Tell me about seniors and rides

IMHO, 45 is not in any way “old”. I rode all the thrill rides at age 59 Except Mission Space Orange. Space Mtn. Is getting a bit rough on the back.

I’m looking forward to going to Universal again and riding even more thrilling rides.
Just to be clear - I don't think of 45 as old either 😉 I'm just looking ahead to my 60s and beyond, hoping that physically we'll still be able to enjoy the more intense rides.

We are going in October. I just turned 62 and hubby just turned 74. I live for roller coasters and ride everything. Usually we go to Cedar Point in non-Covid times and my personal goal is to ride millennium force at least 25 times. I ride all WDW, Universal and Sea World rides as many times as I can get on. I can’t do intense spinners, but that is due to the second pregnancy in my 30s, not age. My hubby is more cautious but was when he was 34, when I met him. He took the chicken exits then. It depends whether he will do RnRC and will only do Forbidden Journey once. No Hulk Or Ripit Rideit Rocket. But he didn’t 20 years ago. He does everything else, including Space Mountain.

Interesting... I'm learning so much in this thread, I'm so glad I asked everyone 🤗
Oh, you are so young!!!! My husband and I go to WDW every year, sometimes twice a year:)
My husband is 73 and I just turned 70. We have no plans to slow down. We ride all the rides that we did when we were "younger". We also take our time and experience the ambience of WDW and their amazing imagineering touches in the architecture. It's fun to just soak up the atmosphere, but we always ride the rides that we have ridden fo r years.

When you enter WDW or DL, age doesn't matter and you are a kid again:)

63 here and for me it it also the ones that are challenging to get in out and out - SM and RnR.
You just reminded me of the time my mother (66) and mother in law(70) decided to ride astro orbiter while they were waiting for us to do space mountain. They got stuck and couldn't get off.

At age 45 back in the 1990s we were just beginning our WDW trips. RnR, Everest, BTMRR, Splash and SDMT are still must-dos. We rarely ride Space anymore, mostly because it’s too hard to get in and out, but I’ll admit that has to do more with being Pooh-sized and less with our age. We haven’t been at WDW since January and are hoping our scheduled December trip still happens so we can ride our favorites again!

I was there last September. I just turned 72 this past July and still ride everything except Space Mountain, but as someone mentioned before because of my knees I think it would be impossible for me to get out of the ride vehicle. Not that I have tried because I first and last rode Space Mountain when I was about 36. I just didn't like the feel of it. It was jerky and there was no visual stimuli to speak of. Just wasn't my thing, but I still do all the rest. Splash, Big Thunder, 7 Dwarfs, Everest, Test Track, Mission: Space, Star Tours, Tower of Terror and Millennium Falcon.

Age really has nothing to do with it. Physical condition is the actual deciding factor. I've know people in their 50's that cannot handle the rides either physically or mentally, up to their 80's that can. Maybe even older.

Last edited:
Saw the title, so just had to post that my 98 year old grandmother rode Soarin for me. :) She was mostly blind and deaf at the time and didn't get much out of it, but she knew it made me happy.

I'm 44 and have found that I can't do Space Mountain any more - too bumpy.
I haven't ridden RnR in 10 years - it was always close to too fast for me, but I bet it would be worse now.
I've only gotten so sick that I had to leave one time - that was at IoA where I rode Hulk 3 times in a row and then did Spiderman.
I would NOT recommend that - Hulk was fine, I think it was the odd perspective in Spiderman that did it. (My 55 year old friend was with me the whole time and he was fine!)

But I can ride Everest, Tower of Terror, 7dwarves all day everyday!
I think my most rides of ToT in one day is 7, but since I live in FL now, I'm hoping to top that!

I just turned 70 & still ride all the rides I’ve always ridden. There are some I’ve never ridden & never will! I love BTM, Dinosaur,Seven Dwarves & kind of enjoy Slinky. I’ve never been on Yeti as it’s never appealed to me & I get very nervous on many dark rides just because I’m claustrophobic. I DO NOT like Soarin’ - not due to my age but because I’ve always disliked heights. And, I drive, alone much of the time, from Texas. That’s probably when I’ll stop coming- when I can’t drive that far anymore!

I’m 68 and the only ride I don’t do is Space Mtn and that’s due to a sports injury to a knee. You tend to slide down in the seat during the ride so getting out at the end is a real struggle. Space Mtn at Disneyland has better ride vehicles and is no problem.

You can ride them as long as your body can take it. I am 54 and have had to stop the big coasters because I get dizzy from them when I get off. Altho, I am going to try SpM again my next trip. Everest and RnRC about did me in tho. LOL.

I will however try the new rides - Tron, GotG when they are available, at least once unless reports from people who do ride aren't good.

I'm 66, and my first trip was in 1972, my high school graduation gift. (We stayed at the Contemporary). Since having my son (now my grandkids) we go once or twice a year. Though I had made it my roll to pretty much sit out and babysit the child who was too young/small to ride a particular ride, or for nap time (I have motion sickness) I ride everything except some of the more intense motion rides, such as MFSR ans sadly, FOP. I also have slight difficulty getting out of the logs in Splash (knees). I have started using Sea bands and ginger gum, and have been able to ride Space and Thunder Mountains. I have noticed I'm slower than I used to be (we would hit the ground full on power walk), it doesn't in any way diminish my enjoyment. I am happy just being there. Sadly, we have had to cancel this year (I would be arriving today) but we have rebooked for next year. Fingers crossed! I would say that if your body is capable, you can do anything you wish there. I used to tell people that those who grew up going to amusement parks would sometimes be disappointed when they went to Disney for the first time (especially teens) because they were used to thrill, fast, roller coaster type rides, and Disney, was more of a "Look and see", an experience, You would be immersed in the experience, not zipping around at 50 miles an hour. That's how i still see Disney; as a magical experience that you can immerse yourself in.

You can ride them as long as your body can take it. I am 54 and have had to stop the big coasters because I get dizzy from them when I get off. Altho, I am going to try SpM again my next trip. Everest and RnRC about did me in tho. LOL.

I will however try the new rides - Tron, GotG when they are available, at least once unless reports from people who do ride aren't good.
I quit riding a lot of my favorites for the same reason but last time I used sea bands paired with ginger gum and had great success riding things I haven't been on for years. Dramamine did not work for me, but ginger did.

When I bring my parents (late 60s) we find that we don't repeat rides anymore, and definitely feeling (and frequently skipping) Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. But besides that, still loving Disney.

My DH,73 and I,70 are going to WDW in 29 days. We will fearlessly ride all our favorites, SM, RAR, SM,.... And any new ones that appeal. Age is just a number. Life is to be lived.🎉

I'm 61 and I still ride almost everything with the exception of RnR. Never been on Mission Space because I don't like tight places and I'll probably skip Astor Orbiter that's a one and done for me. I usually go with my younger sister and her daughter in the spring and we have a great time riding most attractions. I also go with my husband in the fall and because he gets motion sickness we can maybe ride one or two attractions per day and also have a great trip.

A bit of background -- I grew up 15 minutes from a large amusement park and worked there 7 summers, all through high school and college. Including the first crew on what is still the longest wooden coaster in the world. Ah, great memories of night rides on that bone-jarring beast!

Would you ride it today? That one is rough!

Signed,

A 48 year old

Would you ride it today? That one is rough!

Signed,

A 48 year old

Yup. I did on our visit last summer. Yes, it’s even more bone-jarring!

We live about 40 minutes from the park. When our kids were small, we had season passes every year. It’s still a fun park!

You just reminded me of the time my mother (66) and mother in law(70) decided to ride astro orbiter while they were waiting for us to do space mountain. They got stuck and couldn't get off.

That would freak me out because I don't do heights well. That's why I've never ridden that one!

My DH,73 and I,70 are going to WDW in 29 days. We will fearlessly ride all our favorites, SM, RAR, SM,.... And any new ones that appeal. Age is just a number. Life is to be lived.🎉
You guys are the same age as us:)
We do the same thing and feel the same way.
It is kind of funny to see peoples reactions to the question, "Where are you going on vacation?" We have had people state that disney is just for kids. We don't care and just say, "We love it and will go as long as we are able".
Have a great time in 29 days:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter