Taking kids out of school ! Help !!

Originally posted by IGDDDF
Dear WDW2002

What exactly is an independent study contract. And how does it work? Does this apply to all public schools?
It is basically saying that your child is missing school for (reason) and that they will complete all school assignments assigned during their absence. You will have to check with your school, every school / school disctrict is different.

I understand where a lot people are coming from about wanting to use the off-season for WDW trips because I do too-And I also understand that some people can't get the time off for school time b/c it is popular vacation time- so please don't flame me for this
BUT I AM TEACHER- AND I FELT LIKE JUST SCREAMING AS I READ THIS POST/
1) Many people who responded seemed to think that a week is not much time- those people should sit down and read through the state standards and district standards for should be taught each year- between vacations, sickness, standardized testing time etc... there is not that much time in the school year to cover all of the things you are supposed to- and that is supposing that all of your understand the concept right off the bat- how frequently do you think that happens?
2) The schools receive money for each day the child attends- which is why if a child is absent for five days it can be a big deal (okay, not a lot for one child to miss five days but multiple that by every kids in the school whose parents pull them out for vacation) which is why when you sign an independent study contract the school still receives the money
3) There is no substitute for classroom learning time- Many people seem to think that the teacher can pack up a neat little 30 minute packet and your child won't be behind- I mean honestly, what do you think your kids do all day?
4) When the child returns, 99% of the time, the teacher needs to spend a lot more time re-teaching the skill to that child- well guess what, the other 30 kids suffer than- and guess what else- most kids don't want to stay after, in during recess, or come before school to make up work or get help-
5) In AZ if your child misses 10 or more days you, as a parent, can go to JAIL- WDW does not qualify as an excused absence
Schools can be very flexible- but when dealing with the fammily situations they do, lack of money, equipment etc... so do you really think dealing with the family whose going to WDW for a week should be a top priority (maybe it should be the kid whose parent was stabbed the night before?????That really happened)
Finally, my rant is done- but I have to wonder about the quality of education your child is getting if you think that missing a week or so doesn't cause any harm. I agree that there are times that missing school for trips can be a wonderful and educational thing for children (I once had a family who withdrew their kids for a year to sail around the world- what an experience- the kids met all sorts of people, saw different countries, and did school work each day- that is a worthwhile trip) Finally, really this time, for all you responsible parents out there- you who go talk to the teacher and follow through- I bet there are twice as many who don't... Anyway, a lot of that is JMHO-

I have had a teacher tell me that the quality of time that you will spend with your child/children is imeasureable compared to what they could teach them in that timeframe. It's irreplacable.

We used to take our daughter out in May. But In all honesty, as they get up there in Grades the amount of homework is so intense that it just wasn't worth it. Now we just do it with the rest of the summer crowd.

So enjoy it while you can, especially if they are in the lower grades. Only you know what your childs ability is and how well they are doing in school at that time. With the help of the teacher you can decide if they can handle the make up work.

Great point though DG-12,

Again, I say...it is the parent's call ... not the teachers or the schools. I, too, am a teacher - and have been in 3 states... my hubby has been one (is now in private business), in three states - and my mom an elementary teacher. We cover the spectrum from K-post-secondary.

I am in no way advocating for parents to take kids out of school but it depends on the child, the state, and the school. Private is different than state schools. State schools are different than charter schools and home schooling is different than all the above.

As a parent, I do what is best for my child. It will be different for each child and each parent. Each child is unique in their ability to learn and interact as well as handle stress, etc. Just as each family situation is unique.

If the amount of time my child was missing from school ever became an issue...I would choose to do home schooling ... and then it wouldn't be an issue. That is me ... wouldn't be my first choice but is always an option.

And, I agree, if parents do not take the time to work with children who miss school (for whatever reason) it is a lot of extra work for teachers. So, as a parent you need to take responsibilty for your child and put in the extra time, effort, and money (for tutors) that is necessary to bring your child up to speed. And, if you don't feel your child will be successful if they miss the days...then don't take them out of school.

Again, the parents should have the final say. Of course, that isn't to say that all this shouldn't be done in cooperation with the teacher, school and school district. All of which are important.

Yes, school is important. A lot of stuff happens. But, I still believe..and forever will...that family is the most important. That being said, I think that there is a happy middle in all this...but that is different for each family.

If you have to take kids out of school or decide to that ... be responsible ... do the "homework" to find out the consequences and implications ... and then do what it takes to make sure your child is able to fit back in.

DG-12
While I agree class room time is important. But I also believe family time is important. And I also believe there is much more to education the class room teaching. I also think it depends A LOT on the child in question, and what grade they are in. Our WDW trip will likely be the last time I will take my kids out of school for a trip. Next year my oldest will start middle school, 8 classes, 8 teachers is going to be too difficult to cordinate getting the missed work.

I am a firm believer that if a child misses school for whatever reason they should complete all missed school work. My DD's will complete every assigment given, as well as a report/journal of the trip and any other "special assignments" that may be given.

I agree that family time is important!! I firmly believe that I cannot be a successful teacher without parents support- but does quality time have to occur during the school year? I believe that parents can have LOTS of quality time with their kids during the school year AND when school is out. The message I am getting is that quality time can only be had during the off-season at WDW? For many people taking their kids out is not because they can't have vacation at other times but because it is least crowded and least expensive when school is in session. Again, I am not saying that people should not take their kids out of school...I just can't believe the number of people who think the schools should be more understanding- (if there are 700 kids in the school and HALF of the families take their kids out for some reason can you imagine the havoc it plays on the school and the classrooms?) If you are willing to take full responsibilty as a parent fine- but how many of you would be in my classroom arguing with me if I asked the student to turn the work in ahead of time, the day he/she returned, or told your child he/she could NOT make up the standardized tests that take place at the end of the year when many people assume nothing much is going on?
Dana

In our school district here in Maryland, I was told (by school personnel and personal friend) that if I go to Disney World, it will be considered "unexcused". She said "You have to be out of town to attend to family matters." I caught on really quickly. Our last disney trip, that's what I put on the note sent back in to school. DDs were given "excused" absences. More than 5 unexcused absences put us before the principal and who knows what else. It doesn't matter though - we're going anyways because that's what is best for us!

I agree that taking your children out is a very personal decision. And everyone is entitled to their say. What I think is sad is that families feel locked into rules and decissions made by schools that have a big effect on their children. I am a teacher, teaching early chilhood classes part time right now, and I have seen many children enjoy a family vacation with no problems.
I am lucky that my DS's school does look at family vacations in a positive light and are quite willing to work with families. However, I choose my childs school.The local public school. Today more and more options are avaliable to parents. Magnet schools, charter schools and more and more private schools. With tax credits and more aid to parents, theses are becomming a real choice for many. Not to mention the high rise in home schoolers. My hope is that school are going to have to begain to meet some of the demands of the families in order to keep their enrollments high.I think a school would rather loose 5 days of money for my son than have me move him to another school and loose a whole years worth.
I second what several parents have said; please be responable parents if you take you kids out. Be sure they do ALL of the work assigned and understand all the concepts. Last year when my DS misssed a week for WDW, he ended up with the best grades of the year that quarter. No teacher catch up, but a mom who made sure he stayed on track.
Everyone has to make his or her choice and then deal with the outcome.

Jordan's mom

When I first started teaching I was teaching in an area where a lot of people pulled their kids out of school for five days at a time for various reasons- and the school ended up losing almost 10,000/yr in funding- that means that while you may think that your son's five day absence is not a big deal you have to remember how many other parents have that same opinion- Second,you should check into some of thsoe "alternative" options- in AZ and CA teachers don't have to be certified to teach at a charter school- Some don't even have to pass background checks, Home-school- you have to have a certificate to do that- etc.... All the while these schools drain the budgets of the schools that you seem to think are failing- well, guess what, do you think less money helps them to succeed? (Why do you think classrooms have two computers for thirty kids? Or, my personal favorite, not enough books?) FINALLY- I don't think public schools should have to compete for their kids- we operate with the smallest budgets, the strictest regulations, and the lowest pay... We are underfunded, not enough books, paper, pencils, etc... I just finished interviews for the new teacher at our school and one of the candidates asked me why I taught there (well, she asked the group- and I was the one who got to answer)...Just so some of you don't think I am the Grinch- I love my kids, they need me. Their lives don't include WDW trips and I am there fighting for them every day- sometimes I am the only person fighting for them- Even at their age they can appreciate that I do my best for them and that I am always willing to go the extra mile for them- they understand that not all adults are willing to protect, care, or fight for them and they appreciate that I care enough to do it. They tested me the first weeks I had them- kept asking me if I would leave- and I kept coming back and you know what by the end of the year our class had won all kinds of awards, raised test scores, and become a safe place for my kids. They touched my life in a way I feel blessed to have experienced- I just have different priorities from some of you and that's okay too. I hope all of you do cherish your time with your kids! There are some kids who don't have parents like you all...
Dana

originally posted by: DG-12

I believe that parents can have LOTS of quality time with their kids during the school year AND when school is out.

In some cases, yes, in others, NO. It depends on the parents' job, if they have areas of time that they CANNOT take off of work, and whether those time coinside with when the children are out of school. Not everyone takes vacations because it may be cheaper or cooler at certain times of the year. Many times vacation time has to come when and if the parent can secure it. The child or family should not be penalized a vacation because it may mean that the child may have to miss school to go.

The schools have to be flexible, and believe me, if I am going out of town, my child will be with me, no matter what time of year it is, or isn't. His/her work will be completed, and then some, and we will not infringe on the teacher's time, other than to get the school assignments before we go. It is truly the parents choice, and not something that the schools should have any say over, one way or the other.

I applaud you DG-12 . I know this is a touchy subject as parents will always feel we are the best deciders of what we do with our children. We need more teachers like you. Not all, give it 110% that our nations children deserve.

This is the reason we decided not to remove our daughter from the school year. It wasn't for any other reason outside of the fact it was hard for her to catch up. We didn't want to impose this unnecessary stress on our daughter.

DG-12 ... I, too, applaud you. Over the years I have seen, worked with and evaluated many teachers who are just putting in their time. It is really a shame as our nation's children are being shortchanged. On the other hand, students who are lucky enough to have a teacher with such dedication really do excel and take off. Teaching is one of the hardest professions around and perhaps one of the lowest paying. (Isn't it amazing how e as a society are willing to pay professional athletes millions to hit a ball and run around while we pay those entrusted with our children little to nothing...oh well that is an issue for another thread, right :D ) That is one of the reasons why we are now in private business instead of in education. It only takes one salary to make what the two of us combined used to make ... and I can stay home with my child. What a blessing.

You asked the question earlier if parents would be willing to do the work ahead of time before a child leaves.... ABSOLUTELY. If we would be willing to hand it in the day we returned...ABSOLUTELY. And, if I scheduled my child to be gone when the standardized test was given, I would not expect to be given the chance for him to make it up. That is what I mean about being responsible and accountable for the decision.

It is MY responsiblity to make sure that my child can and does do whatever needs to be done in order to be able to come back into the classroom and pick right back up with the rest of the class - without causing disruption or an extra burden on the teacher. I should not expect the teacher to do that for me. But, I may be a bit different than some parents That is why it is imperative that parents be aware of the big picture.

DG12, I agree with what you say but I also disagree. Here in NY you get funding by enrollment, it doesn't get taken away for everyday a child misses. And in states where it does, I am sorry but I am not responsible for an entire school. If my child is absent for 5 days and they loose his funding for 5 days, so be it, he wasn't there to use his share of resources anyway. Here the problem with school funding isn't the amount (IMO) it is the way it is handled. By the time all the 'non educating' staff is paid and all the over payed head honchos, there is little left for students and teachers.

Yes schoold need books, very badly. It sucks that they can't have up to date books each year. It is bad that they are not in the budget, but the publishers are making lots and lots of $$ on those books. The price of books is ridiculous!

If we had more teachers like you, schools would be a better place. I don't necessarily feel that more money is the answer.

Teachers deserve better pay (so do policemen) but they know the salary when they take the job.

This is a really interesting thread, as we have different systems over here in the UK. We are sort of allowed 10 days off in the year if the teachers agree but recently got a memo from the HM, stating that 80% of parents have been taking their kids out of school for holidays and although parents are allowed to take 10 days out, it is a privelidge(sp) not a right!!! From now on each request would be placed before the board of governors for approval.

My DS(7) has Special Ed needs and until recently only attended for 90mins a day, he now attends half a day at a time and we are hoping to increase this 1 day at a time when he starts in Yr 3 in September. We came to orlando for 10 days in March and I took plenty of reading material and made him keep a journal and make a scrapbook for show and tell. His SN assistant told us that she saw such an improvement in his behaviour after his trip, that she would not hesitate to let us go again any time we wanted!!
He even got average result in his Sats, which is astounding since he only attended about 25% compared to all the other kids.

We are not planning to go away until October '03 but will be taking one week in the half term break and a week after. We normally go in the holidays, but the cost to go to Orlando in the holidays from Britain is extortionate as the holiday companies all put their prices up about 40%.

When we do go in the holidays we tend to stick to Europe and so far my little traveller has been to France, Crete, Spain, Majorca and the US. I think the benefit of travel when they are in the earlier grades outweighs the downside of taking them out of school.

Consider these thoughts from a high school teacher:

Your child is in my classroom for only 18 weeks. I give an awful lot of notes and introduce quite a few new concepts each week.

Most of my kids can "get" the information by reading it on their own, but they'll have a much better understanding if they also hear me explain it, if they hear my examples, and if they participate in the practice exercises I give in class. Most students do fall behind when they're out a whole week.

Your child will take a state EOC test at the end of my class. His performance determines whether he goes on to the next class; obviously, I want him to pass. If he doesn't pass, I look bad, he looks bad, and you look bad! If he's not here, I can't do much to help him.

I am not saying that family time isn't important! I have children too. However, kids are in school for seven hours a day, 180 days per year. That leaves 185 free days, not to mention after school hours on the 180 days! If you can't "be a family" in those hours, why do you think it will magically happen in one week off school?

It is so interesting how opinions vary. My DH taught high school science for over 16 years and believes that it is a parent's decision as to whether the child should miss school. He has seen it work wonderfully, IF a parent is involved...if the student is not having problems grasping the concepts before they leave... and if the parent and student are both willing to do what it takes to make sure the student is "on track" either when they return or shortly thereafter. Again, it depends on the student!

I don't think it is a matter of "being a family" in those hours. Quite the opposite, if you are not a family prior to the one week, you probably won't be a family after the one week -- so I agree with Mrs. Pete.

But, I look at it this way...how would I feel if I had a student whose father was a fireman..and a month before, the student/parents had approached me about taking the student out of school for a week because that was the only time the father could get off work. I voiced a strong objection to them doing so.

A month later, 9-11 happened, and that student lost his/her father. And, they had decided not to take the student out of school for that week based on my strong objection... WOW!!!!!!

If asked..as a teacher I would give an objective evaluation of the situation based on the student,their work and the upcoming material to be covered...yet I would always tell the parent that the final decision is up to the them.

I do agree that the older the student is, the harder it is for them to miss school. But, I don't think it is a hard and fast rule...as nothing ever is...it is up to the parent to make the decision that is the best for their child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter