Thanksgiving week-where we ate (counter service added)

bookworm61

Mouseketeer
Concourse Steakhouse - very good meal. We started with smoothies, which were very good. A nice treat, courtesy of the DDP. :) I had the scallops as a starter - they were okay, nothing spectacular, and then the filet mignon, which was fantastic. We shared some onion rings with dip. They were pretty good. I was with a large group, so I'll just hit the highlights. My sister had the buffalo and loved it. My son had the chicken noodle soup and the filet - loved both. My husband wasn't crazy about his French Onion soup. Our server, Jackson, was wonderful and the chef came out to help us regarding my son's food allergies. He was great with DS. Overall, I give this meal an "A".

Chef Mickey's - We had an 11:10 ADR and showed up at 11. We weren't seated til 11:50 and were put off by the delay. Things were just wrapping up at the restaurant, so I feel that we missed out on the fun. I wouldn't book this late again. The food and service were fine, but I go to CM for the fun, not the food. Still, my little nieces and nephew really enjoyed seeing the characters so I was happy to see them happy. I just know that it could have been much, much more. They never took our photo in front of the plate and I felt very rushed. For the food and waitress service, I give it a B, for the delays in seating that resulted in us missing the entertainment, I give it a C-.

Still to come, Grand Floridian Cafe, Coral Reef, Kona Cafe, 1900 Park Fare, Whispering Canyon Cafe, and assorted counter service and snack locations. :)

Grand Floridian Cafe - We were seated promptly at a table for 12 in the back area of the restaurant. Surprisingly, I saw empty tables even though I had observed that people without reservations were turned away at the podium. I took this to mean that they were holding those tables to honor existing reservations that had not yet arrived (or whose time was a bit later in the evening).
Again, the chef came out to discuss safe options for my son who is allergic to peanuts and treenuts. He had the salmon and a caesar salad. He enjoyed the salad, but the salmon was too sophisticated for a 12 year old's palate. He ended up sharing entrees with my husband and myself.

I had a steak which was tender and flavorful. My husband really loved his prime rib. Initially it came out well done, even though he had ordered medium rare. He sent it back and another slice came out moments later, perfectly done. My appetizer was the crab cakes, which were good. My older son had a hamburger and fries which satisfied him greatly since he is a very plain eater. It was nice to have an option like that for the kids who are over 9 years old, but not always interested in a more adult meal.
My sister's kids were 9 and under and she was generally unhappy with the new menu for kids. At most restaurants, she requested and received a kid's size portion of an adult meal such as a small piece of salmon or other fish.

For dessert, I had the chocolate fondue which was wonderful. It was a cup of melted orange flavored chocolate surrounded by strawberries, bananas, watermelon and marshmallows. I give this meal an A for food and service. :)

Coral Reef- We were seated front and center in 3 tables (due to the size of our group). I started with the shrimp cocktail, which was okay, but not spectacular. It was a sizable portion of shrimp served ina martini glass over asian noodles. DH had a seafood souffle which he thought was just okay as well. As our entrees, I had salmon which was tender and flavorful. It came with a garnish of guacamole. As a side, I only had a baked potato so I can't comment on the usual side of rice. DH had a Ny strip steak which he said was very good. Younger DS had a mixed greens salad with a vinaigrette dressing. Both my kids had the steak as well and enjoyed them greatly.

For dessert, I had the chocolate wave (of course). It was a small warm chocolate cake oozing with melted chocolated. It was delicious. It was served with a small dish of ice cream, which I didn't try since I can't eat dairy foods any more without getting ill. DH had the cheesecake with walnuts. He didn't tell me what he thought, but he did eat it all up. :teeth: DS had the pineapple upside down cake (he was intrigued by the idea of an upside down cake) and enjoyed it very much. It looked very rich.

I had arranged for a diver and happily he arrived with a congratulatory sign for my parent's 50th anniversary. They were delighted with the surprise. The restaurant was lovely and the kids really enjoyed watching the fish and the divers who would stop and wave to the diners. My parents loved this restaurant and overall the food was very good. The service felt a bit harried, but a group of 12 is always a challenge. This is not a quiet meal, because there are many young kids dining here, but it was a beautiful restaurant and felt like a special meal for my family. I will give it an A for atmosphere and a B+ for food. :)

Great Reviews, I can't wait to try the fondue at the GF Cafe. I did not realize the choc. was orange flavored...do you think they can give it to you without the orange flavoring? Was the orange flavoring strong in the choc.?

Loralie

I love the combination of chocolate and orange flavors, so it didn't seem too strong to me. It wouldn't hurt to ask if they can make it without the orange flavor if you're not sure. :)

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Bookworm,

Welcome Back :) I've been anxiously awaiting your reviews. I'm the one that's planning a 60th anniversary trip for my parents in January and also has a son with peanut allergies.

So, sounds like you were happy with most of the restaurants. If you had to pick either Concourse Steakhouse or Grand Floridian Cafe, which would you prefer?

So did your parents enjoy their anniversary trip? Did the CM's do anything special for them anywhere?

Looking forward to hearing all about your trip as I look forward to mine. :cool1:

Hi dcmmgw,
Glad you contacted me so I can share all the 411 about the anniversary. I think either restaurant would be great, but I think the Concourse felt a bit more upscale. However, the Grand Floridian is quieter is that is something to consider. At the Concourse, they offered my parents a complimentary glass of champagne (they asked for wine instead and got it). I think they got more attention for their anniversary there. Also, the chef at the Concourse was more attentive about the allergies and came out a few times to check on my son. If you can handle the noisier atmosphere, it felt a little more special.

If you decide to eat at the Coral Reef at any point during your trip, the diver was great. You can arrange that by calling the restaurant.
We had hats made that said 50th Anniversary and got a lot of positive feedback (congrats, etc) from those.
Make sure to put down on any and all reservations about the anniversary and the allergy. I think WDW's attention to preparing foods for customers with food allergies is exceptional!
I ordered an 8 " inch cake at the Grand Floridian (1900 Park Fare). It was huge. If you order a cake, go smaller. We were 12 people and we didn't even eat one quarter of that cake. However, it was beautiful They did a great job.

At any guest service location in the park, you can get a pin that says something along the lines of Celebrating an Anniversary. Your folks can wear them, if they like.
Sixty years is an amazing achievement. I hope they have a wonderful trip. I would be happy to answer any more questions you have, either in this thread or you can PM me.
Bookworm

Kona Cafe - We were seated fairly promptly at a long table for 12. Our waitress came over and took our drink orders. My son and I ordered strawberry smoothies and the rest of our party ordered soft drinks. We did not have water glasses and they were not brought out at any point. (I noticed this quite a bit this trip; perhaps it's a policy to only serve water on request).
After about 15 minutes, the drinks finally arrived - except for the smoothies. The waitress explained that there was a problem with the smoothies and that they would be up soon. At this point,my son was getting very thirsty. I asked for water but after another 15 minutes, neither water nor smoothies had arrived. I walked over to the podium to tell the hostess that we were having a problem getting our drinks and lo and behold just as I sat down, they were delivered. Honestly, drinks should not take 30 minutes, especially when water isn't being served.
When the smoothies finally arrived, they were fine. They were like nonalcoholic strawberry daquiris; a nice treat for those of us who didn't feel like having a soda.
The rest of the meal went much more smoothly. The chef had come out to discuss my son's choices due to his peanut allergy. He chose the chicken noodle soup and the Beef Terriyaki. He ate every drop of that soup and said he loved it. It looked really homemade, with bits of chicken, veggies and pasta. His entree was a strip steak which unfortunately was over cooked, but we didn't send it back due to time constraints. It had mashed potatoes, broccoli and bits of pineapple on the steak. Except for the overcooking, it was a good choice - very kid friendly.

I had the crabcakes as a starter. There were 2 small crab cakes. They were tasty, but not spectacular. I prefer small appetizers because I don't like to fill up too quickly, so I was happy about the size.
As an entree, I had the filet mignon, medium rare. It comes with a seasoning (5 spice mushroom demiglace) that may be too intense for a kid, but was great for an adult. (My older son ordered this without the seasoning.) Let me just state that this was the most delicious piece of meat and perfectly prepared!! I cannot recommend it highly enough!!
My husband had the filet mignon also and he raved about it as well. As a side, it had some aspargus which was good. I think I had rice as well instead of the usual mashed potatoes (can't eat mashed potatoes because of the butter -sob).
My husband had the potstickers as a starter, as did many in our group. Most enjoyed them, but no one raved about them. They are a duck filled dumpling in a ginger sauce.
My sister had the Kona chowder - a creamy seafood bisque. She really liked this. Her entree was the shrimp and scallops which she enjoyed, but she removed the panko breading because she didn't really want breaded seafood, just seafood.

For dessert, I had the Kilauea Torte, which was a small chocolate cake filled with melted chocolate. It was excellent, and I highly recommend it.
My older son and my Mom had the Kiddie Cone which is an ice cream cone affixed to a plate and filled with ice cream and topped with M & Ms. It has cotton candy around the base of the cone. I think there was also a chocolate Mickey garnish. This was a big hit. My younger son has the food allergy and we knew that the cone was not safe for him and the M & Ms were definitely not okay (the plain have peanut bits in the shell coating). At my request, our waitress prepared an ice cream sundae for him with the chocolate Mickey garnish and the cotton candy arranged around the glass ice cream dish. I was so happy that he was able to have a special dessert, like everyone else and I really appreciated her efforts.

Overall, I would eat here again since I think the problem with the drinks was a fluke. Bad service happens. The filet mignon was spectacular. I would go back just for that. I give this restaurant an A for food and a B for service, but that filet gets an A++.

Still to come, 1900 Park Fare for Thanksgiving dinner, Whispering Canyon Cafe for breakfast, Pizzafari in AK, All Star Sports End Zone Cafe, Boulangerie Patisserie in Epcot, Toluca Turkey Legs in MGM, and Columbia Harbour House in MK. :)

1900 Park Fare - Thanksgiving Dinner

We had 3:10 ADRs and arrived on time, but unfortunately a bit too late to see the opening of the restaurant. I have to wonder how it was done, though, since the Fairy Godmother wasn't there that day. They had a substitute character in the lobby - Aurora from Sleeping Beauty. I didn't see her, but my little nieces went out to see her and they were very happy to get her autograph.
We were seated promptly at a long table for 12, chairs on one side, banquette on the other. Our drink orders were taken promptly. This was one restaurant where we were told that smoothies were not included on the plan. (Every other restaurant had included them at dinner.) I chose a pink lemonade.
We could see that characters (Cinderella, the mice and Prince Charming )were making their way around the room. I told the kids (and big kids) to hang tight and that the characters would get to us eventually. Before long, one of the mice (Suzy or Perla) made her way to our table and did pix and autographs with the kids. They were very happy to meet her. Over the evening, each character came over at least once and spent a significant amount of time with the kids. My 12 year old DS, in all seriousness, told Prince Charming that he was "glad to see a male gendered character" at the meal. Prince C. gave me a "huh?" look and I translated, "He's happy to see a boy character." DS really cracks us up! :rotfl2:

As usual, the chef came to our table right away to discuss allergies. He told us 2 or 3 items to avoid on the buffet (nut items) and then discussed which desserts were safe. He recommended the ice cream, which I had already planned on. I told him that we had also ordered a safe cake. Since it was Thanksgiving, I asked if the pumpkin pie was safe. The chef said he would check and a bit later on a dish with a miniature pumpkin tart arrived at our table with the chef's okay that it was safe for DS. This is an example of the care and caring WDW takes with its food allergy guests. Not only did the chef check to see if the pie was safe, he sent one out that had never been placed in a buffet area next to other, unsafe, dessert items. DS was very happy to have this treat. Usually the only pumpkin pie he gets is homemade by me and not if we are at any other venue for Thanksgiving.

Shortly afterwards, we made our way to the buffet. For starters, I want to comment on the physical set up of the buffet. It was in a back area of the restaurant with two queues that didn't have the same items. Where the queues met up, there was a carving station with at least 2 meats. I didn't get anything from there, but one was a beef and the other might have been turkey. Since there was turkey on the line, I didn't really check it out. In front of the carving area were condiments including 2 kinds of horseradish (sauce and ground), cranberry sauce and marmalade. Oddly there dishes of cranberry were small and ran out quickly. They should know that on Turkey Day, that this would be a "hot" item and put out alot.
Anyway, the two lines both had different dinner items and different soups. The line to the right also had desserts and the one to left also had salad items. My mom and I both thought that it would make sense to keep all the dinner items together so that you don't have to get on 2 different queues to make up a dinner plate. For example, turkey, stuffing a gravy were on one side. Green beens and sweet potatoes were on the other. Also, it was a bit of a tight squeeze in for the lines in the space where it was set up. Not sure if this is the usual set up, or a Thanksgiving arraangement.
There was also a separate pasta station with 2 pastas which were ostensibly being made fresh by the man standing at the station. One was alfredo, I believe, and another was in a red sauce. I had the latter and it was okay, but didn't taste as fresh as you would be led to believe by seeing someone making it. It was actually scooped from a dish that contained already prepared pasta.
I then had a salad, which was good. There were 3 salad choices: Caesar, vinagrette and various lettuces and fixing and dressing for a custom choice. I selected the vinagrette prepared salad and also was very happy to see peel and eat shrimp and cocktail sauce. Both were good.
Now, you would think I would be full (NOT!!), so I went on to a plate of Thanksgiving traditional choices. I had turkey which was served in separate trays for white and dark meat. I chose white meat, added stuffing, gravy, a dab of mashed potatoes, green beens and sweet potatoes. All were very good, except the giblet gravy which is not to my taste. I don't like giblets.

I also took a small piece of salmon which was very good. There was also chicken marsala. I didn't try it, but DBIL did and he liked it.
The kids' section had pizza which was my older DS's thanksgiving dinner. He doesn't like turkey. There was also mac n cheese which I didn't try.

My younger DS tried the Strawberry soup and loved it. He didn't even want them to clear away his empty bowl (was he plannnig to lick it clean??). DH tried the butternut squash soup and also raved about it. There was also a tomato florentine, but none of us tried it, so I can't comment on it.

For dessert, there was bread pudding (great!!) and an assortment of mini pastries (including the aforementioned pumpkin pie tarts). I never tried any of the pastries, but the chef had mentioned that they were special for the holiday. Apparently, not the usual dessert. There was a soft serve machine with vanilla and chocolate which was very popular. DH commented at one point that the machine was out of chocolate. Since the restaurant had just opened and was going to stay open for many more hours, I assume that they must have refilled it at some point.

Our cake was delivered and it was beautiful. It was an 8 inch, 2 layer cake decorated to look like a wedding cake. It had white cake, with a layer of whipped cream and strawberries and was frosted with white buttercream. It was decorated with the kind of "trim" you would see on a wedding cake and white and gold roses that appeared to be made of sugar or chocolate.

The waitress served us all slices, which we could barely eat of course! :teeth: It was good, not the best cake I have ever had, but very tasty. The buttercream frosting was very good, but I love butter cream. I am not a big whipped cream fan, but I had chosen that because it was a safe choice for my son's allergies. The cake was huge, even for our group of 12, and to do it again, I would have a smaller cake. We didn't eat more than one quarter of it. We asked the waitress to box it up and keep it in the fridge and my parents picked it up the next day on their way back home (to southern FL).
Well, overall, this was a very good meal and a good choice for Thanksgiving. My little nieces and nephew were so happy to see the characters and there was a large selection of food for the picky eaters (like my pizza eating 16 year old). The service was good too. I give this restaurant a B+ for the food and and A for character interaction and service. :)

bookworm61 said:
Kona Cafe - , I had the filet mignon, medium rare. It comes with a seasoning (5 spice mushroom demiglace) that may be too intense for a kid, but was great for an adult. (My older son ordered this without the seasoning.) Let me just state that this was the most delicious piece of meat and perfectly prepared!! I cannot recommend it highly enough!!

Was the filet mignon in one whole piece or slices? I read on the menus section of Allears website that it is Char Crusted medallions of filet mignon and I am not sure what that is. I think it means slices instead of a whole steak but I could be wrong. :confused3

Loralie

This was one piece of meat. A very nice size. I couldn't finish it, but DS and DH had no problem polishing it off.

WCC for breakfast - This was our first time at WCC for breakfast. This a favorite dinner location for us and we were looking forward to introducing it to our extended family. Since it was our last day, everyone was rushed and tense. We were seated in the main dining area and our waiter was Mat who was enthusiastic and just right for this restaurant (sassy). Unfortunately, I don't think my folks got the joke and my mom was pretty put off. She told me she thought the restaurant was crude.
We ordered drinks (coffee and/or juice) and then about half of us, including me, got the breakfast skillet. My sister's family ordered it without meats since they don't eat pork. Mat brought out 2 skillets for our large table, one without meats and one with. DS (12), who is tiny for his age, also ordered the skillet and Mat brought him out a kid's individual skillet which was fine with me because 1) DS loves to have his own skillet and 2) we had used up or DDP credits and were probably charged the lesser price for DS.
The skillet contained scrambled eggs, biscuits, homefries (sauteed potatoes and onions), bacon, sausage, gravy in its own cup, and waffles. Containers of syrup were placed separately on the table. Everything was tasty, but the biscuits, inexplicably, tasted salty. (Perhaps someone sprinkled salt all over the skillet before it went out?)
My older DS ordered French toast, without a cinnamon glaze that usually comes with it. It was 2 slices of french toast, which is a reasonable portion if you aren't a 16 year old. He could have used at least twice that. He polished it off in a minute.
Throughout breakfast, there were some antics, but not as many as we have seen at dinner in the past. Two young girls sang for the restaurant. This is something I have never seen before. We also did the hokey pokey which I thought was very cute.
After the breakfast arrived, I asked Mat for ketchup, knowing full well what to expect. Within moments, about 15 bottles arrived, delivered by excited youngsters. Well, my Mom, not known for her sense of humor, didn't get it at all and told some poor young girl that that was enough already and to stop putting ketchup on our table. I told the girl that it was fine and to leave the ketchup on our table. A while later some other family was looking for ketchup and we got to clear away our bounty.
Mat worked very hard, despite my extended family's cluelessness and I want to send him a cyber- thank you. He announced my parents anniversary and the restaurant congratulated them. He also gave my niece a dessert with a candle for 7th birthday which was just a few days later and I think the restaurant sang to her.
Overall, the food was typical restaurant breakfast food. The service was good and the antics were a bit subpar, but I am used to the high swing of dinnertime fun. My extended family was a wet blanket. I give the following grades:
Food B; Service A; Restaurant B; Family C-

All Star Sports End Zone Cafe - What a nice surprise this place was!! When I think food court, I think about mall food courts. This was nothing like that. The food was fresh and tasty.
The food court is set up with, I believe, 4 different counters. One is fresh scooped ice creams/sundaes. Then there is a self service bakery area. Then there are 3 counter where food is prepared. We ate here for several breakfasts and one dinner.
For dinner one night, I ordered the salmon on a green salad which is one of the entrees listed on the cool looking video screen menu. The menu is constantly moving to show pictures/prices for different items. I was very surprised when the worker behind the counter took a fresh piece of salmon and started cooking it. She then told me what veggies came in the salad and then asked if they were okay. Then she asked similarly about the dressing. I was happy with the dressing, which I believe was a bacon walnut vinagrette. For those who don't want this dressing, they have other, pre packaged dressing choices in small packets in a cold case in the market area.

The salad and salmon were delicious! Restaurant quality, not food court quality. This is probably because they make it fresh. DH got on another line and ordered a Caesar salad with chicken. I don't know if his was made fresh, as mine was. He thought it was just okay. I definitely made the better choice.
If you are going to eat at this location, look carefully to where they are making the items to order. That is what you will probably want to choose.

For dessert, I got the oatmeal cookie. It was pretty good. If you choose ice cream on the DDP, you are stuck with whatever you choose even when you go back later for it. For instance, if you say single scoop ice cream, they won't let you get a sundae. So if you're not sure what you want, go bigger.
I think it would be easier to try to downsize.

Anyway, we ate several breakfasts here. Sometimes we got pastries (croissants, chocolate croissants or muffins). They were standard. One AM, I warmed my croissant in the microwave for a few seconds and it was much better.
DS(12) got the strawberry pancakes with bacon a few times and liked that alot. He also got grits on the side. (Surprisingly, he only weighs 56 lb!! :rotfl2: ) Another time he got a bagel with cream cheese. The bagels are in the pastry case, but you have to go into the market area for the cream cheese. This was a typical Lenders bagel. As a New Yorker, I will refrain from saying what I think of those kind of bagels. I accept that they are the bagels we will see when on vacation. Anyway, there is a toaster in the seating area which probably made it alot more palatable for DS.

One AM, I got the adult breakfast platter with scrambled eggs, biscuit, bacon and potatoes. There may have been sausage, but whenever I see that, I usually tell them to sub in more bacon as I prefer it. This was pretty good, but -WARNING- these are eggs from a tray of scrambled eggs. The bacon tends to be fatty too, so if you like it lean, ask for that. I learned that pretty quickly.
My mom, whom no one has ever described as low maintenance, went to the custom order line which I believe is next to the pastries case. (This is where I got the great salmon at dinner time.) She got a freshly made omelet to her specifications and got a different side than whatever was usually included, because that is how she goes through life. :teeth:

So far as drinks were concerned, I usually got juice or water from the cold case in the market area. There was also a choice of bottles of Nestles Quik, which DS chose often. DH had bought a mug and used that for coffee every AM. One AM, DS 12 selected hot chocolate as his drink. They give you a cup and it is self serve. I filled it up and gave it to him. Later, I noticed that it was competely watery. He had thought it was supposed to be that way. I tossed the contents and refilled it at a working machine, but it was really too late for him to enjoy it.

Even though we didn't eat dinner here on Thanksgiving, a full turkey dinner was definitely on the menu. It was advertised at breakfast and later on, while passing by, I saw someone eating it. It looked pretty decent.
My ratings, as food courts go, I give it an A.

Great detailed reviews! My DH and I tried Kona Cafe for the first time last week, and I definitely want to go back and try that filet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter