Take me back to our Happy Place - a July 2020 PTR * BRIEF update 5/27*

Long time reader of your trip reports here. My husband and I are taking an anniversary/birthday trip July 6-11 (leaving our two kids behind), with a split stay at PC and BCV. We rescheduled this trip from March. I am crossing my fingers that everything will be open and we won't have to reschedule for later in the year. I'm a teacher and my husband is an essential worker as a DoD contractor and it's hard to take off throughout the year. We are both so ready to get away. DH has been working lots of overtime for the past month due to all that is going on. We can't wait to enjoy an escape to WDW!
:tinker:

WOW this makes me so happy seeing all you guys here :love: I think this report is really going to be fun! Speaking of fun here's my favorite holiday to add to the list. And as an FYI this is the very first time I;m posting a GIF here on the boards which means there's a 50/50 chance it'll show up when I hit post:

I'm here!!! So hoping you are able to do this trip, and in any case looking forward to hearing about the planning with you!!
Hey Kathy thank you for joining me! I am definitely and absolutely planning on this trip :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 until I can't! It's actually fun to have things to plan since I don't do much planning when it's just Steve and I and that's the majority of our trips.
I’m here and delighted to join you! I could do with some happy planning right now so can’t wait to hear what you plan to do this trip ( and whether or not you actually stick to the plan in the trip report that hopefully follows). :goodvibes
Yay you're here!!! Yes I think anything that looks positively to the future is a plus now :flower1: so that's why I started this! And LOL on sticking to the plan, you definitely know us ;)
Above is my favourite but it is very closely followed by my second favourite holiday
You figured it out! I admit I didn't even know how to post GIF's until this minute :rotfl2:so when you said you may need my help I got scared lol!
Following along. Looking forward to reading another one of your reports.
I have a college senior so get the difficulty with the senior stuff ( though obviously there are differences). As of now , they have moved graduation from May to August. I so hope that happens.
Hey Debbie good to see you here :goodvibes Yeah college is different but that doesn't mean it stinks any less. Finishing up college is like, the last vestige of being "young and free" in a way? Before having to move on to "real life" and now that's gone for those college seniors. So I feel for them as well. Fingers crossed for the August graduation, I hope they do something like that for Ricky! His graduation isn't until 6/27 so still some hope.......
I'm here! Where else would I be when you are starting a PTR!!!!:love2:
I knew you'd be here 😗😗😗 wouldn't be the same without you!
we are going Aug 31 to Sept 7th for my daughters 16th, she is taking friends! I hope we get to go!!!
Hello and :welcome:! That sounds awesome, Ricky almost took a friend last year but it didn't end up happening. I'm thinking in the next couple years with Ricky in college we may end up taking Chris and a friend or two though!
Oh and sorry if my post in the Sept 2020 thread with all the acronyms scared you lol
Joining for your PTR! I wish I was writing a PTR right along with you but that will come in it's own time. The 4th was great last year. Like you I enjoyed the lower crowds and of course it was awesome meeting up with you and your lovely family!
Hi there Sue :hug: The border being closed throws a whole other wrench in the travel game I know, but it will happen! Your Dec. trip will be here before you know it. Who knows, maybe Steve and I will do another quick Dec trip and see you again then!
My favourite holiday is.......
Yay same as mine! That doesn't surprise me given how much you loved your quick Xmas Disney visit last year and the fact that you're doing it again 🎄
Joining in, I really hope all your trips happen!
Thanks Caroline! While I don't think all 4 of our currently booked trips will materialize 3 would be nice, and even if the first 2 don't work out I am absolutely not even entertaining the thought that July and Sept. won't at this point :snooty:
I didn’t know Steve was a pizza man in the evening, yum!!
He is! He started working at his friend Sonny's restaurant when he was 17 making pizza. Sonny unfortunately passed away about 4 years ago and now his sister has the restaurant but she knows little about the business so Steve pretty much runs it. Sonny's family and ours are very close so no way he'd leave Sonny's sister, and he does enjoy making pizza!
We really liked the garden room at CR, the walk to MK is so nice! If our August trip happens we will be at BWI, resort side will be new to us!
I toured a garden room and I like the location, definitly love walking to the MK! We haven't stayed at the BW since one particularly forgettable trip in 2015 lol but we'd had 3 great stays before that and I still think it's my fave EPCOT resort.

Well you know I hate planning, but I love you so here I am :grouphug:
Makes sense 👍 But I wouldn't want you anywhere else!
And as far as favorite holidays, did you have any doubt....
NOT surprising at all 👑
Here!! And I'd say my current favorite holiday is the day I get back to Disney World (yes, I'm making that a holiday).
Hey Renee thank you for being here :hug: I like your made up holiday and it totally should be a real one from now on! I also hope it hurry's up and gets here...................
Can't wait to hear about your plans. Half the fun is in planning....
:wave: It is, and I like that I get to do more when the boys come! Even though we end up changing it all every time lol
Me! I came here for you! :)
😘
Has he emerged from his room yet? Morgan started re-joining us yesterday. I said it is a sign that things are getting that bad!
LOL funny you say that! Yesterday he spent time with us for Ricky's birthday and then today, surprisingly enough he helped em color Easter eggs! Ricky is always around since he hangs downstairs in his man cave and has to walk through the kitchen to the bathroom and also needs the kitchen a few times a day for his energy shakes 💪 and he'll play board games with me. Chris is just a whole 'nother story!
I'm here, but.. fair warning, I may not say much. I don't usually, with PTRs.
Warning noted ✍ but good to see you here anyway :goodvibes
Um... red sleeves, you mean?
And :thanks: for pointing that out person who won't be saying much!
Happy birthday to him! My oldest's birthday is tomorrow.
Right back at your oldest! I hope the day was somewhat special.
Easy one...
Nice GIF choice! Your favorite seems to be running as close fave with mine!
Belated Happy Birthday to Ricky. He can now have a virtual British pint of 🍻.
Ha ha thank you and :welcome: ! Funny, we were originally supposed to be docked in the Bahamas yesterday for his birthday on our Disney cruise. He was excited as he thought he'd be able to drink not being on American soil, until I told him DCL is the only line that does not allow those under 21 to drink regardless of where they are! Oh well, just another 3 short years!
This made me laugh. :laughing: I needed the laugh :thumbsup2
Chris is always good for a laugh!
Happy belated birthday to Ricky! I am with you completely... no one knows what the next few months will bring, but if I don't remain positive-ish about when life will return to normal, I will go insane. So... here's to optimism! :thumbsup2
Thank you :) Ugh some days are so hard - I did good yesterday for Ricky but then earlier today was rough - but yes I NEED to stay positive as I have a personality that will go downhill quickly if I don't. Right now I focus on getting through April and looking to some good news for May! At least overall the news for NY isn't getting worse so fingers crossed for us 💕
Following! I also love the 4th of July but my family doesn't share my love. So, I will say that's MY favorite minus the Gif. Maybe DW would be a great place to celebrate!
Yay hello, so glad to have you here! Nobody really shares my love for Christmas either other than my DIL but nobody in my household! So while Steve will help put up a few decorations that are high or the ones outside, I decorate our trees all by my lonesome :(
It was SO fun being in WDW for July 4th you should try it!
Following along.
:wave2: I hope you enjoy! Glad you're here!
My favorite is the 4th of July and Christmas. My husband and I will go fireworks shows every night the week of the 4th. We id this until we had our daughter who hated them and would freak out during them. Then we only went to 1. She is 12 now and does much better so we have started to go to more shows again.
My Stepson now 28 used to hate fireworks and any loud noise, like when firetrucks or other big trucks would blow whistles or honk their horns, So when we'd go to a parade he'd walk like 100 feet away from the road if trucks were coming! He still doesn't really like fireworks but learned to deal with them so I get it
💕
I am really looking forward to reading your PTR
Aw that made me smile :)
The “Chris list of enjoyable things” made me subscribe (sooo funny and also relatable as a mother of teens)
Chris is one of a kind for sure! Ricky is my easy one and Chris, well, :rolleyes: although he does make me laugh when he isn't making me want to scream!
we also have a trip planned for late June/early July although I’ve also booked for late August given the uncertainty. I can’t seem to bring myself to cancel the June/July trip so maybe reading your report will bring me some clarity :)
Nope not cancelling any of mine until I need to; just going to plan and plan! But having the back ups makes me feel better so I think having your August trip is good, that way if you need it it's there. But since your June/July trip probably butts up to my July trip let's just say they'll both be a go!

First off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY UnBirthday Ricky. (see 'what I did there ? 'cause your birthday was yesterday)
LOL yes I did; clever and cute! Welcome!
know this isn't a gif, but it is one of my photos Christmas and Star Wars Day May the Fourth!
IMG_20190825_151744067.jpg
Perfect!
Longtime lurker here for your PTR! :wave2:
Yay :welcome: I hope you enjoy this one and it takes your mind of "things" for a bit :goodvibes
I'm here!!
Whoo the PAR-TAY can start 🎉
I'm still acting like our May trip is gonna happen even though it's about 99.99% not going to :( .
Yeah 😢 I know. Mine isn't cancelled either but given the "other" announcement today......let's focus on July 🎆
But I was inspired by your 4th trip last year to plan our backup trip for July 1-8 so fingers crossed.
Plus it means we overlap and can say hi!!!!
And my favorite holiday:
Seriously getting the jump on Xmas being the fave here!
Long time reader of your trip reports here.🎉
I love hearing that :love: Thank you for posting and for following along again!
My husband and I are taking an anniversary/birthday trip July 6-11 (leaving our two kids behind), with a split stay at PC and BCV. We rescheduled this trip from March. I am crossing my fingers that everything will be open and we won't have to reschedule for later in the year. I'm a teacher and my husband is an essential worker as a DoD contractor and it's hard to take off throughout the year. We are both so ready to get away. DH has been working lots of overtime for the past month due to all that is going on. We can't wait to enjoy an escape to WDW!
Ooh, first adults only trip? SO fun and so different! We do them so much more often than trips with the kids now that when we are taking the kids I look forward to it a lot. But there's such a great level of freedom just being adults! So let's just say there won't be anymore rescheduling; plus I have other "work" trips I'd have to reschedule AGAIN for quite a few folks and I rather not do that so all around it works out better if all is well for July lol! And you and your DH both deserve the trip 1000% between being a teacher now (I know it's way more of a challenge than usual) and being essential; thank you both ❤ We've stayed at Pop and BCV, great split especially having BC second! We'll be right across the water starting on the 5th so maybe we can say :wave2:

Speaking of fun here's my favorite holiday to add to the list.
Revolving door day! That's a good one!
And as an FYI this is the very first time I;m posting a GIF here on the boards which means there's a 50/50 chance it'll show up when I hit post:
Worked!
And :thanks: for pointing that out person who won't be saying much!
:blush:
Right back at your oldest! I hope the day was somewhat special.
It was. :)

WHEN: July 3-9th
So stopping back by because we changed our trip dates again. Originally 7/2-7/6, then 6/30-7/7 and now 6/27-7/5. So I know we will see you the 4th but that may be it. Boo. Chad has to be furloughed 3 out of 15 weeks, so he is taking his furlough weeks during our vacation weeks (has to be a full week instead of broken up into 2 weeks), but that means he has to be back to work on Monday, July 6th (for this particular trip). The good thing is we actually gained a night when we moved since we are going Sat-Sun now.

I'm here! Planning along with you for July (2-10) and praying it happens!

And since we will be at BLT and you at The CR, we must go back up to the TOTWL together again :love:

My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. Even though I have to do most of the work, I love the fact that the family gathers because they enjoy each other and not because of the gifts. ;)

We have a trip scheduled for July 1st to 6th at the Beach Club. We might cancel it, but are hanging on for now.

Happy belated birthday to Ricky. He is having a lot of disappointments lately. One of our grandsons had a birthday this week and he got a promise of a party instead a real one.

Chris is like our oldest grandson who doesn't want to go anywhere. ;)

Last edited:
:thumbsup2
My thoughts exactly. Logically, I understand it but my heart just wants to go back home.
I don't usually tear up when I see the castle but I don't care how silly or corny I look, I'll be crying when I get back there 🏰
So stopping back by because we changed our trip dates again.
Ugh! LOL another side effect of being quarantined!
Totally understand. It stinks we barely overlap now but I'm glad you still get to go! And yes we'll see each other on the 4th for sure 🎆
I'm here! Planning along with you for July (2-10) and praying it happens!

And since we will be at BLT and you at The CR, we must go back up to the TOTWL together again :love:
Just go with it WILL happen for us Kelly :hug: Keep planning! And I will never turn down a trip up to the TOTWL that's for sure!
My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. Even though I have to do most of the work, I love the fact that the family gathers because they enjoy each other and not because of the gifts. ;)
Love this :) I enjoy Thanksgiving too; we always do it at our house and it's lots of people. I don't have to cook since that's Steve's department lol. You're right in that there's no gifts or other "things" you need to do on this day except enjoy food and family, and for us of course watch the Macy's day parade!
Happy belated birthday to Ricky. He is having a lot of disappointments lately. One of our grandsons had a birthday this week and he got a promise of a party instead a real one.
I think that helped him not be so upset about his quarantine birthday if that makes sense. He's used to not expecting much? Which I hate but that will work itself out as time goes by. I know ideally he would have hung out with his friends/seen his girlfriend. For now he's fine with being patient until that can happen.
Chris is like our oldest grandson who doesn't want to go anywhere.
😂 he's so different than Ricky was a few years ago!
Yes, I'm here too, ready to be positive with you!
Whoo :welcome: Donna! It really is good to see so many friends here :love:
I took a little DIS break too - with everything going on, I wasn't real chipper for a while. Not necessarily depressed, just in a small period of mourning and letting go of the vision that I had for 2020. But it's still important to have things to look forward to, so I'm working on DD26 that she and the GD should tag along with me in 2021... Wish me luck!
When Disney first shut down I stayed away for a few days. I'd try coming on and just scoll and scroll, not really reading anything. Then finally I decided to just go on like I "normally" do and be happy I can, seeing so many friendly and familiar folks :goodvibes
I hope DD and DGD join you!!!!
Love me a good Canada Day - family time, good weather, parade, ice cream, music, dancing, fireworks - hey, sounds a lot like what I love about Disney!
I apologize to my Canadian friends for this, but while I certainly have HEARD about Canada Day I don't know much about it - but it sounds really fun!

Hi Ariane, just checking in to let you know I stopped by. I haven't been spending much time on the DIS lately. I wish I was, but I've had some stuff going on. I don't want to write a long doom and gloom post here, so I'll send you a PM.
Anyway, I hope I can follow along with your PTR.

Favourite holiday...well, I have never had much luck trying to post GiFs...but I guess I would say Christmas, followed very closely by Halloween.

Hi, I don't normally read this forum but your thread title caught my eye as I was scrolling down to another forum. As a mom of 2 boys who are also 4 years apart (one recently turned 17 year old and an almost 13 year old), who also has a trip planned around the same time (June 27th - July 7th -- BWV), I thought it would be interesting to hear your perspective since I'm also stressing about the what ifs right now. Looking forward to following along!

WOW! So awesome to see so many of you here! Since I don't usually bounce my trip plans off anyone before I go it's going to be really fun to see what everyone thinks! Especially since as many of you know I am not a huge plan ahead person and I know many of you are.

First let's go to everyone's favorite holiday 🐰
🦃 🎃 🇺🇸 We had one vote for Canada Day 🇨🇦 one for Thanksgiving, and St. Patrick's Day, one for the birthday of a favorite DIS'er 😉 , July 4th thrown in and really the one I can' wait for, the "Day Disney reopens" holiday!!! But the 2 top contenders not surprisingly were Halloween and Christmas; thank you for playing!

Now on to our July trip! Let me show you what the itinerary for someone who doesn't plan ahead looks like -

What are we even DOING???

I'll go with arrival day first even though we won't be doing much. Right now our Jetblue fight out is scheduled for late afternoon and we won't get in until about 6:45pm. When we made our flights before all this "mess", they were crazy high. We finally found a decent rate out of Albany but they do only have one flight out a day so there's nothing to change it to. But that's ok! We'll still have time for a great dinner when we arrive, so the plan right now is this:

-Land and take Lyft to the Contemporary. Our room should be ready so we'll drop bags and see if we have one of these sweet plates of goodness waiting for us again like we did last July:

Free macaroons, I'll take them anytime! Not sure why we got it other than that we're super cool. Ok, maybe I've heard of a few others getting this at the CR.............................

We won't have long to snack as I went ahead and made a dining reservation for 8:30. Yup, I don't normally make lots of ADR's but I know we will all be on the verge of hanger when we land and Steve does not even entertain the idea of eating at the airport before heading out. That's also cutting it close for some but we like to live on the edge. We aren't huge fans of QS and will take basically any excuse to eat a TS, so we'll put on our flippers and swim (probably boat - stay out of the lake!) over to the one, the only

Are we eating at Storybook Dining? If you know me you know the answer to that is a loud definitive NO!
We'll be getting our ketchup on at Whispering Canyon Cafe! I had dinner here last May and surprisingly loved my meaty skillet and all the fixin's that come with it. I know the boys will also love the skillet.
We've eaten lunch and breakfast there in recent years but not dinner and almost always end up with great servers! Here's our lunch server from way back in 2017:

plus eating here means I can see my lovely Lodge and - did you have any doubt - grab an arrival night one (or few) of these:

What's a report by me without the requisite Magic Bar shot?? This sounds like a good first night to me, last year we arrived around 6:30 on the 3rd and had an 8pm Narcoossee's reservation and it worked well. The kids wanted Narcoossee's again for the 3rd but weirdly enough, although for once I was on at 6am at day 180 there were no Narcoosee's for that night and nothing has become open yet. I know they both love it there and so do Steve and I but I like the idea of seeing the Lodge as soon as we arrive too much to change!

Then it'll be back to the Contemporary to unpack and chill as chilling is what the boys do best. I don't have a really early start for the 4th but instead kind of have it left up in the air.

Teens are........not the greatest with getting up early. In Disney Ricky will be fine with doing it because you know, he's a positive kinda guy and enjoys Disney and vacationing with us. Chris on the other hand -

So he tends to rarely agree to the early starts. I admit I'm far from a morning person either, unless I'm in Disney! I do like Disney naps though. And while we could just start later and go into the night, I have found on numerous trips that rope drop does in fact give you a really good advantage depending on park/day/hours/whether things tend to work in your favor or not/how good your luck is :scared: For instance, last year on July 4th we did RD at Epcot where they had EMH opening at 8. We rode all 3 headliners and LWTL by 9:30 and headed over to our Cape May breakfast so that was a win as far as getting things done .

AK has 8:00 EMH hours this year on the 4th. We will definitely do at least 1 or 2 early mornings and then later starts but which days and which parks are for the most part going to be dependent on the kids and what they want. The great thing about older kids who know their way around Disney is that if Steve and I want to go somewhere and they don't - we go! So it's easy for us to go out early and have the kids meet up with us later.

So as far as where we'll go when I do have a rough idea which will be solidified when I do fastpassses next month, but right now we're looking at this:

7/3: arrive in the evening and do dinner
7/4: AK; MK later with the dessert party
7/5: Disney Springs; Epcot
7/6: possibly MK
7/7: no idea
7/8: no idea
7/9: no idea

Looks great right? Raise your hand if you're hyperventilating now because I make FP's in less than a month and don't know what park we'll be in when!

Don't worry, I'll figure that out on May 3rd, the night before I do FP's. One thing I DO know is that as usual when we take the boys we'll be doing a couple "new to us" things which helps since the boys have been so often. We'll also spend a good amount of down time to satisfy them and I may even venture into a Disney pool for the first time in about 12 trips!

I hope all of you who celebrate Easter had a good day, I'm sure your day was different than usual Easters like ours was. My mom still isn't coming out and Steve's brother and his family who live local stayed home, but we did get to see our granddaughter! They live basically around the corner and we have seen them every Sunday since this started; my stepson isn't working now and they aren't seeing anyone else so as long as they're good bringing her over we're good with it.

We also celebrated Ricky's birthday again with Jay, our DIL Candace and Chef Hayden:

Who whipped up a quick birthday cake for her Uncle and loudly sang" TiTi (Ricky) Happ deedee!"

It was great, she loved finding eggs here and at home and it made the day go by and seem just a tad more normal.

In abnormal news Steve and I are watching way too much TV these days (who isn't?) and have run out of new shows/movies/series to watch. It is hard to find one that we both like because he has no sense of humor - he said nope to Schitt's Creek FYI . We're halfway through "Hunters" with Al Pacino and need something to watch next! So other than Tiger King help us out:

bingeedit.jpg

FYI when I post these things they're off center and cropped due to my logo on it :) Despite my tech deficiencies I do know they look weird! Can't wait to hear what I should watch!!

Hi Ariane, just checking in to let you know I stopped by
Hey Jeff, really glad to see you here :goodvibes
Anyway, I hope I can follow along with your PTR.
I hope so too! Whenever you have time an want to smile (or laugh or cringe, depending on how you take my reports lol) I do hope you stop by!
Late to the party, but here by page 2. Yay, me :)
Whoo-hoo! I'm glad you found me :cool1:
First gif for me, too, LOL. Fingers crossed!
LOL we are GOOD baby!
Hi, I don't normally read this forum but your thread title caught my eye as I was scrolling down to another forum.
Hello and :welcome: so glad you stopped here! I don't usually do PTR's but I think we all need some extra DIS time these days to make us smile more.
As a mom of 2 boys who are also 4 years apart (one recently turned 17 year old and an almost 13 year old), who also has a trip planned around the same time (June 27th - July 7th -- BWV), I thought it would be interesting to hear your perspective since I'm also stressing about the what ifs right now. Looking forward to following along!
Well I hope you enjoy the report and get some ideas! Is it your/their first trip? It's so different planning for teens than young kids and we've had to work out how to keep it "fresh" for them so they want to keep going. And we'll be at the same resort as you -just on the other side - the 5-7th!
Joining in to follow along with the fun! I'm late on my favorite holiday:
Hi there, glad you're here! I hope you enjoy and your favorite holiday is the "winner" here lol. And I don't think I can ever get enough of seeing Carlton dance :dancer:so I appreciate the GIF!
I am a big fan of Below Deck on Bravo!
Ooh we've watched bits and pieces of a few episodes but never a full season or anything. That's an idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter