Struggling to lose weight

My biggest issue is this lower belly pooch!!! Uggghhh.

I am totally in awe of the OP's huge efforts!!!!
But, I think that maybe there is probably a lot going on here, with Emer and with most all women!

Yes, age and hormones, etc.. can make a huge huge difference.
IMHO, that is just like a 'given'.
And, I totally believe in insulin resistance.
But, also, when I am reading about SO much excercise... how many miles a day, weights, etc...
That really catches my attention.
I am now more than 'a woman of a certain age'. And, that kind of weight training, with free-weights, etc. is just not good for the body. For bones and joints. And, that many miles a day.
Put all of that together with the limited calories and more vegan/vegetarian diet.
I am thinking that when people are going thru serious training, military, marathon, etc... and they are demanding that much from their body, that the need to feed the bodies needs are really stepped up.

It sounds, to me, like this might be a situation where the body is overly stressed, and is not getting all of the full nutritional support that it needs. Add in age and hormonal changes... less estrogen and higher levels of other hormones... And, while this sounds like so healthy and good and ideal, I think maybe a good, broad, look at everything as a whole might show that it might not be what it seems.

Emer, do you have a good doctor or nutritionist, or belong to a gym where they might have somebody who can make recommendations about physical activity and exercise? Or maybe look for some good books for women who are becoming 'middle aged', and want to be as young and healthy and fit as possible.

I hope you find some approaches that work for you!
Some very good points here! I do tend to go overboard, and especially now because I’m not getting the results I want and I’m frustrated.
I did talk to my doctor about it at my last physical, and he looked surprised and said, “You’re at a very healthy weight. You don’t need to worry about it.” But I’m 10-15 pounds above where I want to be so I can be comfortable in my clothes. I know there’s a “middle aged spread” but if I can fight it, I will. I don’t want to buy all new clothes! I know I can do this eventually, and I will.

I can’t remember who suggested calorie counting. I do log my food into my Fit Bit app, and I average around 1,200 calories a day, while burning around 1,900-2,000.

I can’t remember who suggested calorie counting. I do log my food into my Fit Bit app, and I average around 1,200 calories a day, while burning around 1,900-2,000.
You would be losing a good 1.5-2lbs a week if those numbers were correct. Are you weighing/measuring your food? Or are you eyeballing and guessing? How are you arriving at that calorie burn number?

I am going to Mexico. It is not the crazy amount of red tape that it is here in America. I had a friend of mine that did this through the same doctor last year and was way more over weight than I am and still wouldn't have done it here in America because of the red tape. Yes, there is not much hard work for me before the surgery, but yes, after the surgery, there is. You are a good example voice of sense here. I wouldn't want to "eat around" this type of surgery later on and regain a bunch of weight. I do not have an addiction to food. I do have an addiction to sugar though. I am wanting to develop an addiction of health and fitness.

I sure hope you are kidding. I was 40 pounds overweight....not that different from you. And, there is no way on this earth that I'd choose to undergo surgery without making a SERIOUS change in my diet and exercise FIRST to see whether that would work. You do realize that there are people who die having this surgery, right? I'd only do surgery if I'd tried absolutely everything else, AND if there were serious health concerns that needed to be addressed (and would be) because of an "extra" 50 pounds. I was NOT in poor health when I lost my weight. Not in the least. I was doing it for me, and I did the work. Please reconsider this decision. It is not sound. Yes, it takes TIME to lose weight. It took me close to 9 months because I did it the right way. About a pound a week is sustainable, and good for long term success. But, no expense of surgery. No unnecessary risk. Develop your addiction to fitness and health BEFORE you have this surgery. For the life of me, I do not understand why you think you addiction to sugar is just going to magically disappear after you have surgery. If it was that easy...do it TODAY. And I'll bet if you get rid of that addiction, the pounds will drop off. No surgery required.

Because you’re not a good candidate for the surgery. It’s not supposed to be a quick fix designer weight loss aid. It’s meant to help people who are chronically obese that have or are at risk for other diseases that will kill them. It’s a last resort type of thing. You’re going to do what you’re going to do but I encourage you to look up what you’re trading in health wise to lose 50lbs.

What makes you think that you will magically change yours? Especially since you won’t be going through the actual classes and process meant to help teach you that? You’d be far better off finding a good dietician (that your insurance might help pay for) and educate yourself.
Then why would the FDA approve me for the Lap Band surgery if I were not a good candidate for it?

About 10 years ago my best friend had lab band. She was obese and they made her take classes and lose a certain amount of weight before the surgery. She had the surgery, had no complications and worked incredibly hard to acheive around 130 lb weight loss. She took up running and ran some half marathons. Still runs, I think, 3 days a week. She had (still has) issues with sagging skin and she struggles with that a lot.

Her biggest issue is the eating now - she still - 10 years later - cannot eat a normal meal. She has to pick at food or she throws up, she has a very hard time getting healthy portions in and has ended up gaining prob 40 pounds back. She is so frustrated that she is unable to sit down and have a "normal" meal with her kids, and eating on vacation is a huge struggle for her. It seemed like a perfect idea 10 years ago, but at this point she has a lot of doubt whether she would chose to do it if she knew what it would turn her life into.

About 10 years ago my best friend had lab band. She was obese and they made her take classes and lose a certain amount of weight before the surgery. She had the surgery, had no complications and worked incredibly hard to acheive around 130 lb weight loss. She took up running and ran some half marathons. Still runs, I think, 3 days a week. She had (still has) issues with sagging skin and she struggles with that a lot.

Her biggest issue is the eating now - she still - 10 years later - cannot eat a normal meal. She has to pick at food or she throws up, she has a very hard time getting healthy portions in and has ended up gaining prob 40 pounds back. She is so frustrated that she is unable to sit down and have a "normal" meal with her kids, and eating on vacation is a huge struggle for her. It seemed like a perfect idea 10 years ago, but at this point she has a lot of doubt whether she would chose to do it if she knew what it would turn her life into.
That's info someone today would discover in 30 seconds of searching. Not so much years ago when it was relatively new. I am sorry your friend still struggles. Weight loss surgery is not a magic pill nor a miracle cure. Your food issue don't go away like magic after the surgery.

I am afraid though in ten years if I don't do this I will be very obese. Once I hit menopause the pounds will really pack on. And if I do gain back 20-30 pounds in ten years after losing 60, I will still be much better off.

That's info someone today would discover in 30 seconds of searching. Not so much years ago when it was relatively new. I am sorry your friend still struggles. Weight loss surgery is not a magic pill nor a miracle cure. Your food issue don't go away like magic after the surgery.

Yep, you're right. She says she has to spend more time thinking about and planning food now then she ever did before. Back when she got it, it was relatively newish and seen as they better alternative to the full gastric bypass - and it's just so easy to grab onto things when you are desperate.

As for me, I'm currently on my Jan/Feb diet. Without fail I get down to a good weight for me by around April/May each year and do great maintaining it until about Oct when I start gaining. I really need to be more disciplined in the fall obviously as this is about the 4th year of this cycle. But at least so far, cutting back on the calories yields the same results as it always has.

I am afraid though in ten years if I don't do this I will be very obese. Once I hit menopause the pounds will really pack on. And if I do gain back 20-30 pounds in ten years after losing 60, I will still be much better off.

Sure she has maintained a lot of the weight loss, but she's fairly miserable and isn't happy with her quality of life. So there is more to consider then just the actual number on the scale.

Then why would the FDA approve me for the Lap Band surgery if I were not a good candidate for it?

You sound like you're dead set on having this surgery. Plenty of people have given you good advice and suggested it's a terrible idea. It's your choice, and good luck. Just don't be surprised if you don't get the results you want....or wind up even heavier.

As for calorie counting, it is important. It's also important to feed your body the calories it needs. Starving it by eating a very low number and/or having a huge deficit every day for a long time isn't good either and will not get results you want.

Just because the FDA approves for that amount of weight doesn’t mean they approve it for YOU. That’s where your doctors come in. If you aren’t at imminent risk they’re going to advise you to lose in a much safer, less invasive way.
You don’t seem to understand that surgery is not a cure for the issues that have caused you to gain. You’re still going to have them and you aren’t planning to deal with them which does not bode well for long term success. The people I personally know who have had the surgery never lost all the weight they intended and all started gaining back within two years. So now they are heavy, can’t eat, are vitamin deficient and have developed other addictions like alcoholism and gambling. The people that I have seen have success are the ones on sites like MFP or LoseIt who are working their butts off to keep themselves in line.

I don't understand this comment. The FDA does not, to the best of my knowledge, approve surgeries for specific people. That's not what they do. The decide whether drugs and medical procedures are effective and safe, and thus approve their use within the US, sometimes limiting that approval to people who meet certain criteria. The FDA HAS approved the lap band procedure for people who meet certain criteria, but it is STILL up to an individual surgeon to decide whether YOU meet those criteria and are otherwise a good candidate. The fact that you cannot find a surgeon in the US to perform this procedure on you is quite telling. Do you even meet the FDA's requirements (must have a BMI of at least 30 with at least one significant co-morbid condition (such as weight related diabetes). At 40 pounds overweight, I wasn't close to that BMI. I would have had to carry twice that in excess weight to meet that criteria...plus of course, have a co-morbid condition (which I do not have). If you've consulted with multiple doctors in the US and been turned down by all, that should tell you something loud and clear. To ignore that is foolhardy.

I want to get back to OP because it's clear the lap band conversation is going nowhere. OP, I do agree with the other poster who said if this is correct, you'd be losing about a pound a week minimum. In our house I do have a food scale. Weighing out the grams is important, and sometimes serving sizes do vary from what's printed on the side of a box which can lead to discrepancies. Also make sure you're including every little thing - the oil and vinegar on your salad, for example. Beverages? And double check your calories burned too. A lot of workout machines or calculators overestimate. I have tried various apps and devices but for me, writing it down on paper in a good old fashioned journal works well.

Thanks for your input, everyone! I guess it’s good to know I’m not alone. I do weights when I exercise at home (kettle bells, and body pump which uses barbells and hand weights). I’m a vegetarian and I tend to like healthy food, so my daily meals are typically:
Whole grain Cereal or oatmeal, coffee with 1 tsp creamer, no sugar
Kale salad every day for lunch, with veggies, almonds, and oil and vinegar
Water to drink all day
Vegetarian chili, homemade tomato soup or something similar for dinner. Sometimes I make a veggie burger or veggie pizza.
For a treat after dinner I like a drink of sparkling water with a twist of lemon or lime.
I think that’s a fairly reasonable diet, and with exercise added to it it should be working. It’s really surprising that it’s not. I could cut back on carbs- sometimes I put croutons on my salad or have a little bread with dinner. Maybe that needs to go.
It shocks me how little I need to eat to just maintain my weight (since I’m not losing). I see friends of mine at work eating much more than I do, and adding sweets, drinks, etc. I’m a petite person so maybe that’s why I can’t afford even a little “extra.”
Frankly, it sounds like you are not eating enough. That can stall weight loss as much as overeating.

Glad to know you know that I can do it. You must know be better than I know myself. The insurance won't pay for it because of money, plain and simple.

Actually, insurance won't cover it because it is not a medical necessity and because your weight problem can be addressed by diet and exercise. I am 61 and have lost 80 pounds in the last 16 months on Weight Watchers (online only) on top of the thirty pounds I lost in the few years prior on my own. It takes a lot of measuring and weighing and a constant vigilance on what and how much I am eating. It's certainly not easy or quick and progress is slowing down now that I only have another 45 pounds to go. I'm changing my entire relationship with food and expect this to be my way of life going forward. I'm now starting to tackle the exercise piece to build muscle and improve my strength. Since your insurance won't pay, why not give WW a try?

You would be losing a good 1.5-2lbs a week if those numbers were correct. Are you weighing/measuring your food? Or are you eyeballing and guessing? How are you arriving at that calorie burn number?
I measured it initially (using measuring cups) and now I eyeball it because I know what it should look like. It’s totally possible that I’m not calculating it correctly.

Frankly, it sounds like you are not eating enough. That can stall weight loss as much as overeating.

I second this. On Weight Watchers, it is common knowledge that when we don't eat all of our daily points or use any of our weekly points, weight loss will stall or even cause someone to gain. The body's starvation mode is real. Try adding more lean protein, fruits and vegetables, whole grains and low or fat free dairy. Also remember to drink enough water. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter