Just sayin’.

Agreed

I have not completed my first Disney cruise yet. My first is booked for December this year. But I find these boards fascinating.

Personally, put me on the side of NOT wanting tons and tons of electronic gadgets and gizmos while on vacation. I don’t mind thoughtful integration of some technology to facilitate ease, but nothing is more frustrating to me in our world today than paying for convenience of “helpful” technology only to have it mess up. I never had a room key malfunction until they “upgraded” to cards/bands/phones, etc. put key in lock, turn, open. No, I’m not suggesting returning to that. I am simply stating that technology is fine when it works— not so fine when it doesn’t.

In that vein, newer isn’t always better. I’d love to see more classic Disney represented. I think a forest themed restaurant would be so cool. Bambi characters could be seen running through on the walls or maybe the dwarves? Even Sleeping Beauty has a time away from the castle in the forest, and Merida ... forest. So many options that they could change up the entertainment more often or offer different things on different ships. (I know they have a garden one now, but I do not consider forest and garden interchangeable.). I’d love an immersive forest Disney experience.

Robin Hood themed and it could be called Sherwood Forest.

MJ

Not so much related to new ships but DCL in general, offer better perks for platinum cruisers, or designate another level beyond platinum (maybe for 20+ cruises) that offers something useful instead of more plastic junk to collect or a box of chocolates. I would love some free laundry service, even if limited to 1 bag per passenger, 2 on >7 nights.
DCL's most loyal customers would still be feeling appreciated without having a collection of 5 backpacks at home. Give guests a choice of the trinket, free laundry or free internet.
Don't forget all of us who still loved DCL when our only choice was the Magic & Wonder.
:lovestruc:sail:

We all will get old some day or hope we will live that long. DCL needs to do more for older guests. Like the tub in the staterooms good for kids but not for older guests. They could have some rooms with and some rooms without a tub.
I agree. My wife has a hard time climbing over the edge of the tub to take a shower. We have stayed in a HA room with roll-in shower. She has had one hip replaced and will need to do the other. Once that is done, I still think she might have problems with the shower, but if they had walk in showers in some rooms, we wouldn't need a full HA room.

Not so much related to new ships but DCL in general, offer better perks for platinum cruisers, or designate another level beyond platinum (maybe for 20+ cruises) that offers something useful instead of more plastic junk to collect or a box of chocolates. I would love some free laundry service, even if limited to 1 bag per passenger, 2 on >7 nights.
DCL's most loyal customers would still be feeling appreciated without having a collection of 5 backpacks at home. Give guests a choice of the trinket, free laundry or free internet.

I would love to see that, too. Especially the free laundry service; that’s a great idea.

But unless/until they start having a hard time filling ships, and they need to start luring people back (yet without explicitly lowering fares), I don’t expect CC to be enhanced in any meaningful way.

Last edited:
That would be nice but I don't know how much of a technical challenge it might be. They'd have to have the equipment on board to do the captioning since while most announcements are generic and could be canned, some are on the fly like changes brought on by weather, etc...
Before they broadcast it, they type it up and include it on the televisions. Understand that the words on the screen aren't going to match the ad lib that will occur when the Cruise Director is getting people psyched up for Bingo, but it would be appreciated.

Example of scrolling text:

Message from the Cruise Director: Bingo starts at 4pm. Weather is 80 Degrees and sunny. Music trivia in Fathoms at 3pm. Aladdin will show in the Walt Disney Theater at 530.

Message from Captain: Strong winds will keep us from docking at Castaway until estimated 1200.

Don't forget all of us who still loved DCL when our only choice was the Magic & Wonder.
Great ideas. I would also like them to bring back the Gold and Platinum on-board reception for cruises less than 8 days. It was one of those small perks that didn't cost DCL much to put on but many enjoyed it.

Exactly - RCCL has a list of options to choose as perks based on the level of Crown and Member. So people can choose their own gift per say instead of having a ton of bags.

And the new level would get to book cruises 1 day before platinum? and would get to book port excursions a day or two before platinums also?

Room sizes equivalent to the Magic/Wonder. Dream and Fantasy staterooms are much narrower and it is noticeable to me.

Keep Remy, Midship Detective Game, Cove Cafe, Satellite Falls. No over-the-top activities like go-carts or rock climbing walls. Better gym layout than that on Dream/Fantasy. Keep the style of the adult-only pool (i.e., seating in the pool and shallow area with the stools near the bar) but move the hot tubs back to around the pool instead of isolated off to the side.

Not really a feature of the ship, but itineraries outside of the Caribbean like Asia or Australia.

• A huge water play structure instead of a kids pool - no worrying about drowning and more things to do. Moana themed
  • A frozen themed restaurant similar to the t- rex at Disney Springs.
  • Disneyquest interactive play area for entire family - my son is 18 and has Autism cant go to kids clubs but loves interactive play - he is mentally mature more like a 12 year old so this would be awesome, he loved Disneyquest.
  • Escape room Disney themes - like tha case of the missing dalmatians
  • Laser tag like through a jungle (Tarzan)
  • Paint and pottery - all Disney character of course - small charge like $5
  • A Disney bakery like you would find on Main street - complimentary
  • A specialty restaurant like sci fi dine in where you sit in cars and watch old Disney tv
  • A fun house type dark ride like Alice in Wonderland - this would be so cool.
  • A tobaggan type slide/ride that takes you from top deck to middle deck like kids clubs and movie theatre. Actually so cool if multiple plain old slides that could get you from one deck to another - I would skip the elevator.
  • CoCo inspired restaurant maybe quick grab for Mexican food. Quesadillas, Tacos, burritos, nachos and margaritas (Dole whips)
  • A Mickeys backyard BBQ on a top deck under big palm trees and canopies in shade serving BBQ items and at night faux log chairs to sit on while listening to stories or sing alongs by Chip and Dale (Fort Wilderness has this)
  • Hibachi - Mulan inspired
I love these ideas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter