Teacher taking Vacation to Disney during school year?

And like I said in the post you quoted, I knew people would say this; however, I counter that every day school is in session is an important day to me or it wouldn't be a school day. Just like every day the legislature my dh works for is in session is an important day. Thus, neither you, as a teacher, nor he, as an employee of that legislature, should be able to take off a day school/legislature is in session, barring an emergency.

So, if I get this right, because I drink a glass of wine (I am over 21), my neighbor (not 21) should be able to? Your husband's job has different rules, (can't use first six months) different pay...vacation... degree requirements...it isn't the same.

I don't disagree that school days are important. I do plan accordingly to still have my students working productively. However, if I am doing my job well, they don't need me for every activity. I am shaping critical thinkers and readers and writers. They can practice and hone those skills without me for a day or two. I will return and provide them feedback and adjust new instruction as necessary. (BTW- my classes essentially can manage themselves without a sub too -they are juniors. and I work really hard at building a rapport of mutual respect. It is great when I can get an awesome sub, but the plans I leave for the students don't require one.)

Playing devil's advocate though; if a child is absent due to illness for two or three days a year, based on the theory, that EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. is critical his or her education would be seriously lacking.

The bottom line is that I don't question when other people take personal days from their job; why does the public believe it can question mine? I have personal days in my contract (whether you think I deserve them or not). I am permitted to use them.

Please stop questioning teachers on unimportant issues. Ask me about the important ones. I will gladly justify why I teach what I teach and how I do it if you are concerned about your child's education. Really, though...me taking a couple of personal days (which my district's rules permit) is not impacting your child's education.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter