Strollers in the Hallways at Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is curious, the Building Code requires a minimum corridor with of 44 inches (I'm an engineer who works on the design of buildings for life safety). That is just for exiting and could increase depending on the number of people using the corridor. I don't exactly carry a tape measure with me so don't know if that is being met, but I would agree with the PP's saying the ECVs can obstruct first responders as well as other people just trying to use them!

I actually went ahead and emailed Disney about my complaints. In the future, if I'm there and see ECVs I will probably take a photo and tweet to Disney's twitter. They are actually VERY responsive if you tweet them directly - i.e. I noticed an issue with one of the FoP preshow room's screens being off (like someone bumped into it), and they responded and addressed it. Also probably email the General Manager of the resort (they have been providing letters with email addresses upon check-in).

And I think they need to be plugged in too, right? So they'd need to be parked by an outlet. There's usually outlets in the hallway.
They do. When I am responsible for a thousand dollar plus item, whether owned or rented, it would be ridiculously irresponsible of me to leave it out of my control to potentially be damaged or stolen.

Ugh this is just beyond tacky. It takes away from the resort experience of a deluxe!
Ugh this is just beyond tacky. It takes away from the resort experience of a deluxe! Fixed it for ya! ;)
It depends how much space they are taking up in the walkway. You are allowed a certain amount of inches needed to walk. So if they are not taking up that much space than they are fine.
ADA requirement "
  • Minimum passage width for one wheelchair and one ambulatory person is 48 inches."
Doesn't seem to account for device storage.
I also to your point outside or hallway people can still walk off with it. If people want something they will find a way to take it.
True, but that would be much more difficult/unlikely with the device locked inside one's room.

I have not noticed this. I hope I never do. Lol. It’s just lazy not to put the stroller away. Simple as that. I’ll have to pay attention next trip.

Only one ECV was plugged in and charging in the hallway when we were at BCV. All the rest were just parked in the hallway. If a housekeeper with a cart or bell services with luggage tried to get through the hallway, it could be difficult to pass the ECV in the hallway, especially the larger/wider ones for larger/wider persons. Just about all the ones I saw were parked outside studios.

If you put it there it’s now in the way of your exit in case of fire or emergency
It's movable. You move it.
I can fit an ECV in an older Pop room near the table; in an SSR studio near but in no way blocking the door (but plugged into an outlet there; easily in an OKW studio, again near the table but also the patio doors; somewhere in a BCV studio, but that was so many years ago I don't recall; in a POR room near the table...

I don't understand strollers being left in the hallways. In the years we used a stroller, we never had an issue fitting it in our room at Pop Century, so how do they not fit in a DVC room?

Ugh this is just beyond tacky. It takes away from the resort experience of a deluxe! Fixed it for ya! ;)

ADA requirement "
  • Minimum passage width for one wheelchair and one ambulatory person is 48 inches."
Doesn't seem to account for device storage.

True, but that would be much more difficult/unlikely with the device locked inside one's room.

I specifically said deluxe because they have hallways.

I was shocked by how many ECVs I saw permanently sitting outside rooms at Pop Century last week. Not only did they block the entire walkway, but it was the height of lovebug season. Ick.

I don't know how ECVs work, but wouldn't it be bad for the machinery to leave them in the elements all the time? Not to mention inconsiderate of other people at the resort.

I did not see many strollers.

You park it with the scooter headed out the door and you'll get on it to leave. Or wait in the room to be rescued. The hallways and rooms are all sprinkled.
Agreed...i always laugh (as a professional firefighter) when people mention fire hazards or emergency....these rooms as all hotels are sprinklered..you aren't going to die or anything else. Its not like they are 44 stories high...If i ever need an ECV. I would keep it in the room..It just seems common sense. I mean its safe there, gets charged...there really is no reason to leave it outside..Just seems risky to me.

Be there in July and I like to have fun. Musical strollers it will be. Thanks for the idea:duck::duck:pirate:pirate::charac2:
not saying people should leave them in hallways but with the security cameras in halls moving them might not be a good idea as it would be easy to see who moved them. just saying 2 wrongs don't make it right

You know, I would love to travel when you do...and stay in an adjoining room. I'd feel safer - and the closest I ever came to a hotel fire was some idiot pulling the alarm at 4 AM in a Washington DC hotel.
Thats 99.9% of our runs to hotels...Someone pulls a fire alarm. Thinks its funny to see everyone have to wait outside...until they are caught...Its quite a serious charge.
I should say...99.9%of fire runs to hotels. We do go a lot for Medic runs. EMS runs to hotels are daily.

not saying people should leave them in hallways but with the security cameras in halls moving them might not be a good idea as it would be easy to see who moved them. just saying 2 wrongs don't make it right

I was going to mention the security cameras. Supposedly they are all right over. Why is someone from security not seeing all these strollers & ECVs & addressing the issue? I have seen ECVs in the hallway at YC for years, but only one or 2. Haven’t seen multiple strollers at YC. We did see a stroller outside a room at POR last year. We thought is was strange that it was there every time we left our room, no matter what time of day or night. We couldn’t imagine why someone would risk leaving their personal stroller unattended so much. I would also think twice putting my child in there after who knows what critters were running around in it all night. :crazy2:

I have never seen this before, but It doesn't surprise me. NO way would I leave my stroller outside. I hate leaving it when we have to go on rides. Too much theft these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter