Temporarily Locked: Standy Line Open. Boarding Group: Rise of the Resistance *No Spoilers* Thread, Read 1st Post before commenting.

"Closing all extra apps may help your speed. Turning off VPN is beneficial." this is from1st post
what is VPN? We don't go until January 2022, hoping crowds are on the lower side Do I really need to book 2 days of HS? will have a hopper pass too for 5 days

"Closing all extra apps may help your speed. Turning off VPN is beneficial." this is from1st post
what is VPN? We don't go until January 2022, hoping crowds are on the lower side Do I really need to book 2 days of HS? will have a hopper pass too for 5 days

VPN is a virtual private network you might use to help protect the security of your Internet connection. Since you're asking what it is, I'd guess it's likely you aren't using one.

VPN is a virtual private network you might use to help protect the security of your Internet connection. Since you're asking what it is, I'd guess it's likely you aren't using one.

Oh, that makes sense like from an employer?
I think I have that at work but how would I know if it’s on my phone? I do have some work apps that I abs to download for Covid as I work at a hospital. I can ask the IT people at work! Thanks I would not have even known to check

What is the best way to refresh? My only 2 options are pull down or hit the back button? Also how successful is getting the 1 pm BG? Debating on whether to go to another park if I don’t get a BG or just try later? I realize there’s no magic answer for the 1 pm BG but just curious. I had been practicing before but the recent changes have gotten me a bit doubtful. Last question: is it better to go through the AT AT screen or through the virtual queue in my plans? Thanks.
I was there last week, with zero practice, having read a million different guides on the subject, sometimes with conflicting methods.
I did a speed test with Wifi and Cellular, saw Wifi was faster in our room (All-Star Movies) and stuck with that.
I don’t know how it used to be before, but there is a dedicated “Refresh” button at the Join Virtual Queue section that you need to hit like a maniac at 6:59. It will eventually turn to “Join” and be a different color. Don’t think about it just smash it non stop.
We got boarding group 33, got called at around 11:30-ish. Used Rider Switch so that one parent could stay outside with our autistic son, while our daughter got to ride twice!

Fantastic ride.

I was there last week, with zero practice, having read a million different guides on the subject, sometimes with conflicting methods.
I did a speed test with Wifi and Cellular, saw Wifi was faster in our room (All-Star Movies) and stuck with that.
I don’t know how it used to be before, but there is a dedicated “Refresh” button at the Join Virtual Queue section that you need to hit like a maniac at 6:59. It will eventually turn to “Join” and be a different color. Don’t think about it just smash it non stop.
We got boarding group 33, got called at around 11:30-ish. Used Rider Switch so that one parent could stay outside with our autistic son, while our daughter got to ride twice!

Fantastic ride.
Thank you so much for this. I'm happy to hear some recent feedback about getting boarding groups while at the All-Stars. Also, we were debating using rider switch for RotR, so I'm glad to see it worked well for you!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ke-never-before-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/
Big change coming soon! RotR virtual queue to be paused starting September 23rd!

Per Disney Parks Blog:
"As we ramp up to “The World’s Most Magical Celebration” honoring our 50th anniversary, we’re continuing to enhance experiences thanks to the feedback from our guests.

We know our guests love choice and flexibility when planning their time in a theme park—which is why, starting Sept. 23, we will pause the use of virtual queue for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, and guests at Disney’s Hollywood Studios may experience this incredible attraction using a traditional standby queue for the first time since it opened in 2019."

Disney is trying to make my planning brain have an aneurysm 😅

So the first part of our upcoming trip will still be on virtual queue, but then when we visit a second time, we'll have the traditional queue.

Curious how noticeable it'll be for the rest of the park if more people are physically in line at ROTR.

Though honestly maybe one of the nice things is the line may be smaller at the end of the night so you could ride a second time in a single day?

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ke-never-before-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/
Big change coming soon! RotR virtual queue to be paused starting September 23rd!

Per Disney Parks Blog:
"As we ramp up to “The World’s Most Magical Celebration” honoring our 50th anniversary, we’re continuing to enhance experiences thanks to the feedback from our guests.

We know our guests love choice and flexibility when planning their time in a theme park—which is why, starting Sept. 23, we will pause the use of virtual queue for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, and guests at Disney’s Hollywood Studios may experience this incredible attraction using a traditional standby queue for the first time since it opened in 2019."
This line....."including its potential use at Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance at a later date, or from time to time." Can you imagine them adding it back and taking it away based on crowd levels....what a mess that could lead to.

So the first part of our upcoming trip will still be on virtual queue, but then when we visit a second time, we'll have the traditional queue.

Curious how noticeable it'll be for the rest of the park if more people are physically in line at ROTR.

Though honestly maybe one of the nice things is the line may be smaller at the end of the night so you could ride a second time in a single day?
Yeah, I'd have to say, without seeing right away, MMRR and Slinky Dog wait times will go down about 25% each.

Honestly, I'm glad I got 1 ride in at WDW and 2 at DL using the VQ. I'll be less likely to ride standby. Maybe I'd use IA$ if I really wanted to see it, but I may just enjoy the shorter lines around the park

This line....."including its potential use at Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance at a later date, or from time to time." Can you imagine them adding it back and taking it away based on crowd levels....what a mess that could lead to.
Disneyland did this for Indiana Jones for a month or so this summer. I think some liked it, but it's crazy, you never know when the VQ opens.

I should say, they did this during the day any time the line was deemed too long.

Last edited:

Per Disney Parks Blog:

Thank you. I updated posts 1 and 2 of this thread.

Translation: You guys asked for this 3 hour line!
Sadly I'm guessing 3 hours is conservative. :sad:

I can't remember the exact details that were announced for Genie. Could it be that RotR becomes all IA$ (or possibly IA$ + standby)? I hope not but with this 'pause' it makes me wonder....

Ugh! Wish they would announce more details about Genie! I've tried to be patient but this one is tipping me in the 'we need more details ASAP' category.

Last edited:

This is our trip as well. I had our DHS day scheduled for 9/22 with reservations at SciFi, Droid Depot and Ogas which I was going to give up to try on the 20th for a BG then walk it forward if not successful on day 1 but now I can try in the 22nd and if not successful then cancel and just stand in line the next day. We don’t like to stand in line but it doesn’t ruin my whole day. We went when MGM studios first opened and the shortest line we waited in was 2 1/4 (sound studio) hours while the most was over 3 hours (backlot tour). We were happy to be there.

Fantastic ride.
Ok I’ve practiced forever and the first part of our trip will still be VQ. Does the refresh button appear or is it already there? I’ve been practicing but I don’t see one.

For now your at-home practice for RotR can be standing in a line with your family for 3+ hours (or more).
Didn't like the Boarding Groups? Now you can spend hours standing in line.

When practicing, be sure to include the end where you actually get to ride the darn thing. Because that is far from a guarantee with BGs that disappear in 1.2 seconds. I don’t have a problem with the BG idea, only with that being the only option. If someone wants to wait 3 hours that’s their business. And it might be me next Friday. :P

Ok I’ve practiced forever and the first part of our trip will still be VQ. Does the refresh button appear or is it already there? I’ve been practicing but I don’t see one.
I practiced some but never got as far as that day, but there was a refresh button there already. When 7:00 hit, it became “Join Boarding Group”, for the fraction of a second until I pressed it and secured a boarding group

Thank you so much for this. I'm happy to hear some recent feedback about getting boarding groups while at the All-Stars. Also, we were debating using rider switch for RotR, so I'm glad to see it worked well for you!
Thanks! It was actually quite an easy process, both securing a spot and using rider switch, and I don’t know if it’s always the case or we we’re lucky. The only complication was getting from Toy Story Land to Rise while in the pouring rain! Once we were there, it all went swimmingly. Hope you get a BG, or if you are going after the 23d, that the standby line isn’t too long!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter