Swimming Etiquette.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from what any of us think, isn't it stated on the pool rules, something to the effect of "proper attire must be worn"? It is at our local pools, I'm going to look back at my pics from our Poly stays and see if I have one of the pool rules...

Hygiene-wise....not crazy about it BUT it's only sexual if you make it sexual. Maybe some folks should put away their trench coats. :rolleyes:

So, if they chose to fornicate on the lounge chairs or pool that would be okay too, right? :sad2:
Yes, apparently to some here.:lmao: Then, those of us who are rightfully disgusted by it would be told we're prudes.:rolleyes:

No one wants to see your junk or your kids junk! Put it away!:sick::laughing:

Yes, apparently to some here.:lmao: Then, those of us who are rightfully disgusted by it would be told we're prudes.:rolleyes:

No one wants to see your junk or your kids junk! Put it away!:sick::laughing:

Hi! Agreed. It wouldn't matter what they wore in an adult resort. But with little kids around....? Sorry, not acceptable.

So, if they chose to fornicate on the lounge chairs or pool that would be okay too, right? :sad2:

so... now we're equating a little girl going topless with people having sex poolside.

internet arguments are hilarious.

lol. don't think anyone was having sex poolside so not sure how that came into the discussion.

Sounds like the OPs original family example was just not fitting in with the norm at the resort pool, and I can see how that would irritate people. I think there are signs about wearing swimwear or appropriate wear, but the problem is that everyone's idea of that is a bit different. For instance, the old guys in thongs poolside are totally NOT appropriate and kind of icky too, but no one stops them and makes them change.

:rotfl:

so... now we're equating a little girl going topless with people having sex poolside.

internet arguments are hilarious.

Probably. I was just pointing out the lunacy of the statement that quote was attached to. (The one suggesting that the decision should be made by the ones wearing the underwear) Of course I am not equating the two. But it is a related issue. Isn't there a reason for swimwear being what it is? In the OP, reference was made to a group swimming in their underwear. Cotton tends to be transparent when wet and if we were at Hedonism in Jamaica, no problem. But at Disney, such behavior seems a bit too racy for children to be subjected to..

I am not uptight nor a prude. But when children are present, certain standards should be considered.

Maybe this family had traveled a very long distance and was still waiting for their suits from Magical Express?? They were hot? Also if Im in my bathing suit and have to go use the ladies room am I not then allowed to use the pool? These are children and I cant tell you how many times my daughter or son have had a little accident wearing their "bathing suit". Underwear-Bathing suit??!! Swimmy diapers?? They are gross too!! Too many examples to list. Not a big fan of nude children, just because of pervies, but it doesnt bother me personally.

I think it's pretty hilarious that, essentially, we are debating whether or not it's ok to swim in your underwear at WDW. Say that out loud to someone close to you and see if they laugh and ask, seriously?

I think it's pretty hilarious that, essentially, we are debating whether or not it's ok to swim in your underwear at WDW. Say that out loud to someone close to you and see if they laugh and ask, seriously?

I agree. :thumbsup2

It's just not appropriate behavior to go swimming in your underwear.

It is perfectly acceptable and common throughout much of Europe for pre-pubescent girls to wear bottoms only. It is really isn't the end of the world. Good thing everyone made them feel comfortable by staring at her and talking about how disgusting it was :rolleyes:

I HATE when people say this!:confused3 Just because it's considered "normal" or "acceptable" in another country, does not make it "normal" or "acceptable" here in the good ole U S of A! :rolleyes1

Assuming the girl was flat chested, I think a bikini top is WAAAAY more sexualizing than topless. It implies some sexuality where actually there is not.

However, if she was already developing, then I agree it would have been inappropriate considering the American customs - still fine in less prude cultures.

About underwear vs. swimwear, how could you even tell if she was not wearing something sold as swimwear? They look all the same for kids (hopefully it didn't look like something from Victoria's Secret catalogue).

I'm with the OP. I find the behavior strange and inappropriate. A CM should have discussed this with the family.

I saw topless girls in pools many times, makes you know right away they are from Europe. No big deal IMO since at this age both girls and boys are equaly flat. What exactly makes some people uncomfortable is a mistery to me. :confused3

It may the norm in Europe, but Disney World is located in central Florida USA and it is proper to be respectful of the customs of the area in which you are visiting. When I lived overseas, it was my responsibility to acquaint myself the customs. It would have been rude and insensitive of me choose to dress according to my standards without regard to the community in which I lived.

Exactly..well said! :thumbsup2 my bold

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter