Staying on Property vs off Property

I just can't imagine spending more than a day or two in a hotel room when I can get a 2 BR condo for less. :confused3 We can trade into a DVC 2 BR for about $200/night, which is pretty reasonable -- except we can almost always find an equally nice but larger 2 BR offsite for under $50/night. Orlando is overbuilt, and there are always deals in my experience. Disney magic is too variable to count on, and I suspect that, even if some of us turn out to be really attuned to the whole Disney bubble thing, it wouldn't justify spending four times as much.

But we'll probably give it a shot once we're traveling with fewer kids anyhow. :rolleyes: Can't really compare until we've truly been there, and we'd plan to spend time on the resort and check out the pool. But only for a night or two if it's a hotel room; then we'd shift somewhere with some space! :)

You don't need to be staying there for that. We were wandering the resorts pin trading once and a couple of times either the person they were pin trading with or someone else called them over to the front desk and handed out goodies. I know the kids scored beads at POFQ and balloon swords... somewhere. :p OKW, maybe? And it seems like there was something else, but it wasn't as popular as the beads or balloons.

Pin trading at the resorts is particularly fun because a lot of them have a big board either on display or back behind a desk somewhere that they'll haul out for kids if you're there when it's slow, which about blew my kids minds with pin overload the first time it happened. :cool2:

I agree. We love the Disney resorts for the theming and dining options and discovered we can still visit and spend time at the Disney resorts without actually staying there :thumbsup2 On our last trip we stayed in a condo at Windsor Hills but visited the Contemporary for our Chef Mickey's ADR and the Polynesian for our 'Ohana ADR. We had to cancel our Boma ADR but since Windsor Hills is only about a six minute or so drive away from Animal Kingdom Lodge (via Sherberth Road) we still went there to admire the architecture and artwork in the main lobby, explore the savanna and outdoor areas, and also shop in their gift shop (which is really nice). We thought it was well worth the visit and we definitely got our Disney resort fix on our trip :goodvibes

I hear ya. Hubby and I are fine in a queen-size at home, but on vacation we sleep better in a king. I think you ought to be able to pay extra and get a king, but of course there are plenty of horror stories going around where people paid extra for this or that and Disney overbooked, so they were down graded. Still would up the odds of getting what you want if they had that as a category.

I think they're brilliantly thought out. It's just that the thinking goes, "We need to get people into the bubble, and then we need to get them spending lots of money." They don't want people hanging out in the rooms or spending too much time in the pools; they want them in the parks, stores or restaurants spending money. So the resorts are stunner beautiful, which convinces people they want to stay there, but then rooms are tiny and the pools and hot tubs crowded.

When people say, "This room is dark and small and I can't take it any more, but the pool and hot tub are crowded, so I don't want to hang out there, either. Guess I'll go wander the shops/get a drink or snack/hit Downtown Disney and kill some time," the Disney Powers That Be rub their hands together and gloat, "Everything is going according to plan." ;)

Yes, the Disney folks are definitely brilliant when you figure out the grand scheme of things! We have had the opportunity to stay both onsite and offsite and I can say that I like both for different reasons and there are pros and cons to both. We stayed onsite at All Star Music in a family suite for our first WDW trip two years ago and had an enjoyable stay and thought that was a good choice for our first family WDW trip. This year we took the plunge and stayed offsite at Windsor Hills in a nice 3 bedroom condo and had such a good experience and got such a great deal for the space and amenities our large family needs that we feel that this is going to be the way to go for us from now on for future trips. In spite of how much we love the all inclusive aspect of staying onsite and the theming and energy of the Disney resorts, it just works out better for our family to get a condo and we still have a very magical trip. If staying DVC was in the cards for us then we would have the best of both worlds, but unless we hit the lottery or are gifted with an unexpected inheritance then even renting DVC points wouldn't be something we could do (since we would have to stay in a 2 bedroom DVC unit) unless we save, save, and save and not go back to Disney for another five years or longer which is too long for my family of Disney fans to wait to go back :laughing:

Totally agree with you, Bellamouse. If I didn't have kids, I doubt I'd stay onsite.

Oh - make no mistake, I don't see the evening (daily) marshmallow roast (at all moderates and deluxe resorts) or outdoor movie (all resorts) as Disney magical. My kids are low key 10 year olds, who would rather spend only 2 or 3 hours at a park in the morning, then lunch, then "AC break" at hotel, then swim, dinner, marshmallows, movie. They just don't want to get back in the car (or bus) to go to fireworks or anything else at night. So I think that is why they like the Disney resorts - the low key, right there at our hotel room door, evening entertainment. Oh - and the burgers, fries and milkshakes (at POR, POFQ, POP) at the food court (which they can walk to by themselves).

TMI, I know, but just so some offsite lovers understand us onsite people! I don't like cramming into a small hotel room either, but they make it so easy for me - no where else can my 10 year olds safely (in my opinion): walk to a pool and swim (because no one lifeguards like Disney resorts); get their own meals at a food court; and partake in evening entertainment. It is the only type of vacation where I actually get a break.

King rooms are an upcharge; same price as river view. I can't post link but if you go to portorleans dot org, or google "Mousesavers rack 2014" you'll see the rates for each category, by hotel. Off the top of my head its about $20 more. Still, without kids, why bother when you have WBC with a balcony, living room, and big frig. :)

Those are all really valid points that make total sense why you would rather stay onsite. So many things that don't even enter my consciousness having never had any kids.

I'm still annoyed though that they charge MORE for a King. It makes no sense. Two people in a room, using fewer resources (water, towels, only one bed to change the sheets on, shampoos, soaps, etc.), but it costs more than if you had three or four people in a room using so much more? I realize it's not about that for them, they charge a premium on the room type they have fewer of (supply and demand) because they can. But still. Way to penalize people who don't have kids. :rolleyes: Not sure why they think that's a good strategy, other than it must work for them.

But I can't help but wonder how many dollars they are missing out on (mine and others like me) with these strategies. I guess I will never know. :)

My kids are low key 10 year olds, who would rather spend only 2 or 3 hours at a park in the morning, then lunch, then "AC break" at hotel, then swim, dinner, marshmallows, movie. They just don't want to get back in the car (or bus) to go to fireworks or anything else at night.

:thumbsup2

My kids are older, but that's how we vacation when we're not doing the Disney parks or SeaWorld; usually head out in the morning to do something for a while, then take it easy at the resort in the afternoon and evening. They do kick it up a bit for the Orlando parks, but even then, some of them are happy to bail around noon, and only my eldest son wants to go, go, go every day (and he's old enough he just does stuff on his own).

That's one of the reasons I want to give onsite a shot; the kids like the looks of a lot of the pools and most of them like to wander the grounds and would get into the other extras WDW offers onsiters.

But I can't help but wonder how many dollars they are missing out on (mine and others like me) with these strategies.

Possibly. But so long as Disney's filling their rooms, I don't think they're worried about it. :p They could get more of my money doing things differently as well, but the truth is I'm not the "big spender" personality they're looking for, so I don't think they're interested in catering to my preferences. :upsidedow

Possibly. But so long as Disney's filling their rooms, I don't think they're worried about it. :p They could get more of my money doing things differently as well, but the truth is I'm not the "big spender" personality they're looking for, so I don't think they're interested in catering to my preferences. :upsidedow

Right, but are they filling all their rooms? If they were, why would they need all the gimmicks (free dining, room discounts, PINS, etc.) to get people in? I'm thinking some simple changes would sway me over and possibly get me to spend more than I spend now on rooms. It's all about value for me. Value meaning what you get for the price you pay. Not value = lowest price (Disney's definition of "value"). Paying more would be a possibility if I actually got something more. Or at least fairly equal. But I cannot see paying more to get less.

Also, if I'm spending $50 to $100 a night on a room somewhere, well that's still $50 to $100 a night of my money that they are not getting. Wouldn't they want that $50 to $100 as opposed to not getting it at all? I'm still perplexed by their business model. There must be something more to it that I just don't know/understand.

Right, but are they filling all their rooms?

No idea. I know some analysts think they aren't doing so well (although their estimates are still higher than the rest of Orlando), but Disney doesn't actually post their occupancy rates (rather, the information they do give out is for the whole system, not just WDW). I also know there aren't discounts and deals that match the offerings a few years ago, and they're kicking up the cost considerable, both of which I would think mean they're filling them pretty well. So you got me. I do know kicking up the prices they way they have for 2014 would not be my approach if they're worried about filling the rooms.

So they could have great occupancy rates, but they're adding these various room breakdowns and kicking up the cost to (1) see what the market will bear and (2) make the discounts look better. I haven't personally crunched the numbers, but going on someone else's claim, if a 20% discount doesn't get the price down to what rack rates were a few years back, then, discounts or no, I'm thinking Disney's not having too much trouble filling the rooms.

But, could be they're just desperate and kicking up the rack rates in hopes that there are enough loyal people to pay the higher prices and take up the slack. :confused3

Why do I stay offsite? Crowds.

On our last trip we did a little resort hopping and went over to check out AoA because I had contemplated getting a family suite. It cemented my decision to stay offsite like nothing ever has. The food court was crowded and loud. The pool was even worse. Lines to get on buses at the end of the day were huge and the buses were packed.

I can tolerate crowds while I'm in the theme park, but when I'm outside of it, I want to relax and have some time to unwind. The pool at Windsor Hills is beautiful and I never had a problem finding a chair or a table, we had a 3BR condo so I could take a nap in my king size bed while DH watched TV in the living room and my kids could just go in the kitchen and make some lunch or grab a snack.

Magic is what you make of it - I had some incredibly magical moments and they were probably even better because everyone was well rested and had time to themselves.

We stay onsite for many reasons : safety, transportation, extra park hours. Although always with a discount. ..

On our last trip we did a little resort hopping and went over to check out AoA because I had contemplated getting a family suite. It cemented my decision to stay offsite like nothing ever has. The food court was crowded and loud. The pool was even worse. Lines to get on buses at the end of the day were huge and the buses were packed.

I can tolerate crowds while I'm in the theme park, but when I'm outside of it, I want to relax and have some time to unwind. The pool at Windsor Hills is beautiful and I never had a problem finding a chair or a table, we had a 3BR condo so I could take a nap in my king size bed while DH watched TV in the living room and my kids could just go in the kitchen and make some lunch or grab a snack.

Magic is what you make of it - I had some incredibly magical moments and they were probably even better because everyone was well rested and had time to themselves.

:thumbsup2

Right, but are they filling all their rooms? If they were, why would they need all the gimmicks (free dining, room discounts, PINS, etc.) to get people in? I'm thinking some simple changes would sway me over and possibly get me to spend more than I spend now on rooms. It's all about value for me. Value meaning what you get for the price you pay. Not value = lowest price (Disney's definition of "value"). Paying more would be a possibility if I actually got something more. Or at least fairly equal. But I cannot see paying more to get less.

Also, if I'm spending $50 to $100 a night on a room somewhere, well that's still $50 to $100 a night of my money that they are not getting. Wouldn't they want that $50 to $100 as opposed to not getting it at all? I'm still perplexed by their business model. There must be something more to it that I just don't know/understand.

I totally agree with the value comment. I guess we are the "big spenders" they want to get in. We had a 2 bed villa at BLT booked, one of the most expensive rooms on property. We had the dining plan booked, park hopper tickets and VIP tours. It was all within what we could "afford". But then the fall discounts came out and BLT was excluded and all of a sudden, I just didn't see the value anymore. It wasn't about spending less per se, it was about what I was getting for my money. And a cramped 2 bedroom (we have a 4 bed at WBC) just wasn't shouting "value" to me. So they lost me. I'm still giving them money for the VIP tours, but bought tickets through UCT (made less money off me for those) and no longer qualify for dining plan, so will no doubt eat off property a bit more (which is a relief). So sometimes even the big spenders don't see the value!

This gives me something to think about. We are toying with the idea of staying at Art of Animation for our next trip because once our new baby turns three years old we will exceed the occupancy limit for the AOA suites, so this might be our last chance to experience a stay there. However, the only thing that really wows us about the resort is the theming of the pools and grounds. I've heard that the main pool can get rather crowded and loud and we are concerned that the layout of the family suite with just one queen bed and two full size pull out beds wouldn't work out for our soon to be family of seven; especially with having two kids who don't like sharing a bed or pull out beds and also after experiencing a stay in a 3 bedroom condo with two king size beds, two twin size beds, and one full size pullout bed. When we visited the pool at Windsor Hills there were only a few other families there and we love that the pool is zero depth entry and that there is also a waterslide and small splash pad area. The pool doesn't have the colorful character theming found at a Disney resort pool, but it is a beautiful, family friendly pool and it fit the bill just fine for my kiddos. I think that since many people rent the townhouses and homes with private pools that the main pool doesn't really get crowded, which is a plus in my book. :thumbsup2

The reason I choose to stay off site is because I can get a much better room, and better amenities, off site for less than a value motel room on property.

I was going to do a cheap trip during F&W, and not rent a car. Then I remembered the last time I stayed at WDW without a car and vowed I would never do it again. I do not find waiting for and riding crowded buses *magical*.

So if I'm going to get a car anyway, I might as well investigate an off site hotel. I can get a 1 bedroom with a king bed and kitchen at a hotel with a hot tub, free hot breakfast and some dinners, for about the same price as a motel room at ASMo. But I have to rent a car. The only sticking point is the rental car is currently coming in at almost $400.

So I don't know what to do. Hope the car rental price comes down.

Try www.hotwire.com to get a car. We got a great deal there on a car for our trip to F&W. $137 for a week including taxes and fees. That is for a midsize.

Thanks for the suggestion. What company did you end up with? Part of my problem is I like to stick with rental car companies I am familiar with like Dollar, National, Hertz, etc.

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion. What company did you end up with? Part of my problem is I like to stick with rental car companies I am familiar with like Dollar, National, Hertz, etc.

Thanks!

I got Thrifty.

I have only ever used Priceline before (many years now), and have been very happy doing it that way, getting great deals and only name brand companies. But someone on this board suggested Hotwire and I tried it this time. I like it better than Priceline for two reasons. With Hotwire I was able to choose the specific car company I wanted (Priceline you get what you get, although I have only ever gotten good companies), and also, with Hotwire it's just a reservation that is actually cancellable as opposed to Priceline where I have to pay upfront when I bid and I cannot cancel.

I have never needed to cancel, and I'm not really that afraid of pre-paying, but if I don't absolutely have to, then it's just that much better.

I also thought that I could bid way, way low on Priceline right before the trip and maybe even save a few more bucks, and if I get lucky then I can cancel the Hotwire reservation. But I doubt I will get much better than 138 on a midsize for a week.

We have stayed both on and off property. We are headed back in December and my kids and DH all requested off property. It's about the space for us. My kids don't like sharing beds and my husband likes to have lots of space. So for short stays onsite is great or if I'm going with one or two kids but I can't do hotel rooms with kids and even the DVC villas are a little tight for all of us!

Bellamouse said:
I got Thrifty.

I have only ever used Priceline before (many years now), and have been very happy doing it that way, getting great deals and only name brand companies. But someone on this board suggested Hotwire and I tried it this time. I like it better than Priceline for two reasons. With Hotwire I was able to choose the specific car company I wanted (Priceline you get what you get, although I have only ever gotten good companies), and also, with Hotwire it's just a reservation that is actually cancellable as opposed to Priceline where I have to pay upfront when I bid and I cannot cancel.

I have never needed to cancel, and I'm not really that afraid of pre-paying, but if I don't absolutely have to, then it's just that much better.

I also thought that I could bid way, way low on Priceline right before the trip and maybe even save a few more bucks, and if I get lucky then I can cancel the Hotwire reservation. But I doubt I will get much better than 138 on a midsize for a week.

Priceline uses major rental agencies in the airport. We had Avis in August.

Just got back from WDW and a stay at Caribbean Beach....here are my thoughts.

I have been to WDW 14 times in the last 11 years and for the majority of those, stayed offsite due to cost. We stayed at Shades of Green during our second trip, the Polynesian last January, and just got back from Caribbean Beach yesterday. The 10 trips other trips, we either stayed at offsite resorts or rented a house near Disney.

As of this moment, I can not see us ever staying on property again to be honest. We "qualified" for free dining on this trip and that was what convinced us to stay on property again but it isn't free. It's simply absorbed into the much higher price of staying onsite. Although the resort grounds were beautiful, the room was small and dated. The food court area was crazy crowded, the service was less than spectacular (no coffee available several times at food court, coffee pods not replaced in room until I asked for them). And I apologize to everyone who loves Disney transportation, but it is terrible. One day we waited for 40 minutes to get on a bus from the resort to Hollywood Studios. Most trips from the resort to a park or back were between 40 minutes to an hour because the bus needs to stop at a dozen places around the resort on it's loop. And they can keep the "Magical Express" too as we sat on the bus at the airport for 25 minutes before it even departed only to stop at 3 other resorts before ours. From the time we got on the bus at the airport until it dropped us off at Caribbean Beach, it took over an hour and 15 minutes.

So, for me, a trip to Disney can be relaxing offsite or a perpetual bus ride onsite. I don't enjoy sitting on the bus so I'll rent a car from now on. And since I'm renting a car, I'll save money and stay offsite. To me, there's nothing "magical" with riding a bus.

Just got back from WDW and a stay at Caribbean Beach....here are my thoughts.

I have been to WDW 14 times in the last 11 years and for the majority of those, stayed offsite due to cost. We stayed at Shades of Green during our second trip, the Polynesian last January, and just got back from Caribbean Beach yesterday. The 10 trips other trips, we either stayed at offsite resorts or rented a house near Disney.

As of this moment, I can not see us ever staying on property again to be honest. We "qualified" for free dining on this trip and that was what convinced us to stay on property again but it isn't free. It's simply absorbed into the much higher price of staying onsite. Although the resort grounds were beautiful, the room was small and dated. The food court area was crazy crowded, the service was less than spectacular (no coffee available several times at food court, coffee pods not replaced in room until I asked for them). And I apologize to everyone who loves Disney transportation, but it is terrible. One day we waited for 40 minutes to get on a bus from the resort to Hollywood Studios. Most trips from the resort to a park or back were between 40 minutes to an hour because the bus needs to stop at a dozen places around the resort on it's loop. And they can keep the "Magical Express" too as we sat on the bus at the airport for 25 minutes before it even departed only to stop at 3 other resorts before ours. From the time we got on the bus at the airport until it dropped us off at Caribbean Beach, it took over an hour and 15 minutes.

So, for me, a trip to Disney can be relaxing offsite or a perpetual bus ride onsite. I don't enjoy sitting on the bus so I'll rent a car from now on. And since I'm renting a car, I'll save money and stay offsite. To me, there's nothing "magical" with riding a bus.

I totally agree. The transportation is definitely NOT magical!!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I totally agree. The transportation is definitely NOT magical!!!

Last night at Epcot, some friends who are staying at POFQ and we left at exactly the same time. We drove the 10 minutes to our condo and they took the bus to POFQ. I called them when we got to the condo and they weren't even on the bus yet. Great transportation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter