Struggling to lose weight

I'd be wary of any doctor willing to do major surgery for that small amount of weight to lose.
I can see your point. But I don't think 60lbs is a small amount. But do you know that the FDA has actually approved weight loss surgery for me here in the states with the Lap Band? But insurance still won't pay for it.

Could I lose 20, ya, probably, 60, no. I feel like I am being proactive here. This is not to say that YOUR LIFESTYLE DOESN'T HAVE TO CHANGE, IT DOES! You get the weight off with the "tool" and then you work to keep it off.

Could I lose 20, ya, probably, 60, no. I feel like I am being proactive here. This is not to say that YOUR LIFESTYLE DOESN'T HAVE TO CHANGE, IT DOES! You get the weight off with the "tool" and then you work to keep it off.
If you can lose 20, you can lose 60. There is a good reason insurance won't approve it.

If you can lose 20, you can lose 60. There is a good reason insurance won't approve it.
Glad to know you know that I can do it. You must know be better than I know myself. The insurance won't pay for it because of money, plain and simple.

I will be getting the last laugh when I am down to my 25-year-old weight next year.

I will be getting the last laugh when I am down to my 25-year-old weight next year.
You do know that you have to lose weight on your own initially to prove you can maintain after the surgery don’t you? Have you started the program yet? It’s quite the process to get approved and can take six months to a year. If your doctor does not require counseling, modification and nutrition classes I would run the other way.

With all due respect I have several family members who have had WLS (my aunt, younger brother, sister and two cousins.) All have found a way to “eat around” the surgery and have regained as well as developing other addictions. Don’t get me wrong WLS can be lifesaving for some but it’s not a cure for food addiction and it’s a LOT of hard work before and after. Far more than going the traditional route and you will forever have deal with the very real side effects.

It is not as simple as creating a calorie deficit. For me if my hormones are unbalanced I could eat a 1000 calories a day and still gain weight. Once my hormones are sorted it works but if unbalanced it just doesn't. My Dr backed this up saying it is pretty much impossible to lose weight if your oestrogen is too low. I do WW which has worked for me for many years but when my hormones went wrong WW had me putting on weight it took over a year to get to the bottom of it.

If your hormones are so stable that eating less always works for you you are lucky. Many women's bodies don't do that and need to sort out the hormones first before doing lower calories otherwise they will just get disheartened when it doesn't work.
I’m 51, my hormones are anything but stable, lol. I will just defer to Christine’s posts on this as they mirror my own thoughts and you and I will just have to agree to disagree on the finer points of this side discussion.
The scale moved 1 more pound! It's crazy how motivated I feel by this!
(I guess it does take some patience in addition to dedication...)
Nice! Congrats!

Wow. I guess I just didn't do what I did. Took my very post menopausal weight down to my 30 year old weight. And, I disagree completely that the amount of exercise I get is "inappropriate" for someone my age. 4.5 miles a day average is not that far! And, if you think it is, it's part of the problem. I'm not running marathons, which I agree is probably stressful for a body over 60 years old. Heck, I'm not even running 10Ks! And, you don't want to start from your couch and immediately move to 4 miles a day. You've got to work up to it gradually. I feel FANTASTIC. My health is excellent. I'm "depriving" myself of nothing. I get adequate nutrition for a woman of my age and fitness level....which is LESS than I ate as a 30 year old, but that's just how it is. The reason people gain weight is they keep eating as if they are 20 or 30 when they are not. Is it hard? Well, it's not "easy", but it also wasn't that difficult. For me, keeping track and holding myself accountable for every last morsel I ate is what worked. Other people have success in other ways.

Just as an example, over the holidays, I made flourless chocolate cake (eggs, chocolate, butter and sugar...that's it). Ate quite a bit of it, but never a LARGE slice. Always a small piece and only once each day. I ate the turkey, the mashed potatoes, the squash....the cheeses, the crackers, etc. And, once I week I eat an entire wood fired pizza (personal size...10 inches in diameter) with cheese, lots of cheese, on top. I have not gained a single pound since hitting my goal weight because I keep my total average calories below about 1600 per day. Works for me.

I KNOW there are some people with metabolic disorders, etc, but MOST people can lose weight by following the simple principal of eating less calories than they burn in a day. If you haven't seriously tried, and stuck with it for an extended period of time, then you don't know. When I was losing weight, I did not "cheat" and I did not eat pizza and chocolate. Now, that I'm maintaining, I can literally eat anything I want. Just smaller portions! I do not feel hungry. The only time I felt hungry was the first week I was trying to lose weight. It was awful. But, as my body adjusted to eating the appropriate amount of calories, that feeling went away. :-)

surgery is very rarely the answer to weight loss. It teaches you nothing. Healthy lifestyle healthy eating is the correct answer. It's not as hard as people seem to think it really is.

wenrob is spot on in most, if not all, of the posts.

If you are 60 pounds or more overweight, it's going to take some patience. you didn't get that heavy overnight, and you won't be able to lose the weight overnight. Surgery is just a terrible answer, imo.

You do know that you have to lose weight on your own initially to prove you can maintain after the surgery don’t you? Have you started the program yet? It’s quite the process to get approved and can take six months to a year. If your doctor does not require counseling, modification and nutrition classes I would run the other way.

With all due respect I have several family members who have had WLS (my aunt, younger brother, sister and two cousins.) All have found a way to “eat around” the surgery and have regained as well as developing other addictions. Don’t get me wrong WLS can be lifesaving for some but it’s not a cure for food addiction and it’s a LOT of hard work before and after. Far more than going the traditional route and you will forever have deal with the very real side effects.
I am going to Mexico. It is not the crazy amount of red tape that it is here in America. I had a friend of mine that did this through the same doctor last year and was way more over weight than I am and still wouldn't have done it here in America because of the red tape. Yes, there is not much hard work for me before the surgery, but yes, after the surgery, there is. You are a good example voice of sense here. I wouldn't want to "eat around" this type of surgery later on and regain a bunch of weight. I do not have an addiction to food. I do have an addiction to sugar though. I am wanting to develop an addiction of health and fitness.

The impact of age is not due to the slowdown in metabolism so much as the hormonal changes going on about 45-50. The drop in Oestrogen is the big culprit.

Yes, this! As woman approach menopause, our bodies like to hold on to any additional weight "in case of a pregnancy" as a last ditch effort. We get a hormone change, that is why you hear them say that woman who hit 40 become more "frisky". Many, many, many woman suffer the same thing and are unable to loose the weight until after menopause.

Yes, this! As woman approach menopause, our bodies like to hold on to any additional weight "in case of a pregnancy" as a last ditch effort. We get a hormone change, that is why you hear them say that woman who hit 40 become more "frisky". Many, many, many woman suffer the same thing and are unable to loose the weight until after menopause.
I have heard of many cases where a woman will lose a bunch of weight and then become pregnant. Some even after a tubal. Even in their forties. That is scary as hell to me.

I am going to Mexico. It is not the crazy amount of red tape that it is here in America. I had a friend of mine that did this through the same doctor last year and was way more over weight than I am and still wouldn't have done it here in America because of the red tape. Yes, there is not much hard work for me before the surgery, but yes, after the surgery, there is. You are a good example voice of sense here. I wouldn't want to "eat around" this type of surgery later on and regain a bunch of weight. I do not have an addiction to food. I do have an addiction to sugar though. I am wanting to develop an addiction of health and fitness.
Well the thing is if you don’t work through the ‘why’ the ‘how’ will only be temporary. By skipping all that red tape you are setting yourself up to do exactly that. Eating around the surgery is not purposeful at first and you don’t even realize you’re doing it but once you do it’s hard to stop. Honestly, you sound like someone who NEEDS the red tape. It’s a huge physical change that you have to live with the rest of your life and will not likely be the fix you’re hoping for. You don’t know me from Adam but I strongly suggest you reconsider and at the very least go through the red tape. It’s there for a reason.

Wow. I guess I just didn't do what I did. Took my very post menopausal weight down to my 30 year old weight. And, I disagree completely that the amount of exercise I get is "inappropriate" for someone my age. 4.5 miles a day average is not that far! And, if you think it is, it's part of the problem. I'm not running marathons, which I agree is probably stressful for a body over 60 years old. Heck, I'm not even running 10Ks! And, you don't want to start from your couch and immediately move to 4 miles a day. You've got to work up to it gradually. I feel FANTASTIC. My health is excellent. I'm "depriving" myself of nothing. I get adequate nutrition for a woman of my age and fitness level....which is LESS than I ate as a 30 year old, but that's just how it is. The reason people gain weight is they keep eating as if they are 20 or 30 when they are not. Is it hard? Well, it's not "easy", but it also wasn't that difficult. For me, keeping track and holding myself accountable for every last morsel I ate is what worked. Other people have success in other ways.

Just as an example, over the holidays, I made flourless chocolate cake (eggs, chocolate, butter and sugar...that's it). Ate quite a bit of it, but never a LARGE slice. Always a small piece and only once each day. I ate the turkey, the mashed potatoes, the squash....the cheeses, the crackers, etc. And, once I week I eat an entire wood fired pizza (personal size...10 inches in diameter) with cheese, lots of cheese, on top. I have not gained a single pound since hitting my goal weight because I keep my total average calories below about 1600 per day. Works for me.

I KNOW there are some people with metabolic disorders, etc, but MOST people can lose weight by following the simple principal of eating less calories than they burn in a day. If you haven't seriously tried, and stuck with it for an extended period of time, then you don't know. When I was losing weight, I did not "cheat" and I did not eat pizza and chocolate. Now, that I'm maintaining, I can literally eat anything I want. Just smaller portions! I do not feel hungry. The only time I felt hungry was the first week I was trying to lose weight. It was awful. But, as my body adjusted to eating the appropriate amount of calories, that feeling went away. :-)

Just want to say that I agree with your entire post. The only place you and I differ in approach is that, no matter how long I "eat right", I am always hungry. I've always had a very large appetite according to my mother (even as a child in the 60s when people didn't gorge like they do now). I was lucky in that I was thin/slender most of my life and some would still view me as that way today. But I always have an appetite and it never moderates out to not feeling hungry. It does get better as I moderate my eating, but I am always thinking of food. I've just resigned myself to that's how I am.

Just want to say that I agree with your entire post. The only place you and I differ in approach is that, no matter how long I "eat right", I am always hungry. I've always had a very large appetite according to my mother (even as a child in the 60s when people didn't gorge like they do now). I was lucky in that I was thin/slender most of my life and some would still view me as that way today. But I always have an appetite and it never moderates out to not feeling hungry. It does get better as I moderate my eating, but I am always thinking of food. I've just resigned myself to that's how I am.
This is me too! I'm always hungry!

Oh man. I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but in the event you are, I'll tell you that I have an acquaintance - a close friend of a close friend - who wanted to lose about 50 lbs. She wanted a lap band to "make" her eat well. She too went to Mexico for the surgery because no reputable doctor would perform it in the states. Fortunately in HER case there were no surgical complications (ever watched "Botched"!?!?) but her life now is very unhealthy. Sure, she has lost weight, but she didn't change her lifestyle and so she eats and drinks more than she should with a lap band, just makes frequent trips to the restroom because she has to throw up. Basically the lap band has turned her into a bulimic. Yay? There are reasons there is red tape in the United States, and why you have to leave the country to find doctors willing to perform certain procedures for people that aren't good candidates. I doubt any of us here will change your mind, but if anyone else is reading, please take heed.

Right. She didn't change her lifestyle. Not surprising. That is part of it. You have to change as well.

Well the thing is if you don’t work through the ‘why’ the ‘how’ will only be temporary. By skipping all that red tape you are setting yourself up to do exactly that. Eating around the surgery is not purposeful at first and you don’t even realize you’re doing it but once you do it’s hard to stop. Honestly, you sound like someone who NEEDS the red tape. It’s a huge physical change that you have to live with the rest of your life and will not likely be the fix you’re hoping for. You don’t know me from Adam but I strongly suggest you reconsider and at the very least go through the red tape. It’s there for a reason.
But I can't. No doctor will even do any weight loss surgery on me even though the FDA has approved me for it.

But I can't. No doctor will even do any weight loss surgery on me even though the FDA has approved me for it.
Because you’re not a good candidate for the surgery. It’s not supposed to be a quick fix designer weight loss aid. It’s meant to help people who are chronically obese that have or are at risk for other diseases that will kill them. It’s a last resort type of thing. You’re going to do what you’re going to do but I encourage you to look up what you’re trading in health wise to lose 50lbs.
Right. She didn't change her lifestyle. Not surprising. That is part of it. You have to change as well.
What makes you think that you will magically change yours? Especially since you won’t be going through the actual classes and process meant to help teach you that? You’d be far better off finding a good dietician (that your insurance might help pay for) and educate yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter