The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

Very proud of you! This is a big deal and you have done so much with your RN career since you became a RN!!
I know how hard it is to do this especially at “um” our age lol 😆
I have been an RN for longer than I care to say and as I wind down my career yours is just starting with new adventures!
I hope to use my Master’s degree for online work soon as I decrease and eventually retire from my current RN position!
I’m not a NP mine is in education!
I hope we can get together on a vacation one of these years! We can drink to our nursing careers! I have done so much as an RN in my many years!

B is for: Birds, Billy the Kid, and a Boutique Bed and Breakfast-

The road was long and winding, and I took very, very few photos of our drive from Gallup to Las Cruces. In fact, I took exactly 2. I can say despite our rough morning the route we chose was quite lovely. As usual, I took us off of the quickest, most direct route and skirted us back through Arizona and the Gila National Forest. I didn’t realize it was an extremely twisty, mountain road with a lot of slower pickups in the area for hunting season that was just kicking off. We made a lunch stop in Alpine, Arizona, a very small village set among the pines that consisted of a gas station/better-than-average convenience store that happened to also make fresh subs and burgers. Zach ordered us a sub and it was HUGE, which we easily split and still threw a bit away. Our little picnic respite was nice under a clear sky and perfect temps with a view of this old building that I’m guessing was a hotel or school at some point.

By day’s end, we’d clocked over 7 hours of driving/rest time and 382 miles.

Dejected and hungry, we arrived at our stop for the night- a gorgeous boutique Bed and Breakfast. Described as a “one hundred-year-old restored Mexican territorial inn”, we were welcomed by our lovely hostess, Linda Lundeen, Proprietor of Lundeen Inn of the Arts. She was warm, and kind, and incredibly attentive to our somewhat mixed-up and delayed arrival. We pulled into Las Cruces well after dark and the house is a bit off the beaten path tucked away in a quiet neighborhood that Google didn’t appreciate. After several frustrating phone calls, Linda managed to guide us in, and she could tell we were weary travelers in need of good food and comfy beds. As she got us all checked-in and told us breakfast was a 8:30, she listened to our story of the lost rugs. She encouraged me to file a police report and maybe check with my auto or home owner’s insurance to see if there might be something that could be done to at least recover the cost. I had already done that. Somewhere along the road between Gallup and Las Cruces, I’d called the police and explained what had happened and they said they’d keep an eye out. That was all I could do. Hope and pray.

Should you be interested, here is the website for Linda’s lovely home that is rich with art all over the walls covering 2 stories. Interestingly, it's not only the art that makes this home stand apart. Her recently deceased husband studied under Frank Lloyd Wright and you can see elements of that architecture infused into this home.

https://www.innofthearts.com/

Prior to the trip, my parents recommended the La Posta, an historic restaurant in Old Town Las Cruces. Linda, who has long-standing, deep roots in Tucson, called ahead for us and made us a reservation after confirming it was open as late as we’d be there. I think by the time we drove there, found it, parked, and checked-in, it was well after 9:00. La Posta is… well, it’s a hopping place!

(With year-round luminarias!)

The cacophony of squawking parrots, the clanking of dishes being served, and the laughter and chatter of the many guests still dining was loud and clear in the lobby. We were immediately taken to a very nice table in a room somewhat likening Encanto and were given the very extensive food menu- of which I was only mildly interested in compared to the margarita one… considering the day we’d had.

1648859007179.png

I wish I’d remembered what I'd ordered, but here she is in all her boozy glory. Knowing my margarita-loving self, it was the Classico Grande because Grand Marnier makes ALL margs better. However, when I look at this menu again, next time, should there be one, and since I have to go home from AZ soon, there very well may be, I would order the Damiana and Daiseys. I think Zach ha dthe Chili Rita, but I can’t be 100% sure.

By the time our margs came, we’d each decided on a very light dinner- Z chose a bowl of Pozole Soup and I went with a single pork tamale with red sauce. True to New Mexican food, this was SPICY and very delicious!!

While we waited for our food to arrive, I took a few more photos of the restaurant. Such fun! Anxious to get to bed, we didn’t linger long over our small meals.

(Yes, those actually ARE piranhas.)

(These are NOT piranhas. ;) )

Back at the Inn, I took a few photos of our incredible room which had tons of space as well as a kitchenette. We didn’t really need either, but truly, this was the best place we’d stayed in since Tammie’s amazing home in Klamath Falls…. Partly because it included a scrumptious breakfast! I woke up early around 7:30 or so and went downstairs to wander the house and rooms of galleries. I poured a cup of coffee that Linda had ready and browsed around the home. Several pieces caught my eye, but without having moved into my portion of my new Bowling Green home, I didn’t know if there would really even be any room for wall art beyond what I had brought. So, no purchases but plenty of admiring.

(Entrance by night...)

(Entrance by day...)

Soon she called Zach and I and the other guests (only a couple who were staying a couple of weeks) to the table and we enjoyed some light conversation. I don’t remember what she served, but it was yummy and filling and held us until lunch that day. We packed the car (carefully) and I went back in to toss some trash from the car and say one last good bye. As I approached the car, Zach was excitedly talking on my phone that he’d answered and was frantically motioning me to come back to the car quickly. He handed me the phone and it miraculously was the Gallup Police Department telling us a good Samaritan had turned in the rugs and they’d be delighted to ship them to us. That’s when it dawned on me that we probably should have had them shipped from Hubbel’s in the first place. The process was not an easy one as they took them to the local UPS Store and I had to call them with payment information, yadda, yadda, yadda…. In the end, our rugs were on their way the following Monday with tracking. I couldn’t believe it. Truly, it was a huge miracle and I nearly cried with relief. I asked the clerk if she’d be able to give me the name of the person who turned them in and she told me her boss said it was okay, but I never heard back. I was willing to pay some reward money for their kindness and honesty. Whoever they were, I wish them well.

Last edited:
B is for: Birds, Billy the Kid, and a Boutique Bed and Breakfast-

The road was long and winding, and I took very, very few photos of our drive from Gallup to Las Cruces. In fact, I took exactly 2. I can say despite our rough morning the route we chose was quite lovely. As usual, I took us off of the quickest, most direct route and skirted us back through Arizona and the Gila National Forest. I didn’t realize it was an extremely twisty, mountain road with a lot of slower pickups in the area for hunting season that was just kicking off. We made a lunch stop in Alpine, Arizona, a very small village set among the pines that consisted of a gas station/better-than-average convenience store that happened to also make fresh subs and burgers. Zach ordered us a sub and it was HUGE, which we easily split and still threw a bit away. Our little picnic respite was nice under a clear sky and perfect temps with a view of this old building that I’m guessing was a hotel or school at some point.

Dejected and hungry, we arrived at our stop for the night- a gorgeous boutique Bed and Breakfast. Described as a “one hundred-year-old restored Mexican territorial inn”, we were welcomed by our lovely hostess, Linda Lundeen, Proprietor of Lundeen Inn of the Arts. She was warm, and kind, and incredibly attentive to our somewhat mixed-up and delayed arrival. We pulled into Las Cruces well after dark and the house is a bit off the beaten path tucked away in a quiet neighborhood that Google didn’t appreciate. After several frustrating phone calls, Linda managed to guide us in, and she could tell we were weary travelers in need of good food and comfy beds. As she got us all checked-in and told us breakfast was a 8:30, she listened to our story of the lost rugs. She encouraged me to file a police report and maybe check with my auto or home owner’s insurance to see if there might be something that could be done to at least recover the cost. I had already done that. Somewhere along the road between Gallup and Las Cruces, I’d called the police and explained what had happened and they said they’d keep an eye out. That was all I could do. Hope and pray.

Should you be interested, here is the website for Linda’s lovely home that is rich with art all over the walls covering 2 stories. Interestingly, it's not only the art that makes this home stand apart. Her recently deceased husband studies under Frank Lloyd Wright and you can see elements of that architecture infused into this home.

https://www.innofthearts.com/

Prior to the trip, my parents recommended the La Posta, an historic restaurant in Old Town Tucson. Linda, who has long-standing, deep roots in Tucson, called ahead for us and made us a reservation after confirming it was open as late as we’d be there. I think by the time we drove there, found it, parked, and checked-in, it was well after 9:00. La Posta is… well, it’s a hopping place!

(With year-round luminarias!)

The cacophony of squawking parrots, the clanking of dishes being served, and the laughter and chatter of the many guests still dining was loud and clear in the lobby. We were immediately taken to a very nice table in a room somewhat likening Encanto and were given the very extensive food menu- of which I was only mildly interested in compared to the margarita one… considering the day we’d had.

I wish I’d remembered what I'd ordered, but here she is in all her boozy glory. Knowing my margarita-loving self, it was the Classico Grande because Grand Marnier makes ALL margs better. However, when I look at this menu again, next time, should there be one, and since I have to go home from AZ soon, there very well may be, I would order the Damiana and Daiseys. I think Zach ha dthe Chili Rita, but I can’t be 100% sure.

By the time our margs came, we’d each decided on a very light dinner- Z chose a bowl of Pozole Soup and I went with a single pork tamale with red sauce. True to New Mexican food, this was SPICY and very delicious!!

While we waited for our food to arrive, I took a few more photos of the restaurant. Such fun! Anxious to get to bed, we didn’t linger long over our small meals.

Back at the Inn, I took a few photos of our incredible room which had tons of space as well as a kitchenette. We didn’t really need either, but truly, this was the best place we’d stayed in since Tammie’s amazing home in Klamath Falls…. Partly because it included a scrumptious breakfast! I woke up early around 7:30 or so and went downstairs to wander the house and rooms of galleries. I poured a cup of coffee that Linda had ready and browsed around the home. Several pieces caught my eye, but without having moved into my portion of my new Bowling Green home, I didn’t know if there would really even be any room for wall art beyond what I had brought. So, no purchases but plenty of admiring.

(Entrance by night...)

(Entrance by day...)

Soon she called Zach and I and the other guests (only a couple who were staying a couple of weeks) to the table and we enjoyed some light conversation. I don’t remember what she served, but it was yummy and filling and held us until lunch that day. We packed the car (carefully) and I went back in to toss some trash from the car and say one last good bye. As I approached the car, Zach was excitedly talking on my phone that he’d answered and was frantically motioning me to come back to the car quickly. He handed me the phone and it miraculously was the Gallup Police Department telling us a good Samaritan had turned in the rugs and they’d be delighted to ship them to us. That’s when it dawned on me that we probably should have had them shipped from Hubbel’s in the first place. The process was not an easy one as they took them to the local UPS Store and I had to call them with payment information, yadda, yadda, yadda…. In the end, our rugs were on their way the following Monday with tracking. I couldn’t believe it. Truly, it was a huge miracle and I nearly cried with relief. I asked the clerk if she’d be able to give me the name of the person who turned them in and she told me her boss said it was okay, but I never heard back. I was willing to pay some reward money for their kindness and honesty. Whoever they were, I wish them well.
I am so glad you got your rugs back!

I too am very happy that someone turned in your rugs! That is a heart-warming story!

But I am confused that you ate dinner at a restaurant in Tucson, AZ while staying in Las Cruces, NM. What am I missing about this? Is there also a Tucson in NM?

What a beautiful home. I love all the unique places you chose to stay at.
Yum! I can't believe those prices! $8.50 for a margarita! Wow!
Best news ever!! I am so happy to hear your rugs were found. There definitely are many good people in the world.

Sometimes people really do restore your faith in humanity! Delighted for you that you got your rugs back.
Lundeen Inn of the Arts looks amazing. Such a beautiful place to stay and such a great start to your day with a yummy breakfast and great news about the rugs.

I too am very happy that someone turned in your rugs! That is a heart-warming story!

But I am confused that you ate dinner at a restaurant in Tucson, AZ while staying in Las Cruces, NM. What am I missing about this? Is there also a Tucson in NM?
Fixed! ;) That’s what I get for being rushed in my writing.

The road was long and winding
I took very, very few photos of our drive from Gallup to Las Cruces. In fact, I took exactly 2.
Oh, I get this. I've done 16 hour runs and not taken a single photo. Still enjoy all the scenery, though.
a lot of slower pickups
Not quite sure what you mean by this?
There were a lot of slow pickup trucks with hunters? Or is this referring to something like switchbacks?
gas station/better-than-average convenience store that happened to also make fresh subs and burgers
Always leery of gas station food. :scared:
this old building that I’m guessing was a hotel or school at some point.
Interesting observation. I took it for a prosperous home owner.
Not a bad day of driving.
a gorgeous boutique Bed and Breakfast. Described as a “one hundred-year-old restored Mexican territorial inn”,
How cool is that!
the house is a bit off the beaten path tucked away in a quiet neighborhood that Google didn’t appreciate.
Google just doesn't appreciate art! :snooty:
She encouraged me to file a police report
Interesting you both thought the same thing.
and maybe check with my auto or home owner’s insurance to see if there might be something that could be done to at least recover the cost. I had already done that.
Now that I would never have thought of.
Her recently deceased husband studies under Frank Lloyd Wright
1. "studies"???? You mean they're together in the afterlife planning a new building?

2. okay, okay... still... that's... pretty amazing that he did.
and you can see elements of that architecture infused into this home.
Really! I need to see this place.
Linda, who has long-standing, deep roots in Tucson, called ahead for us and made us a reservation after confirming it was open as late as we’d be there.
Nice of her. :)
I think by the time we drove there, found it, parked, and checked-in, it was well after 9:00.
Whoa. Good thing you had such a filling lunch! You were still probably starved, though?
IMG_5662-L.jpg
Cool! Not just William Bonney, but Kit Carson and Pancho Villa too?!?!?!?!? Holy cow! History in a bottle!
The cacophony of squawking parrots, the clanking of dishes being served, and the laughter and chatter of the many guests still dining was loud and clear in the lobby.
The sounds of good food. ::yes::

(Well, maybe not the parrots...)
were given the very extensive food menu- of which I was only mildly interested in compared to the margarita one… considering the day we’d had.
:rolleyes1
Grand Marnier makes ALL margs better.
If you say so... might not do so for mine.
next time, should there be one, and since I have to go home from AZ soon, there very well may be, I would order the Damiana and Daiseys.
Just a word of warning... or perhaps a word of advice, depending on your point of view? You might not want that if you're going to be seeing your gentlemen friends of the day before... noticed that one is an aphrodisiac...

:rolleyes2
I went with a single pork tamale with red sauce. True to New Mexican food, this was SPICY and very delicious!!
Both dishes look delicious.
Owned some, years ago. About that size, too. (I'm guessing about 6" long?)
I think they're oscars... pretty wicked fish too, but no teeth.
this was the best place we’d stayed in since Tammie’s amazing home in Klamath Falls….
High praise indeed!
Several pieces caught my eye, but without having moved into my portion of my new Bowling Green home, I didn’t know if there would really even be any room for wall art beyond what I had brought. So, no purchases but plenty of admiring.
Now that you've been to Bowling Green, should you go back (you said you might) do you think you might buy something?

And is all that art on display for sale??
I don’t remember what she served, but it was yummy and filling and held us until lunch that day.
:laughing: Who knows what it was, but it was good!
He handed me the phone and it miraculously was the Gallup Police Department telling us a good Samaritan had turned in the rugs and they’d be delighted to ship them to us.
YAY!!!!!
Truly, it was a huge miracle and I nearly cried with relief.
Awww... very glad you got them back. :)

I'm glad that you posted the map. You are exploring a lot of the Southwest. :)

The bed and breakfast is gorgeous. I'm surprised that Google didn't know where it was since it is obviously a great destination. :)

I'm not surprised that someone turned in the lost rugs. There are more good people out there than bad ones. :)

So happy the rugs were found and turned in!! It's always nice to hear that good people still exist in this crazy world we live in!

Looks like a lovely home to spend the evening in, and the margaritas were definitely well-deserved!

Yay for the lost rugs being turned in and getting back to you!

(And I was wondering if anyone would comment on the "studies with FLLW" bit, but I see Pkondz took care of that, lol)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter