Stunned by Disney service

Shrill

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone. I don't post very often, but I thought I should post this.

We just got back from a 4 night trip, staying at Pop Century. It was myself and DD9, and we went to celebrate my finishing my Masters degree (and as a treat for her since she was absolutely amazing and tolerant throughout the process of my degree even though it meant a lot of change for her). We went once before in 2015 (stayed in POR and it was a longer trip with DH along).

Unfortunately, it was a trip where Murphy's Law seemed to take over. A couple of months ago we discovered that Splash (DD's favourite ride) would be closing a day or two before our arrival but we couldn't change our plans. We arrived on Tuesday at about lunch and went to Epcot. First we went to Guest Relations to upgrade my ticket to a hopper. I had a ticket from Airmiles (Canadian rewards program) and when I got it a hopper wasn't an option. DD's ticket was bought through Disney and was a hopper and I had planned the entire trip around hopping. I got the ticket during the Canadian promotion which apparently affected Airmiles tickets as well (I didn't realize this). The cast member told me that it would be $273US to upgrade my ticket. I had no idea it would be that much and wasn't sure that was in the budget. I did not upgrade and went away to try to consider whether I could rearrange the entire trip somehow to avoid hopping. I decided that I could not and would have to go back to Guest Relations the day after to get the hopper since that is when we were first hopping.

We went to Test Track (DD's fave Epcot ride) but it was down. In fact it was down for about 5 or 6 hours. After that, checking on the app, the wait never dropped below 2 1/2 hours for the rest of the day. DD was very disappointed. Before leaving the park, we got into the line for Soarin'. After waiting for about 20 minutes, they announced it had broken down and there would be a delay. We were exhausted (got up at 4 am and this was about 9pm) so gave up and went back to Pop.

The next morning, we had an early ADR (Bon voyage breakfast which I was very impressed with) and then hurried to Hollywood studios to be there for opening. We had a fastpass later for Toy Story but that is really all we wanted to do at that park and we both love that ride so we were hoping to ride right at opening as well. But as we got into line, it went down. It was down for several hours. We were eventually able to ride it once but that was it as they were only taking FastPasses.

As we were leaving the park, we stopped at Guest Relations to upgrade my ticket. The cast member helping us took a long time figuring it out, went back to talk to a manager several times etc. Eventually she came out and told me she was charging me $80 for 2 days of hopping (which is all we wanted). I was relieved!

Before leaving HS, we scored a Fastpass for Test Track for later in the afternoon. However, as we arrived, Test Track went down again, once again for about 4 hours. We did not want to give up our fastpass because of the wait time so that eliminated any further passes that day. We were eventually able to ride it on a fastpass and eventually able to ride Soarin. We also waited in line for Joy and Sadness 2x because the first time we gave up due to the slowness of the line (we timed that they were taking nearly 10 minutes with every party. We did not get to do many of the things we planned at Epcot.

On Wednesday, we showed up at MK right at opening again and went directly to Peter Pan. However, as we were waiting in line, it went down, causing a considerable delay. We emerged at about 9:40, the advantages of getting line so early gone. Then we went for our fastpass on Seven Dwarfs and there was another breakdown although that was very short and didn't affect us more than 5 minutes or so.

I'm not normally the type to complain. I had been avoiding it until this point. It seemed to me that a considerable amount of what was happening was bad luck. However, I also wondered if perhaps Disney was having more downtime than before, and if so, that they should know how it was affecting their customers. So around noon we went to Guest Relations and I told a cast member about our trip thus far. I wasn't really expecting anything at all: in the back of my mind I thought that perhaps she might give us an extra fastpass.

She listened very sympathetically, and then gave us: 3 anytime fastpasses for each of our remaining days, Mickey bars, and 2 DAY PARK HOPPERS FOR BOTH OF US ON A FUTURE TRIP. I was literally stunned to the point that my eyes watered :-))) which has never happened before in a customer service situation.

Murphy's law wasn't finished with us. I lost my magic band (staff at our resort replaced it quickly), DD lost a Tinkerbell pin she had just traded (she is still disappointed), Rivers of Light was rained out (we had the dining package: cast member kindly gave us a future fastpass and a small gift card) and my daughter ended up with what may be a sinus infection and a bad headache as a result causing her to want to avoid various rides. And then we had one of those flights home where turbulence involves a big scary drop and people on the plane screaming. So we are very glad to be home. But still stunned by the service at Disney.

Shrill

Sounds like you had a memorable trip! But not for the reasons you expected.

Congrats on keeping your head high and trucking along despite the annoyances (because I don't think I could have been as composed) and YAYYYY so happy to hear that Guest Services brought you a big bag of PIXIE DUST! pixiedust:

Wonder how many shakes of Tinkerbell that Management had to do, to get out TWO DAY PARK HOPPERS! on top of all your FP+ compensation!!! I'm imagining the Giant shaking her up and down like a sugar shaker at Starbucks hahaha...

I also just got back from celebrating my Master's Degree, congrats!! :goofy:

We also had A LOT of ride issues, like as bad as yours.

While Disney does great guest recovery, we ended up pretty much with three extra fast passes every day, it does get really frustrating. At one point I had a stack of cards with FP's due to technical issues. As Pete said on the podcast once, its a good thing people love FP's so much!!

While on the trip I found myself getting really frustrated, but when I thought about how much I was able to do by the end of the day pretty much got over it and had a great time!

A shame that all those rides were down but Disney did what they could to make it right. :) For those following the thread note that Shrill evidently voiced her complaints without going ballistic on the Guest Relations CM or creating a big scene by making demands...and they came through for her. :scratchin

So glad to read a post where many things went wrong but in the end, things were good.
I wonder though, just curious, were some of the rides down due to weather? Like TT especially? It will go down with just regular rain, one of the few, if not only ride, on property to close for rain, no lightening needed?
We were there from 8/25-29 and other than outages for rain, never encountered a ride down due to mechanical issues. But we did find a lot of outages from rain or storms.

I'm so sorry you had such rotten luck on your trip!

By the time of your post, you seem like a kind and reasonable person.

I'm guessing you took the same time with the cast member you talked to at guest relations. I'm a firm believer that a customer's attitude can play directly into the response they receive. It sounds like what happened to you was, for the most part, sheer bad luck. By not screaming at the CM and blaming him/her for your misfortune, you were substantially rewarded. Way to keep your head on your shoulders and be positive!

Also, thank you for being an amazing role model for your daughter. You showed her the proper way to handle a frustrating situation. It's always encouraging when I hear of parents demonstrating proper behavior in front of their children!

ETA: And congratulations on your masters!!

We had a very unfortunate time at Disney a few years ago. We had a big problem with our maid that left us feeling uneasy.

Long story short, Disney gave us each a 2-day park hopper and that value of 2 nights (moderate) free for our next stay. They always take good care of their guests.

A shame that all those rides were down but Disney did what they could to make it right. :) For those following the thread note that Shrill evidently voiced her complaints without going ballistic on the Guest Relations CM or creating a big scene by making demands...and they came through for her. :scratchin
Yes! Handled it the way we would all wish to be spoken to.

Nice that Disney will try to make it up to you in these cases if you bring it to their attention

Wow, some people do have the bad luck! At least you were able to leave with good feelings that they went beyond expectations to make you feel better!

Can honestly say that with the many trips that dh & I have taken, only once have we had to leave the line for a breakdown, and that was our trip in May for FEA. We got an anytime FP for that which we used that afternoon. Guess the pixiedust: has been with us for sure.

So glad to read a post where many things went wrong but in the end, things were good.
I wonder though, just curious, were some of the rides down due to weather? Like TT especially? It will go down with just regular rain, one of the few, if not only ride, on property to close for rain, no lightening needed?
We were there from 8/25-29 and other than outages for rain, never encountered a ride down due to mechanical issues. But we did find a lot of outages from rain or storms.

We are here now and have only been to HS and Epcot. While at HS, at one point RnR and TSMM were both down at the same time. Weather closed a few of the shows. I overheard people complaining that there was nothing to do. It did feel that way at times.

Then, yesterday at Epcot, both TT and FEA were down for a time.. We got stuck on TT after waiting 70 mins to ride. There was no weather issue at that point. We sat in our car for about 10'ish minutes before they got it back running.

It feels like there are more ride issues than we normally see but we only go once a year so maybe we've just been lucky.

I'm so sorry you had such rotten luck on your trip!

By the time of your post, you seem like a kind and reasonable person.

I'm guessing you took the same time with the cast member you talked to at guest relations. I'm a firm believer that a customer's attitude can play directly into the response they receive. It sounds like what happened to you was, for the most part, sheer bad luck. By not screaming at the CM and blaming him/her for your misfortune, you were substantially rewarded. Way to keep your head on your shoulders and be positive!

Also, thank you for being an amazing role model for your daughter. You showed her the proper way to handle a frustrating situation. It's always encouraging when I hear of parents demonstrating proper behavior in front of their children!

ETA: And congratulations on your masters!!
Unfortunately, a lot of customers must not be as tactful as the OP. (The handle Shrill must be like those nicknames where big guys are called Tiny.) Far too often, after speaking with someone in customer service, we're thanked for not yelling at them. Common decency must not be so common.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter