Stroller for 8 yr. old? Which one?

So what? If the whole family can enjoy more time in the park because they choose to use a stroller, so what? It is their choice.

I guess I think that it is pretty ridiculous to make your family all go back to the resort to rest when the youngest one is tired. Or to make your family split up on their vacation, when so many families get so little time together as a whole in their day to day lives.

I don't really care and it isn't like I would ever in a million years say something to someone "in real life" but I think that the youngest child should be given the same respect the oldest one was at that age and if that means everyone returns or they split up, they should. This is for kids over 6 in a stroller. I think before Kindergarten is fine, Kindergarten to me is a gray area and after that- nope. Too old. Too humiliating. But, that is my opinion for my family. My son is 25 months and walks 90% of the time right now. I can't imagine him needing a stroller in 4 years- and I teach 1st grade, so I know that age group too.

I don't really care and it isn't like I would ever in a million years say something to someone "in real life" but I think that the youngest child should be given the same respect the oldest one was at that age and if that means everyone returns or they split up, they should. This is for kids over 6 in a stroller. I think before Kindergarten is fine, Kindergarten to me is a gray area and after that- nope. Too old. Too humiliating. But, that is my opinion for my family. My son is 25 months and walks 90% of the time right now. I can't imagine him needing a stroller in 4 years- and I teach 1st grade, so I know that age group too.

I don't see giving a child the option of getting into a stroller as humiliating. I wouldn't force a child into one, but I would give them the option of using one, if they felt they needed one to keep going.

Btw, I think you are forgetting that not all kids enter kindergarten at the same age. Some are held back until they are 5 or 6, but some go in as young as 4. I would have no problem whatsoever letting a 4 yr old use a stroller at WDW.

So what? If the whole family can enjoy more time in the park because they choose to use a stroller, so what? It is their choice.

I guess I think that it is pretty ridiculous to make your family all go back to the resort to rest when the youngest one is tired. Or to make your family split up on their vacation, when so many families get so little time together as a whole in their day to day lives.

Split up if you want. Go back to the resort if you want. Put your 8 yr old into a stroller. Why do people care so much how other choose to parent?

Because if an able-bodies 8yo is asking to go back to the room in WDW, odd are they are exhausted. My 8.5yo goes to bed at 7:30pm at home (barring soccer nights, which is 8pm since we get home at 7:15). At WDW she could stay out till midnight. In fact, her girl scout troop went to DL 2 weeks ago, all 7-9yo kids. All in bed by 8:30 at home. Most walked fine from 8am-midnight. The one who asked to leave around 9pm was exhausted. It would not have been fair to her to stick her in a stroller when she wanted to go to bed. Most kids don't want to leave fun so if they are begging to go, that unusually means they can't go on anymore.

Family trip means workin around all family members. Yes, there have been times that we kept a young one out late and in a stroller, but a 1/2/3yo and it was never in their best interest. It would be a one night kinda thing, like say fireworks night, but every night of a trip, no way. Or because I (or my husband) want to stay out? Never.

Exactly. Each family member deserves respect, not "hose the little one cause we want more park time".

And I agree, having a 1st grader, I can't imagine him wanting to be in a stroller.

I don't see giving a child the option of getting into a stroller as humiliating. I wouldn't force a child into one, but I would give them the option of using one, if they felt they needed one to keep going.

Btw, I think you are forgetting that not all kids enter kindergarten at the same age. Some are held back until they are 5 or 6, but some go in as young as 4. I would have no problem whatsoever letting a 4 yr old use a stroller at WDW.

I think she was basing it on the average kindergarten age of 5yo. I had the youngest kindergartener in his class (August bday and we start school August 9th, August cutoff) and now youngest 1st grader. So for me, average first grader is 6-7yo. And by then they should be capable of walking if they don't have health issues.

Sorry I asked. I didn't ask what everyone's opinion was of me renting a stroller for my 8 year old. I only asked for a comparison of the two strollers.

I just can't believe how rude people can be in here. I posted something about my sister and her special needs daughter getting harassed on a ride at DISNEY and the replies I got were so nasty and mean. Someone even said that "my sister should just deal with it". There is a much nicer forum site Tagrel.com. You will get your answers there. Hope you try it out. As for the stroller I have seen and know of older kids in them at DISNEY. Do what's best for your family!!!!

I volunteer with Dreams Take Flight and once a year we take special kids to Magic Kingdom for one very magical day. We have a group leader, two other adults and eight children. Usually we get one wheel chair in case one of these special kids need to rest for a while. Remember this is one day, there are no options to go back to the hotel and rest. We go commando pretty much from arrival around 10:30 am until leaving just after MSEP or fireworks.

Last year I had a little girl who had a problem with walking and was told by her Mom that she would need a wheel chair because she would not be able to walk all day. This little girl refused to ride in the wheel chair, she wanted to walk like everyone else, she was an inspiration to any able bodied person. We had to almost force to her to sit in the wheel chair late in the day when she was slowing us down. Her sister was also on the trip and talked her into riding. Oh, she was also deaf and mute. An amazing little girl to be sure!

I also had a five year old one year and thought there is no way she is keeping up with us and she did too.

Awww, that Little Girl sounds like a true inspiration. Thank you for sharing that experience with us.

I just can't believe how rude people can be in here. I posted something about my sister and her special needs daughter getting harassed on a ride at DISNEY and the replies I got were so nasty and mean. Someone even said that "my sister should just deal with it". There is a much nicer forum site Tagrel.com. You will get your answers there. Hope you try it out. As for the stroller I have seen and know of older kids in them at DISNEY. Do what's best for your family!!!!

I have not seen any rude comments. I have seen that folks are not all in agreement but no one has been rude. I admit that I find it odd that a healthy tween needs a stroller but I don't think I insulted anyone.

Leajess99 - I am blessed to a volunteer with this amazing organization. The kids stories are usually heart breaking. One little boy told me at the beginning of wishes when he heard Jiminy Cricket that he didn't know what a conscience was until he lived with a foster family. Good thing it was dark when he told me that, there were nearly tears!

Any way, this conversation would be a different thread!

I also find these stories of children with special needs heart warming.

however, this thread was started by someone whose child does not have special needs. and this is what many posters are responding to.

If every elementary aged child sat in a stroller,because they get tired, the park would be JAMMED with strollers. fantasyland would be impassable. the wait time for busses back to the resorts.. I don't even want to think about it.

just walking down the pathways at the parks would be an adventure in and of itself.. disabled people (young and old alike) in wheelchairs and/or ECVs wouldn't have a chance.
those with vision impariment are just out of luck entirely.

I feel I am advocating FOR those with special needs when I say it is ridiculous for healthy, able bodied (not on the spectrum) elementary aged children to be in strollers.

my kids are 5 and 7...I used to bring my sit and stand..this year neither kid will need a stroller but I am bringing a single one...just to hold our stuff :)

my kids are 5 and 7...I used to bring my sit and stand..this year neither kid will need a stroller but I am bringing a single one...just to hold our stuff :)

Why not reduce the amount of stuff you bring (make everyone carry their own stuff) and leave that stroller at home? It would really be a pain to bring a stroller just to carry extra stuff around.

ya know, wagons, rolling luggage, etc. are all not allowed in the parks. disney knows they take up too much space, clog walkways, take up too much space on the buses.

so you are basically finding a "loophole" to lug your stuff around by pretending you are using a stroller for children. nice. so can hubby and I push our stuff around in a stroller, too? we won't be putting a child in it, either.:confused3

Why not reduce the amount of stuff you bring (make everyone carry their own stuff) and leave that stroller at home? It would really be a pain to bring a stroller just to carry extra stuff around.

I agree. At those ages, what do you need to bring that requires a stroller?

I'm sure young children can walk most of the day my 4 1/2 year old son had to walk for the 2 weeks when we went as we had our 18 month old in buggy had no intention of getting another buggy and also 6 year old walked we are going in 1 week and will have buggy but for our youngest

Wow some of these 8yrs old must be really small cause my 8yrs old brother cant fit in any stroller i have seen & im not about to break my back pushin him either lol

I'm leaving in a week to go to Disney. i will likely be in the oblivious group and not see the 'big' kids in strollers cause I'm there to enjoy my vacation, not care about what parents do with their kids. They aren't my kid, I don't have to take them home with me, I can walk in the other direction, I can do any number of things. I'm at Disney to enjoy my big 3-0 with my mom (I'm single and have no kids). Then again, I work in a children's museum so I've pretty much seen it all. I occasionally do a double take but then turn my attention back to my job and not care about whatever it was that I saw (though I do have to say I did get annoyed the other day when 2 different people left their baby diapers on the floor for me to pick up but that's another issue).

I don't know that kid, I don't know what they are like. There could be any number of issues or problems or whatever that is the reason behind whatever it is the parent is doing.

My work is LOUD. Very loud. And not just because kids are screaming and having fun. Every new exhibit has a big noise(usually electric somehow) component to it. Whenever a new one comes in we ask "Great, how much noise will this make?" Ask any parent of an autistic kid who has sensory issues or any parent who has a kid with sensory issues. It is LOUD. It is within OSHA but that doesn't make the 5 year old with his hands over his ears any more comfortable. We have 2 boys that come in and wear noise cancelling headphones. Yes, I did a double take at first but I figured, hey, it keeps them happy and quiet. Who cares? They are sweet boys and their mom is very nice We host a sensory night where we turn off the noisy stuff for kids who have problems. One night a kid came tearing in before we were even ready. It was clear that the even the gates of Mordor wouldn't have stopped this child so we quickly made sure that things were off in the direction he was going and moved on.

Basically? I've learned that if you get bothered or annoyed by what other people do you're going to have a bad vacation. I'm sure you do stuff that annoys other people without you realizing it. Maybe you're one of those people that stops dead in the middle of the sidewalk to stare at something. Maybe you're one of those people who takes a picture of everything using your flash blinding everyone around. Maybe you push your 8 year old in a stroller. Whatever. No skin off my teeth. i'm not going to let any of that get in the way of my vacation. Do what you need to to make your vacation enjoyable to you.

Probably the one thing I will have to stop myself from doing is checking to make sure the kid crying mommy isn't lost since I seem to spend much of day looking for "lost moms and dads" (OK if I really thought he/she was lost I would make sure they were OK and alert a CM so the family could get reunited)

ya know, wagons, rolling luggage, etc. are all not allowed in the parks. disney knows they take up too much space, clog walkways, take up too much space on the buses.

Disney doesn't want those things because they are a trip hazard. People pull wagons and luggage behind them and can't see what they are doing. Easier for others to trip on them. You don't have as much control over something you are dragging behind you as something you are pushing right in front of you.

Rent a locker. It's cheaper. SHEESH! This is why the walkways are so congested with wheeled vehicles. People who don't even need them are using them to drag half of their life around the parks with them.

I can't believe this thread is still going! The OP asked for advice on a stroller--what type of stroller, not whether or not she should use one.She certainly didn't ask for rude comments (and yes, they were rude. If you dont think so, youre probably guilty of being rude) or parenting advice. Why do so many of you need to tell everyone what YOU do with YOUR family over and over and over again. I think you'd all be less cranky if you learned to mind your own business.

I can't believe this thread is still going! The OP asked for advice on a stroller--what type of stroller, not whether or not she should use one.She certainly didn't ask for rude comments (and yes, they were rude. If you dont think so, youre probably guilty of being rude) or parenting advice. Why do so many of you need to tell everyone what YOU do with YOUR family over and over and over again. I think you'd all be less cranky if you learned to mind your own business.

Oh how I love the irony of this post :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter