Swan/dolphin Questions !!!!

TigrLvsPooh said:
Last June we had amazing meals at Shula's, Bluezoo, Palio, and Kimonos.

I just wanted you to know that Palio is now closed. I loved that restaurant and am very sad it is gone. I heard a new italian restaurant is moving in. My DH is there now on a convention and walked through the Swan lobby this morning and told me that entire area is boarded off due to the construction. Also, concierge service is still there but not the lounge, they also got rid of that which was another service I really loved. I just loved Thabo and really did miss him this year. I heard he is doing something over at the Dolphin but he will surely be missed.

DisneyFans4 said:
I just wanted you to know that Palio is now closed. I loved that restaurant and am very sad it is gone. I heard a new italian restaurant is moving in. My DH is there now on a convention and walked through the Swan lobby this morning and told me that entire area is boarded off due to the construction. Also, concierge service is still there but not the lounge, they also got rid of that which was another service I really loved. I just loved Thabo and really did miss him this year. I heard he is doing something over at the Dolphin but he will surely be missed.

Oh no, DH loves Palio's. While making ADR's for our trip last week, I was told it was being refurbished not closed. I'm sure the next restaurant will be just as good. S/D have exceptional restaurants!

DisneyFans4 said:
I found during our past trip that all restaurants in Disney are sensitive to food allergies. Each restaurant we went to the chef would actually come out and asked what my son planned on ordering and at times discouraged him from certain items either because certain items may have nuts in them or were cooked with something where nuts were nearby which I thought was terrific.

I found the same to be true with the pink gel-type soap and it was drying for me to and I have very sensitive skin. I used the oatmeal soap the entire time. I also bring my own shampoos and shower gels from home since I am sensitive.

I didn't know that the room service at the Swan was rated so high, no wonder it was so good. I've never had room service before so I can't compare with any other hotel but I can tell you the room service at the Swan is up there in my book and I would never hesitate. It's funny you mention Kimonos because me and DH love it there! We would actually order room service for my boys and then we would go downstairs to Kimonos!!!:thumbsup2

Wow, I'm impressed the chef would come out to speak with your son! That is wonderful and reassuring. You can never be too careful.
DH has made many trips to Kimono's when I was too tired but I enjoy eating in the restaurant the most. Luckily, all three of our children love california rolls. I enjoyed them more than at "Japan" in Epcot.

I'm already missing S/D and it's been less than a week since we were there princess:

CindeBella said:
I'm already missing S/D and it's been less than a week since we were there

I still miss it and we were there the first 2 weeks in August and DH is there now but not staying at the Swan. He can't bring himself to stay there and is at the Boardwalk. I don't know why Palio is closing but I heard a chain is coming in but an upscale italian restaurant. Good thing I purchased 2 Boccalini mugs as souveniers when I was there last because now it is my only memory of Palio.

As far as my son with the nut allergy I too was shocked when the chef actually came out but I guess who would know better what is in the food or how it is cooked than the chef! Allergies must have become such a serious problem that they do this now because they never did before. Before they take your order the waiter/waitress asks first if there are any food allergies.

LOL about the soap, I felt silly mentioning it but I love that oatmeal soap and the skin lotion. We did have the oatmeal soap last week (yea) 9/28-10/5 and I am so glad. During our april trip to the Boardwalk I took a walk over to the Dolphin and asked to purchase some of the oatmeal soap as the dove at the BWI was making me miserable ! Jessica at the front desk saved my vacation!!

As for parking, yes its 8.00 per day for self park, don't know about valet.

Hoping to get a good rate for our Easter stay so we can switch from POFQ, so far no luck.

TJ

tjmw2727 said:
During our april trip to the Boardwalk I took a walk over to the Dolphin and asked to purchase some of the oatmeal soap as the dove at the BWI was making me miserable ! TJ

Dove!! My DH is staying at the BWI now for a convention and must be hating that!!!

DisneyFans4 said:
As far as my son with the nut allergy I too was shocked when the chef actually came out but I guess who would know better what is in the food or how it is cooked than the chef! Allergies must have become such a serious problem that they do this now because they never did before. Before they take your order the waiter/waitress asks first if there are any food allergies.

I believe it's Disney standard to go above and beyond, especially where children are concerned. It seems that there is always a child with a nut allergy in one of my children's classes. That makes me very precautious being a room parent. I can't imagine how many children with allergies visit Disney on a daily basis.

I don't think I could stay at The Swan w/out my family either. Hopefully, your husband is enjoying the F&W Festival. We loved it and plan to go back every year now. DH and I liked the beer course from Samuel Adams too.

Thanks for the replies on the self-parking and valet parking prices. Just a little over two months to go to our next stay at the Swan. I need to update my sig. and countdown clock.

CindeBella said:
I believe it's Disney standard to go above and beyond, especially where children are concerned. It seems that there is always a child with a nut allergy in one of my children's classes. That makes me very precautious being a room parent. I can't imagine how many children with allergies visit Disney on a daily basis.

Yes, allergies are a big concern and even when I ordered from room service at the Swan they asked if there were any concerns. I know very well about the schools. I'm a lunchaide at my local elementary school and the children that have the nut allergies have to sit at a separate table and I can't tell you how many are at that table!

My DH is on his way home today. He loved the F&W Festival and he went to the Not So Scary Halloween Party last night at the MK and loved it!! He goes to that every year as well when he's there so long as it's being held when he is there. I collect pins so they have special ones that come out during the party.

DisneyFans4 said:
Yes, allergies are a big concern and even when I ordered from room service at the Swan they asked if there were any concerns. I know very well about the schools. I'm a lunchaide at my local elementary school and the children that have the nut allergies have to sit at a separate table and I can't tell you how many are at that table!

Soory to hickjack a thread, but...
I'm sorry, but this sounds totally awful to me. The children with allergies are segregated!!?!?!? As someone with a nut allergy, I can tell you I would have found this situation terrible. It's hard enough to be a kid. Sorry. I don't love being around peanut butter, but I'd rather be near it than be segregated. I'm glad my school didn't do that.

I have also found the staff to be excellent regarding helping me find my way around nuts in foods. One place where they use lots of nuts is Wolfgang Puck's. Not the quick serve eatery, but the table service place.
The only thing I would be slightly critcal of is that Disney can sometimes be a tad overzealous - it's as much about lawsuits as loving kids or anyone else.
Numerous times staff has told me to avoid anyhting made with chocolate, or anything not made at WDW (the bread at Marrakesh), though the risk of cross contamination is low. I've had the Zebra domes, for example, at Boma a number of times and never had a reaction to them. I suppose there are people out there who are more sensative than I am, and I'm not complaining that they tell me about the risk of cross contamination, just that soetimes it seems a little over done. When I react, it is helpful if I know what item it was that caused the reaction in the first place, soI can guage how much I might have injested.

Our DD(9) has severe dairy and nut allergies, it is safe to say we have had excellent experiences at several Disney restaurants. At the Chef Mickey character dinner, a chef actually came out and walked us thru the buffet pointing out what she could and could not eat and then made a special dairy free dessert for her. The chefs working at Spoodles on the Boardwalk have also been wonderful. We have stayed at the Dolphin several times and all their restaurants were very happy to show us their notebooks which detail the ingredients in all their food. Eateries in MK, Epcot, MGM and AK also have easily accessible ingredient lists.

mickeyluv'r said:
Soory to hickjack a thread, but...
I'm sorry, but this sounds totally awful to me. The children with allergies are segregated!!?!?!? As someone with a nut allergy, I can tell you I would have found this situation terrible. It's hard enough to be a kid. Sorry. I don't love being around peanut butter, but I'd rather be near it than be segregated. I'm glad my school didn't do that.

It may seem harsh for a child but most of these kids understand the reason. One of the mom's told me if her son touches a lunch table where a nut product has been, it could be fatal. Most parents don't know this... I didn't. Just a couple of weeks ago, she chased him down to smell his fingers after he touched a lunch table. I can't imagine having that fear all of the time. We all know how messy small children can be. My belief is it's better to be safe than sorry, especially in this situation. We all have to look out for the little ones princess:

DisneyFans4 said:
My DH is on his way home today. He loved the F&W Festival and he went to the Not So Scary Halloween Party last night at the MK and loved it!! He goes to that every year as well when he's there so long as it's being held when he is there. I collect pins so they have special ones that come out during the party.

Sounds like your DH had a wonderful time! DH and I went to the MNSSHP on the 2nd. It was packed. The parade was fun, seeing all of the villians, and the castle was beautiful.
DH and I decided we would like to come to every F&W from now on.

We gave our children pins and lanyards that we got on our trip last week. We weren't sure if the boys would be interested but they really liked them. I'm not so sure if they're going to want to trade their favorite pins though. lol.

Your lucky DH.. to be paid to go to Disney! Sounds like a dream job princess:

we1luv1dis said:
Our DD(9) has severe dairy and nut allergies, it is safe to say we have had excellent experiences at several Disney restaurants. At the Chef Mickey character dinner, a chef actually came out and walked us thru the buffet pointing out what she could and could not eat and then made a special dairy free dessert for her. The chefs working at Spoodles on the Boardwalk have also been wonderful. We have stayed at the Dolphin several times and all their restaurants were very happy to show us their notebooks which detail the ingredients in all their food. Eateries in MK, Epcot, MGM and AK also have easily accessible ingredient lists.

That's wonderful... the mom that I mentioned earlier, wants to plan a trip to Dsiney. She will be thrilled to know the chefs will take that extra step. princess:

Yes - The beds at the Swan are still queen sized and the Dolphin are doubles. As far as the refridgerator goes - we were able to get one for the week for $12.00 (cheaper than messing with the mini-bar). While I could have pushed to get it for free for my husband's diabetic supplies I didn't bother. We were upgraded to a balcony room and will DEFINATELY stay there again! The room service was awesome and no one had a problem falling asleep in the comfy beds! :cloud9:

From the Swan/Dolphin web site:

AND COMING SOON:

Il Mulino New York Trattoria!

Traditional Italian cuisine from the Abruzzi region of Italy,
served in a lively bistro environment. Features a diverse
offering of elegantly and bountifully presented dishes,
prepared from original Italian recipes.

ctbasketlady said:
From the Swan/Dolphin web site:

AND COMING SOON:

Il Mulino New York Trattoria!

Traditional Italian cuisine from the Abruzzi region of Italy,
served in a lively bistro environment. Features a diverse
offering of elegantly and bountifully presented dishes,
prepared from original Italian recipes.

Thanks for posting! I can't wait to try it out. I've read Il Mulino restaurant in NY is amazing. Here is a review:
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/mag/article.pl?article_id=25390&base=25391

princess:

Il Mulino is a good restaurant but I've never been to the one in NYC even though I'm here in NJ.

Well....DH came back yesterday and had a great time!! He got all of us pins and my NNSH tee shirt. I have last year's shirt and of course I wanted this year's. The promotion where you can get the throw for $15 if you spend $60 is beautiful!!!

He already got the dates for next year's convention so he can't wait. Once I know I can leave my boys alone then I plan to go!!!!!!

Glad to hear your DH had a good trip! I really wanted that throw, I saw it after I bought most of the souveneirs already. I didn't spend $60 at the shop that carried them =( I asked if I could show them all of my receipts that totaled a lot more than $60 but she said no. I was able to do that in May. I love the one I got then.

I would definitely go if my husband we were planning a trip to Disney. While he's at his convention, you can spend time at the spa at the Dolphin and DD if you didn't want to go to the parks alone. Sounds like fun!! As much as I love going to Disney with our 3 children, we enjoyed our time there as well princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter