Studio

I think Hannah is a great addition!

I'd love to have other guests rotate through, like Len Testa, Big Fat Panda, or someone that does DVC sales in addition to the regular hosts. Someone who has another view or opinion on Disney that we wouldn't have thought of before.

I do think the show runs smoother when Ryno hosts and Craig does the controls.

Congratulations on the new studio and great job keeping everything together and moving.

I’ve been listening/watching for 15 years. I have noticed over the years a decline in enthusiasm and appreciation for Disney and the parks in general. I don’t need high level production values to enjoy the podcast, but what keeps me engaged is listening to coverage of the parks and resorts from people who are passionate about what they discuss.

I’ve been listening/watching for 15 years. I have noticed over the years a decline in enthusiasm and appreciation for Disney and the parks in general. I don’t need high level production values to enjoy the podcast, but what keeps me engaged is listening to coverage of the parks and resorts from people who are passionate about what they discuss.
This is a serious question. I’m not trying to dismiss your thoughts. Are you suggesting that the current panel is not passionate about Disney? I don’t want to jump the gun before you respond, but from the outside looking in (me not being on shows), I feel they are all very in tune with everything happening at Disney and express their genuine thoughts in real-time, with real-time experiences. In my opinion, passion doesn’t necessarily need to be expressed in a weekly monologue rant. Some find their appreciation within a specific Disney niche, like detailed food reviews, concierge-only, alcohol opportunities, kids, or just being a casual guest. As for enthusiasm, we’ve all been juggling a lot within our small group, but I give massive props to Craig & Ryno for keeping the shows alive throughout the turmoil. Nothing will ever be what it was 15 years ago. Sometimes, we have to accept that things and people change. Damn. I didn’t mean to write that much. 🙂

Corey is right. People and things changes. I too have been listening almost since the beginning and I while I agree that there has been a "decline in enthusiasm" I believe it is through the entire long term Disney fan base. I think Corey would agree that in the beginning of the Disboards, negative comments on Disney were rare. But Disney has enacted several changes, from Magic Bands, all the way through to 1/2 hour EE, Genie+, Theme Park Reservations, that are not what I would describe as "beloved" by the fan base. More that once I would imagine what Bob would have thought.

One of the things that listeners always commented on, is that the Podcast told it like it was and genuinely reflected what people were thinking and never sounded like one long WDW commercial. I hope that continues.

I realize how difficult it must have been for the team to transition to its new studio and format. They are stand up and get the job done people! Not everyone would have had the strength and resilience to get it together and what amazes me is they kept producing content. Rarely missed a week and Hannah is EXACTLY the knowledgeable person with children that the show has been lacking for years, aside from Deni.

Love you all. Beth

I think it's an issue with some/most locals who have become oversaturated with the parks (including Universal too). I have been a resident of central Florida for ~20 years and the first few years we made a monthly trip as an AP holder. To mitigate the risk of becoming less enthusiastic, we alternated, annually, our AP's from WDW to Uni.

During Covid, we avoided the parks and became resort centric. We stayed, via rentals, in the DVC villas. It really helped us not stagnate or taint our view of WDW because we broadened our visit to resort only and the amazing amenities they offer. I say that now as a recent Pixie Dust AP holder since enough new attractions/events since my last AP in 2019.

It's just my perspective.

There is definitely an energy shift when the team starts discussing Disneyland. The increased enthusiasm is apparent when Craig and Ryno switch from talking about Disney World to Disneyland. I understand why they are a bit jaded, but as someone who lives out of state and still gets excited about planning and visiting Disney World, I wish they would tone down the 'everything about Disneyland is better' attitude.

Craig or Corey can you guys put a large TV in back of Ryno with a DIS graphic or something the window background is “off”?

Craig or Corey can you guys put a large TV in back of Ryno with a DIS graphic or something the window background is “off”?
That part is still a work in progress. Now that the tech is in place, people who are more talented than I am at interior decorating will start working on Mickey's Not-So-Temporary Decor which is currently set up. Ryno did some extra decorating that will help for the time being and hopefully, this part of the process doesn't take too long, but it is basically out of my hands. I can build and run equipment, but I can barely match my clothes let alone come up with a look for a space.

I just listened to the show for the first time since things got weird and you guys were so funny! The whole thing felt so much lighter. Craig and Ryno sound like a weight has been lifted and I love Hannah! I joined Patreon right after to hear the after show. Love the banter and omg welcome back Ryno you’re freaking hilarious.

That part is still a work in progress. Now that the tech is in place, people who are more talented than I am at interior decorating will start working on Mickey's Not-So-Temporary Decor which is currently set up. Ryno did some extra decorating that will help for the time being and hopefully, this part of the process doesn't take too long, but it is basically out of my hands. I can build and run equipment, but I can barely match my clothes let alone come up with a look for a space.

Got it! I have an eye for decorating I think lol I was thinking something similar to this a large tv in the background with the dis logo that can change from holidays or the various shows you have like the DCL show could have that logo with lighting more so a clean shelving with various Disney decor in a classy manner would look fantastic todays looked super cluttered I know it a work in progress!

I don't think it's very fair to say the group isn't passionate about Disney. Ok maybe John doesn't exactly exude passion, but the podcast crew seems to have dedicated their lives around it, so I don't think that's the issue.

Facing facts, Pete was a very unique talent and that hole is yet to be filled. They should have recognized this earlier (as many on the boards did) and made changes. Moving Ryno to host and bringing in Hannah were small wins - but there is still some work to be done IMO.

I don't think it's very fair to say the group isn't passionate about Disney. Ok maybe John doesn't exactly exude passion, but the podcast crew seems to have dedicated their lives around it, so I don't think that's the issue.

Facing facts, Pete was a very unique talent and that hole is yet to be filled. They should have recognized this earlier (as many on the boards did) and made changes. Moving Ryno to host and bringing in Hannah were small wins - but there is still some work to be done IMO.
We are all passionate in our ways and I think for some of us, it doesn't show as well. The parks, movies, music, etc are not just my job but also my passion and hobbies. I also, unfortunately, have an extremely dry presence and flat affect which does play off like I hate everything about Disney.

Ryno fully admits that while he loves Disney/Star Wars/Marvel, he tries to stay in a mindset of "this isn't my hobby, this is my work" and I think his enthusiasm can be lacking at times because of that, but it shines when he surrounds himself with others who bring the enthusiasm out of him.

That "work" mindset was a benefit for us in the past. It was a wall to keep work lives from impeding our social lives, which many other former employees couldn't keep separated or chose not to keep separate. That is good and all, but the wall has an impact that becomes glaring when YouTubers/podcasters/hobbyists continue to start up every day and exude more passion and enthusiasm.

As for recognizing needing a big personality earlier, we did. I first started approaching our former employer about this over the pandemic. Our most productive period was from 2016 - 2020 and I believe that's because we had a great group of people making a lot of content and we all brought something different to the table. The flagship show was anchored by one big personality, but the rest of the content which was just as popular and sometimes even more, was filled out by the rest of us.

When I first saw signs of leveling off for multiple reasons, the first thing I suggested was bringing in a new personality that could carry the ship. Our former employer didn't agree and thought the team he assembled had more than enough personality and if he liked us then the people watching and listening would too. Also, he was still there as the anchor so why would we need two big personalities?

I'm not saying that to slight anyone who currently works with us or has come and gone. I think most of us would admit that we were always strongest as a team rather than one person carrying the load. As an ensemble, I think we all play an important part. That being said, you also can't underestimate the importance of someone who has the "it" factor and if you can't find that person then you have to stack the cast even bigger to make up for it and change it from supporting players to a true ensemble.

I'm not sure if we'll ever find a person with the "it" factor because if they have "it" then they are probably doing their own thing very successfully and don't need to look for a position on our team. I think there's one prime example of this from the past couple of years that makes me believe it will be hard to find an "it" person who doesn't want to own their own business. On the opposite spectrum, they might be doing it as a hobby and have a full-time job they'd prefer to keep.

We are in the process of adding to our team which will take time, but if we even find a couple more people with outspoken personalities like Hannah, I think we'll have a very good group that can balance each other out and doesn't need to rely on "the one voice."

TLDR; I think we'll be more beneficial as a company by finding the right ensemble of enthusiastic people versus filling a void.

We are all passionate in our ways and I think for some of us, it doesn't show as well. The parks, movies, music, etc are not just my job but also my passion and hobbies. I also, unfortunately, have an extremely dry presence and flat affect which does play off like I hate everything about Disney.

Ryno fully admits that while he loves Disney/Star Wars/Marvel, he tries to stay in a mindset of "this isn't my hobby, this is my work" and I think his enthusiasm can be lacking at times because of that, but it shines when he surrounds himself with others who bring the enthusiasm out of him.

That "work" mindset was a benefit for us in the past. It was a wall to keep work lives from impeding our social lives, which many other former employees couldn't keep separated or chose not to keep separate. That is good and all, but the wall has an impact that becomes glaring when YouTubers/podcasters/hobbyists continue to start up every day and exude more passion and enthusiasm.

As for recognizing needing a big personality earlier, we did. I first started approaching our former employer about this over the pandemic. Our most productive period was from 2016 - 2020 and I believe that's because we had a great group of people making a lot of content and we all brought something different to the table. The flagship show was anchored by one big personality, but the rest of the content which was just as popular and sometimes even more, was filled out by the rest of us.

When I first saw signs of leveling off for multiple reasons, the first thing I suggested was bringing in a new personality that could carry the ship. Our former employer didn't agree and thought the team he assembled had more than enough personality and if he liked us then the people watching and listening would too. Also, he was still there as the anchor so why would we need two big personalities?

I'm not saying that to slight anyone who currently works with us or has come and gone. I think most of us would admit that we were always strongest as a team rather than one person carrying the load. As an ensemble, I think we all play an important part. That being said, you also can't underestimate the importance of someone who has the "it" factor and if you can't find that person then you have to stack the cast even bigger to make up for it and change it from supporting players to a true ensemble.

I'm not sure if we'll ever find a person with the "it" factor because if they have "it" then they are probably doing their own thing very successfully and don't need to look for a position on our team. I think there's one prime example of this from the past couple of years that makes me believe it will be hard to find an "it" person who doesn't want to own their own business. On the opposite spectrum, they might be doing it as a hobby and have a full-time job they'd prefer to keep.

We are in the process of adding to our team which will take time, but if we even find a couple more people with outspoken personalities like Hannah, I think we'll have a very good group that can balance each other out and doesn't need to rely on "the one voice."

TLDR; I think we'll be more beneficial as a company by finding the right ensemble of enthusiastic people versus filling a void.
Sounds like a well reasoned strategy for moving forward. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Thanks for sharing this.
I never miss a podcast and have been listening every week since my first trip to Disney in 2011. All that said, I understand the complaints of not having that giant personality. It was entertaining to listen to the rants and I always felt that there was a sort of “authority” feel to takes that he had that made me feel like I was getting something here I couldn’t get anywhere else.
But I will tell you that while I was concerned following the relaunch, since Hannah has joined, I am thrilled about what has come out. She is a spark and makes me smile and the show feels like a mix of news and off the rails. It is the perfect combination for me. Add in the dining reviews (take goodness you all are doing drink reviews now), snack attacks and tap house talks and I believe it is a winning combination. It may just take some time for people to come back (hopefully) or new people to find it. I love having Theresa on from time to time, would love to see Kathy again at some point.
Just keep on keeping on. And keep Hannah happy, she is a star that plays well with you and Ryno.
Thanks for all you have done. I am grateful to have this show produced every week.

Thanks for sharing this.
I never miss a podcast and have been listening every week since my first trip to Disney in 2011. All that said, I understand the complaints of not having that giant personality. It was entertaining to listen to the rants and I always felt that there was a sort of “authority” feel to takes that he had that made me feel like I was getting something here I couldn’t get anywhere else.
But I will tell you that while I was concerned following the relaunch, since Hannah has joined, I am thrilled about what has come out. She is a spark and makes me smile and the show feels like a mix of news and off the rails. It is the perfect combination for me. Add in the dining reviews (take goodness you all are doing drink reviews now), snack attacks and tap house talks and I believe it is a winning combination. It may just take some time for people to come back (hopefully) or new people to find it. I love having Theresa on from time to time, would love to see Kathy again at some point.
Just keep on keeping on. And keep Hannah happy, she is a star that plays well with you and Ryno.
Thanks for all you have done. I am grateful to have this show produced every week.
First off, thank you for the support for such a long time. Second, I'm happy to hear your feedback on where we currently stand, and thanks for sharing!

I think the "authority" aspect worked at a time when the pond was smaller and you weren't getting that style from anyone else, let alone someone who also owned a travel agency. It's just a different world now. There will always be an audience for aggressive rants and "honest opinions" and that's why those types will always be out there making content. However, the more the community has grown, it has opened the door to new experts. I think a lot of the new experts don't speak loudly, but choose to speak softly and carry a big stick with the big stick being their content that showcases they have mastered the parks, planning, and beyond and they are the true experts/authority.

I want to see us move in this direction because I think we've shoehorned ourselves too much into sideline analysts versus field correspondents. At that point, it makes our content no different than daytime talk TV and radio or 24-hour news cycles that fill the air time with more analysis than reporting. It's okay if we're not all experts and have someone who wants to keep learning and retain the voice of a newcomer as much as possible, but the more expertise we can find, the better and the brand will retain authority.

In the downfall of everything that happened, some things were made clear. The brand was synonymous with one person, and that shouldn't be the case moving forward. Also, there were many, many people out there who didn't see the brand as having authority, only the person and they were happy to let us know we had nothing to offer compared to the old authority. It will take time, determination, and the right group of people, but I want to get to a place where the brand is respected and has authority in the community because of the greater sum of the people, not just one person.

There is definitely an energy shift when the team starts discussing Disneyland. The increased enthusiasm is apparent when Craig and Ryno switch from talking about Disney World to Disneyland. I understand why they are a bit jaded, but as someone who lives out of state and still gets excited about planning and visiting Disney World, I wish they would tone down the 'everything about Disneyland is better' attitude.

This!

Same thing was happening a year or so ago with "he who shall not be named" and DCL. Which I know was annoying many people (didn’t bother me though). I think everyone is looking for the same enthusiasm for spending a day in a WDW park, along with everything that encompasses for "non-locals" like you and I - including all the planning and logistics. We made our first ever trip out to DL last year. It was great, but not the head-and-shoulders above the WDW experience one would expect given how they talk about it whenever they bring it up on the show.

Last edited:
Reactions: rlk
I appreciate all the transparency, and those are great points on how the scene has evolved...However, for me personally, I would disagree in one area - I always thought each of you (you, Ryno, Steve, Fiasco, Teresa, Deni, Panda etc, etc) were authorities/experts in your own right. Although Pete would hit on a classic rant from time to time, you all had knowledge in many areas he didn't.

It's really about finding the mix of information while keeping it engaging and entertaining - and I can't stress that second part enough. The best way to do it IMO is not to create forced personas, but just to keep the overall vibe loose, encourage healthy debate...and not move to a more serious news format.

Like many others I suspect, I started on YouTube casually with DFB/TPM vids, easily digestible splashy 7-10 min videos - and then came across DIS Unplugged. I initially took a look and said to myself, why the hell would I watch these 5 weirdos sit at a table and talk for 60 whole minutes?? (I say that affectionately b/c I am one).....but...it became a weekly scheduled event for me b.c it was a funny, unpredictable, loose hang each week - with smart personalities who shared in my passion and were able to generate interesting debates and discussions on all kinds of parks-related topics.

I appreciate all the transparency, and those are great points on how the scene has evolved...However, for me personally, I would disagree in one area - I always thought each of you (you, Ryno, Steve, Fiasco, Teresa, Deni, Panda etc, etc) were authorities/experts in your own right. Although Pete would hit on a classic rant from time to time, you all had knowledge in many areas he didn't.

It's really about finding the mix of information while keeping it engaging and entertaining - and I can't stress that second part enough. The best way to do it IMO is not to create forced personas, but just to keep the overall vibe loose, encourage healthy debate...and not move to a more serious news format.

Like many others I suspect, I started on YouTube casually with DFB/TPM vids, easily digestible splashy 7-10 min videos - and then came across DIS Unplugged. I initially took a look and said to myself, why the hell would I watch these 5 weirdos sit at a table and talk for 60 whole minutes?? (I say that affectionately b/c I am one).....but...it became a weekly scheduled event for me b.c it was a funny, unpredictable, loose hang each week - with smart personalities who shared in my passion and were able to generate interesting debates and discussions on all kinds of parks-related topics.
You are too kind. I'm sure I'm being a little hard on us. I think we can get back to what you're describing in your second paragraph as we add personalities and we develop stronger bonds as a team and can sit back and be honest about whether or not we're putting out a good product. I think we've hit a good stride with dining reviews and we are close to finding the perfect recipe.

Most "Tuesday" shows have felt better since being together in the same room and if we could add in someone like Deni/Steve who is lovably nerdy and wears their passion on their sleeve then it would be an entirely different dynamic and moving in the right direction. I'd love to have that new voice in before we hit Memorial Day so hopefully the search will be a lot faster than the studio took or the seven years Cousin Eddie was holding out for a management position.

Most "Tuesday" shows have felt better since being together in the same room and if we could add in someone like Deni/Steve who is lovably nerdy and wears their passion on their sleeve then it would be an entirely different dynamic and moving in the right direction.
The Tuesday show does feel better. Adding one or two new personalities may help. But as a long time viewer, the elephant in the room is the loss of the big three who were so comfortable with their friendship and shared experience they could joke, be naughty, and risque to a level that was incredibly funny and unlike any other cookie cutter influencer product peddled out there. It was a fun, smart and flirty adult show for adult Disney fans. Until last year. Now that dynamic and those personalities are gone. For every reason. However, trying to force the Tuesday show into some newish hybrid model of in park podcasting alternating with the old roundtable in studio style is a real struggle. It's awkward. Your audience knows it. There are people who do the in park podcast so well they can't be imitated and shouldn't. A big chunk of your remaining audience is still looking to recapture that one hour of fun that allowed them to escape from work and life. Nothing short of closing up the Boards and the show will satisfy others. You can't satisfy everyone.

But there are two overlooked strengths from the old days. Those strengths are not being leveraged. One is the dynamic and friendship between Craig and Ryno. Their personalities were overshadowed on the old Tuesday show but shone in their old Universal show. They owned that Universal show. That show was clever, witty, a little rude and sometimes crude but fun and really likeable. No doubt there were times JL thought she had been dropped into a frat house. I remember the Tool Time tv show parody. That dynamic between Craig and Ryno was gold. There will certainly be many who believe anything that fun and sassy is just too soon and insensitive. Fine. That should be acknowledged. But the alternative of burning everything down and hoping something wonderful rises from the ashes isn't going to end well. The Tuesday show needs to find its groove. Craig and Ryno may just be it if they can find their way back to that banter. Perhaps a few Universal focused Tuesday shows can help reset the needle and be a start. The second strength was the relationship and storytelling between Craig and Michael in Connecting with Walt. It was a grownup antidote to the sugar rush of the regular Tuesday show banter. The incredible history of Disney appeals to all of us. I don't know how or if that can find a way back into Dis Unlimited productions. Possibly short mini segments can be worked into the Tuesday show. They say you can't go back in time. But we can learn from our experiences. I really appreciate Craig's willingness to take comments onboard. Your old audience knows what it likes. But its fair to say we don't have the expertise to know how to get it done. We're supportive and patient and hope the Tuesday show can find its legs. Thanks for listening to genuine feedback. We mean well. No one has all the answers.

I fit in the age demographic where the previous production personalities were relatable to. I also fit into the demographic where the relocation story was very similar in moving from PA/NJ to Orlando decades ago.

That being said, there was a baseline of establishment with those shows. And that baseline allowed for those discussion points to mirror my sentiments on many experiences at WDW. You really had an Alpha A an Alpha B and even an Alpha C. That dynamic screamed for discussion conflict, and we got it. My selfish side enjoyed seeing it on occasion as it was unscripted and somewhat volatile yet controlled.

Now, the baseline for me has shifted. I am not suggesting that the new show isn't enjoyable or entertaining. Merely, my relatable side is adjusting to a new group, a new format and a new delta in terms of age. Those could, or perhaps should, be considered positive attributes. But it does require me to be a little more patient and allow the footing of the new show to settle. It's going into unchartered territories, and I like it.

I'm not convinced injecting a new, Alpha personality wouldn't cause a disruptive ripple effect if that is the target. Then again, maybe that's the sauce that could be missing in the recipe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter