Strikes in France

disney_princess_85

DIS Veteran
As some of you may already know, French unions are on strike today. According to this article on the BBC News website, further demonstrations are expected on Saturday.

This isn't great news for us, as we were planning to go to Paris for the day on Saturday. :sad2:

Anyone driving to DLP in the next few days should be aware that Total are shuting down its oil refineries in France. Total have said that they have enough fuel in its depots to continue supplying fuel to France's filling stations but be aware that prices might rise due to panic buying.

Strikes to shut half of France's oil refineries
(AFP) – 1 hour ago

PARIS — Total oil group said on Wednesday that strikes by its workers were forcing it to shut down all six of its refineries in France -- half the total number in the country.

But a company spokesman said Total had enough fuel in its depots to continue supplying fuel to France's filling stations.

He said the firm was starting to shut down its refineries because unions decided to renew a strike they called Tuesday as part of a nationwide protest against pension reform that saw more than a million take to the streets.

At least 11 of mainland France's 12 refineries were affected by that strike, including the six run by Total.

Anyone driving to DLP in the next few days should be aware that Total are shuting down its oil refineries in France. Total have said that they have enough fuel in its depots to continue supplying fuel to France's filling stations but be aware that prices might rise due to panic buying.

We are going a week on Saturday - driving - and it's something we are keeping an eye on. We *think* that if we fill up at Dover, we should have enough fuel to get us to Disney and back if necessary, but it is a worry.

We are going a week on Saturday - driving - and it's something we are keeping an eye on. We *think* that if we fill up at Dover, we should have enough fuel to get us to Disney and back if necessary, but it is a worry.

Hiya, just to let you know last year we filled up at Dover....got lost finding Disney (so add an hour to the usual trip) and didn't need to fill up until we were off the boat back in the UK. So you should be ok :goodvibes

I've also managed to get there and back with fuel to spare...but then I have a diesel. I'm also driving down a week on Saturday, will definitely top up before we get on the chunnel.

oh no I am sure we won't get there and back as we only have a 35 litre petrol tank. We are going on the 8th of November I can only hope it's sorted by then. Second thoughts we could fill a jerry can and take some with us.

How many miles is it in total Chunnel - Disney return?

oh no I am sure we won't get there and back as we only have a 35 litre petrol tank. We are going on the 8th of November I can only hope it's sorted by then. Second thoughts we could fill a jerry can and take some with us.

Check that you can do this before hand, I know that petrol is carried in the car engines, but I'm not sure if they would allow it separately in a jerry can????? Maybe a fire risk????

I'll be there on the 8th too by the way, Eurostar for me as I'm 10 mins walk form the station:woohoo:

392 miles return from Calais to DLRP (on the A1 route, viamichelin.com).

Although I can understand the reason for this I think both Eurotunnel and Ferry operators will not allow you to travel with fuel in a can :)

392 miles return from Calais to DLRP (on the A1 route, viamichelin.com).

Thanks for this no way we can do that far. Max to our full 35 litre tank is around 300 miles if we are lucky. Still as long as we can get to the magic I am not so worried about coming home.

Off to check Eurotunnel Q & A re the Jerry can.

Lisa C - You are so lucky living so close, the parking cost a fortune, part of the reason we are going Euro tunnel this time (also cause of Free Euro tunnnel via Tesco Deals and plus you can stuff the car full).
You could make some extra dosh by charging people to leave their cars in your drive.

Lisa C - You are so lucky living so close, the parking cost a fortune, part of the reason we are going Euro tunnel this time (also cause of Free Euro tunnnel via Tesco Deals and plus you can stuff the car full).
You could make some extra dosh by charging people to leave their cars in your drive.

That made me giggle! I was able to walk up the other night and meet someone of the train! Was way cool!
I always joke about opening my house up for those who are staying over night and the parking - I have no clue how much it costs, but I know a taxi from my house cost £3.50 :lmao:
(I think the beauty of it is being able to walk into the station and book my tickets face to face - even if this time the woman at the desk gave my DD's name as my surname this time.....classic! She just crossed it off and WROTE my surname! I know there won't be any trouble though as she put a note on the computer :thumbsup2)

With great difficulty unfortunately. :sad2: When do you land? Do you have a private shuttle booked or were you planning to travel by train?

Ok so if the trains aren't working how on earth am I supposed to get around?????

If you were only planning on getting between the airport and your Disney hotel, that won't be a problem, as there are private shuttles you can book for those journeys.

I land at about 10am Tuesday morning. I am supposed to take the 1pm TGV to Marne La Vallee and then RER to Bussy St Georges where my hotel is. I am kinda freaking out about this!!!

hiya
just returned, and tbh there are reports that cdg airport is running low on fuel and there is talk of grounding planes from tomorrow......... how true this is, i dont know, but we have heard 2 reports (diff ppl) of this, so am guessing its getting serious over there....

lots of riots have been shown on tv that happened yesterday, and not heard of news of things being sorted....

relaly hope they do sort it so it doesnt impact on ppl too much......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter