Survivor 41

Nope. Guess this is it!

My lukewarm takes after 1 episode:
- Live Tribals still suck
- I did not like the two blatant attempts to create tension
- I need to look at the metrics on how often an extra vote has been a benefit. I don't think it's been huge.
- the votes in the yellow tribe did not reflect the narrative.
- I hope Probst didn't think that "guys" was the biggest problem with how he hosts the show.

Haven't seen one. I watched the premier and might give it one or two more episodes, and then I'll likely throw in the towel. They are trying MUCH too hard. It was so contrived.

The whole discussion about whether to keep, modify, or jettison "Come on in, guys!" was ridiculous. It's a pretty gender neutral term. It's not my favorite, but I see nothing offensive about it. I'm more used to y'all, but "guys" is fine. If your knickers get twisted because someone says, "Come on in, guys," maybe you're not cut out for Survivor. And if Jeff truly wanted to stop using the phrase, he could've just done that instead of making a big thing of it.

Very excited for a new season! I have watched off and on since season one, and like many people, I used all the time off to get my husband invested and we binged every season on Paramount Plus over the past year. The premiere was a big deal for us, even the kids watched with us.

I listen to Rob Has a Podcast (for anyone unfamiliar, Rob Cesternino from Survivor Amazon and All Stars hosts it) and I have been paying quite a bit of attention to pre-game this year, which is new for me.

What I was most surprised by was my change of heart about certain players based on pre-game interviews and actual game play.

Pre-game my top three were JD, Shan, and Ricard. Danny, Evvie, and Naseem were sort of floating around in a second tier. I thought I was going to hate Voce (David), Sydney, and Xander.
After the first episode, Evvie went way up in my estimation. I also don't hate Voce, Sydney or Xander at all - I actually thought they all brought a little humor, and Xander really exceeded my pre-game expectations. I think he may end up doing really well. Ricard and JD are playing so hard - I thought it came off as silly and endearing for JD, but Ricard's play makes me nervous. I loved watching him watching others, though. His eyes were constantly darting around to see who was doing what and talking to who.

I hate, hate, hate live tribals. I don't like the whispering and moving around. It's chaotic and bugs me. I wasn't really surprised by either vote, though.

I do not care about or mind any of the changes, none of them matter all that much in the grand scheme of things anyway. I do like the back to basics approach of no supplies, and adding in the loss of flint for losing a challenge is interesting. SO GLAD there's no Edge of Extinction or Exile Island type of thing. I don't think the dice will come into play until maybe the merge? It's so important to keep your vote in small tribes.

I'm just mostly excited for the game to be back. For me it's all about the strategy to win. So curious to see how everything unfolds and the impact of a shortened game (if any)

The whole discussion about whether to keep, modify, or jettison "Come on in, guys!" was ridiculous. It's a pretty gender neutral term. It's not my favorite, but I see nothing offensive about it. I'm more used to y'all, but "guys" is fine. If your knickers get twisted because someone says, "Come on in, guys," maybe you're not cut out for Survivor. And if Jeff truly wanted to stop using the phrase, he could've just done that instead of making a big thing of it.
My feeling is that Probst was going to stop using "guys" anyway. And you highlight one of the problems here - he wanted a Tyra Banks Moment (i.e. it's all about me), and getting affirmation from the cast was his way of doing it. The fact that he had to chase HARD for that affirmation really hit that point home for me.

Remains to be seen as to whether Probst does his customary cheerleading for his favourites (which is usually a man).

Ricard and JD are playing so hard - I thought it came off as silly and endearing for JD, but Ricard's play makes me nervous. I loved watching him watching others, though. His eyes were constantly darting around to see who was doing what and talking to who.
It's a shame these guys are on the same tribe. It's like when you had the Robs on All Stars - you knew one of them was going to be gone way too early. And I think it will be the same thing here.

It's a shame these guys are on the same tribe. It's like when you had the Robs on All Stars - you knew one of them was going to be gone way too early. And I think it will be the same thing here.

I agree. I don't know that I see a way for them both to move forward...and I feel like Ricard will be on the losing end. Shan and JD seem to be heading toward a tight alliance. I'm excited to see it play out though, whichever way the wind blows!

I'll never get over Rob C going out so early in All Stars :rotfl:

I'm watching this season. I don't think they made a good vote off with the guy on the first tribal council, the second tribal council that's exactly who I thought they should vote off.

So far from the first show, I think Shan is one to watch she has a dangerous game play, and I don't care for Ricard but it seems so far here people like him so I'll be the odd one out. He dissed Genie at the tribal I think that's her name, she was in the front and nobody talked to her about the tribal play, he's calling shots and dismissing people too soon.

I'm sure I'll change my mind on some players, just too early to tell yet.

Jeff Probst needs a haircut. He's not a young guy any more and that hair and the lines in his face don't go together... just my opinion.

"Guys" has always been a generic term, even if it started life as a male only noun. And why does one person get to decide that it's offensive and not the other 17? Or anyone else in the crew or at CBS?

You know what I want him to stop saying? "Wanna Know What You're Playing For?" I'm just waiting for a tribe to say, "nah, we're good". I mean what a stupid question... for 40 seasons.

I like Voce and Xander. I like JD, too, but I think he's naive and it will hurt him. I also like Erika and (pastor) Shantel, since they're both from Canada. I think Shantel's pastoral skills will help her in the game, if she can get past the guys who want a "weak" woman gone (I'm looking at you, no filter Brad)

I don't care for Ricard, so far. I think he's kind of shifty, but also probably because he was targeting JD and I like JD.

I'm watching this season. I don't think they made a good vote off with the guy on the first tribal council, the second tribal council that's exactly who I thought they should vote off.

So far from the first show, I think Shan is one to watch she has a dangerous game play, and I don't care for Ricard but it seems so far here people like him so I'll be the odd one out. He dissed Genie at the tribal I think that's her name, she was in the front and nobody talked to her about the tribal play, he's calling shots and dismissing people too soon.

I'm sure I'll change my mind on some players, just too early to tell yet.

I'm with you on Ricard, don't like him at all. It will be interesting to see how a pastor (Shan) plays this game.

Lost interest after the first few seasons. It was something new/different and the contestants didn't arrive already knowing how to 'game' their chances. It now is yet another reality game show that has run out of new ideas and everyone (including the contestants) know the object is to undercut your competition no matter how chummy they try to act toward each other.

Lost interest after the first few seasons. It was something new/different and the contestants didn't arrive already knowing how to 'game' their chances. It now is yet another reality game show that has run out of new ideas and everyone (including the contestants) know the object is to undercut your competition no matter how chummy they try to act toward each other.
I mean that particular game mechanic has always been there. It's just that people have gotten better at working/gaming the rules to gain an edge in the game.

And the show doesn't really do much to address that. Rather, they've added new mechanics that reward people who play the way the EP wants them to play, and so in recent new player seasons we've seen the same dynamics play out every time, despite whatever "twists" they add. You'll not see a savvy under the radar rookie player emerge victorious again under the current style of play - Nick is perhaps the closest we'll get to that.

For me, this is still intriguing (at least in the first half of the season), but I fully understand your position.

This is actually the first season watching in real time (using my DVR of course) since the early seasons as I pretty much just streamed the rest.

I also thought it was a bit silly the "come on in guys". It didn't even seem genuine and that to me is worse than not changing it (and I didn't see a problem with it in the first place).

These days I actually wish they would get rid of the idols all together and the advantages. I think it's just overplayed at this point no matter what new ones they come up with it's not like it's really catching people off guard much and I feel like for a long time that was part of what made Survivor work and what they said they did is every few seasons they would switch things up to keep people guessing and on their toes.

We'll be watching it though.

Jeff Probst needs a haircut. He's not a young guy any more and that hair and the lines in his face don't go together... just my opinion.
I'm so with you. I actually think that hair style with the hat too only serves to actually highlight the aging we're seeing on Jeff. He needs a haircut that keeps him looking less hmm tired I guess. I give him props for how stressful this whole time has been, I mean he didn't even know if Survivor would even make it once it shut down but still.

I am very liberal but thought the way they went about the "you guys" thing was over the top. Simply start saying, "come on in." If someone says something, then a quick, "we are trying to be inclusive" would be enough. They are humble-bragging about how inclusive they are trying to be, and it did not work for me.

These days I actually wish they would get rid of the idols all together and the advantages. I think it's just overplayed at this point no matter what new ones they come up with it's not like it's really catching people off guard much and I feel like for a long time that was part of what made Survivor work and what they said they did is every few seasons they would switch things up to keep people guessing and on their toes.

We'll be watching it though.

I wish they would get rid of the idols but don't tell the players.

Thanks for starting this!

I read that Ricard is deaf in one ear-I think that’s why he looks so intense sometimes. But I like JD (he’s so excited and thrilled to be playing) so hope he doesn’t target him. And I hate the whispering at tribal council!

Thanks for starting this!

I read that Ricard is deaf in one ear-I think that’s why he looks so intense sometimes. But I like JD (he’s so excited and thrilled to be playing) so hope he doesn’t target him. And I hate the whispering at tribal council!
Okay. I’ll give him another chance.

I totally forgot to tune in! I'm especially interested because Sydney and I go to the same law school (although I have 20 years on her, so we don't hang out much lol). We had an Intensive Communication Skills class together (virtually) in May and that's when she got word that she could tell people she was going to be on the next season. She's the second person from our school to be on in 4 years so not sure what's up with that 🤷‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter