Teacher taking Vacation to Disney during school year?

I hope my post didn't sound like I was complaining, I was just trying to be matter of fact about it. I am fine with things the way they are. I knew that when I became a teacher that though I get lots of vacation time, I don't get to choose when that time is. I think it's a very fair trade off.

I wish more felt this way -thank you for your work!

Teachers must get approval for use of personal days. Before even putting in for approval, we do check the calendar and our own classroom schedule. Clearly, I would not take my two personal days over a critical time in the school year. There are other times, however, that are not critical in a specific class (actually times when very little can happen in the classroom based on a school schedule and the students themselves...) - just like there are non-critical times that the legislators take.

Your dh has rules for the personal days; teachers do too. I am unsure why it is a problem if teachers follow the rules?

And like I said in the post you quoted, I knew people would say this; however, I counter that every day school is in session is an important day to me or it wouldn't be a school day. Just like every day the legislature my dh works for is in session is an important day. Thus, neither you, as a teacher, nor he, as an employee of that legislature, should be able to take off a day school/legislature is in session, barring an emergency.

And like I said in the post you quoted, I knew people would say this; however, I counter that every day school is in session is an important day to me or it wouldn't be a school day. Just like every day the legislature my dh works for is in session is an important day. Thus, neither you, as a teacher, nor he, as an employee of that legislature, should be able to take off a day school/legislature is in session, barring an emergency.

huh? so because your husbands jobs specifies that they may have personal days but NOT within the first 6 months or whatever the stipulations were that means all teachers have those rules too?

The teachers are allowed time off.... as long as their contracts don't have stipulations for when they can be taken then they can take them anytime they like.

Subs need work too :) So many good teachers stuck on sub rotation. When I was in the 5th grade my teacher left after a month for maternity leave. we had a sub for the rest of the year. no big deal. I've had many teachers call in subs during my years in school and yet here I am... a fully functioning normal adult even though my teachers wasn't at the school 24/7 and somtimes took a day off :)

It's really not THAT big a deal for most grades and most classes if the teacher takes a few days off. There are SO many school days and having a sub for maybe 5 of them out of the year is no big deal. Heck even with regular teacher in the room I remember having "movie day" when there was no material to work on that day or "reading day"... even in highschool lol. Then we had "field day" which was a day where the whole school skipped classes and we all went outside and did track and field stuff.

it's really not the end of the world if the teacher takes of day they are ALLOWED to take. now if they aren't allowed to take them (if their contract says NO DAYS OFF during the school year) and still do then that's a problem but it seems that most teachers have it in their contract for some time off during the school year.

yes parents absolutely should be concerned about their childrens education :)

There are A LOT of problems with the school systems right now. Teachers taking a couple of days off is so far down on that list that it's not even an issue IMO. I wish people would stop fighting the teachers and start going to the school boards and the higher ups to get things done. The people who can actually make some of the decisions.

Oh boy. Teachers should not have to miss out on important family events??

I am a nurse. I have to work every other weekend. I have to work every other holiday. I have missed countless kids birthdays, Christmas, etc. (and had to endure the little tearful faces because of it)
I cannot request vcation on my weekends to work. I cannot request vacation the day before or the day after a holiday. If I call in sick I won't get sick time on those days. I cannot request vacation from November to January. That means I miss my Anniversary, my kids birthday and my Mother's birthday every year because they happen to fall in December.

Soooooo.... I DON'T FEEL BAD FOR TEACHERS.

I am a nurse. I have to work every other weekend. I have to work every other holiday. I have missed countless kids birthdays, Christmas, etc. (and had to endure the little tearful faces because of it)
I cannot request vcation on my weekends to work. I cannot request vacation the day before or the day after a holiday. If I call in sick I won't get sick time on those days. I cannot request vacation from November to January. That means I miss my Anniversary, my kids birthday and my Mother's birthday every year because they happen to fall in December.

With the demand for nurses the way it is, I'm surprised you put up with such terrible limitations.

Those who can, teach.

Those who cannot, start threads about teaching.

just sayin':surfweb:

I think what she might be trying to say, is that there are a lot of people out there, parents and non-parents, who have very stong opinions about teachers, often very critical opinions. But I'd bet that many of the naysayers would not last a week doing a teacher's job.

I don't think she's saying that parents shouldn't be concerned about their children's education. Parents should be and teachers encourage that concern and involvement. But there's a line between concern and trying to decide and dictate how teachers teach and run their classroom. Unfortunately many parents consistently cross that line.

If a teacher's contract allow X-amount of personal days, they can be used in any way the teacher wants and no one has the right to question it or the teacher's commitment to their students. If the contract allows personal days, the administrators can't even ask the teachers what they're doing with their time.

It really is sad how many parents are Monday morning quarterbacks. That attitude is driving many good teachers away from education and preventing new ones from entering the field.

I don't get this whole attitude of "well I don't get this so no one else should either" should everyone have to miss family events because you chose a job that has those requirements?

If their contract says they can take days off then why can't they take them?

it's a job. I know they are teaching our children but it's a JOB. Why shouldn't they take the days they are given? why are teachers supposed to be more dedicated to their jobs than anyone else. I keep seeing people say "I can't take time off at this time and this time and this time" uh huh and I'm sure teachers can't just take whatever days they want off.

They submit a request for time off and if it's ok with the principal then they get approved. if it's during a bad time or a time when they shouldn't take off then their request is denied.

They aren't getting any special treatment. they don't just get to up and leave in the middle of class because they decide they want the rest of the day off. they go through the same process just about anyone at any job goes through. submit a request and wait to see if it's approved or denied

:confused3

it's just a few days out of months. in ten years are people going to look at their children and think "Oh man... if only his teacher wouldn't have gone away for a couple of days in the 3rd grade we'd be so much better off"

TEachers aren't magic :) they are just people. if 5 days off is going to ruin your childs education then I'd say there are bigger problems

DISCLAIMER: when I say you I mean general you not anyone specific.

I think what she might be trying to say, is that there are a lot of people out there, parents and non-parents, who have very stong opinions about teachers, often very critical opinions. But I'd bet that many of the naysayers would not last a week doing a teacher's job.

I don't think she's saying that parents shouldn't be concerned about their children's education. Parents should be and teachers encourage that concern and involvement. But there's a line between concern and trying to decide and dictate how teachers teach and run their classroom. Unfortunately many parents consistently cross that line.

If a teacher's contract allow X-amount of personal days, they can be used in any way the teacher wants and no one has the right to question it or the teacher's commitment to their students. If the contract allows personal days, the administrators can't even ask the teachers what they're doing with their time.

It really is sad how many parents are Monday morning quarterbacks. That attitude is driving many good teachers away from education and preventing new ones from entering the field.

Well put. :thumbsup2

This post seems to have a lot of hostility in it.

I think the point that's being missed is that if a teacher's personal days are approved, they can use them any way they want. If the days are not approved, they can't go on the vacation or do whatever they intended to. It's not much different than a nurse whose vacation request is denied. My sister is a nurse, so I do understand that frustration.

And I would bet that most teachers do not use their personal days for their anniversary or their children's birthdays. They celebrate after work, just like everyone else. I know of teachers who save their personal days so they can go on their kids' field trips. How can that be wrong when most teachers are unable to attend award assemblies, classroom parties, etc. during the day because they can't leave their classroom?

I don't get this whole attitude of "well I don't get this so no one else should either"
Agreed! I am a SAHM so I don't think anyone else should...
get sick days, get days off and most importantly - get paid :lmao:

DH gets ZERO paid vacation days, sick days or personal days. He has TWO paid holidays - Christmas and labor day. So that's all anyone else should get :snooty:

But seriously -" I don't get it you shouldn't either " is a very petty argument.

With the demand for nurses the way it is, I'm surprised you put up with such terrible limitations.

Those limitations are VERY typical for a staff nursing position in a hospital or nursing home. It's worse *because* there's a demand for nurses. Unless you work per diem, if you have a full or part time position as a staff nurse in a facility, you are at their mercy usually and it kind of stinks (unless you are a nurse manager or higher up..but if you're a staff nurse, it is what it is)

I put up with the same limitations for years until I went per diem which meant no benefits..and I still had to work some weekends and holidays.

I have never, ever taken a day of for anyone's birthday. Why not do waht the rest of the world does and celebarte when you are off? It doesn't ahve to be the actual day, and with us it almost never is becuase the worl doesn't stop for someone's birthday or anniversary. Surely you do not work every day from november to Jan without a single day off??? I I did, I would be looking for another job, with the demand for nurses being so high. I have worked a job in a lab that had those kinds of restrictions for holidays and weekends and we just shifted our holiday celebrations to accomodate my schedule. It was never a problem. I do the same teaching. I take off when I can, and if I cannot we either shift the celebration or it goes without me. I don't knowwhy anoynoe wouldn't schedule thier child's birthday aprty on thier weekend off, if they are off every other week??

I am a nurse as well, and I honestly can say that the economy has affected nursing jobs just as much as other areas. My hospital plus the other hospital systems in my area have had a hiring freeze for two years, we have had no raises for three years, etc. When people can't pay their bills, they don't pay the hospital either. Plus reimbursements from Medicare and insurance companies have been cut etc etc etc. I feel lucky to have my job, and I make around what teachers in my area make (with 13 years of experience and a masters degree to boot!) So while I respect teachers ( my mom was one) I don't feel sorry for them at all. I wish I had the vacation that they did!:confused3

I don't really think the majority of teachers want the public to "feel sorry for them." I think what is more important to teachers is that their profession is respected, just like any other. It does feel like teachers are attacked for things that are allowed in their contract, like personal days, when that wouldn't happen for other professions. It also seems like teachers are often told how to do their job when that doesn't happen in most professions, either. Teachers are educated people, many have 2 or more degrees, who are specifically trained in the art of educating young people. While parents have a right to be involved in their child's education and to raise whatever concerns they have, they do not have the right to tell teachers how to do their job or how to spend their personal days.

I think what happens is that teachers seem to be on the defense because there is so much criticism out there and because that profession is constantly under attack. There is also a lot of support, but the supporters don't seem to be as vocal as the critics.

Who is saying we should feel bad for teachers?

The point is not that we should pity them and let them take off as much work as they want. the point is if it's in their contract that they get days off during the school year why begrudge them that? Why are teachers supposed to be more dedicated than any other profession and never take time off? If they are allowed those days off then they can take them just like anyone else. They submit their request for time off and hope it's approved. sometimes it's not approved. there are times the teacher cannot be out of the classroom and they can't take vacation during those times. there are other times where it's not really a big deal if its the teacher or the sub there for a couple of days.

It has nothing to do with feeling bad for them. they get the days and they should be allowed to take them without holding a parent teacher conference to get the approval of all the parents. When you take vacation do you have to check with all of your co workers to make sure it's ok that they pick up your slack while you are gone?

Those limitations are VERY typical for a staff nursing position in a hospital or nursing home. It's worse *because* there's a demand for nurses. Unless you work per diem, if you have a full or part time position as a staff nurse in a facility, you are at their mercy usually and it kind of stinks (unless you are a nurse manager or higher up..but if you're a staff nurse, it is what it is)

I put up with the same limitations for years until I went per diem which meant no benefits..and I still had to work some weekends and holidays.

Yup..I am per diem..And after missing countless holidays, weekends etc .I gave up my Staff position.I STILL have requirements though.I need to do 1 of the MAJOR holidays( Christmas/New Years),2 of the Minor onesThanksgiving,4th of July,Memorial day labor Day) .I don't get a say which ones either.I rotate each year whether I have something special or not going on.I also have to work the SHIFT BEFORE AND THE SHIFT AFTER the holiday I am assigned to so I pretty much lose the whole holiday .I also have to do 24 weekend shifts per year.Summer vacations are frowned on since it is a teaching hospital and all the GN's and new Drs start in the summer.It still stinks ,but at least its a little better than it was.I can at least pick the rest of my time to work.

Welcome to nursing...I have been doing the very same for 13 of my 15 yrs.I missed my kids FIRST birthday .It stinks, but it is what it is.This is why I became a per diem nurse, and I still have pretty stringent requirements to fulfill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter