Strikes in France

From BBC News

French Senate passes pension bill

As many as three million protesters have taken to the streets in recent weeks The French Senate has passed a controversial pension reform bill, which has caused a series of strikes and protests around France.

The senators approved President Nicolas Sarkozy's plan to raise the retirement age from 60 to 62, and it could become law as early as next week.

Mr Sarkozy says the measure is necessary to reduce the deficit.

There was a report on the news this morning with a French correspondent and she said that things should start to get back to normal shortly. The French are on their half term holidays this week and so this would help. The blockading of the petrol refineries has been very unpopular and the Police have now stepped in and taken these back over.

Deliveries to petrol stations on the motorways have the priority to help the French get away on their holidays.

Arrived at lunchtime today.

Stopped for diesel on the A1 about 60 miles from Disney -no queues but limited to EUR30.00

Didn't appear to be any limit on petrol

Garages on the A104 and A4 had massive queues (about 300 cars).

Just got home today noticed 2 petrol stations on our way back to the airport, one with enormous queues, the other totally empty, presumably with no petrol. Taxi driver said it is getting very difficult for them to get enough fuel. At DLP no obvious signs of any problems there, shuttle buses all running as regularly as usual.
We were very lucky and despite being told our flight was in danger of being disrupted both out and in departed on time.
Hope everyone else manages to get away on time without any difficulties. :goodvibes

Jill, so glad you got there (and back) safely! After reading your posts, I couldn't help but be thinking of you!! :)

Just heard on france24 news that most strikers are returning to work today, all blockades on depots have been removed, the protesters have voted to end their blockades on refineries and "only" 1 in 3 fuel stations are waiting on fuel deliveries. Even the bin men are returning to work :thumbsup2

I think it said students are planning more protests but not to the scale it has been.

I think that may take some pressure off some travellers as well as those living there :goodvibes

Rosabelle x

As we are going to buy annual passes we've booked for just before Xmas too staying at the Ibis. I have bought thermals and ski underwear for the kids (on offer in Lidl!) for Dec but thinking I may put them in the car just in case for this week!! Its cold here in Portsmouth too had to de-ice my car this morning!
Have a good hol!! If you have internet and find a garage with petrol - let us all know!!!!

:rotfl: my boys have that Lidl thermals set too!
TBH they didnt really feel the cold this trip ( kids never do though do they ! :confused3 ) and didnt even wear their gloves most of the time ! :scared1:

I was pretty cold but a base layer + warm coat + scarf and gloves meant I was toasty oh and boots plus warm welly socks underneath :rotfl:

weather wasnt as good as last yr,but on the whole still really good
apart from the thunder and lightning + rain on sat evening

Jealous that you are going back @ xmas :( ( actually i'm not as we went in Dec one yr and that was tooooo cold for me! lol )
but wish we had another trip planned

Hope you had fab time :goodvibes

x

Arrived Monday and returned late Wednesday night (Via Lille). No delays/problems at all and the weather was fantastic :thumbsup2

We are thinking about coming in a couple of weeks -- Around Nov 19. Do you think we will have any troubles getting from Orly to DLRP and back? We have never gone from Orly to DLRP - always been CDG.

Is it possible all this strike stuff will be over by then..?

--Heather

Ah yes - the rain Sat eve! We arrived at DLP about 5pm Sat and were just queueing to get our tickets when the heavens opened!! I was a trifle worried that is was going to be like that all week but we were blessed with lovely sunny, if a little cold, days for the rest of our time.
Will have to try and get the campsite again if The Sun run the hols again for Easter time - its certainly good value!
Glad you enjoyed your hol!

:rotfl: my boys have that Lidl thermals set too!
TBH they didnt really feel the cold this trip ( kids never do though do they ! :confused3 ) and didnt even wear their gloves most of the time ! :scared1:

I was pretty cold but a base layer + warm coat + scarf and gloves meant I was toasty oh and boots plus warm welly socks underneath :rotfl:

weather wasnt as good as last yr,but on the whole still really good
apart from the thunder and lightning + rain on sat evening

Jealous that you are going back @ xmas :( ( actually i'm not as we went in Dec one yr and that was tooooo cold for me! lol )
but wish we had another trip planned

Hope you had fab time :goodvibes

x

We are thinking about coming in a couple of weeks -- Around Nov 19. Do you think we will have any troubles getting from Orly to DLRP and back? We have never gone from Orly to DLRP - always been CDG.

Is it possible all this strike stuff will be over by then..?

--Heather

the strikes are still going on a little bit, mostly with the SNCF TGV trains..
but RER B line (the one you take to CDG airport) is still running at a 1 in 2 service or something like that

But i believe ORLY is on RER C, and that's running normal.. and RER A (the one I live on!) is running fine aswell.

So you shouldn't have no problems

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter