• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Surviving the heat and footwear update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chance's Mom

WL Vet
We went to Paramont's Kings Island on Sun. (It is in Cincinnati, Ohio). Temperatures were hovering close to 100 degrees!:eek:

I suggested to DH that maybe this wasn't the day to go, but he said it would be good practice for Disney in Aug.

The good news is, with all of the cooling tips I've gathered on the DIS, we were at the park from park opening at 10am until about 4:30 with our 5 year old ds. We had a blast and easily survived the heat. The mister fan was a wonderful thing! It also kept DS amused while in line. If you are going to Disney-take a mister fan! You will be glad you did!
We drank water constantly, this really helped. I think the gatorade/power aid drinks really helped, also. DS will drink this just like lemonade, and it tends to keep your body hydrated very well.

I forgot the Aquacool bandanas :rolleyes: so I can't report on those. (Gotta write a note to myself to remember these!)

Foot wear--I decided to wear my new New Balance tennies and the Thorlo Cool Max socks.. My feet felt great all day, with absolutely no hot spots or redness of any kind. I was worried that I would be too hot, but I wasn't . The Thorlo socks worked great. We got drenched on the log ride. I didn't think my feet had gotted wet until I took my shoes off. (which felt wonderful) My socks were soaked, but my feet felt dry. The Cool Max fabric had worked great.:Pinkbounc Can't wait to try all the DIS tips at Disney!

Mister fans do not belong in the hands of 5 yo children. They are not toys and there are people who do not wish to be misted no matter how hot the weather.
I know I hate being misted because it can damage the controls of my wheelchair. My solution would be to ban misters from the parks. They are dagerous!

I hadn't heard the tip about Thurlo Cool Max socks. I'm going to try them!! Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the Thurlo Cool Max socks, but they sound great. Where did you buy them? I'd like to try them out.

You can get Thorlo socks at Galyan's, REI, any sporting goods store. You can also order them at www.rei.com.

I have the women's coolmax walking mini-crew. They are expensive (I think $11 or so) but worth every penny IMHO! I scoffed when my DH started wearing them-said I wouldn't pay that much for socks--am now eating my words!
They are great! Padded in all the right places.

But you know, I have a habit of just putting deodorant on my feet. I read it in the Health magazine. Runners often do it to prevent blistering.

Kim ºOº

I buy my Cool Max socks at a sock store at the outlet mall, they are a lot cheaper than at a store like REI, I agree they are great.

When it rains I put on a poncho which covers both me and the controller and I head for cover asap. The controller is a very sensitive piece of electronic equipment and the cost to replace it would be several thousand dollars. I am anal about it not getting wet. The wheelchair is my legs at least until I learn to walk again.
And a wacked controller is not safe for others either since it makes the 250 pound wheelchair erratic. Nothing like a run away power wheelchair!

The cool max socks i just looked on the web, now they are like tube socks, that high up on you calf? is that correct, do you know if they have ankle ones:confused: yes also spraying your feet with anit persperant helps tremendously!! i usually always blister on the balls of my feet and i did that last trip, and nothing!!

If you go to www.roadrunnersports.com they have a big selection of Thorlo socks and they are in many different styles. I agree I will only wear ankle socks and I like cool max ones. I buy mine at Lady Footlocker. They have a good selection and they don't give me any trouble.

Sharbear

PhillyDisnynut-

You want the mini-crew sock. It is below the ankle. The neat thing about these socks is that they are actually sized small, medium and large. I wear a 7 1/2 and the mediums fit perfectly!:D

Isn't there some kind of plastic cover you could use to cover the controler in theme park type situations?? I know it wouldn't be water tight. But it would give you a couple extra minutes to get it dried off before it was damaged.

If you want my idea for one of these PM me.

I also let my 5 year old son amuse himself with the misty mate and misty fan. It helps to keep him cool and happy as I worry about him getting heat stroke or exaustion or dehydrated. There little bodie's aren't as effective staying cool and hydrated as adults are. My misty mate is not dangerous and I will continue to use it as my son's comfort means more to me than someone else's annoyance. The cover to me seems like an idea?

Thanks chrisn! I was a little taken aback by the attack on mister fans, but since Disney hasn't banned cigarettes from the parks, I am pretty sure we'll be okay with our mister fans!;)

Chrisn what you consider an annoyance is a $2000 repair bill for me and possibly a runover foot for you or another guest when the wheelchair becomes a runaway. I am thinking of other guests safety as well as my own by being anal about not having the controller wet. It is NOT AN ANNOYANCE. It can well be a very dangerous situation that you can prevent by controlling your child's use of a mister. If you don't care to take that responsibility then have the common courtesy of staying away from those of use who require the use of a power wheelchair to get around. Fortunately castmembers are more understanding than you seem to be.

You can roll your eyes all you want but I sincerely hope your child never gets hit by an out of control power wheelchair. I've seen it happen. Not my chair fortunately. Unfortunately the foot run over was my daughter's and she spent 6 weeks in a cast. I have good reason for being anal about those blasted misters.

While I understand your fear of getting your wheelchair wet and I would never roll my eyes at your fears or try to make you feel badly, I think it's impossible to ban misters and highly unlikely it will happen.

I'm sorry you feel you have to defend your fears in this thread but you have to understand that mister fans won't be banned and all you can do is get out the word in a nice way that parents should make their children aware that they cannot mist anyone but themselves. It's just being considerate.

Luckily, you won't have this problem from us. We go off season when it's not as hot and have never used them.

Good luck
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter