Struggling to choose August dates

tyaron23

Earning My Ears
We're really struggling to choose between two sets of dates in August to spend in the parks. It's the trip we've planned for years where we are going to finally stay at the resort and our kids are at the most magical ages, so we feel like we need to get it right! Basically we are trying to decide between the 3rd week (22-26 in parks) or the 4th (Aug 29-Sep 2 in parks). We keep going back and forth with arguments that 3rd week is right when kids are back in school (we're Canadian so our kids aren't back till Sept), so crowds will have dropped at that point. However, the imagine keys are just opening back up during the 3rd week so that might balance out drops in attendance from schools back. On the other side, the 4th week looks promising from previous years calendars, with the main concern being that it backs onto the labor day long weekend. Compounding all the uncertainty is just how covid crowds / new normal with reservations etc make it all hard to predict either way. Anyone have any insight to help tip the scales? Thanks in advance!

Go with the dates that work best for you personally, regardless of whatever you think crowd levels might be. There are just too many variables that could affect how crowded the park feels to guess with any certainty: schools, Magic keys, staffing levels, park hours, weather, ride refurbishments, etc.

And once you choose dates, make those the best you can and don’t second guess yourself.

If you are really worried about crowds to the point of anxiety over the decision then do this: add more dates to your trip.

Adding more time is the best way to manage a crowded park because it gives you more time to do the things you want, which means less pressure to fight the crowds at a specific attraction.

We always used to go 3rd or 4th week of August, and usually the 4th week was maybe a little less busy, though both were pretty good. But, it's hard to say these days. I would think that it might be closer to pre-pandemic trends this year than any year since covid started.

TBH, I don't think you can go wrong with either of those weeks, and in fact the decision can maybe rest on other factors, like, will going the 3rd week give your kids more time to get ready for school, etc.

We've gone towards the end of August a few times and one thing to keep in mind, if it's important to you, is that Haunted Mansion closes towards the end of August in order to do the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay. I'm not sure which date it will close this year, but my guess is that it's more likely to still be open if you chose the third week over the fourth. If it is open when you go, check the refurbishment schedule and ride it while it's still open if it is planned to close during your trip. (This is my son's favorite ride.)

Also, have a plan to keep cool (drink lots of ice water, wear light colored breathable clothing, go inside air conditioned spots to cool off, eat lots of Dole Whips) as the last time we went in late August is was over 100 degrees F every day.

Pre-Covid experiences are out the window. As you have probably read nothing is like it use to be.
No one can really tell when is the best time to go because there are NO slow times any more.
It is crowded most every day now.
Pick your dates and plan to be flexible once you arrive.

Is August typically hotter than July?

Yes. August, September and even a good portion of October are some of the hottest months.

It's hard to know for sure what the plan is for Halloweentime but in 2021 I believe it officially started the Friday of labor day weekend so if they do the same this year you will get to see the Halloween decorations going up over the course of that week and maybe even one day of full day Halloweentime (including the NBC Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay on HM).

We have gone the last week of August several times and it's our preferred week with exception being that Haunted Mansion is *always* closed for the layover. We love that week as it's typically really quite as most schools are back in session. We've never experienced 100f heat: but a few times it has gotten really toasty. But that's why we stay on site and just go back to the hotel pool! We have typically arrived Sunday and made that a pool day and go home either Thursday or Friday to avoid the labor day crowds.

This past August 2021 was AMAZING - the crowd levels were so low as it was just before Magic Keys were sold. We did pretty much everything with less than a 15 min wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter