• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Swim wear dress code for community pool?

This would be a good meeting to go to and sit in the back and just watch/listen.
200.gif

-This thread makes me happy I don't have a community pool or an HOA!
I loved having the community/city pools growing up...and so did my parents lol

Taking us to the big water theme park here was a journey, but much easier when we wanted our pool fix to go much more frequently to the community/city pools. I can't imagine a summer as a kid in the heat and humidity without one.

The downside right now is pools since 2020 have had issues getting lifeguards so some locations may not open, our HOA community pool does not have lifeguards on duty so all that stands in the way of opening is passing pool inspection by the city.

Several thoughts:
- I've never lived in a place with an HOA, but it seems to me that the community should have a vote on appropriate pool clothing, and then everyone should be required to abide by the ruling.
I strongly suspect the majority of the community will be against topless sunbathing and naked butt cheeks.
- I agree with a previous poster that the community needs cameras /needs to charge the people who leave a mess (especially glass!). It wouldn't be outrageous to take away their pool access for the rest of the season.
- Who would enforce it? Well, who enforces other rules in the community? Who takes care of cleaning the pool, etc.?

- I've never lived in a place with an HOA, but it seems to me that the community should have a vote on appropriate pool clothing, and then everyone should be required to abide by the ruling.
This would depend on how the HOA is set up. Our is a very large developer one (as are a lot of HOAs in our metro) so usually the developer has the rules set up which is filed through the city.

As far as voting that normally is what the Board is for. It would be impossible to get all 700 homes to vote on just one thing when the covenants don't require a vote for it and paperwork is only sent out through the mail once per year with our HOA dues letter. Everything else is electronic through eNeighbors. We don't have 700 homes yet but it's about 630 or so at the moment with 700 planned. Voting is only required when our HOA dues would be increasing by more than 50% of what they were.

When our pool rules have been adjusted over the years it was strictly through Board meetings where homeowners could discuss it and often residents would pass along their concerns. If the amount of concerns was enough that's when it would be discussed at the Board meeting which pre-covid was in person but presently is virtual.

Our HOA is still developer controlled although pool rules are largely changeable to a point and adjustments can be made to meet individual neighborhood issues.

For ours when the rules change (which they did in 2019 and now again in 2022) they've required people sign off on them. Since the pool fob started being used it was easy to just not turn it on for access until you sign off saying you've read the rules. But they do not ask for all the homeowners to vote on the rules, that's what the Board is there for.

I would hope that inviting all the homeowners to a meeting to vote on some guidelines and then making a blanket "if these issues continue we will be forced to close the pool to anyone that does not have a legal homeowner (on the title, not a teenager) PRESENT with them at the pool at all times." would help - though the reality is it probably wouldn't.

I had friends in a neighborhood with an (unsupervised but locked with rules posted) HOA pool and the first 10 years they were there it was great because everyone pretty much followed the rules of an adult present, the adult only hours, etc. Then about 15 years ago it became a nightmare. It seemed like everyone and their brother had a key and no adults anywhere. My friend's teens wouldn't go near it with a 10 ft pool because they didn't want to get caught up in the drama. I felt so sorry for the people who lived near the pool!

I loved having the community/city pools growing up...and so did my parents lol

Taking us to the big water theme park here was a journey, but much easier when we wanted our pool fix to go much more frequently to the community/city pools. I can't imagine a summer as a kid in the heat and humidity without one.

The downside right now is pools since 2020 have had issues getting lifeguards so some locations may not open, our HOA community pool does not have lifeguards on duty so all that stands in the way of opening is passing pool inspection by the city.
I grew up in a neighborhood where backyard pools were common. We didn't have one, about the only house in the area without one. Just hung out with my friends who had a pool when I wanted to swim. No community pool. Long after I moved out of my parents house a neighboring park district "incorporated" my parents neighborhood. A money grab my parents and their neighbors had no say in. The park district just want the park tax from those homes. They never built any parks in my parents neighborhood, simply because there was no place to put one.
Past 39 years I have lived in a neighborhood where backyard pools are common. I don't have one. We had a couple of community pools, they have since been filled in. People who want to swim have their own pools.

My daughters are 19, 21, and 25, and while they don’t wear full-on thongs, their bottoms are pretty cheeky, I see picture of them with all of their friends, not a cheek covered. Fortunately that wasn’t the style back in my finer days.

I grew up in a neighborhood where backyard pools were common. We didn't have one, about the only house in the area without one. Just hung out with my friends who had a pool when I wanted to swim. No community pool. Long after I moved out of my parents house a neighboring park district "incorporated" my parents neighborhood. A money grab my parents and their neighbors had no say in. The park district just want the park tax from those homes. They never built any parks in my parents neighborhood, simply because there was no place to put one.
Past 39 years I have lived in a neighborhood where backyard pools are common. I don't have one. We had a couple of community pools, they have since been filled in. People who want to swim have their own pools.
Backyard pools were common here too but they are expensive as well. Above ground pools have their own cons to it.

Community/city pools (including city rec centers) were an economical way many parents could do it. It's a sign of a good community too for cities to have them. It means the needs and desire of many are being considered.

In our neighborhood you can have your own pool as well. It'll cost you $35-$50K. In ground pools are only allowed. My neighbor has one.

Backyard pools were common here too but they are expensive as well. Above ground pools have their own cons to it.

Community/city pools (including city rec centers) were an economical way many parents could do it. It's a sign of a good community too for cities to have them. It means the needs and desire of many are being considered.

In our neighborhood you can have your own pool as well. It'll cost you $35-$50K. In ground pools are only allowed. My neighbor has one.
Like I said, we had many community pools, but many have closed. $35,-$50,000 is the going rate here for a basic in ground pool. Less than many folks spend remodeling their kitchens.

Like I said, we had many community pools, but many have closed. $35,-$50,000 is the going rate here for a basic in ground pool. Less than many folks spend remodeling their kitchens.
An inground very basic 15x25 pool is $75k. A pool anyone actually wants is easily $150k. You might and I stress might be able to get a liner pool for $50k but would be maybe 10x15. The price of concrete has gone through the roof.

We're not talking about remodeling kitchens. Are you out of reach with people to not see that $35-$50K is expensive? Because even in the affluent area that I live I understand that one.

In any case this is just getting way off topic for this thread so yeah let's just not.

An inground very basic 15x25 pool is $75k. A pool anyone actually wants is easily $150k. You might and I stress might be able to get a liner pool for $50k but would be maybe 10x15. The price of concrete has gone through the roof.
Yeah not sure about currently speaking. I know that my neighbor built his for the price range I listed in 2016/2017/2018 can't exactly remember. I'm sure pricing right now is not at all favorable.

I forget how much my in-law's above ground pool was but they got a huge one I think it's like 30 feet in diameter?? It's a round one. It cost a lot too but significantly less than an in ground one would have.

We're not talking about remodeling kitchens. Are you out of reach with people to not see that $35-$50K is expensive? Because even in the affluent area that I live I understand that one.

In any case this is just getting way off topic for this thread so yeah let's just not.
Well, with the average cost of a new car topping $47,000, I think an argument can be made that many folks don't consider that amount of money. Most folks pay off that new car in 5 or 6 years or less. A lot of folks lump the cost of a pool into their mortgage over 30 years.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/average-new-car-price-tops-47000/

I would question how the HOA plans to enforce the rules. If there’s no life guard on duty, who’s going to enforce or patrol a dress code.

You already mentioned that the pool closes at dark, so they’re already disobeying entering through the gym. Is someone going to be on duty to stop or call the police for trespassing?

Essentially, to some people, rules without enforcement are just guidelines.

My daughters are 19, 21, and 25, and while they don’t wear full-on thongs, their bottoms are pretty cheeky, I see picture of them with all of their friends, not a cheek covered. Fortunately that wasn’t the style back in my finer days.

My DD is 22 and her swim suits have been "cheeky" for years. All the swim team girls wore their one-piece practice suits that way and then one size smaller than a non-swim team girl would wear. Even the competition suits were "cheeky". My DD loves suits from Joyln, this is the last bottom she bought which I'm sure would not pass muster :rolleyes: https://jolyn.com/products/bikini-bottoms-alanna?variant=40940837994669 .

Those don’t account for the new pandemic prices. Between more people wanting a resort experience at home and supply chain pricing it is currently crazy.

We were able to get a 12x12 spool(spa pool) priced out at $30k. And that was a liner.

What we really wanted started at $150k. A 6 foot spa and a 12x18 pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter