Teacher taking Vacation to Disney during school year?

I wouldn't have a problem with it. teachers are allowed to have family vacation like anyone else. Dh for one can't take vacation from work when he wants and even less during x-mas of summer time and if I was a teacher, I would want to take vacation with him. They are hard working people like anyone else and should be able to vacation like anyone else. As long as the kids in their class is taken care of and learning, I don't care if they are sick or on vacation. I presume that if a teacher was taking vacation, he/she would leave work to be done during that time which is more then they would leave for the sub if they were sick KWIM. Ya they get time off during the summer but it doesn't mean that their spouse can.

lol, exageration, friend. Chill. No clue what you are comparing me with, geesh. Lord knows I have no clue who ou are. Lol, I am on the teacher's side, merely tired of the exagerations or broadbrushes.

I see, my mistake, but FYI, I was comparing it to the post about an OP's "husband not being a theme park guy" Which was never even said by the OP in that thread. LOL!

I am loving the Disboards. So many differing opinions! The world sure would be boring if we all thought and acted the same way!

Here's to many more fun and interesting discussions! :chat:

I see, my mistake, but FYI, I was comparing it to the post about an OP's "husband not being a theme park guy" Which was never even said by the OP in that thread. LOL!

I am loving the Disboards. So many differing opinions! The world sure would be boring if we all thought and acted the same way!

Here's to many more fun and interesting discussions! :chat:

Oh, and thanks for all the great info!! We are going May 15th through the 19th. It's pretty short, but my husband isn't really a theme park kindof guy. I'm hoping to convert him since Disney is not all just rides.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=40237976#post40237976 Post 15

You mean this made up quote? Perhaps you need to do your homework before you get all snitty.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=41099244&postcount=112

I'm not sure I was even a member here when the thread you quoted was written, but at any rate, searching and cross quoting through different threads is a bit extreme to me. That sounds way to time consuming! LOL!l:

Eh, 5 minutes. I survived it. You were the one bringing up other threads. Just wanted to clear things up for you. :). As I said before you make rude accusations check your facts. Unless that is too time consuming.

There are definitely some misconceptions about what a teacher does and does not do. That is partly because teacher job responsibilities vary greatly from state to state, and even within a state.

I teach in Texas, this is my 3rd district here and each one has been very similar. I am at school from 8a-5p every day. We get 2 weeks for Christmas, 1 week for Spring Break plus 3 days for Thanksgiving and a few other days throughout the year. Many of those days the students have off (Columbus Day, President's Day, etc.) we still have to work. My summers are 10 weeks long. This does not include the week we go back to school before the students. Of my 10 weeks, I usually spend 1 of them doing non-contractual professional development. I also spend time working on my curriculum because 10 weeks of doing nothing gets kind of boring.

We get 10 sub days a year, 5 sick and 5 personal. We cannot use a personal day without approval from a supervisor. We cannot use more than 3 days in a row for any reason without medical authorization or approval from HR, and HR only gives it in extreme situations. So taking off a week to go to WDW during the year would not happen.

We also cannot use our days directly before or after a holiday. So I can't turn Labor Day into a longer weekend, or take an extra day after Spring Break without being docked pay. If you are sick those days, you need to get a medical authorization form signed. We also cannot take off during finals or the first and last weeks of school. I do remember a teacher getting an exemption from this once. Her son was being deployed to Iraq the first week of school and HR allowed her to take off from school to see him off. But, that's the level of event you need to get exempt from these rules.

Now, I said this earlier in the thread but I personally would not take a week off from school for a Disney trip even if I could. I teach 11th and 12th grade Physics, and I have yet to meet a sub who could adequately take over my class. Likewise, I would not leave my students with busy work, essentially wasting their time while I go on vacation. I got swine flu back in 2009 and was out a week and it pretty much meant my students lost a full week of instruction that semester. But I suppose someone teaching a less academically challenging subject could find a sub that could handle it.

My son is taking physics with a tutor/teacher. Not a subject that can be dealt with by the avg sub. :) I suppose that they have to have the rules for long weekends, but it is a shame, IMO. Even if there were some leniency based on seniority.

My son is taking physics with a tutor/teacher. Not a subject that can be dealt with by the avg sub. :) I suppose that they have to have the rules for long weekends, but it is a shame, IMO. Even if there were some leniency based on seniority.

I hope my post didn't sound like I was complaining, I was just trying to be matter of fact about it. I am fine with things the way they are. I knew that when I became a teacher that though I get lots of vacation time, I don't get to choose when that time is. I think it's a very fair trade off.

Eh, 5 minutes. I survived it. You were the one bringing up other threads. Just wanted to clear things up for you. :). As I said before you make rude accusations check your facts. Unless that is too time consuming.

but for the record, you are the one doing the name calling. I admit, I actually had to look up the word "snitty" to see what it even meant. Nice of you to call someone a combination of "snotty" and well...a word I would never say. Anyway, this thread is getting hijacked by our back and forth nonsense so I will bow out gracefully, oh great one:worship: Continue to make your snide remarks as usual (believe me, I'm not the only one who feels this way, but I'm sure you already know that). I'm done.

To all the teachers, please take your vacations, have no guilt in doing so, and thank you all so very much for your years of service. Please know that you ARE appreciated by us parents who understand that it is a total team effort to educate a child. Happy vacationing! I know I'm ready for summer!

Not at all. I think that if things can work out (such as some
People being able to take time off) that systems should be flexible and attempt to make the work world better for as possible.

I loved physics but as a homeschooler knew I couldn't go in-depth in this subject. So we are thrilled to pay my girlfriend who is qualified to teach it well. Sorry if I made you think you were complaining!

but for the record, you are the one doing the name calling. I admit, I actually had to look up the word "snitty" to see what it even meant. Nice of you to call someone a combination of "snotty" and well...a word I would never say. Anyway, this thread is getting hijacked by our back and forth nonsense so I will bow out gracefully, oh great one:worship: Continue to make your snide remarks as usual (believe me, I'm not the only one who feels this way, but I'm sure you already know that). I'm done.

To all the teachers, please take your vacations, have no guilt in doing so, and thank you all so very much for your years of service. Please know that you ARE appreciated by us parents who understand that it is a total team effort to educate a child. Happy vacationing! I know I'm ready for summer!

Do You always hold grudges against people who disagree with you? Not good for your health! You did notice that your original accusation was proven false. Facts really probably aren't important though.

As for a snit...
Lol, never heard it mean anything other than an adj. Describing someone having a snit. Much like a silly hissyfit. Let me know if that has a secret meaning. You are too funny.

Do You always hold grudges against people who disagree with you? Not good for your health! You did notice that your original accusation was proven false. Facts really probably aren't important though.

As for a snit...
Lol, never heard it mean anything other than an adj. Describing someone having a snit. Much like a silly hissyfit. Let me know if that has a secret meaning. You are too funny.

I did say "my mistake" so I'm not sure what you mean. I even provided the link to what I was referring to. I, as well as the OP of the other thread, said that she did not say that "in that thread". I apologize for not reading someone's total accumulation of posts before taking them for their word. That seems a little stalkeresque to me. :lmao: You may want to google the word "snitty" and see what it is deemed to mean before you use it. It's not very nice. As for hissyfits, I do not allow my children to have them so you won't see me having one either. :rotfl:

For the record, I have no issues with you or any other poster here on disboards. As I said before, the world would be boring if we were all the same. No ill feelings for sure, and definitely holding no grudges.:flower3: Peace to you and yours. :hug:

I'm one of the ones who said it would bother me. And I'm sorry but it would. A big portion of the responses say you have personal days, why not use them - well, my dh gets personal days too - but unless he is really sick, someone dies, or something of that calibar, they can't be used the first six months - bc his job working in a legislature needs to function too. So I guess it's okay for all of them to take off so laws aren't made and the government doesn't function. Geez, I remember people all up in arms when the federal government was maybe not being able to pay federal employees bc of budget issues. What if all of those legislators and their staff decided they wanted to use their personal days for some time off to disney instead of resolving the budget bc they have them? :confused3 there would have been a mutiny!:rotfl:

Teachers must get approval for use of personal days. Before even putting in for approval, we do check the calendar and our own classroom schedule. Clearly, I would not take my two personal days over a critical time in the school year. There are other times, however, that are not critical in a specific class (actually times when very little can happen in the classroom based on a school schedule and the students themselves...) - just like there are non-critical times that the legislators take.

Your dh has rules for the personal days; teachers do too. I am unsure why it is a problem if teachers follow the rules?

Well y'all can fill your heads with the urban dictionary creepiness. Someone was rude to me and I called them in it. No more no less. Pm29, is it just easier to jump on someone else's bandwagon than to deal with real issue. I mean you have a right to be peeved with me. (is that a bad word too?) I Exagerated your post. :) but I'd still root for you to get time off.

Well y'all can fill your heads with the urban dictionary creepiness. Someone was rude to me and I called them in it. No more no less. Pm29, is it just easier to jump on someone else's bandwagon than to deal with real issue. I mean you have a right to be peeved with me. (is that a bad word too?) I Exagerated your post. :) but I'd still root for you to get time off.
I am not really jumping on anyone's bandwagon here. I deal with teens, slang, ect on a daily basis so the first place my head went when I saw snitty is the way my students use it which is exactly how urban dictionary defines it. Sorry, but that is truly what i thought you were trying to say! I am not really peeved at you at all. I have come to expect the things you post and know you do it to get a rise. It doesn't really bother me that much anymore becuase I have come to understand the motivaiton.

There are definitely some misconceptions about what a teacher does and does not do. That is partly because teacher job responsibilities vary greatly from state to state, and even within a state.

I teach in Texas, this is my 3rd district here and each one has been very similar. I am at school from 8a-5p every day. We get 2 weeks for Christmas, 1 week for Spring Break plus 3 days for Thanksgiving and a few other days throughout the year. Many of those days the students have off (Columbus Day, President's Day, etc.) we still have to work. My summers are 10 weeks long. This does not include the week we go back to school before the students. Of my 10 weeks, I usually spend 1 of them doing non-contractual professional development. I also spend time working on my curriculum because 10 weeks of doing nothing gets kind of boring.

We get 10 sub days a year, 5 sick and 5 personal. We cannot use a personal day without approval from a supervisor. We cannot use more than 3 days in a row for any reason without medical authorization or approval from HR, and HR only gives it in extreme situations. So taking off a week to go to WDW during the year would not happen.

We also cannot use our days directly before or after a holiday. So I can't turn Labor Day into a longer weekend, or take an extra day after Spring Break without being docked pay. If you are sick those days, you need to get a medical authorization form signed. We also cannot take off during finals or the first and last weeks of school. I do remember a teacher getting an exemption from this once. Her son was being deployed to Iraq the first week of school and HR allowed her to take off from school to see him off. But, that's the level of event you need to get exempt from these rules.

Now, I said this earlier in the thread but I personally would not take a week off from school for a Disney trip even if I could. I teach 11th and 12th grade Physics, and I have yet to meet a sub who could adequately take over my class. Likewise, I would not leave my students with busy work, essentially wasting their time while I go on vacation. I got swine flu back in 2009 and was out a week and it pretty much meant my students lost a full week of instruction that semester. But I suppose someone teaching a less academically challenging subject could find a sub that could handle it.

Thank you. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter