Tell me about Discovery Cove--have you gone???

Its been 5 yrs since I've been there but at the time the lazy river was actually for snorkeling. I don't remember tubes being on it. Depends how well you float I guess.

The lazy river does not have any tubes.I have always just worn the vest instead of the wetsuit and this pretty much keeps you afloat without much effort.The lazy river does not have any wildlife in it but it does give you another way to enter the bird sanctuary.

I know that they just started to include breakfast. Does anyone know what they serve?

Also, does everyone have to wear the vest or the wet suit, or is it just an "option"?

Thanks silver angel 879. The pictures were great! Makes me want to go now! :banana:
I'll wait though, my daughter should be swimming this year and we will work on the snorkling with the boys.
Did I read in the thread that they give you snorkel gear? They made it sound like you can keep it. :confused3
Anyway still planning on WDW and the nick hotel this year. Then start saving again! :cool1:

We are booked for November 1st this year, couple of questions.

1. Can any tell me how much the photos and dvd costs to buy when you are there.
2. Would you recommend wear anything on your feet when walking around, maybe in the aviary?
3. the latest in the year we have visited orlando is mid october - so do you think the water will be cold on Nov 1st?

DVD $69.99
5 x 7 photo $15.99
you also get a complimentary photo that they take as you are entering the park
We didn't wear shoes, although my daughter wished she had them on in the afternoon when things got hot

Loved Discovery Cove. Went for our honeymoon. it was expensive but 100% worth the cost. Get everything you need, food was very good, swimming with dolphins was short but very cool. Bought the professional pictures and thought they were great, you get to pick which ones you like most.

We didn't have much time to go to Sea World but took a shuttle across to SW just before it closed and got to see Shamu.

curlybop said:
Are the Seaworld passes for everyone who visits DC or just those who do the swim w/ the dolphins? I'd LOVE to do it, but DH would have to be onshore w/ DD. If all 3 of us received passes, that would be an extra bonus.

I went on September 10th, 2001. I had already done the dolphin encounter my first visit. So I did just the visit. I got the free seaworld passes.

Course the next day, I wasn't in the mood, and they closed all the parks anyway. Florida was shut down.

When they opened seaworld again, I had the weirdest time. I walked from the curve at the entrance, to shamu's stadium, without seeing a person. Just birds and chipmunks. It was so sad.

email them and ask. But I expect you still do get them for free with the non-dolphin encounter.

Youd do get a 7day to pass to SW or Busch Gardens.You get to pick one of these parks,not both.

I just booked my 3rd trip to Discovery cove, August 16th.

They told me that you can use your 7 days at SW before/after Discovery cove. The days just start counting from when you first activate them. So we will arrive on the 12th, go to seaworld on the 13th, then ours are good till the 20th. Which is when we leave.

I tried to book tickets at Discovery Cove yesterday, they had tickets on the 14, 15, today they were sold out till the 16th.

My goodness.

I had heard that you have to book early. We totally lucked out because we booked while we were in WDW. just so happens that 2 people cancelled (probably due to the hurricane that was predicted to hit orlando while we were there) so we got to go. Must have been fate!

We went to DC 2 weeks ago, and we loved it so much, at the end of the day on the way out, we signed up to return 2 days later. The first day we did the dolphin interaction, and loved it. But it was something that we didnt want to pay to do again. The actual time was very short, but we still loved it.

Everything was taken care of, towels, vests, wetsuits, food and drinks. The second day we showed up with nothing more than our swim suits and cover ups and sunscreen. (our credit card info was still on file to shop with).

Our 6 year old son loved it and had a great time feeding the rays, and snorkeling. Seeing the sharks behind glass in the coral reef was amazing. My husband loved the lazy river (water was warmer and no fish) He said it was relaxing, I thougt it was okay, and wanted the interaction with fish.

If anything bad could be said, I guess it would be the staff (lifeguards, animal experts, and cleanup staff) could have been nicer. I understand it is a job for them, and they were cordial, but that was about all. And we were kicked alot in the reef area due to people learning to snorkel, or diving down to grab the rays wings (WHICH WAS NOT ALLOWED). A few times I had a persons booty in my face due to small traffic jam in one area or another. It was not due to crowding in the park itself, it wasnt empty, but definatly not overcrowded. We had trouble finding a table when we went to eat, but we just walked around until the area cleared out some. It was crowded in the table area due to thunderstorms.

But overall it was so wonderful and we loved it so much. And if for no other reason than seeing my sons face when a 5 foot ray swam next to him, and him snorkeling for the first time and seeing a shark and not knowing glass was seperating us. LOLOLOLOL

I hope this is helpful to someone. Happy travels.

tnt2cu2 said:
We went to DC 2 weeks ago, and we loved it so much, at the end of the day on the way out, we signed up to return 2 days later. The first day we did the dolphin interaction, and loved it. But it was something that we didnt want to pay to do again. The actual time was very short, but we still loved it.

Everything was taken care of, towels, vests, wetsuits, food and drinks. The second day we showed up with nothing more than our swim suits and cover ups and sunscreen. (our credit card info was still on file to shop with).

Our 6 year old son loved it and had a great time feeding the rays, and snorkeling. Seeing the sharks behind glass in the coral reef was amazing. My husband loved the lazy river (water was warmer and no fish) He said it was relaxing, I thougt it was okay, and wanted the interaction with fish.

If anything bad could be said, I guess it would be the staff (lifeguards, animal experts, and cleanup staff) could have been nicer. I understand it is a job for them, and they were cordial, but that was about all. And we were kicked alot in the reef area due to people learning to snorkel, or diving down to grab the rays wings (WHICH WAS NOT ALLOWED). A few times I had a persons booty in my face due to small traffic jam in one area or another. It was not due to crowding in the park itself, it wasnt empty, but definatly not overcrowded. We had trouble finding a table when we went to eat, but we just walked around until the area cleared out some. It was crowded in the table area due to thunderstorms.

But overall it was so wonderful and we loved it so much. And if for no other reason than seeing my sons face when a 5 foot ray swam next to him, and him snorkeling for the first time and seeing a shark and not knowing glass was seperating us. LOLOLOLOL

I hope this is helpful to someone. Happy travels.

It's helpful to me!!! Sounds fantastic! Thank you for sharing your experience! I can't wait!!! You know what would be soooooo sad???? What if they had to cancel it because of bad weather???!!! That would be awful!!! I mean we are traveling from CT and really looking forward to swimming with the dolphins and ugh!!! Ok, Ok...positive thinking I know!!! :)
Thanks and I'm glad you and your group had a great time!

Hi there, We are going down the week after Thanksgiving as we do every year. We are going to try DC for the 1st time with our 8 and 4 year old. My husband plans to take the 8 year old swimming w/the dolphins, while I hang out with the 4 year old. If I buy tickets without the dolphin swim, will we be able to access everything else...like the reef, beaches, etc.?

You have access to "EVERYTHING".... We did it about 4 years ago with the dolphin swim.. This year we are considering going back and spending the day there and enjoying everything without the dolphin encounter... It is soooooo worth the $$$$.. Be prepared to pay big $ for pictures though... how can you say no... I know I couldn't!!!

We just went on our Dolphin encounter at Discovery Cove on Thursday. It was the best day of our vacation. The place is beautiful and they really seem to manage everything to perfection. After going there, I do NOT think it is unreasonably expensive. The price included tickets to SeaWorld (which by themself for one day is approx. $62), breakfast, lunch, all snacks and drinks during the day.
I was so happy to find out that they had (at no additional charge) perscription goggles. This made my day!!! My contacts were bothering me, so I was wearing glasses. First, I tried wearing the goggles over the glasses, but this was not working out too good. Then one of the employees told me that perscription goggles were available. The girl working there simply looked at my lenses and knew my perscription!!! It was great-I could see!!!
I loved the dolphin encounter but I equally loved snorkeling with the tropical fish and stingrays. It was awesome!!!

iHEARTflorida said:
im looking in to DC and its says stuff about a photo ID can u just take your passport???

Certainly can - it has your name, photo and date of birth so it qualifies :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter