• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TERRIFIC TEN! A Birthday Celebration at the WORLD!!!!

Sorry that I have been gone so long...working on presenting my final project for grad school! Graduation is coming and oh...I can practically smell it. Been really crazy here, and am trying to get this next day in! Looking to finish tonight....

The next day dawned bright and early but we DID NOT. :rotfl: It was going to be a slow day at the pool with a much anticipated adr in the evening. So we got up and had a well-rounded breakfast...

100_0855_zpscba8f5c1.jpg

Yes. That is pizza. But it is also vacation and that's what matters. Priorities, people! :lmao:

Hubby enjoying not having to rush off to work!
100_0856_zps0b34f324.jpg

Me and the girls ready to catch a few hours of pool time! Nope. Didn't wait an hour!
100_0860_zpsdc18264b.jpg

My superhero, Fatdaddy.
100_0861_zpsc1e7543e.jpg

Finally ready. Let's go!
100_0862_zps6dd05088.jpg

Now, I've told y'all that we were staying at the Orange Lake Resort. Can I say that it is really nice? The water park (another way of saying *pool extrodinaire* was very enjoyable and the kids had a ball. There were plenty of benches for seating and the landscaping was wonderful. Two small picky things: I didn't like how you had to scrounge for shade (all the shady benches were taken, and they were few in number!) and I didn't like that you had to pay to use an inner tube! $9! Seemed like a lot for an inner tube for a day.:mad: As the week continued, though, I found out that the ones who paid would give them away to others who hadn't, and the kids (yes, teenagers with summer jobs) eventually got tired of telling the ones without the identifying wristbands to give 'em back! They were only wanted by our kids when we were in the lazy river, and since folk were passing them around we didn't bother to buy. The kids didn't want them anyway! Whatever...

Anyway, so the pool was nice. Restaurants, drinks, spirits and coffee (yes! in midday 90 degree heat! :confused:). After sunscreening them down, we set them free!
100_0863_zpsfea3f1b9.jpg

I enjoyed a book and the finer things in life....peace and quiet!
100_0864_zpsaba5ffc3.jpg

100_0865_zpse58ab2b8.jpg

See the slide in the background? Lots of fun! The kids enjoyed this slide very much.
100_0866_zpsdc4341aa.jpg

100_0867_zps91292b71.jpg

A wider view from the bathrooms. You can see the zero entry from here!
100_0868_zps9c2eb12e.jpg

At about 2 o'clock, we cried uncle and decided to return back to the room. We wanted to take a nice nap and get ready...we had plans for this evening!
100_0869_zps8acaecb8.jpg

At about 4:30, we emerged from the resort to head back to Downtown Disney (can you tell we really like Downtown Disney)? We had been given a special request from a certain someone that we needed to fulfill. Who can find the hidden mickey????
100_0872_zps1ccf8051.jpg

Munchkin is hungry, but she's gonna hafta wait!!!
100_0873_zps33a97672.jpg

"H" marks the spot. Where in the world are we going to???
100_0874_zps6578d563.jpg

We met up with this gentleman as we passed the buses. We asked him a question about our plans for our evening's adr and he gave us a great bit of help. I had to take a pic of the bus driver! He was soooo sweet to the kids and they just loved him.
100_0875_zpsf12dfe9c.jpg

Then we headed off into the Downtown Disney area through Pleasure Island!
100_0876_zps05256ba0.jpg

The kids saw this spot and wanted to stop for a picture..."Can we eat here, mom?" Nope! Got something else to do! But I did take a pic...
100_0877_zps7539f9e9.jpg

I just love the atmosphere. Disney doesn't miss a trick, do they?
100_0878_zpsa781de53.jpg

100_0879_zps675dd3eb.jpg

Aha! Can you tell where we've been coerced to follow????
100_0880_zps18055d8d.jpg

You can't leave me hanging!!!

I have never understood that about having to rent the tubes at some resorts! Silliness if you ask me! Sigh! Glad there were some nice people around though. I mean, really, are you going to get $9 worth of fun out of one tube in a day??

I have a feeling I know where you going and if it's that place I have heard bad reviews so I am interested in hearing what you think.

You can't leave me hanging!!!

I have never understood that about having to rent the tubes at some resorts! Silliness if you ask me! Sigh! Glad there were some nice people around though. I mean, really, are you going to get $9 worth of fun out of one tube in a day??

it's all part of my evil plan! mwahahahaha!:laughing:

that tube rental thing really stunk, and i can't understand the need to create a classist society in a pool for goodness sakes....oh well. most folk didn't give a flip about the whole thing and would just give the tubes away when they left or leave them floating around. as it was, we didn't really use them anyway because the idea was so offensive to us that we resisted using them....we were making a POINT. :teacher:

Just joining in on your TR... and really enjoying it! I always read so many TR (and plan my trips) with so much park time, its nice to read your report about just enjoying vacation, family and a little Disney on the side. Also, your kids are super adorable.

Okay....last we talked, I was telling you that we had to keep a promise to a little boy. Well, let's go on inside the Lego Store (again!) and see what that promise was about!

100_0880_zps74f19aac.jpg

When we were last at the Lego Store, we saw this sign and immediately had a mini coup to our plans of what we (read *parents*) wanted to do this date!
100_0886_zps1bb92a25.jpg

The youngest two are big fans of ANYTHING Lego, and of course, we had to come back by on this date to make SUPERMAN, who is Fatdaddy's greatest hero along with Batman! So we got in line, while the others played with the legos that were available.

100_0885_zpsd5626279.jpg

100_0884_zps2fd21851.jpg

So cool.....wearing daddy's shades!
100_0883_zps482d5ed3.jpg

Munchkin got bored and wanted to look around. I took her to Little Miss Matched...she LOVES this store!
100_0887_zps91276ef2.jpg

"Mom? Can I have yet another pair of flip flops???"
100_0888_zps7bc86774.jpg

"Or another dress???"
100_0889_zps888101c0.jpg

I hurried her away before she spent any more of my money! :laughing: Had to take this quick pic though, 'cause it's Pooh and Tigger and Piglet, and you gotta do it!
100_0890_zpsd3d2bc09.jpg

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....Lego ranch, that is.
100_0891_zps13b5b98d.jpg

The younger two were having quite a ball! See the serious faces?
100_0892_zpse28fb5cb.jpg

100_0894_zpsf5cc2edd.jpg

Me and munchkin's construction!
100_0893_zps8d0c41bf.jpg

Ta-da!
100_0895_zps29809c82.jpg

100_0897_zps32d203a9.jpg

Can I say that this activity was cool???? It was entirely free, so of course, that was a plus! Free souvenirs are always welcome. :love:

A quick pic of my own personal Hulk!
100_0898_zps6d2cfdb7.jpg

And we are on our way! Where to next?
100_0899_zps8fa5de4a.jpg

100_0900_zpsc7d40036.jpg

100_0901_zpse0f29c07.jpg

100_0902_zps481533ca.jpg

I was wrong. I thought you were going to eat then and I though you were going to that chicken place. Which I can't think of the name right now, but I hear bad reviews about it all the time, though I did hear a good one not too long ago.

Yes, Claire loves the Lego store now too. She could spend hours in there, me not so much. It's too crowded and hot.

We decided to kill a little more time....DH wanted to see the ESPN store...of course! Fatdaddy found something he liked.

100_0903_zpsb19f59c6.jpg

I went to another store with the girls and we found something we liked!

100_0904_zps2c7d21ba.jpg

We soon walked away and saw this over by the buses....what's all this about?

100_0905_zps0f7942f6.jpg

They were giving free demonstrations of the new Wiis! Of course the males went bonkers and put their feet down--WE MUST STOP. Okay! Alright! We'll stop! :rotfl:

100_0907_zpsae6f26ca.jpg

As it was, we girlies were kinda curious too.

100_0908_zpsf1b75ddc.jpg

100_0909_zps08b3a944.jpg

After a few minutes of play, I revolted! WE MUST GO. So we went! And got on a bus.....

100_0910_zps9ab810f4.jpg

Find the mickey! You know where we are going, don't you? :cloud9:

100_0911_zpsf4c0f716.jpg

100_0913_zpsc87d89c9.jpg

Come on in, cousins!

100_0916_zpsf1365815.jpg

I was sooooo excited. I had read about this place for years, but had never had the chance to go! Last time we were here, we couldn't make it (I have no earthly idea why---world war 3 or something???). I wasn't about to miss this place again. I wanted to see if what everyone said was true or not! TODAY WAS THE DAY! :banana:

Ladybug held the buzzer! We waited about 30 minutes for our rezzie...and we were HUNGRY.

100_0917_zpsa8402bb3.jpg

100_0918_zps275beb25.jpg

Beginning to feel it, now! Come ooonnnnnn! Call us already! We had a perfect (PERFECT) time for dining! We had an adr for 8:15. How perfect is that? I had wanted to be next to a window, and had requested it as we checked in. It took them 30 minutes to get it, but when we finally got it, we got great seats!

100_0921_zps99650724.jpg

So how did it go?

Come on in, cousins, the fire is lit. Food is roasting in the pit. ;)

100_0941_zps9cb05f24.jpg

A little greenery so that I can pretend to be healthy tonight. I liked it! Can't speak on previous salad dressings, but I know that the salad went over well with our family. The salad was gone and they refilled our bowl for us. We ate well. Not so much the bread though....
100_0923_zpsffb18c73.jpg

Deliciousness. Deliciousness! I wish I could have eaten more than I did! The kids loved the chicken wings and the pot stickers, well, let's just say they were mainly mine. MINE. DH doesn't eat wings :-)confused: I know! What in the WORLD?!?) so he refrained. He had a few potstickers, but didn't really partake in those either. Oh well! More for me! I slowed myself down, because I wanted to try everything.

100_0924_zpsd7f9207a.jpg

Ukelele Lady! I have heard that she was annoying to some people. I gotta say that I really liked her! She was good at engaging the kids and the surrounding tables. If you didn't want to participate, you could refrain, but I think that if you come to this restaurant it's important to know that she is just doing her job. I liked it, and so did the kids. I got about a thousand leis from her. Really, can you have too many???? :hippie:

100_0925_zps2cf3d840.jpg

Time for a race! The kids liked this alot. The younger ones more so.
100_0929_zps66b39e73.jpg

While the kids were playing, the waiters collected our dirty dishes and bread. We didn't really like the bread...tasted like old king's hawaiian. Ugh. But! When the kids finished and returned to the table....the feast began.

Sorry about the half eaten food...we were enjoying it very much! Hubby LOVED the steak!

100_0931_zps6d4ef72a.jpg

100_0932_zps140da3f5.jpg

Our munchkin has a shellfish sensitivity and we alerted the waiters to not bring her any shrimp. When he heard that, the chef himself came out and discussed with us that the shrimp along with the pork was to be avoided! There is a hoisin sauce that they saute the pork in that has shrimp added, so he made a special portion just for her!!! WOW. Just....wow. Had to take a pic of this guy, and yes! I reported his excellent service to Disney. :thumbsup2 Awesome! I think this may help someone else--good to know for those who eat the pork, yet have a sensitivity/allergy to shellfish/shrimp!

100_0933_zps34809781.jpg

'Cause it's her birthday! :wizard:

100_0934_zps14ab53fd.jpg

Then Wishes started. Oh. I know that it may seem really cheesy to some of you, but I have to tell ya....it brought tears to my eyes. Because my hubby and I are teachers, and being in NC as an educator is hard, we have to save our pennies to be able to come to such a place for a week. It was a magical moment we shared with our little ones who were so happy and excited to experience it. I felt blessed. Do you know what I mean? :love: :cloud9:

AND THEN.....

100_0935_zps68a7f4c6.jpg

I have no words. You were right. I'll just leave it at that. :faint:

I need more LEIS! (Think Will Ferrell, and you'll get it!)
100_0938_zpsefd7ebe6.jpg

100_0939_zps9c1b5be6.jpg

100_0940_zps79c98df9.jpg

Because it's necessary to show the tiki gods you appreciate their hospitality...

100_0942_zps20aa0a92.jpg

Did we enjoy ourselves? YES. Do I think it is worth visiting? YES. Is the food good? YES--for meatatarians. Shaka, baby! And more leis...

100_0944_zps266e2347.jpg

Went home. My waistband felt like... :crowded:

Tomorrow, I think we'll get MAGICAL! pixiedust:

Just joining in on your TR... and really enjoying it! I always read so many TR (and plan my trips) with so much park time, its nice to read your report about just enjoying vacation, family and a little Disney on the side. Also, your kids are super adorable.

thank you! i hope you like it! last time we did disney, we went COMMANDO STYLE. and while it was still enjoyable, we actually liked the slower pace of this trip and took the chance to do what we wanted to do--things that are outside the parks.

the parks were the focal point of our first trip to disney because, well, that's what everyone else always talked about! but i find that there is a lot that is missed by ignoring all the other things this place has to offer that are inexpensive or free! also, the slower pace gave us the chance to more effectively execute our plans for the day. next time we come, we may do commando again cause the kiddies will be older and more able to roll with the adults. or we may just do a couple parks and immerse ourselves in those parks alone. i love how you can pick and choose which way your vacation will run...this was a pretty great vacation for us and i hope someone can see a new way of experiencing disney! :cloud9:

OOH!! I posted the other day on my PTR about our upcoming ressie at O'Hana!!!! I cannot WAIT to try it!!!! :banana:

Funny though, *I* can't eat pork. It's sad, because, I mean, what is better than a slab of country ham (And I think since your from the south, you KNOW what I mean, right??)?!?! I have always had amazing service from the chefs- only ONE time was I treated anything but great. Basically the chef at CRT was like "oh you have non-pork options" instead of helping me! :sad2: Everyone else has been super great about my issues and very accommodating!

Mmmmmm! Yes. Ham is definately a favorite of mine! I can't eat it like I used to unfortunately. But I do think that 'Ohana did a magnificent job with our little girl. It's the little things that Disney does that makes the extra cost so worth it to me. Be sure and request seating near the windows if you are going to be there during Wishes. When are you going?

Mmmmmm! Yes. Ham is definately a favorite of mine! I can't eat it like I used to unfortunately. But I do think that 'Ohana did a magnificent job with our little girl. It's the little things that Disney does that makes the extra cost so worth it to me. Be sure and request seating near the windows if you are going to be there during Wishes. When are you going?

Our trip is over Spring Break in March- as you know, it's hard to get the "good" dates when you are dealing with a teacher's schedule! :rolleyes: I don't think we'll be late enough for Wishes- our ressie is earlier in the evening. My girls are pretty tight on bedtime still. I really want to try O'hana though, so fireworks or not, we're GOING!

Pork seems to mess with people more than most realize. But I just cannot even taste it anymore without making me sick. :sad2: My poor husband… he makes pork chops and stuff for the girls, but they don't really like it. I guess because we don't eat it often, they just don't appreciate it. They do love bacon- but they enjoy turkey bacon as much as regular bacon!

Wonderful update :thumbsup2 I love the photo of your DH and kids at the Lego store with the serious faces as they are building legos! That is how I look whenever DS4 gets a new Lego kit and asks for assistance. I usually say "wait for Daddy on this one" :lmao: I truly believe that architects and engineers write the instruction manuals for those kits! Love, love the 'Ohana dinner :thumbsup2. My family got to have dinner there for the first time on our trip this past May and it was such a great meal and experience. Can't wait to read about your magical day!

Wonderful update :thumbsup2 I love the photo of your DH and kids at the Lego store with the serious faces as they are building legos! That is how I look whenever DS4 gets a new Lego kit and asks for assistance. I usually say "wait for Daddy on this one" :lmao: I truly believe that architects and engineers write the instruction manuals for those kits! Love, love the 'Ohana dinner :thumbsup2. My family got to have dinner there for the first time on our trip this past May and it was such a great meal and experience. Can't wait to read about your magical day!

girl, they are too funny for me....all that seriousness! At Disney! 'Ohana was all that I'd hoped it would be for us. I'm sure I was just excited and yeah, it did affect my opinion, but that doesn't change my mind. I am hooked. :bitelip: Hubby fell in LOVE. All that meat. He was ridiculous by the end of the night and I seriously considered stopping him. He finally subsided after a few "shaming looks" from me. :rotfl:

A few more pix that I found of our lei obsession at 'Ohana's....I'm sure some of you think that this is shameful...I love these things!

2013-06-19215537_zps4f607edc.jpg

2013-06-19215529_zps58fba73b.jpg

So. It is the morning of our second park day. We have adequately recovered from our bacchanal at 'Ohana's and are ready to see the park with the Big Idea! :cheer2: Won't deal with too much of the morning events; we got up, we got food and we got ourselves to the TTC! We took the monorail up to that nostalgic, magical place...the beautiful and wondrous Magic Kingdom.

100_0945_zps12efa1ac.jpg

We arrived right after rope drop and the crowds weren't too bad at all! I love getting to the park early in the morning...makes pix like this possible. See the castle? Ain't she purty? Waited a long time to see her again, and yes. It's worth it.

100_0946_zps8bdcfbc3.jpg

We scuttled on. We wanted to do some different things than what we had done previously. So we headed to....
100_0947_zpsd483a4d6.jpg

100_0949_zps39493fbd.jpg

Right. Got derailed by the kid's interest! :rotfl2: Oh, well. They are on vacation too! I took a pic as they played around a bit. These trees were really cool!

100_0950_zpsd0503dbc.jpg

My gearhead hubby saw something he HAD to do!

100_0951_zpsd63c859a.jpg

100_0952_zpsc132abec.jpg

Yeah! Let's do this! We like cars!

100_0953_zps174745a4.jpg

I paired up with Ladybug and she was totally excited to drive. She took it VERY seriously. Buckle up!

100_0954_zps3097175a.jpg

100_0955_zps8bcb8767.jpg

We went about, oh, I'd say negative point 3 miles per hour. :crazy2: But hey, she was being a safe driver! After we left the driving attraction (forgot the name--anyone?) we moved on to something a little more mad...

100_0957_zps5877fe01.jpg

100_0958_zps22af7e42.jpg

I just love how Disney brings to life all the stories that I loved as a child (and still love!). And I just love how my kids are doing the same thing. :goodvibes

But here's the problem. They wanna get on. And hubby can't because he gets sick. But you know what? So do I! Who do you think does it?

100_0959_zps6823cbee.jpg

100_0960_zps4832a0ba.jpg

Yes! Yes. I am that fool. Can you see my exuberance and joy???? :crazy2:

We got off as the children bounded away, totally immune to the spinning, spinning, spinning. On our nice walk away from the teacups, we saw...

100_0961_zps5e790f31.jpg

OMG! I love this chick!!! But we didn't stop, because she had just left. :sad: My girls freaked out too. We decided to try and catch up with her later.

But then I spied my FAVORITE CHARACTER. GOOFY!!!!

100_0962_zps0bcd9c8d.jpg

They were about to do a show! We had never stopped to watch a show. It was only 10. Let's stop and see what we can see!

cont'd.

Last edited:
Look how close we got! Like I said, the crowds were really not there this morning. We had some serious pixie dust!

100_0963_zpsf7e8b9ce.jpg

100_0964_zpscf5ff3d6.jpg

I was really surprised that the eyes blinked. When did that start? Or has it always been like that?

100_0965_zps14a1a595.jpg

The girlies started to cheer with the princesses...

100_0966_zpsc19b5e00.jpg

And that was the end of the show. Really neat! I get it now. Maybe in the future, I'll stop for more shows and parades! Usually I am hunting down the shortest lines for rides during these times, but I might just change my mind in the near future. Who knows?

We decided to get onto Big Thunder Mountain. By now the crowds were really starting to pick up! Looka dis!

100_0968_zps1aeb302f.jpg

The interactive line was pretty interesting...the kiddies had fun and so did I. The bird cages were cool!

100_0969_zps407b8881.jpg

Ooooooohhh! Getting excited now! All my kids love roller costers, just like their parents! They got it honestly. :)

100_0970_zpsd57ed249.jpg

Up, up, up!

100_0971_zps7c6a7dae.jpg

Got this pic as we began to slow down...can we go again, mom? That was fun!

100_0972_zps2cad4c65.jpg

But the line was too long. So we left, and I decided to partake in something a little "Mickey"! The kids shared and I shared with the hubby. He ate the eyes first. That creeped me out! How can you eat his EYES?
100_0973_zpsa89dbc98.jpg

We hopped along! Let's get into space! The final frontier! Okay, wrong show, but the sentiment is the same! We got onto Space Mountain.
100_0974_zps797bcc10.jpg

It has occured to me at that time that I haven't done many face pix...I need to show off our faces! So I took some pix...

Fatdaddy is glad. He loves astronauts and wants to be one if his dream of becoming Spiderman doesn't pan out. :lmao:
100_0975_zps90956923.jpg

Yeah! Another roller coasterrrrrrrrr!!! Munchkin does crazy eyes pretty well...wonder if I should pay attention to that???? :rotfl2:
100_0977_zps44c86eb7.jpg

Dear hubby! He loves rides and is feeling pretty good. Such a sweetie.
100_0978_zpsfd44a617.jpg

We piled in.
100_0980_zpsa19a587b.jpg

Stolen pic. See how Disney tries to deter me? I am undaunted. I take the pic anyway....cause I love the kids faces here!
100_0981_zps721a3353.jpg

Hubby looks a bit crunched...I find this hilarious! Relax, dude! Guess it's hard being kinda tall!
100_0982_zps5c30851c.jpg

I take pix of the scenery on the way out. It's almost as good as the ride itself!
100_0983_zps2d2a5948.jpg

Hey! It's me!
100_0985_zpsbc65cf80.jpg

Yes. I am country. I took two. It's not everyday that I go to outer space.
100_0986_zpsa911d0be.jpg

What next???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter