TGIF: The College Years

babieemelly

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone! I love looking around on these boards and talking to everyone, but I haven't found many people on here around my age. I'm 20 so I figured the best place to go would be the College Boards ;) I'm currently in my third year of college and majoring in Childhood Education, and I'm probably not doing the College Program anytime soon. Since most of the posts on here are about the CP I thought I'd start a new thread where we can all hang out and get to know each other.

I don't know about you, but I judge people based on their music :lmao: It's horrible, I know! But since music can usually tell you a lot about a person, it's always fun to hear what other people are listening to. I LOVE classic rock - Elton John, Pink Floyd, The Who, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp, Zeppelin, The Stones, Tom Petty, Steve Miller, Supertramp, The Beatles... the list goes on and on and on. When it comes to new stuff I like more indie rock - Kings of Leon, Muse, The Format, The Honorary Title, Bright Eyes, Silverchair, Okkervil River, The Killers, Radiohead, The Dresden Dolls, The Strokes, Thirsty Merc, etc. I also love me some Taking Back Sunday and My Chem. And I'm obsessed with Cher because she's absolutely fabulous :lmao:

So what's everyone listening to??

Okay--so I am so glad you saw that this board need some non-CPer talk (not that there's anything wrong with that--it just depresses me because I don't have time to do it!) I have followed 2 of your TRs and I feel as if I know you and your fam. HA! That sounds so stalker-ish. I am a junior, majoring in Psychology and getting my K-6 teaching licensure!

My choices in music are so varied that it's crazy. I listen to all things on the radio-- pop(is that even a genre anymore?),country, rock (minus screaming, head-banging), rap, oldies...my absolute all-time fave is Jimmy Buffett though. I was raised a ParrotHead- my parents are to blame.

So, do you have class tomorrow?

ETA: HOLY COW! i was reading another one of your reports just now and realized we're doing the same thing! the whole education/psychology thing..and then i saw you want to teach second grade! that is where i am going to be student teaching and what i want to teach for the rest of my life!

Okay--so I am so glad you saw that this board need some non-CPer talk (not that there's anything wrong with that--it just depresses me because I don't have time to do it!) I have followed 2 of your TRs and I feel as if I know you and your fam. HA! That sounds so stalker-ish. I am a junior, majoring in Psychology and getting my K-6 teaching licensure!

My choices in music are so varied that it's crazy. I listen to all things on the radio-- pop(is that even a genre anymore?),country, rock (minus screaming, head-banging), rap, oldies...my absolute all-time fave is Jimmy Buffett though. I was raised a ParrotHead- my parents are to blame.

So, do you have class tomorrow?

Thanks for reading!!! I'm glad people are at least reading along :lmao: And Jimmy Buffett?! I LOVE Jimmy Buffett!!! OK, way too many exclamation point. But I really do love me some Jimmy Buffett. Margaritaville down in Orlando is the greatest restaurant ever because there's nothing better than listening to "Cheeseburger in Paradise" while the margarita volcano explodes. Good times.

Of course pop's a genre. I'll admit I have a whole lot of Hanson and the Backstreet Boys on my MP3 player... :rolleyes1 Just don't tell anyone :rotfl2:

No class tomorrow. Spring semester doesn't start until Friday for me. What about you?

ETA: HOLY COW! i was reading another one of your reports just now and realized we're doing the same thing! the whole education/psychology thing..and then i saw you want to teach second grade! that is where i am going to be student teaching and what i want to teach for the rest of my life!

I love that! Not many people want to teach anymore but I can't imagine not doing it. I started out wanting to teach 2nd grade but I've since switched to 1st. But I really just want to teach whichever grade has an opening in a good elementary school! I LOVE the kids and the whole idea of helping to "shape their minds," but I also love the idea of my schedule never changing :lmao: Having the entire summer, Christmas week, mid-winter recess, spring break, Thanksgiving weekend and all the holidays off is mighty nice :thumbsup2

I think you must have posted just as I edited my post when I realized how similar our college & career stuff is!

I completely agree with the Margaritaville comments... I live in NC, so when we can't make it to Orlando-- it's okay because there is one in Myrtle Beach.

My spring semester started on the 9th... but we have tomorrow off for MLK Day... much needed day off--ALREADY!

I think you must have posted just as I edited my post when I realized how similar our college & career stuff is!

I completely agree with the Margaritaville comments... I live in NC, so when we can't make it to Orlando-- it's okay because there is one in Myrtle Beach.

My spring semester started on the 9th... but we have tomorrow off for MLK Day... much needed day off--ALREADY!

I keep forgetting that tomorrow's MLK Day. After being off for a month I don't even know what day it is :lmao: Enjoy you're day off!

I'm completely jealous about you being so close to a Margaritaville! The closest one to NYC is the one they're opening at Mohegan Sun in CT this summer but that's still a good three hours away. I just found out that there are a few Cheeseburger in Paradise's on Long Island and in Jersey. They're part of the Margaritaville franchise and are owned by Jimmy Buffett but I don't know if the restaurant's as good. Have you ever been?

THEY ARE!

there is one of those in myrtle beach, too.. and we went there to check it out! they even have the same adirondack chairs in the waiting area! the menu and overall atmosphere is the same, just toned down a bit (aka: no volcanoes). my mom SWEARS by the margaritas there and we've been trying to perfect them since we got back!

THEY ARE!

there is one of those in myrtle beach, too.. and we went there to check it out! they even have the same adirondack chairs in the waiting area! the menu and overall atmosphere is the same, just toned down a bit (aka: no volcanoes). my mom SWEARS by the margaritas there and we've been trying to perfect them since we got back!

I'm SOOO excited to check it out now! I keep telling all my cousins and friends how great the restaurant is but none of them are as obsessed with Disney as I am so they don't run down to Orlando every summer :lmao: Now I have a way to show them what they've been missing all these years ;) I'm so excited to get my Margaritaville fix that I'm looking into heading over there this weekend.

Wasting away again in Margaritaville... searching for my lost shaker of salt (salt! salt! salt!)

:lmao:

That definitely sounds like a plan! Unfortunately, I'm not THAT close, but I'll deal.. haha.

So, I am trying to convince my parents to take me to Disney as my 21st birthday gift! I mean, it would be a gift to themselves and my brother as well, but it would be in honor of the best day of their lives (aka: my birthday). it's coming up in september and i just want to have a drink with an umbrella in it at disney!

but it would be in honor of the best day of their lives (aka: my birthday).

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

All it ever takes is a drink with a little umbrella in it to make everything better :rotfl2: You're right, that would be a great present because not only is it something you'd LOVE, but it's something you'd all be able to enjoy ;) Have they mentioned anything about it?

We haven't really discussed it seriously... I ordered the Vacation Planning DVD (like i need it) and kind of dropped a few hints... they haven't said a flat-out no, so... I am still gonna work on them! haha!

i think im going to hit the sheets and fall asleep to what not to wear-- what a life! talk to you later!

We haven't really discussed it seriously... I ordered the Vacation Planning DVD (like i need it) and kind of dropped a few hints... they haven't said a flat-out no, so... I am still gonna work on them! haha!

i think im going to hit the sheets and fall asleep to what not to wear-- what a life! talk to you later!

Keep me updated on how all the persuading goes! Night :goodvibes

haha yea... ive been hanging around in the teen boards cause im not in the CP... so i really had nothing to talk about in here.. thank god for this thread...

anyway, im a freshman in college.. majoring in biology.. listen to pretty much everything except country... i do lean more towards rock though... my fav bands are linkin park, skillet, muse, avenged sevenfold, hoobastank, starting line, all american rejects, cobra starship, death by stereo, ill nino, three days grace, breaking benjamin, senses fail, hawthorne heights, paramore, within temptation, rise against, Thousand Foot Krutch, and the gym class heroes... theres a lot more, but i cant think of any of them at the top of my head now...and umm.. yea.. hello lol

haha yea... ive been hanging around in the teen boards cause im not in the CP... so i really had nothing to talk about in here.. thank god for this thread...

anyway, im a freshman in college.. majoring in biology.. listen to pretty much everything except country... i do lean more towards rock though... my fav bands are linkin park, skillet, muse, avenged sevenfold, hoobastank, starting line, all american rejects, cobra starship, death by stereo, ill nino, three days grace, breaking benjamin, senses fail, hawthorne heights, paramore, within temptation, rise against, Thousand Foot Krutch, and the gym class heroes... theres a lot more, but i cant think of any of them at the top of my head now...and umm.. yea.. hello lol

Hey PowerMonkey! Isn't Muse awesome? I've always loved them but I finally got to see them live at Bamboozle last May and they're INSANE live. They sound better than they do on their records, it was crazy! Have you ever gotten a chance to see them?

Muse is definitely amazing! sadly, i havent gotten to seem them live yet... and its great to hear that they sound better live than they do in studio! most bands these days sound terrible live haha, so its nice to hear that they dont need all of that digital altering to sound good :)

Muse is definitely amazing! sadly, i havent gotten to seem them live yet... and its great to hear that they sound better live than they do in studio! most bands these days sound terrible live haha, so its nice to hear that they dont need all of that digital altering to sound good :)

I know! I've heard so many bands live where I was like what the hell is this?! :lmao: I'm glad to say that Muse definitely isn't one of them. Definitely see them live if you get the chance!

So since this is a Disney board, what's everyone's favorite Disney movies?!

HEY! I saw your post on the TB, so I figured I'd head over!
There are a few more college aged people over there that we can probably expect to see here.

I've been on the TB for a WHILE, and I've ventured over here a few times, but I'm not in the CP so it's tough to find thing to talk about.

Anyways, I'm Caitlin, 18 years old, in my first year of University.
I'm majoring in French & Drama :goodvibes finding first year pretty awesome.
I have a boyfriend who goes to a different university than me, he lives on campus (it's about an hour away) it's totally tough being away from him.
We've been together for...over a year and a half. ish. :goodvibes
He's never been to WDW and we're taking him with us this august. w00t. :)

Anyways, I'm totally looking forward to chatting with some fellow college-aged DISers

:hippie: Caitlin

ETA: AAh! I forgot to add my MUSIC!
Okay here we go;
I like lots of folk/folk-rock music, acoustic, alternative, 1930s-1950s jazz (i'm such a geezer!!), oldies, and some french music.
Fave artists:
Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Bobby Darrin, Perry Como, Edith Piaf, Matt Costa, Ella Fitzgerald, Glenn Miller Orchestra, Helen Forrest, Death Cab for Cutie, Damien Rice, Kimya Dawson (&The Moldy Peaches), Dashboard Confessional, Belle & Sebastian, Tracy Chapman, Rufus Wainwright, The Tragically Hip, Metric, The Dresden Dolls, Vera Lynn, The Shins, The SIlversun Pickups, Attack in Black & Elvis.

I'm more of a movie nerd though.
Also have a SLIGHT obsession with Kate Winslet. (L)

Yay, a post on the College board that's not about the CP! ((not that I don't mind them, I just am not doing the CP until after I graduate)).

I'm Laura, and currently a sophomore at Gettysburg College. I'm a double major in History and Theatre Arts. I honestly have no idea what I want to do with this degree, but I still have a couple years before I need to figure that out. :)

I'm heavily involved in my drama department. I am currently the Mexican Woman in "A Streetcar Named Desire" as well as in the Directing class which I will be directing a 10 minute scene and a 10 minute one-act during the course of this semester. woot.

Fav music: Well, I love Broadway musicals, and they consist of over half my music, so I'll start there... Les Miserables, Rent, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Avenue Q, and Aida are my top favs.
Normal music-wise, I love The Fray, Panic! at the Disco, Ben Folds, Carrie Underwood, and Justin Timberlake. I also have a guilty pleasure of late 90s/early 2000 pop music (ie, Nsync, Backstreet Boys, Christina Aguileira, Britney Spears, etc.) lol

My favorite disney movie is hands down, Newsies. It's sooo cheesy, but it also has a 17 year-old Christian Bale singing and dancing, so all is good there. XD. Enchanted has topped my list too, as well as Aladdin, Hercules, Cars, and Pocahantas.

ETA: AAh! I forgot to add my MUSIC!
Okay here we go;
I like lots of folk/folk-rock music, acoustic, alternative, 1930s-1950s jazz (i'm such a geezer!!), oldies, and some french music.
Fave artists:
Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Bobby Darrin, Perry Como, Edith Piaf, Matt Costa, Ella Fitzgerald, Glenn Miller Orchestra, Helen Forrest, Death Cab for Cutie, Damien Rice, Kimya Dawson (&The Moldy Peaches), Dashboard Confessional, Belle & Sebastian, Tracy Chapman, Rufus Wainwright, The Tragically Hip, Metric, The Dresden Dolls, Vera Lynn, The Shins, The SIlversun Pickups, Attack in Black & Elvis.

30's-50's jazz is still alive and well here in NY! There are a lot of great jazz clubs where people are still trying to be Frank Sinatra :lmao:

I'm Laura, and currently a sophomore at Gettysburg College. I'm a double major in History and Theatre Arts. I honestly have no idea what I want to do with this degree, but I still have a couple years before I need to figure that out. :)

I LOVE theater! A lot. Broadway is one of my favorite things in the world :love: We go see shows all the time and they're all so amazing. I also love a lot of soundtracks - isn't Spring Awakening amazing? It's no Rent (my favorite ever!) but I love a lot of the songs on there. I still haven't seen the show, though. Hairspray is also amazing, and the Michael Damian cast recording of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat! That was my very first Broadway show back when I was five and I still remember every minute of it, it was that good! :rotfl: Have you seen any Broadway show?

Where are you guys from?

Hey! I'd love someone to college-talk with. Although I am younger than most of you, I will be starting college in the next few months. I'm thinking a major in psychology with a minor in spanish language. It would really work well with my 'want' (I guess that's the right word) of being a social worker with DCFS.

As far as music, right now I'm really into 50's-60's stuff. Petula Clark is one of my favorites at the moment. I swear I've listened to 'Downtown' over 20 times today. I also like the Carpenters, Julie London, Frank Sinatra. Oldy stuff, I feel sometimes like I belong with the 50 year old age group!

Oh and since you asked, I'm from Arkansas. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter