Swan/dolphin Questions !!!!

CindeBella said:
We just returned from our first Dolphin stay a couple of days ago. We have always stayed at the Swan. The was our first trip without our 3 lovely children. We wanted to experience an adult Disney vacation of fine dining and moving at our own pace.

We had a king room with a distant view of the MK. We were able to see the fireworks in the evening which were amazing! We didn't ask for this or pay extra.

As far as a shuttle from the airport... to be honest, we were happy to pay the $109 for a car to take us to and from the airport. Not only for comfort but to save time. We arrived at 11am and wanted to get a start on the F&W Festival at Epcot. Our room wasn't ready at the time of arrival, which was a first, so we left our bags at the bellstand and went to Epcot. The Swan/Dolphin have drivers all the time which makes it nice if you don't want to ride the bus. We used a driver to take us to the Contemporary for breakfast one morning at the end of our stay.
The hotels also have very nice restaurants. This was our first time dining at Shulas and the food/service was outstanding! The best dining experience yet.
Our drinks were very strong, only ordered one :rotfl2: and our waiter sent us a complimentary molten cake that was AMAZING. The Bluezoo was very good as well.

ADR can be made regardless of where you are staying. Those that live near by make them as well.

The only complaint I have is that we tend to find additional charges on our bill at times. This time there was a $2 charge for something that was not specified but was taken off. Not a big deal being $2 but they did not explain the charge. There is a charge for the mini bar if things are moved around.. we were told there is a scale. Not sure how accurate that info is but we have seen charges for items that we have not taken. In fact, we have never taken a single item. I have asked that the bar be locked and food be taken out when we are traveling with our 3 children which they have done. They did let us use the mini refrigerator when our daughter's formula needed to be kept refrigerated, at no additional charge. Don't let those things give you a bad take on the hotel, just check your bill. The good far exceed the bad! The employee at the bellstand could not find our return reservation to the airport from Happy Limo, he gave us a voucher for a complimentary service to the airport. Our driver showed up so we did not need it.

Also, sign up for a preferred guest on Starwood's website.

Have a good trip!! princess:

How far in advance did you make your Shula's reservation? I am thinking of canceling our Dec 16th ADR at the Yatchman's and trying Shula's instead.

We will be at the Swan for the first time, since June of 2005, this coming December. Does anyone know what the current rate is for valet and for self parking and for internet service?

DisneyFans4 said:
When we were there in August the bus was not shared with YC or BC. It was Boardwalk, Swan and then Dolphin. Guess they realized the old way was just way too crowded for that bus. Depending on where it was going sometimes the Swan was the first stop.

Interesting, as we were just at the Dolphin last week, 9/28-10/6. We definately stopped at the YC/BC and then the Boardwalk on the way to MK. On the way to AK we stopped at the YC/BC but not the Boardwalk. Then on the way to DTD we stopped at YC/BC then the Boardwalk and then TL, on the way back the Swan was the first stop on every occasion.

Perhaps it varies depending on crowds?

TJ

That would explain why at times the Swan was the first stop and then Dolphin and then the parks. I guess certain times the Boardwalk was the first stop and then it went onto YC and then BC. We were there for 14 days in August and not once did our bus stop at the YC or BC. Maybe it does depend on the crowds but it was pretty crowded the first 2 weeks in August.

Tiffany said:
How far in advance did you make your Shula's reservation? I am thinking of canceling our Dec 16th ADR at the Yatchman's and trying Shula's instead.

We made the ADR's that afternoon. We were too tired to shuttle to the restaurant we planned that evening. We were the only couple in the room and had our waiter's undivided attention.

princess:

DisneyFans4 said:
When we were there in August the bus was not shared with YC or BC. It was Boardwalk, Swan and then Dolphin. Guess they realized the old way was just way too crowded for that bus. Depending on where it was going sometimes the Swan was the first stop.

This is the only route we have taken during all of our stays at the S/D. princess:

We will be staying at the Swan for the 1st time in Dec. for our 7 year anniversary. I love reading these posts about the swan and dolphin. Am I understanding that there is a charge for self parking at the hotel if you are staying there that seems strange to me I hope I misunderstood? Also we are staying at the Swan is it a close walk to eat at the restaurants at the Dolphin. Also what is the bus service like to the parks and I have read that you can take a boat to some. Is there a way to get to downtown Disney with boat or bus? Sorry for all the questions we usually stay at the All Star Resorts so we are really exited about the Swan.

fsu said:
We will be staying at the Swan for the 1st time in Dec. for our 7 year anniversary. I love reading these posts about the swan and dolphin. Am I understanding that there is a charge for self parking at the hotel if you are staying there that seems strange to me I hope I misunderstood? Also we are staying at the Swan is it a close walk to eat at the restaurants at the Dolphin. Also what is the bus service like to the parks and I have read that you can take a boat to some. Is there a way to get to downtown Disney with boat or bus? Sorry for all the questions we usually stay at the All Star Resorts so we are really exited about the Swan.

There is a charge for parking at the S/D. We don't leave Disney so we no longer rent a vehicle.
Swan and Dolphin are adjacent. To be honest, the walk isn't a big difference to me. Especially when you consider all of the walking you will be doing while you're there.
The bus service usually picks up at the Boardwalk, Swan and then Dolphin. We walk to Epcot and MGM, or take a boat. This week we only took the boat one time since we stopped at Big River for a couple of drinks to/from where we were going :thumbsup2 It's a nice walk, the grounds are beautiful and the weather was perfect.
A bus will take you to DD. Although we used a Mears driver to take us to the Contemporary for breakfast Wednesday morning.. too tired to ride the bus route to MK and walk to Contemp. Mears drivers are always waiting outside the hotels to take you anywhere... nice but can get $$.
It is a beautiful hotel and we love the Boardwalk area... the music playing, restaurants and boats - it's perfect. Flying Fish is excellent as is Spoodles for breakfast on the Boardwalk. All of the restaurants at S/D are wonderful!
We consider other resorts but keep coming back.

Congratulations on your 7th anniversary! We celebrated our 10th at the Swan in May princess:

I absolutely love the Swan and have been there 3 years in a row now. I've never felt more like I was in Disney until staying there. Epcot is my favorite park and I just love walking there. If your staying at the Swan and just walk over the bridge and go through the Boardwalk it's much faster to get to Epcot. It's faster to walk there then taking the boat because the boat makes all the stops. From the boat the stop is Swan/Dolphin, YC/BC, Boardwalk and then Epcot.

My DH is there right now for a convention but is staying at the Boardwalk. He can't bring himself to stay at the Swan because of so many memories. He's a real softie. He already hates his room and has asked to be moved this morning. They put him in a room right next to the elevator, vending and ice machines, and it's next to the bus stop.

Transportation is great and we have never had a problem. We never rent a car because we usually don't leave Disney but if we decide to do Sea World or Universal, the cabs don't cost that much.

Oh well I am sure we will still enjoy the Swan. Paying for parking when you are paying to stay at the hotel is a pet peeve of mine. We live in the panhandle of FL so we drive to Disney but then park and dont touch the car untill we leave, we like to let Disney do the driving. Still very excited and cant wait to stay at the Swan for the 1st time. We always have driven by it and said wouldnt it be nice to stay there and now we finally are. Thanks for the comments.

FSU-You really will love your stay and if possible ask for an Epcot view because it is to die for. You see everything!!

At least my DH got a new room at the Boardwalk and it's much nicer and quieter but a little further away but he doesn't care. He has an Epcot view.

We've stayed there numerous times, and we always felt the Swan had slightly better amenities for us. The beds are larger (althoughI haven't confirmed that this is till true after the renovations), the park bus goes to the Swan first, and we love having a view of the parks. I think both are about the same regarding kids vs. adults. Balconies are extra. We did not use ours much when we paid for it. We do enjoy our view though, and prefer the front of the resort or looking towards Epcot.
Although you can't use your room key to charge fromt he parks, you can use it withint the two resorts. For us, really the only time we ever wish to use a room charge is when we're at the pool and want a drink or snack, and don't want to bring a large wallet or pocketbook. By the way, if you choose to do so, both reosrts have poolside bars - though the one by the Dolphin is better and has more hours - which will serve you lovely fruity cocktails like pina coladas...mmm....

Without taking anything out of the minibar, we've usually been able to find space for a tiny item or two. We've always been able to find room for a pint of milk for our coffee, and sometimes we've even beena ble to squeeze in asome leftovers....once we had a big slice of chocolate cake....sometimes we can even sqeeze in a bottle or two of water along the top.

Yes, the soap, shampoo, etc, is much better at the Swan than the standard Disney fare. The only exception was the GF, which has it's own line of products.

If you stay at the SWan, and don't feel like hiking allthe way over to the Swan for a QS breakfast at the buffeteria, you can also get some breakfast items at the Swan. There is a little bar near the back entrance ( the one that leads tothe boats/pool) whic sells basic breakfast items in the morning. We did find it worthwhile to pick up some cereal at a grocery store, and bananas and bottled water. Then for a snack in the room, all you need is a little milk each day. Youcan also pick up somethign to eat at the Boardwalk bakery,and the walk to and from Epcot is beautiful. WE've also enjoyed eating at the brewpub on the Boardwalk, usually with no ADR's. We've also had good luck eating at the SWna, though I can't say I'll miss Palio's. Our last meal there was not very good, and WAY overpriced. We much prefer Kimono's, but we're sushi nuts. Youcan also plan on getting breakfast in the parks. The Land in Epcot is a favorite, Starring Rolls is a favorite at MGM (though it's light fare, like bagels). At Magic Kingdom we are inclined to make ADR's for Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary, or hoof over to the Dolphin before we go.

As for the busses, the last time we went, the Swan bus only went to the Dolphin. Other times we've seen the bus make the Epcot resorts loop, especially if you get on the bus at non-peak times. Usually in the AM and late PM, it only went to Swan/Dolphin. If you are quick walker, and you find that the bus is making stops at all the resorts, or you are leaving a park mid day and one of the other buses is boarding...it only takes about ten minutes max to walk from either the YC or the Boardwalk to the Swan or Dolphin, if you're a reasonably fast walker, and the walk is very nice. In the mid-day especially, or if you are going to another resort as part of your outing, it is worth taking the car out of the parking lot to get there more quickly.

Incidentally, the parking fee was put in place to replace a resort fee that they used to charge guests. We found that it greatly reduced the number of people parkig in the lot, whether they were non-guests or people who have decided now to use a towncar service. If you don't plan on using your car, a twoncar service will allow you a grocery store stop, and probably cost slightly less than a rental car.

I had forgot to mention but room service at the Swan is wonderful!! The food is great and the service is quick. We used it a couple of times when we just got back so exhausted from the parks and just didn't feel like going back out again to eat. They have an extensive menu and they are open 24 hours. If you have food concerns or allergies as I have with one son, they really do accompany you.

As another poster indicated, the soaps and lotions are much better than what is given in the Disney hotels. I always bring home some of the oatmeal soap because it is wonderful!!!

Can anyone confirm with the current self parking and valet parking fees are at the Swan? Just want to budget accordingly for our upcoming December stay.

DisneyFans4 said:
I had forgot to mention but room service at the Swan is wonderful!! The food is great and the service is quick. We used it a couple of times when we just got back so exhausted from the parks and just didn't feel like going back out again to eat. They have an extensive menu and they are open 24 hours. If you have food concerns or allergies as I have with one son, they really do accompany you.

As another poster indicated, the soaps and lotions are much better than what is given in the Disney hotels. I always bring home some of the oatmeal soap because it is wonderful!!!

ITA about the room service! S/D is voted best at Disney in Birnbaum's. We used the room service in May at the Swan, as we usually do when we're exhausted. Our server told us our tip was not included when it was. We usually don't look at our food bills too close...
Kimonos is my favorite but closes around 10pm I believe.

The Dolphin did not have the oatmeal soaps last week =( I, too, love it. The pink one is drying for me. I tend to be pretty picky in regards to shampoos, conditioners and lotion so keep that in mind :blush:

You mentioned that you have a son with allergies, DH and I were impressed we were asked this while at the Concourse Steakhouse for breakfast last week. Another good thing about Disney!!

I didn't realize this until someone mentioned it... but we weren't charge resort taxes either time this year. I guess that's a good thing since we no longer plan to rent a car.

Tiffany said:
Can anyone confirm with the current self parking and valet parking fees are at the Swan? Just want to budget accordingly for our upcoming December stay.

I want to say that the self-parking is $7.00 per day and valet is $14.00. I'm about 75% sure.

CindeBella said:
You mentioned that you have a son with allergies, DH and I were impressed we were asked this while at the Concourse Steakhouse for breakfast last week. Another good thing about Disney!! .

I found during our past trip that all restaurants in Disney are sensitive to food allergies. Each restaurant we went to the chef would actually come out and asked what my son planned on ordering and at times discouraged him from certain items either because certain items may have nuts in them or were cooked with something where nuts were nearby which I thought was terrific.

I found the same to be true with the pink gel-type soap and it was drying for me to and I have very sensitive skin. I used the oatmeal soap the entire time. I also bring my own shampoos and shower gels from home since I am sensitive.

I didn't know that the room service at the Swan was rated so high, no wonder it was so good. I've never had room service before so I can't compare with any other hotel but I can tell you the room service at the Swan is up there in my book and I would never hesitate. It's funny you mention Kimonos because me and DH love it there! We would actually order room service for my boys and then we would go downstairs to Kimonos!!!:thumbsup2

The daily self parking fee is $8 now.

We've had a room service breakfast twice at the Swan and both times it was wonderful! I highly recommend it!

My DH ordered the Swan & Dolphin breakfast, while I just had the pancakes. The strawberries and fresh cream were complimentary!

DSCN0695.jpg

DSCN0696.jpg

Tiffany said:

Actually $8.52 with tax....wow, Blondie, you're making me hungry with those photos!! :teeth:

We love the Swan. :goodvibes We will be staying there for the third time in just a couple of weeks. The location is great and there are lots of dining options because you've got fantastic restaurants in both the Swan and the Dolphin, as well as a very short walk to the Boardwalk area.

This will be our first stay there with the kids, the last two stays we were alone. I think its a great place for an adult trip because the dining is so superior. In my opinion many of the Disney restaurants have gone down the toilet since the dining plan came along. Last June we had amazing meals at Shula's, Bluezoo, Palio, and Kimonos. The karaoke at Kiminos is always super fun!! :) The bartender there makes great martinis. :thumbsup2

The quiet pool near the Swan is always quiet, and the Grotto pool is great for the kids. Definitely one of the best pools on property. :) The pool over by the Dolphin is great too because they have a lady who brings around free water, towels, magazines, etc. And they have a nice bar with food. :woohoo:

We are lucky that our rooms at the Swan are dirt cheap. We pay about the same as what other people pay for a Value resort. So for us its an easy decision. I still love the Poly, GF, YC, WL, and AKL, but for the price we'll be doing the Swan from now on. Unless I hit the lottery, then I'm going back to concierge!!! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter