Swim wear dress code for community pool?

Those don’t account for the new pandemic prices. Between more people wanting a resort experience at home and supply chain pricing it is currently crazy.

We were able to get a 12x12 spool(spa pool) priced out at $30k. And that was a liner.

What we really wanted started at $150k. A 6 foot spa and a 12x18 pool.
The article is from three weeks ago, so that should include the most recent situation. I'm not going to argue with Bob Villa.

thoughts or any suggestions...
Sure. First, remove any language that seems to implicate a person’s choice in swim wear for the behavior of another person. Don’t make this about, “your immodest clothing will inflame the men and make them do bad things.” It’s a bad argument in the first place and completely unnecessary.

You can set a standard based on basic social norms. One that reminds everyone that people of all ages and from all over use this amenity and they may have differing standards of modesty. So in the interest of everyone giving just a little so we all can get along…

Then you set a very loose “decency” standard. Tops stay on and cover the baby-feeders, bottoms need to cover the bum crack from top to bottom. And that’s it. If other people can’t handle a girl with a bit of it on display, they shouldn’t be there. If kids are dressing too provocative… holy cow, leave that alone, that’s between them and their parents.

Congratulations, and welcome to the minefield.

Who would enforce a dress code -- the HOA police?

would question how the HOA plans to enforce the rules. If there’s no life guard on duty, who’s going to enforce or patrol a dress code.
The hoa can field complaints from residents.
Getting cameras up would be an important step..
- I agree with a previous poster that the community needs cameras /needs to charge the people who leave a mess (especially glass!). It wouldn't be
The tech for camera surveillance is such now that they can be made to automatically blur the face or body of a person just a bit. But what I prefer is in addition to a couple regular cameras, add another one and smear petroleum jelly on the lens. Then when you have to show a video to someone filing a complaint or whatever you make access to the blurry video so they can point out who did it but not take home any salacious evidence.

Several thoughts:
- I've never lived in a place with an HOA, but it seems to me that the community should have a vote on appropriate pool clothing, and then everyone should be required to abide by the ruling.
I strongly suspect the majority of the community will be against topless sunbathing and naked butt cheeks.
- I agree with a previous poster that the community needs cameras /needs to charge the people who leave a mess (especially glass!). It wouldn't be outrageous to take away their pool access for the rest of the season.
- Who would enforce it? Well, who enforces other rules in the community? Who takes care of cleaning the pool, etc.?

Op here,

I'm sure there will some type of vote... on swimwear... and what is going to be considered family friendly...

Except on the safety items, no glass in pool or pool deck, no afterhours swimming this is a safety issue, we have camera's so that's how they knew who was in there after hours...

So in just discussing it with some neighbors some people think suspending them from pool use will curb this, others feel a monetary fine would be better deterrent to curb this behavior... or maybe both... so this will come up to a vote...

For me this is a pet peeve, I get really aggravated when other residents just get up and leave their trash laying about, for the next resident to have to clean up before we can use a table, or even a lounger...We have several trash cans inside the pool deck, as well on the outside of the clubhouse, and gym... I can't understand why they just can't take the trash and just simply throw it away...

My daughters are 19, 21, and 25, and while they don’t wear full-on thongs, their bottoms are pretty cheeky, I see picture of them with all of their friends, not a cheek covered.

My DD is 22 and her swim suits have been "cheeky" for years. All the swim team girls wore their one-piece practice suits that way and then one size smaller than a non-swim team girl would wear. Even the competition suits were "cheeky". My DD loves suits from Joyln, this is the last bottom she bought which I'm sure would not pass muster :rolleyes: https://jolyn.com/products/bikini-bottoms-alanna?variant=40940837994669 .
This is exactly why I think trying to come up with rules about "family friendly" or "appropriate" swimwear is going to get controversial. Everyone has different ideas because it's subjective. I think some people are imagining the OP was talking about pre-teens in actual thongs while the rest of us are assuming they were just wearing "regular" modern bathing suits.

The suit I mentioned upthread that my daughter had an issue with was what I would have considered a normal athletic one piece suit where she was "appropriately" covered. Apparently the mom who had an issue with it felt that if absolutely every inch of her backside wasn't inside the suit (preferably a skirt to hide even the outline of her bottom) then it was the same as wearing a thong.

I know some people who think a two-piece on a baby/small child is absolutely unacceptable whereas I see it as practical and often (in cases of kids with long torsos) the two piece actually covers more skin than a one piece that is riding up because it's too short.

When you put up a sign with your "new" rules, it wouldn't hurt to add a line like, "Leave the space as you find it" or something similar. Personally, I prefer the statement "Your mother doesn't live here, you will have to pick up after yourself!", but that may not be appropriate for this situation.

I think the gym needs a "one-way exit" door, and then a separate locked gate to go to the pool. You'll never stop fence-jumpers, but why make it easy for them?

It's a shame that common decency is becoming so uncommon.

I looked up my Community Center’s pool rules and the vague statement “Appropriate Swimwear is Required” is listed. There is a HOA member at the gate and I suppose he/she is the arbitrator of what is appropriate. So far I’ve never heard of any issues or complaints about being denied admission.

What type of pool material?
Plaster over gunite/shotcrerte

The spool quote was a liner but since there is still a great deal of concrete involved in a liner pool those prices have greatly increased as well.

In each case the quotes included 200 sqft of decking but based on what we really wanted/needed we would need to pay for an additional 400 sqft of concrete.

Just adding a 6 or 8 foot spa added 30k to the price of the pool.

The spool quote was a liner but since there is still a great deal of concrete involved in a liner pool those prices have greatly increased as well.

In each case the quotes included 200 sqft of decking but based on what we really wanted/needed we would need to pay for an additional 400 sqft of concrete.

I also got some bids, and own one already that I wanted to replace. In my area fiberglass is much cheaper than the alternatives though. I had a feeling it was gunite as those bids were much higher. Albeit a good choice in construction. And ya a spa is insanely expensive to add here also.

The tech for camera surveillance is such now that they can be made to automatically blur the face or body of a person just a bit. But what I prefer is in addition to a couple regular cameras, add another one and smear petroleum jelly on the lens. Then when you have to show a video to someone filing a complaint or whatever you make access to the blurry video so they can point out who did it but not take home any salacious evidence.
OK, what's the point of blurring the faces/body? First, you want to be able to identify people. So if you're not going to blur enough that you can still identify them, why blur at all? If you ARE going to blur enough to block identification, why have the cameras at all?

Now, you CAN easily limit who has access to see the cameras live, see the recorded footage, and download video.

I would question how the HOA plans to enforce the rules. If there’s no life guard on duty, who’s going to enforce or patrol a dress code.

You already mentioned that the pool closes at dark, so they’re already disobeying entering through the gym. Is someone going to be on duty to stop or call the police for trespassing?

Essentially, to some people, rules without enforcement are just guidelines.

I agree. Before some HOA committee spends a lot of time trying to write a document regarding pool rules they should determine with local authorities what is actually enforceable and by whom. Have lived in some places where they publish detailed/elaborate documents with no way to enforce. Those are just a lot of 'huffing/puffing' by the HOA and people ignore them.

Pool access should obviously be secured particularly during off hours to prevent unauthorized use. Locking gates/barriers/etc. can be put up for that purpose. Defining and enforcing subjective 'appropriate clothing' rules is much more difficult.

Last edited:
I agree. Before some HOA committee spends a lot to trying to write a document regarding pool rules they should determine with local authorities what is actually enforceable and by whom.
Excellent point. A rule that can't be enforced isn't a rule.
Op here,

I'm sure there will some type of vote... on swimwear... and what is going to be considered family friendly...

Except on the safety items, no glass in pool or pool deck, no afterhours swimming this is a safety issue, we have camera's so that's how they knew who was in there after hours...

So in just discussing it with some neighbors some people think suspending them from pool use will curb this, others feel a monetary fine would be better deterrent to curb this behavior... or maybe both... so this will come up to a vote...

For me this is a pet peeve, I get really aggravated when other residents just get up and leave their trash laying about, for the next resident to have to clean up before we can use a table, or even a lounger...We have several trash cans inside the pool deck, as well on the outside of the clubhouse, and gym... I can't understand why they just can't take the trash and just simply throw it away...
I think a vote on fines /suspension would be fair too. There's no excuse for leaving trash around, so I personally would vote for BOTH. Some people would be hurt by a fine, others would be hurt by a suspension -- so I'd say hit wrong-doers with BOTH.

I occasionally have to supervise the school cafeteria during lunch. A number of kids -- same ones every day -- leave their lunch trash on the tables. Some people are TRASH themselves.

I know from previous posts that you live in that Atlanta area as well. We live in Kennesaw and at two different times (as recently as six months ago) we got quotes for pools and your numbers are about spot on. We already did quite a bit with decking and landscaping that was part of one of the quotes, but the pool itself was still going to be over $120,000. The pricing really is outrageous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter