Taking kids out of school ! Help !!

lovmy2girls

DIS Veteran<br><font color=purple>I tell ya, if yo
I really want to make a trip for the first week in December, but my girl will be in school. She is in a private school and they really frown on unexcused absences. How do any of you moms or dads deal with it when taking kids out of school. The look and attitude from the teacher is just a bit much. I can just see it now when my little girl goes back to school and tells her teacher "We just went to Disney World" :D

You just have to make the decision that is right for your family and not let anyone else's idea of "right" bother you.

I wouldn't take my kids out of school for any length of time(maybe 1 day)but that is me and only because my youngest DS really can't afford to miss any school.He is very bright,just has a hard time retaining stuff and I KNOW I would be unfaithful of going over school work while at Disney.Come on...it's DISNEY WORLD for pete's sake!I'm not making him do school work :rolleyes:

In a few years are you going to remember the rolling eyes:rolleyes: or a wonderful family vacation??????
GO AND ENJOY!!!!!!!!!

It depends on the age of your children. I am a teacher (28 years!!) and I have become much wiser as I've aged. School is important, and I always relay that message to my daughter, BUT school is not always the MOST important thing. I agree with Tinkerbelle30, the memories and bonding are well worth the rolling eyes, and not all teachers disapprove. If your children are young, definitely go for it. As they enter middle shool and high school, the amount of make up work becomes more overwhelming and the concepts are much harder to teach on your own. Sometimes you have to be willing to sacrifice a few grades, too.

We took our daugher out of private school for one week when she was in fifth grade. We celebrated my DH's 50th birthday with a seven day Disney Cruise. The teacher was very accommodating, but our very bright DD struggled through a whole unit in science. I felt she never quite got caught up for that quarter. I am quility, though of assuming she had "gotten it" because she usually catches on so quickly. After she brought home a "C" on that test instead of her usual "A", I realized she needed my help.

I would not give up those memories of our cruise for anything in the world. We never know how long we have together, and we can't always arrange every vacation around the school calendar.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

I hope you all didn't take my "rolling eyes" as some sort of rebuke to lovmy2girls.It was directed at myself and my admitted inability to make my son do school work on vacation.If she feels the situation is good for her to take the kids out,than it's great!When only my older DS was in school I would have taken him out because he could easily catch up.That's just not the case with my younger son.

Sorry if anyone misunderstood my post :( .

It is you DD and your decision. But I do believe that it is not a decision to be made lightly. If your child is a good student and will not get behind with the missed school then "go for it." If on the other your child is struggling then I would not suggest taking your child out for a vacation.

I am taking my 6th & 4th graders out this year for a 2 week vacation right before winter/christmas break. I am hoping that the teachers are supportive and helpfull in this matter but if not, not. I believe WDW can be a very educational plus (Epcot and AK especially) so I do believe that we will "learning" while at WDW.

We took our DD out of school for a total of three weeks last year (one in November and two in May) for trips to WDW. Her teacher was very supportive, which was great, but we decided before we planned our trip that she is our DD and we would do it whether the teacher was supportive of not. She made up all of her missed work in about a week. At the end of the schoolyear some of her classmates got jackets for having perfect attendance throughout the year. When she told me this, I asked her if she'd rather have a jacket then our family vacations, and she broke out into the biggest smile and said our vacations, of course! That's what we're all going to remember and treasure.

Perfect attendence awards are a bit silly anyway IMHO. I mean we are basically rewarding a kid for either never getting sick or for coming to school despite being sick and making the other kids sick.

Enjoy your vacation!

You are spending your money to have your child go to that private school, so if you want to take your child out of school for a vacation, that is your perogative. No amount of rolling eyes or attitude from a teacher would keep me from taking my child out of school for a family vacation. As long as they can make up the work, and it won't cause undue stress you your child in trying to make it up, I say GO FOR IT! If you allow an hour a day devoted to school work while down there and have them work on it during the trip down, and the trip back, I see no problem. They can work on it while the rest of you get ready in the mornings to go to the parks.

I have a huge problem with the education system telling me how to run my family's life--- they don't know what is best for us... and what am I going to remember in the long run? That perfect attendence record, and the approval of the school, or the great time I had with my family in Disney World? No contest, there!

Yes you are absolutely right on them running your life. Not every parent or family can get off work just in the summer or when the kids are off from school. So you are stuck going when you can. Not our case here, but I guess the teacher does not have to know that. :D

No, that is true, the teachers and administrators only need to know what you tell them. I say, if your child can handle the make up work, then go for it!

There is another thread with the same question on it that happened about 3 weeks ago on this board. You might want to do a search and read those comments.

My husband taught for 16 years, my mom just retired after more years than I can count and I have several teaching certificates. My advice is this:

Do what you think is best for your family. You are responsible for her not her teacher. And, only you know what is best for her. So, I say go for it. My son is 4 and when he is in school he will miss at least one week for Disney in November and one week in August for another trip we take. I won't even have a second thought about it.

Let the teacher know. Be pleasant. And, you don't even have to tell them why you are taking them out just that they will be gone. Ask for make up work, if you want it. And, if you do ask for it, please make sure you do it. It takes them extra time to pull that together. Used to irratate my mom when parents would ask for it, she would get it all together and then never see any of it return. Frustrating.

The memories you will create during that time are ones that will last a lifetime. And, yes, Disney is VERY educational. And, if your daughter falls behind you can hire a tutor to get them caught up.

GO FOR IT and don't give it another though. Have fun!

That is what I will do. Just tell her matter of fact, but very polite, and ask for any work I may do with her so she will not get behind. Make sure that week is not a test of some sort that can't be made up. I just can't imagine going during the summer months. CROWDS, Heat, long lines:eek:

You mentioned the look and the attitude of the teacher is a bit much. Have talked to the teacher about this? Sounds like maybe some folks could be jumping to some conclusions...like the education system trying to raise our kids. I have my own kids, I don't really want to raise anyone else's. (You'd be amazed at the amount that seemingly want me to.) Bottom line: You don't need to ask permission to go and please don't have your child perpetuate a lie (said or unsaid), just respectfully tell the teacher your plans and work with him/her to make up assignments or substitute something from the trip comparable. Math can be taken with you, there is plenty of reading and writing that can be done on the trip to turn in later based on Disney or whatever, and especially EPCOT has tons of Social Studies and Science. I realistically don't think the trip should be spent doing classwork because it probably won't happen, so plan before and after as well as while en route. It will depend on the age of the child. For some kids, it can be hard but most sail through with no problems. If the teacher has a problem with it, oh well...agree to disagree. Good luck and have a great time.

We have taken our children out of school once this past year for WDW and once for a trip to London, missing about 10 days total. We did not win the lottery, but took advantage of spectacular deals.

I have found even the most strict teachers and principals to be flexible about missing school for a trip to WDW. My son is autistic and without exaggerating, each of our two trips to WDW since August 2001 caused leaps in his development equivalent to one year. Each trip! Even his SpEd teachers noticed the changes. With regard to my normally developing daughter, her principal said that there is no way her school can compete with "field trips" to WDW or London. However, my daughter's teacher gave her a composition book the day before we left and had her keep a journal (she was 5 1/2 at the time). She dutifully wrote in her journal and highlighted the entries with stickers and drawings. Keep in mind that she was only one of two students in her class even capable of keeping a journal. The CMs were very generous with stickers when told of the journal. She even had a Nurse Minnie sticker from our trip to First Aid. Keeping the journal was not a chore -- she did it during our mid-day break at the resort. There is so much of an educational nature at WDW and not just at Epcot and AK. You might want to do a search for a homeschooling thread or two on disboards.

Having said all of that,I realize the time may come when my children are in high school and missing school becomes more problematic. Because
travel is such a high priority for my family and I can turn any trip into an education, I am prepared to negotiate with their teachers and principal and I am confident we can come to an agreement. I have found a firm approach works and they will back down if you can show the trip will benefit them.

Discuss the situation with the teachers. When we took our grandchildren, we chose a week that included a holiday (Columbus Day) and they only missed 3 days of school (there was some reason for the second day of no school I can't remember).

An incentive for the kids is to make sure they stay caught up, if not ahead on their studies, and arrange for the teachers to give them some homework assignments for the trip (a good way to pass the time when traveling so they don't have to do it when they could be swimming, etc.).

Don't forget that WDW has a lot of educational value in itself, especially Epcot. Perhaps the kids could do a report on things they learned while on vacation. Just don't overshadow the fun parts.

I'm going through the same dilemma but with a public school. Both of my DD's are honor roll students. I decided to pull them out towards the end of the school year. Although some teachers are supportive, some frown on it. The end of the school year would be near so it's of less concern. I was advised by a PTA friend to state "we will be out of town to attend to family matters" (which is true ). Then the record wouldn't show any unexcused absences. :) Happy family memories are too important to me and my family!

I will go back 3 weeks to the other posting and read those too! It's nice to be re-assured that we're making the right decision!

In the prior thread someone pointed out that teachers would not ask you for permission to take off, why ask them?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter