Thanksgiving or spring break?

dez1978

DIS Veteran
Our choices for our next trip are this Thanksgiving week, Nov 21-27, or next March, the last full week of the month. Which would you choose? Kids will be 6 or 7 (depending which time we go) and 9 then. It will be our 3rd trip. So not first timers, but not seasoned experts either.

We've gone over spring break and yes, it's crowded but if you have a solid plan in place, it's really not that bad. My theory on this is that the country's spring breaks are spread out over 6-7 weeks or so, but everyone has the same Thanksgiving week. We really enjoy the March weather and it's a lovely break after the winter weather. :)

I learned last year that Thanksgiving can be a crapshoot. Both will be very busy. I swore I would never go over spring break, but I’m seriously considering it for next year. I can’t decide which is more important right now, weather or crowds.

We went over Thanksgiving week in 2018 and never waited more than 25 minutes for anything. It's all about having a solid plan. The bonus for Thanksgiving is all of the Holiday decorations are out.
That's why we are really considering thanksgiving. I'd love to go to a mvmcp (I think there'd be one the sunday before thanksgiving) and see all the decorations. Bonus, my bday is that week.
:stitch:

I learned last year that Thanksgiving can be a crapshoot. Both will be very busy. I swore I would never go over spring break, but I’m seriously considering it for next year. I can’t decide which is more important right now, weather or crowds.
Is the weather better in Nov or March? So far we've been in May (we swore never again) and January.

I agree, Thanksgiving is typically crazy, but I felt the last couple years weren’t too bad. Weather can vary, a bit chillier at night, but it’s worth it if you love everything Christmas! Good luck deciding!

November will be mild and can have some temp swings at times, maybe even get the rare off the wall cooler (40s-50s) day. But for the most part 70s and sunny, its post hurricane season and the rain isnt heavy around that time. Crowds are manageable.
Spring break is a crap shoot on weather. For instance, last week this time it was in the 60s, today its 85. And its the same way in March..temps can run from 70s to 90s depending on the front around. Also will likely get more rain in March than late November and in my opinion as a resident, crowds are worse in March than Thanksgiving weekend.

In either case, just plan it out, refresh, and have fun

Is the weather better in Nov or March? So far we've been in May (we swore never again) and January.

It was absolutely perfect in November both times we did it (2017 and 2019). We've done first week of December, too, and that was lovely. We went March 1-5 last year and it was perfect until a cold front came through on our last day.

We went both last year- our spring break was the week leading up to Easter, and then during Thanksgiving week. Both are crowded, so be prepared for that. I enjoyed each trip for different reasons. In April it was my first trip during Flower & Garden Festival which was neat. Lots of fun Easter decorations.
Thanksgiving week will have lots of holiday decor and more special events to partake in should you choose. We‘ve been several times over Thanksgiving and love it!

The weather was somewhat similar though Thanksgiving can be cooler. We had plenty of opportunity to chill at the pool, yet it wasn’t so ridiculously hot that we were miserable.
Edited to add: we did have one Thanksgiving that it got down into the 30s a couple nights and that was a challenge to pack for since it was much warmer later in the week.

Last edited:
I would go with whatever works best into your schedule. I know for me, Thanksgiving week I get two days off from work and spring break I have to take all five days as vacation - so if I was strapped for vacation days I would go with Thanksgiving.

I think November and March are Orlando's two best weather months, so you can't go wrong with either choice.

I see that Easter in 2021 is April 4. I think the week going into Easter will be more crowded than Thanksgiving week. However, I think the last full week in March, being the week before Easter week, will be less crowded than Thanksgiving. That has been our experience with both mid-March and Thanksgiving-week trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter