Thanksgiving week-where we ate (counter service added)

Columbia Harbour House- This place was packed at the MK a few days before Thanksgiving. There were long lines, but luckily there are laminated menus that get handed back through the line so those waiting have a chance to decide what they want before they get up to the register. Also, the crush was so bad that after each customer received food, they was no way out with the tray without many "excuse me/pardon me" nudges.
Now to the important part- the food. We were 5 on this line, me, DH, DS12, DS16 and my sister. I got the much heralded Anchors Aweigh tuna sandwich on toasted multigrain bread. Yum! That was a good sandwich. Beats a tired old burger any day. I split this with DS (12) and it came with a bag of chips which he couldn't have because they were not safe for a peanut allergic kid. I think they were a brand called Miss Vickies. The rest of us tried them and they were very good - thick chips.
My sister got the Half Sandwich and a Cup of Soup which I believe was a clam chowder. She gave DS her crackers to make up for him not being able to eat the chips. Her sandwich was a half of the Starboard Deck sandwich, a ham sandwich with a broccoli slaw and cheese. She gave this a thumbs up as well.
DH had the chicken strips and fries. He didn't comment on the chicken either way, so I suppose it was standard. I snagged a few fries and enjoyed them, but they were also ordinary theme park fare.
DS 16 also had the chicken strips and fries. Like most 16 year old boys, he kept his thoughts to himself. :teeth:
For dessert, we got 3 chocolate cakes and one apple pie for my sister who doesn't like chocolate. I thought the cake was nothing special. Later in the week, at AK, I had better chocolate cake (IMHO) at Pizzafari. DS 12 was later taken to the funnel cake stand to enjoy a funnel cake for dessert since the cakes were off limits for him. He really enjoyed that funnel cake, which I knew was safe for him since I had checked it beforehand via email with Disney.
Grade - A - for variety and freshness
Still to come, Pizzafari, Boulangerie Patisserie and Dole Whip stand. :)

Dole Whips- (MK)- Well, even though it was pretty cold in Orlando that week, I wasn't go to let by an opportunity to try the famouse Dole Whip. I was extra excited since it's dairy free and wouldn't make me sick. (I am easily excited :teeth: )
I chose the Dole Whip float which was a cup containing pineapple juice in the bottom and a large serving of pineapple soft serve on top. I shared it with my sister since it was so big and it wasn't long until lunch. It definitely hit the spot for me because I don't get to have ice cream like treats very often, however, really it is not as good as scooped ice cream. The whip has a mild flavor which I guess is pineapple - I couldn't really tell - maybe it was overshadowed by the real pineapple flavor of the juice (which I enjoyed).
I would definitely get this again, because I have limited access to this kind of treat, but if I could eat regular ice cream I would probably pass on the Dole Whip.
I give the Dole Whip float a B for flavor and an A++ for being dairy free (yea!!)

Boulangerie Patisserie- We stopped here for lunch during our first day at Epcot. The rest of group went on to the Japanese counter service, but I knew that DS16 wouldn't eat there, so we split up. There was a line out the door for food, but it moved fairly quicky and split into two lines inside

The server was very helpful in explaining the DDP to us. Honestly, I cannot recall the details of it any more, but I am glad to report that they helped us use to plan to our benefit.
For lunch, DH had a ham and cheese on a croissant which they warmed for him, after asking if he would like it that way. He enjoyed his lunch. DS and I each got a turkey sandwich. I am sorry to say that it was bland and the bread seemed stale. I asked for mustard and was directed to the packets of condiments that were no different than those at any fast food place. IMHO, a French restaurant should offer french mustard or at least a good quality mustard. This took much away from my enjoyment of my lunch.
The pastries were good, but not spectacular. DS16 had some croissants and wolfed them down. I had an elephant ears pastry (which I know better as a palmier pastry )which is a flaky and sweet heart shaped cookie made from pastry puff. It was good, but again not anything you would run back for. DH had a long pastry made from the same dough used for croissants that was sprinkled with small chocolate bits. It was essentially a large, differently shaped chocolate croissant. He liked it very much.
Overall, the pastries here are worth trying, but I would not bother to get actual lunch foods here again due to the small selection and mediocre quality.
Due to the helpful service :) and enjoyable desserts, I give Boulangerie Patisserie a B.

Thanks for taking the time to post your reviews, I enjoyed reading them. :donald:

I wanted to try that tuna sandwich so bad at CHH, but we never made it there! :sad2: Really enjoying the reviews!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter