Tell me about Discovery Cove--have you gone???

We were at DC on 2/21 and found it to be completely relaxing. My DD calls it paradise. We loved the lazy river and practiced our snorkling there. The swim with the dolphin was great. We had Capricorn. He is a big sweetie. Just wished we could have been with him longer. The meal that we had there was very good. The free photo they took when you entered the park was the best picture of our whole family the entire vacation! It was a great day and we will plan to do it again on a future trip.

Pam

We went to Discovery Cove in May 2003. It was fabulous. My DS (now 12) just reminded me of it again the other day and said it is still the best vacation he's ever been on. The day at DC was relaxing and something very out of the ordinary. We actually planned it because we had moved to FL and our DD's favorite thing was dolphins. We knew she would love it, but was pleasantly surprised how much DS enjoyed it. That says a lot when they are both coaster fanatics. We actually threw in a day at Busch Gardens just so we could all get our coaster fix!! It was certainly worth the expense for some wonderful memories. Our dolphin was Rascal....and had just a little rascal in him.

The only thing I wish I had known before we got there was how much the photos/video cost. I was quite surprised when I walked out of there nearly $200 poorer with a video and a CD with photos on it. There wasn't any way I was leaving without the photo memories though. Worth every penny; just wish I had known ahead of time.

I was a apprehensive about going because I dont feel comfortable with extended periods under water.

I am so happy I went, I had a blast and conquered a big fear. The best part was how warm the water was, a luxury you won't find anywhere else.

I elected to not to the dolophin swim. While it looked awesome, I enjoyed watching others. The lunch was very good, too even for picky eaters.

It was so nice to be somewhere in FL that wasn't crawling with people.

We are going in August with DD7 and DS8 would an early morning dolphin swim be best (thinking of all those thunderstorms in the afternoons)

Yes it would be, but not just in case of thunder storms. If you have an early dolphin swim, you can then relax and enjoy the place without constantly clock-watching, terrified that you will miss your time slot!:teeth:

I just went this past saturday and it was wonderful. Dh & I got married last year at the WDW Swan- so this was our 1st anniversary. We had wanted to do DC last year but it would have been too expensive for many of the folks who came to our wedding. I'm glad we waited and did it together -alone.

Get there early to choose your spot-get an umbrella! We were given a 3:35 time slot for the swim- so we got our feet wet in the warm water in the lazy river. We enjoyed swimming with the schools of fish and the sting rays. They were feeding the rays so asked that we not get too close. But after doing a stingray swim in the caribbean I was fairly comfortable with these- although still surprised by the size of them!

It was neat swimming up to the shark area-hope Dh's pictures come out. Several fish swam right up to me so that I could stroke them and rather large one stayed right under my belly for several minutes as I snorkled-the woman feeding the rays said she was shocked to see this. I thought it was cool.

We had lunch around 1:30. I had heard so many good things about the food that I was really looking forward to it. I was disappointed in that they ran out of Caesar dressing for the caesar salad and really gave us an attitude when we questioned if there was any expected later. I had the lobster salad instead and it was fairly good. But it was hard to get past the attitude the server gave us.

We had our swim at 3:35 and they were running late so we didn't get out there until 4:15. I was so thrilled to be near a dolphin- this was a dream my whole life. We had Hutch- he was awesome. I was the first to kiss him and he curled his tail much higher than he did with my husband. Riding back with him was a thrill and I loved rubbing him down-what an incredible experience. well worth the money for me and dh thought it was pretty cool too.

I DID NOT GET TO THE END OF THE POSTS BEFORE POSTING THIS...SO I AM SORRY IF I REPEAT ANYTHING.

MY FAMILY WENT LAST YEAR TO DC AND IT WAS AMAZING. I BOUGHT THIS AS A SURPRISE, BUT BY THE TIME WE GOT TO MCO, EVERYONE KNEW! I KNEW ABOUT THE EXPERIENCE, AS A FRIEND WENT THE YEAR BEFORE - SO I WAS MOSTLY PREPARED FOR EVERYTHING. (I ALSO WATCHED HIS VIDEO FROM HIS EXPERIENCE) I GOT THREE DOLPHIN SWIMS, AND ONE NON-DOLPHIN SWIM. I FIGURED I COULD TAKE PICTURES. I HONESTLY DIDNT WANT TO BUY THE OVER PRICED PKGS. HOWEVER, THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE SAVING UP FOR THIS EXPERIENCE - YOU HAVE FIVE...YES FIVE YEARS TO BUY THE PICTURES THEY TAKE OF YOU AT DC. THE VIDEO NEEDS TO BE PURCHASED ASAP. THEY DO NOT HOLD THAT. I CHOSE TO BUY IT AT A LATER DATE.

Items Prices
8x10 Photo $29.99
5x7 Photo $15.99
2 Keychains $15.99
4 Wallets $15.99
Photo CD (5 images) $100.00
Video (avail. no longer than 40 days after date of swim) $59.99
Shipping Fee $7.00

YOU JUST NEED THE FOLLOWING INFO, WHICH IS ALL ON YOUR PASS FOR SEA WORLD/BUSCH GARDENS:
NAME, DATE OF SWIM, TIME OF SWIM, CABANA AND DOLPHIN. THEN THEY SEND YOU THE "PROOFS" OR THUMBNAILS ONLINE. THEY ARE TINY...SO MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT THEM PRIOR TO LEAVING THE PARK.

ON TO THE EXPERIENCE: WE GOT A 2:15 SWIM TIME - SO WE HAD TIME TO STROLL AROUND AND CHECK STUFF OUT. WE IMMEDIATELY WENT INTO THE LAZY RIVER. WE JUST SWAM AROUND. HONESTLY, I WAS A LITTLE SHAKY BECAUSE THE DEPTH OF THE WATER DRASTICALLY CHANGES. WHEN WE SUITED UP IN OUR GEAR, I MADE SURE I TOOK A LIFE VEST FOR MYSELF AS WELL AS MY SON, BECAUSE I HAVENT BEEN SWIMMING IN A LONG TIME, AND KNEW ABOUT THE WATER DEPTH (I THINK IT WAS 8 FEET IN PLACES...AND IT REALLY DROPS!!) AT THE WATERFALL, I GOT HIT IN THE HEAD THE WRONG WAY WITH SOMETHING...THAT MADE ME LOOSE MY BREATH. I HAD TO HOP UP ON THE EDGE OF THE ROCKS, AND CATCH MY BREATH BEFORE CONTINUING INTO THE AVIARY. WE SAW ONE BIRD FLY OVER...BUT DIDNT STOP THERE. ALTHOUGH I WISH I HAD. AFTER GETTING OUT OF THAT...WE HEADED OVER TO THE STING RAYS. OMG...THIS IS AWESOME. MY SON DECIDED TO HANG BACK WITH MY DAUGHTER, BUT ME AND SCOTT (HB) DECIDED TO STAY FOR THE FEEDING. THEY COME RIGHT ON YOU! THE INSTRUCTORS TELL YOU HOW TO FEED THEM, WITH FISTS SO THEY DONT TRY TO TAKE YOUR FINGER WITH IT. THEN WE WENT TO EAT LUNCH. I ENJOYED THE FOOD VERY MUCH. THE CHEESECAKE... TO DIE FOR. THEN OFF TO THE SWIM. IT WAS A VERY CLOSE ENCOUNTER FOR US. I GOT TO SWIM INSTEAD OF TAKING PICS, MY HB WANTED TO INSTEAD. OK. SURE! THE WATER IS QUITE COLD, AS THE DOLPHINS NEED TO BE IN COOLER WATER. TAKE A FEW SECONDS TO GET USED TO THE WATER...OR JUST DIVE IN! YOUR CHOICE. :) YOU SIT IN THE SHALLOWER WATER, DOING THINGS WITH THE DOLPHIN, I WONT SPOIL THAT. THE PHOTOGRAPHER CATCHES ALL THE KEY MOMENTS. THERE ARE ABOUT FOUR DOLPHIN GROUPS AT THE SAME TIME. I GOT HUTCH. (SO DID MY FRIEND WHEN HE WENT!) THEN THEY BRING YOU OUT TWO AT A TIME TO "SWIM" WITH THE DOLPHIN. IT WAS AMAZING. THEN AFTER THAT, WE WENT INTO THE LARGER PART OF THE WATER AND HUNG OUT...AND WENT BACK TO THE HOTEL (AFTER SEEING THE SLOTH! LOL)

Has anyone done the twilight program yet at DC? I am going with 9 people for a Thurs pm show. Starts at 3pm, dinner, dolphins etc.
It cost about the same but it sounded great with the dinner.

matterhorn girl

You said you have up to 5 years to purchase photos. We swam a couple of weeks ago and bought a couple of photos but I wish we got more. Can you view your photos on the web site.

Just got off the plane from Disney. Went to Discovery Cove for my birthday on June 16th.My kids were just mesmerized and laughed sooooo hard visualizing literally hundreds of fish in their path in the salt water pool and many 6 foot rays swimming below. What an experience! :flower:
My son (8 y.o.) .....said it the best...It was just "Awesome Mom" !..... :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Can't wait to go back again and be a "trainer" with the kids...my kids can't stop talking about it. Going back to disney again at Christmas!!!!!!!!

One of those moments which will forever be with them.
:cool1: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :cheer2:

Glad to hear you had fun, we are scheduled to do the Trainer program in August with the kids (daughter 8 and son 10). I can't wait, it is a surprise for them - the trip is in celebration of my husband passing the nursing exam (RN) this week! Everyone I have talked to said it was worth every penny.

laudan14 Can you view your photos on the web site.[/QUOTE said:
No, they have a number to call. I don't remember it, but if you call (407) 351 3600 ext 6515, they can give it to you.
Jessica

Matterhorn Girl said:
Video (avail. no longer than 40 days after date of swim) $59.99
I GOT HUTCH.

Actually, the video is only available for 2-3 weeks after the date of your swim. They also offer magnets and poster sized photos.
P.S...Hutch is my fiancee's favorite dolphin!! We swim with him everytime we go! (We used to work at DC, so we know all the dolphins. lol)
Jessica

We are going on 20th July! It will be our 15th wedding anniversary - aww! My mum is not swimming, but my dad, husband, daughter (10), son (7) and me are swimming. Can't wait! A real memory for the kids to share with their parents and grandparents!

:banana: I just booked this for my family as a suprise! we will be in Orlando for thanksgiving, my husband has always wanted to do this, so i booked it for thanksgiving day... boy they will be suprised!!!!! i can not wait
my 2 ds are 12, 8! they are going to flip! :bounce: i hope i can keep the secret for 5 months! ugh ;)

We did Discovery in 2001 and one of our daughters who did the dolphins considers it the most profound experience of her life. She has since that time won numerous science fair and regional exposition fair awards with her current project being a general study of the use of some sea creatures, (sorry I'm just the dad) in cancer research. She is only 16 and the cost of college and hope of scholarships looms large! I credit the fact that schools are romancing her to the inspiration she gained at Discovery. Our investment is already worth it, hopefully it will have been a very good expenditure indeed.

It was amazing - we all loved the whole day and spent far too much money on pictures and the DVD! But those wheelchairs for the sand - boy are they hard work!!!!

I went on July 29th with my boyfriend :love2: and it was the best experience ever! :goodvibes I cried when we got to touch them. For me being abel to be so close to them if a lifetime dream, so you could imagine the emotion :blush: :goodvibes . It worth every cent spend.

PS. I couldn't resist to buy the photos and the DVD. So, calculate a little extra cash for that :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter