Stroller for 8 yr. old? Which one?

cmrsfraz

Mouseketeer
We have been to Disney several times so I know how hard it can be on a child walking around the park all day. In the past we have always taken our own Joovy sit and stand. But this year my kids are older and the front seat of the sit and stand just isn't an option for them. My DDs are 8yr (59 lbs and 52" tall) and 5yr (40lbs and 42" tall) I am considering renting from Kingdom Strollers because of the better price and more comfort compared to the strollers in the parks.
However, I am wondering if the Double City Elite will have enough leg room. By looking at the photo it seems like there isn't much room for their legs. The foot rest seems really close to the seat. The Mini GT, however, looks to have more leg room than the Elite. The foot rest appears to be lower down for more room for their legs.
Has anyone seen these in person before to make this comparison for me? :confused:

I am really not looking forward to hauling this big double stroller on and off the buses, but I am guessing this is my only option. Renting in the parks just seems to be silly to pay more money for a less comfortable stroller. But then again I am a little worried that these Baby Joggers will look like a "baby stroller" for my eight year old. She won't mind what she rides in as long as she is comfortable. My eight year old is a big complainer when it comes to being tired and uncomfortable!

The seat limit to the Baby Jogger is 55lbs, I think. Does your 8 yr old want to sit in a stroller?

You're going to push your 60 pound 8 year old around WDW in a stroller because she complains about being tired and uncomfortable? Yikes. Have fun with that.

Is your 8yo disabled? I'm not being snarky, I'm curious because I have son with a neuromuscular disorder and I still don't know what I'm gong to do about him. He's 40 lbs and 6 yo. He doesn't complain, he just collapses when his body gives out. I have a feeling my child would be horrified if I pushed him around in a stroller but carrying him isn't an option. :/

:surfweb:

I strongly suggest you use the search function (above, in the blue bar) to look at the many, many other threads on the topic of stuffing elementary school aged children into strollers.

It's not pretty!

Though it IS highly entertaining for anyone with an moderately evil streak. :smokin:

For the record, you can absolutely do as you please with your children. Until I discovered this board, I'd always assumed older kids being pushed around strollers were Special Needs - either intellectually or physically disabled. I've since learned otherwise!

Maybe look into special needs strollers that will hold bigger kids. My 8 year old would not ride in a baby stroller - she went at age 5, 6 and 7 and walked all 10 days each trip - she actually lasted longer than me - she and my older dd stayed pour several nights after me and ds headed back to the resort.

Maybe look into special needs strollers that will hold bigger kids. My 8 year old would not ride in a baby stroller - she went at age 5, 6 and 7 and walked all 10 days each trip - she actually lasted longer than me - she and my older dd stayed pour several nights after me and ds headed back to the resort.

Same with mine, ages were 10, 8, 6...even my 4 yr old without the stroller one night.

You're going to push your 60 pound 8 year old around WDW in a stroller because she complains about being tired and uncomfortable? Yikes. Have fun with that.

Sorry I asked. I didn't ask what everyone's opinion was of me renting a stroller for my 8 year old. I only asked for a comparison of the two strollers.

Sorry I asked. I didn't ask what everyone's opinion was of me renting a stroller for my 8 year old. I only asked for a comparison of the two strollers.

Welcome to the judgement zone! Try to ignore the rudeness. I'm sorry to say that it's been VERY mild so far. It will get worse, as soon as one particular child rearing genius shows up...Now, on to the question at hand.

If you go on Kingdoms website, under reviews, the first link, there's a video of the City Elite Double. It may give you a little more insight about the leg room.

I would definitely check the weight limit on those doubles, and be sure to check and see if it is a combined weight for both seats.

If you want to push around an 8 year old, that is certainly one way to burn off any extra mickey bars, but make sure the specs on that stroller are up to the weight limit of both your kids.

You're going to need at least the Elite model of the Baby Jogger as far as weight, but the issue you will face is the height limit. I believe your older child is over the recommended height, so he might not be very comfortable. The push chairs have more room, but I didn't see them available in a double.

Had the GT double fom kingdom strollers this year for 4&6 yo daughters. My 6 yo was around 48" tall and 48 lbs. she was pretty comfortable but not able to stretch out. I do think the GT is the best bet for taller kids (not sure about special needs chairs as I did not look at these). My Buy Buy Baby store had the GT so I took the girls there to try it out. Great service from kingdom strollers and I completely agree with your reasoning about renting a better stroller off site and less $$$.

I would seriously consider renting through a company that has BOB's or Mountain Buggies.

We tested the Baby Joggers with our younger 2 specifically for Disney. My youngest was 42in and 40'ish lbs at the time and the seat was SO small for her. My then almost 6 yr old couldn't fit period. We ended up renting a double mountain buggy (which we also own but we flew so didn't want to bring it) and it was great.
While our oldest walks 100% of the time she does sit in the stroller on breaks occasionally but even at 65lbs now we could still push it easily.

I cant compare the strollers, sorry, maybe call kingdom strollers and ask them. We are renting a stroller from baby wheels and they have been awesome about questions, etc. I also know kingdom strollers has a FB page and I see lots of people posting questions there.

Another thought, I think double strollers are a huge pain to travel on/off buses with. Have you considered maybe doing a single stroller and having your girls switch off? Then if you really feel you need another, you can rent another single or get one in the park? This is what we are doing for our two youngest... I hate double strollers trying to get around, much rather push two singles if I have to have two... hoping we can get by with one!

Good luck! Do what works best for you!

When my kids were 4 and 6 on up, we had one single stroller and dds shared it. Obviously younger dd got to ride in it more, but there were times when younger dd would walk and older dd would ride.

At those ages I understood that they might need to rest some, but thought that there was no need for a double stroller.

Emily

Another mom who wouldn't get a double stroller. I would let them share one, if necessary.

Here's a few things that have worked for us:

Before travelling, take the kids on family walks to build their stamina. We refer to this as "Disney conditioning".

Let the kids know ahead of time that whining and complaining indicates a tired child who needs a nap. I would give the complainer one warning--then, if the complaining continued, take them back the hotel for a nap/rst break. Only one parent needs to take the child back. If the child is genuinely tired, this will help her immensely; if she's just complaining for the sake of it, she quickly realizes that she's missing out.

Consider taking a daily scheduled break if yoru children can't handle the rigors of WDW.

For a late night, we frequently put one kid up on DH's shoulders, while the other rode in the stroller back to the car/bus stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter